Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol I left Gary Indiana out for a reason

Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Gary Indiana let me say it once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

buy your Allen Edmonds while you can because as a company they are beyond hosed

also why are you arguing Des Moines for climate change refuge? when we’re really hosed climate-wise, fresh water will be where everyone heads, meaning the Great Lakes. Green Bay, MKE, Chicago, Cleveland, those will be the places

wisconsin and michigan are probably not the best ideas based on what their state governments have been doing to local infrastructure

chicago has a reasonable amount of tech, as do the twin cities though the latter is mainly medical and retail stuff, not shiny startups

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought it was called Jerry Indiana.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol I left Gary Indiana out for a reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNM5g2ARGyY

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

feedmegin posted:

It really isn't. Check out the last couple of pages of the Oldie Programmers thread in the CoC.

genuinely didn’t realize it was how!!

he’s a treasure :allears:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I’ve never heard of this how!! person other than his current insanity. what’s the story?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Achmed Jones posted:

I’ve never heard of this how!! person other than his current insanity. what’s the story?

his current insanity pretty much is the story

they ask for help or feedback then refute it in (often fallacious) argument when it's given

i'm convinced they're just having a stymie-style larf

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

everywhere east of the dry line is like that

ah yeah that makes sense - I just don't have much experience with climate outside the Midwest other than summer in Seattle and winter in NY

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The place I did my node.js tech interview with this morning just called me saying they want to move forward with some references. I assume after that they will be proceeding with an offer. The recruiter said to think of a salary range and let her know with the referneces. Any advice? This seems to be moving really fast

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

barkbell posted:

The place I did my node.js tech interview with this morning just called me saying they want to move forward with some references. I assume after that they will be proceeding with an offer. The recruiter said to think of a salary range and let her know with the referneces. Any advice? This seems to be moving really fast

references typically come last, when you have pretty much everything ironed out, including price, and it's down to you and another finalist or something

giving up your references early will just tire them out / piss them off

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Wait what. They called me asking for references and also to give them a range since I said I hadn't considered one quite yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

barkbell posted:

Wait what. They called me asking for references and also to give them a range since I said I hadn't considered one quite yet.

Tire out the references, that is, I think

Seems to me there's no point in giving references unless an offer is on the table--and them asking for your range is a last ditch effort to get you to speak up first. If it were me and I were feeling confident/unanxious (ha!), I'd email something back about accepting industry standard rates, or whatever the language would be--there's examples in this thread--and ignore the request for references until you are definitely offered or offer-immediately-pending

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The recruiter said this is the last step of the process. No more interviews. I should probably e-mail back asking for a discussion of benefits.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

barkbell posted:

The recruiter said this is the last step of the process. No more interviews. I should probably e-mail back asking for a discussion of benefits.

You're in a great position. Hold steady and whatever you do, do not give them a number.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It seems that the "never give a number" advice isn't 100% ironclad, but drat near, yes

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I was very lucky in the job I just accepted. They asked me for a number, I decided "we're at the end of this process, let's put my number out there" and they came back the next week with an extra 15k on top because the CEO decided to stop asking for a number and make salaries data-driven to eliminate unconscious biases when hiring women.

I'm just sitting there thinking "poo poo I was expecting them to negotiate me down"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
gettin laid off at the end of september, whooo. havent had to look for a job in close to 10 years. linkedin still the goto for that? got my first job though craigslist so idk

asur
Dec 28, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

I was very lucky in the job I just accepted. They asked me for a number, I decided "we're at the end of this process, let's put my number out there" and they came back the next week with an extra 15k on top because the CEO decided to stop asking for a number and make salaries data-driven to eliminate unconscious biases when hiring women.

