Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Despera posted:

I dont remember Tom cheating but I didnt start watching the show till episode 6 which is why I love it so much.

There's a moment at the end of episode five where they make it pretty clear he's been loving Ferris Bueller's kept woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
just finished binging this show over the past few days and drat, it's good. gotta say that i don't love the way the season finale just kind of reset things instead of actually blowing up the dynamic in a way that would be interesting for the start of season 2, but i'll concede it's mostly because i find myself rooting for kendall, even if he is just a supreme dumbass. i think really i was just rooting for kendall to destroy his family. like, especially connor. i would be very happy if this show ended with connor having nothing.

wonder if season 2 finds kendall unhappy but competent and complacent in some mid-level exec role (vp of digital or whatever), with maybe lawrence as an adversary, while stewy and sandy continue to be the main antagonists to logan. still convinced we might hear more about The Cruise Ship Thing, but maybe just as a bargaining chip increasingly used as leverage as more people learn about it and threaten to leak it?

also jesus tom really quickly went from "doofy brown-noser who genuinely wants a normal, healthy relationship with shiv" to "oh noooo tom you gently caress" over the last few episodes, huh? though i hope that's the last we see of nate, who is a gross dude who grosses me out

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a moment at the end of episode five where they make it pretty clear he's been loving Ferris Bueller's kept woman.

I didn't take that away from their interaction at all.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Memnaelar posted:

There was a scene of Willa looking pensive in bed next to Connor that cut to Tom looking pensive in bed next to Shiv that I think dude confused as one thing. Anyway we saw that Tom is far too timid to cheat without a green light from Shiv, and even then it seemed more about initiation into the realm of the superwealthy, which is basically his whole thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

I've gone back to rewatch the scene (it's the sequence where she talks about "only being hosed by one member of this family", not the broody bedroom montage at the very end) and I guess in retrospect she's referring to being exploited, rather than she and Tom having sex.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, I also felt that it was more of a "both are being kept around because they gently caress someone in the family" rather than an affair between them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The show got less dark comedy as it went on, but I still liked it and am in for season 2.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I kept putting this show off for some reason and finally got around to binging it. I really like it! It's definitely "HBO's Arrested Development", and the cast knocks it out of the park. I read an article with the creator and I guess Kieran Calkin is having a blast ad libbing lines.

El Jeffe posted:

Also gently caress Tom. He sleeps around willy nilly but melts down when Shiv confesses to a little of the same? I know it's a realistic reaction and I greatly enjoy his character but really gently caress him.

END ME SCOOB posted:

That finale definitely took me from "I feel bad for the guy" to "oh that's a real ugly look, Tom", and basically made me realize that while none of them are good people, the kids at least feel... Well-intentioned in their own bubble? That scene with "put my wine back" was the first "gently caress you I'm rich bow and scrape" I could recall seeing beyond Logan and the million dollar check in the premiere.

abraham linksys posted:

also jesus tom really quickly went from "doofy brown-noser who genuinely wants a normal, healthy relationship with shiv" to "oh noooo tom you gently caress" over the last few episodes, huh? though i hope that's the last we see of nate, who is a gross dude who grosses me out

:psyduck: Tom is my favorite character on this show. The contrast between how he acts around rich people and who he feels are lower than him is incredible. The switch he flicks between goofy and harmless to sociopathic, cruel ladder-climber is awesome, Matt MacFadyen is one of the highlights of the show.

Edit: For example, the post-wedding scene with Tom and Shiv takes on a different tone when you know that Tom is playing Shiv and he would be miserable living as a poor diving instructor, but you can see the reaction it gets from Shiv.

Also any scene with Tom and Greg.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 13, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nobody told me this show would be funny as hell or that its creator was part of the Thick of It. I think the hardest I laughed was at Roman silently watching the rocket explode and casually putting his phone away.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IIRC he even went to the bathroom and washed his hands lol

I think I'll rewatch the first season soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

IIRC he even went to the bathroom and washed his hands lol

I think I'll rewatch the first season soon.

He watches it in the bathroom and then puts the phone away and washes his hands.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
S
U
C
C
E
S
S
I
O
N

H
Y
P
E

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Despera posted:

S
U
C
C
E
S
S
I
O
N

H
Y
P
E

Show needs more of it. Jesse Armstrong is very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I was gonna make a new thread for this with a big effort OP and then forgot.