I'm just sitting there thinking "poo poo I was expecting them to negotiate me down"

This is the reason you don't give a number. Chances are very high that the range is higher than 15k more and you could have asked for more.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Achmed Jones posted:

how!!'s first post was a long winded tale about showing up at a new job as a junior dev, looking at the code base for a couple hours, and coming back to declare that the only possible path forward was a ground-up rewrite. the question was "how do i make them see my obvious brilliance?"

up next in the oldie thread, on the current re-reg, how!! came in with this glorious post describing a 3 hour workday where his 'boss' would write tickets, he would close them out in ~15 minutes each, until the boss got bored. the question wasn't "how do i keep myself sharp in this weak sauce environment", it was "how can i get these hours at my next place". warnings about the tech atrophy went unheeded.

now, 7 years into a programming career, how!! swooped into the oldie thread to whinge about "oversaturation," which he then goes on to define as "a company refusing to hire talent for any reason outside of sheer technical competency" and makes clear that he is unwilling to whiteboard, take-home, or even wag the dog on basic behavioral questions

how!! is a 1-year-10-times developer and a bottomless pit into which any and all advice can be aimed without consequence. dunk on him at your leisure, don't pretend that it's for anyone but the peanut gallery

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

how!!'s first post was a long winded tale about showing up at a new job as a junior dev, looking at the code base for a couple hours, and coming back to declare that the only possible path forward was a ground-up rewrite. the question was "how do i make them see my obvious brilliance?"

up next in the oldie thread, on the current re-reg, how!! came in with this glorious post describing a 3 hour workday where his 'boss' would write tickets, he would close them out in ~15 minutes each, until the boss got bored. the question wasn't "how do i keep myself sharp in this weak sauce environment", it was "how can i get these hours at my next place". warnings about the tech atrophy went unheeded.

now, 7 years into a programming career, how!! swooped into the oldie thread to whinge about "oversaturation," which he then goes on to define as "a company refusing to hire talent for any reason outside of sheer technical competency" and makes clear that he is unwilling to whiteboard, take-home, or even wag the dog on basic behavioral questions

how!! is a 1-year-10-times developer and a bottomless pit into which any and all advice can be aimed without consequence. dunk on him at your leisure, don't pretend that it's for anyone but the peanut gallery

:drat:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

How!! is the programmer we all secretly aspire to be

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm doing well, thanks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the smarter versions of how!! go into product management or sales after a while

or I guess the more personable ones

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Don't forget the original... nbv4

Which led to this thing of beauty...

That Turkey Story posted:

I work as a programmer coding software for an automatic sewing machine that runs entirely on cow manure to be used primarily by wives of cattle farmers (not even kidding). Despite how it sounds, we somehow have a steady stream of consumers and the software itself is surprisingly complicated -- the machine manages all different kinds of needles and threads, switching between them via a simple interface and it alerts the user when spools are running low, etc. It's not exactly the most fun work I've done, but it's unique and it pays well.

Anyway, the code-base is absolutely garbage and it makes heavy use of factories for creating any and all objects. What's even worse is that the coding standard here for factories is to use all single letter identifiers that consist of the first letter of the word that they represent. The exception to this rule is that if you want to represent something that is two or more words long, you use the first letter of each of those words (I.E. the generic factory for creating objects that represent "Needles" is a global object simply called "n" and the factory that produces objects that represent "Tatting Needles" is called "tn" ). Furthermore, we have a strict versioning convention where you append "v#" to any new factory name that is a revised version of another factory where # is the version number). For instance, at some point early on in development before I got here, the type for representing upholstery needle's was totally revamped and a new type was created -- rather than reuse the same factory name, the old one still exists, but if you want the new type, you have to use the "unv2" factory, where "unv2" stands for upholstery needle version 2. Couple this with the fact that there are pretty much no comments and you get impossible to read code that you have to analyze to figure out what it's supposed to be doing.

Case in point, we have different factories for threading needles that work with different internal types based on whether the machine is running on cow manure or bull manure or a combination, so there is a factory "nc" for "no cow" if it is trying to thread a needle when running strictly on bull manure, "cb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on cow and/or bull manure, and "nb" if it is trying to thread a needle while running on just cow manure. What's worse is, these factories are constantly being revised so seeing an expression like "cbv3()" for "cow and bull version 3" is way too common.

To make a long story short, one afternoon back in 2002 I was making updates to the threading functionality and when I tested my changes on the actual machine, everything seemed to work fine except that whenever I went to work with strictly bull manure, all the spools were getting covered in feces! I looked back at my code but because it was a long day I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I just started a new version of the "no bull" code and increased the version count to 5.

Everything works fine now if you use the latest factory, but to this day, nbv4 produces nothing but lovely threads.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hughlander posted:

are you uckngi kidding me

no way

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
And so JawnV6 discovers his ancestry of Jaw needle classes, revisions one through five

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That Turkey Story's gigantic brain is wasted on programming

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Ciaphas posted:

It seems that the "never give a number" advice isn't 100% ironclad, but drat near, yes

The problem is that recruiters are told by their managers to not say a number first too. This creates a situation where it's "you say a number first, no you say a number first, no you say a number first, no you say a number first..." Somebody has to say a drat number first, even though neither side wants to. Who ends up actually saying a number first depends on market conditions. If it's easier for a programmer to find another recruiter, then the programmer will force the recruiter to say a number first. If it's easier for the recruiter to find another programmer, then the recruiter will force the programmer to say a number first. Just because you want the upper hand, doesn't mean you are going to have it...

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

School of How posted:

The problem is that recruiters are told by their managers to not say a number first too. This creates a situation where it's "you say a number first, no you say a number first, no you say a number first, no you say a number first..." Somebody has to say a drat number first, even though neither side wants to. Who ends up actually saying a number first depends on market conditions. If it's easier for a programmer to find another recruiter, then the programmer will force the recruiter to say a number first. If it's easier for the recruiter to find another programmer, then the recruiter will force the programmer to say a number first. Just because you want the upper hand, doesn't mean you are going to have it...

Thanks for the incisive analysis on how negotiations have worked since time immemorial.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Not a Children posted:

You're in a great position. Hold steady and whatever you do, do not give them a number.

if you are pressed to give them a number, shoot extremely high

since you are post interview, if you are way out of the ballpark, they will just tell you and come back with another number. you really can't aim too high

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hughlander posted:

my god

I'm speechless

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hughlander posted:

seriously large lomarf

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Not a Children posted:

I just replied with my references and didn't mention anything about a range.

If I do receive an offer what's the proper way to reply? Do I ask for a week to consider since I have two more tech interviews this week? Do I mention that I have more interviews? Do I ask what benefits are negotiable? I'm real new to this.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

I just replied with my references and didn't mention anything about a range.

If I do receive an offer what's the proper way to reply? Do I ask for a week to consider since I have two more tech interviews this week? Do I mention that I have more interviews? Do I ask what benefits are negotiable? I'm real new to this.

Honesty is the best policy here. Say you're very excited about their offer and that you'll get back to them once you wrap up a few more interviews you're doing with other companies. If possible give them a timeline on when that will be and if you can't assure them that you'll be asking the other companies to accelerate the process.

In response to this they may say that they need an answer asap and if you don't respond within 48 hours or whatever then the offer will be rescinded. This is a bluff. Call it.

If they genuinely are able to get another candidate hired that quickly then it's probably an extremely low-end position that you didn't want anyways. That or they're closing the door because they don't want employees who know how to negotiate and guess what- you didn't want to work for them anyways.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 13, 2019

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Third interview went well last week. Round-robin, one-on-one with various members of the team. Turns out a former co-worker of mine was roommates with their project manager so got to close that loop pretty hard.

HR asked for references and a number which I deferred on the latter per the gospel here. See what they come back with.

give
me
the
figggggggies

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

In response to this they may say that they need an answer asap and if you don't respond within 48 hours or whatever then the offer will be rescinded. This is a bluff. Call it.

this being said, asking for more than like a week of consideration time starts to push you into dickhead territory and you may get bounced for that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh yeah absolutely. that's why you're upfront about it.

granted they definitely will push you to hurry up the process and will probably ask for firm deadlines. you won't have to give them anything right away but you'll need to turn around and ask the other companies for firm timelines because you're starting to get offers. it will suck a bit juggling all of it but it will be extremely beneficial for your negotiating position!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah that's the lovely part of applying for jobs. I straight up had to contact one place and say "uh hey i just got an offer from MegaCorp so what's your timeline? I don't want to rush you, but I have to get back to them relatively soon."

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Hughlander posted:

this has always been one of my favorite SA posts ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Are nbv4 and how!! seriously the same person?