Well I’m still fuckin excited!!!!!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Roman's lines are still the best.

I'll never cease to be amazed that this show manages to make me feel sorry for a shitheel trainwreck like Kendall.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Roman's lines are still the best.

I'll never cease to be amazed that this show manages to make me feel sorry for a shitheel trainwreck like Kendall.

Life's tough when your stuck with Park Coke

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I loved the rocket exploding right behind Roman as he spoke.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

jeremy strong's voice sounds so familiar like another actor but i can't place it and its really pissing me off. kinda like Adam Scott but not quite

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Best show on TV needs more hype.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
btw my friend George made this supercut of all the fucks in s1: https://youtu.be/rKkeH4Uh2eo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
New thread title:

Either "Park coke? I'm doing park coke?"

Or "If my septum falls out I'm going to make you eat my septum."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

sticklefifer posted:

New thread title:

Or "If my septum falls out I'm going to make you eat my septum."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who knew, Veep + Arrested Development is a winning premise. I don't really have anything to add as I'm on episode 3, but Greg is the best.

"I'm trying to strategize, Mom, with you! But you won't strategize!"

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Who knew, Veep + Arrested Development is a winning premise. I don't really have anything to add as I'm on episode 3, but Greg is the best.

"I'm trying to strategize, Mom, with you! But you won't strategize!"

This is from the writer of Veep if you didnt already know. And if you liked Veep def check out The Thick of It and the related movie In The Loop.

Also, if you want to see lovely things happen to sad sack losers instead of rich assholes watch Peep Show.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

jeremy strong's voice sounds so familiar like another actor but i can't place it and its really pissing me off. kinda like Adam Scott but not quite

Kendall's my favourite character (well, one I would hate the least in real life) and Jeremy Strong's performance is such a big part of it. I love the way he uses his very generic nature (I always see Santino Fontana in his face, and Giovanni Ribisi too) and his absolute self-seriousness to make all his petty dumb business ideas appear coherent.

Edit: by season 2 he's managed to fit James Frain into his face

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 17, 2019

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Awww Kendell. So nice to Cousin Park Coke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So this episode was basically what’s happening to Gizmodo in a nutshell.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Loved Kendall's find another coop line. In the end, the guy was all bark and no bite. Because daddy said so is hard to argue with when daddy's a ruthless billionaire that owns you and your smoke and mirrors company.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Kendall's portrayal of addiction is so real it hurts. It's so loving sad

also: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UDrfhn36t/

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:popeye: Owns a lot

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Weaponized Cum posted:

Kendall's portrayal of addiction is so real it hurts. It's so loving sad

also: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UDrfhn36t/

Him stealing those batteries at the end of the episode only to throw them in the trash right when he left is spot on.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
RENEWED!
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/succession-renewed-season-3-hbo-1203307634/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well with all of their other content either ending, going up in a garbage fire or both this does not surprise me at all.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
They're really banking on His Dark Materials, which has a two-season order.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The viewership is much higher than I would have guessed. I don't know anyone irl that has watched a minute of it.

Does anyone else think that Shiv is actually just getting played super hard by dear old dad? She asks him if it's real about a dozen times and then seems to believe him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really need to rewatch the first season because I went from not liking this show to loving it and this season is great so far. I did hesitate when Kendall was offered the same job Roman was just given, it made me worry that Logan was slipping again, but he seems content to have his Robot Boy at his beck and call

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, Logan is playing all of them

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
And then in season 3 we'll learn that cousin Greg has actually been playing everyone the whole time...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MiddleOne posted:

Well with all of their other content either ending, going up in a garbage fire or both this does not surprise me at all.

Euphoria was fantastic and Gemstones looks like its going to be great so whatever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Euphoria was fantastic and Gemstones looks like its going to be great so whatever.

Silicon Valley is ending, Westworld is just straight up getting rebooted, GoT ended in a dumpster fire and lets not even talk about Big Little Lies season 2. Euphoria was ok but last few episodes were slipping and with the ending any second season is going to be skating very precariously.

This show is unironically the last good thing they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Getting a vibe that Kendall is scheming something still. He knows Greg has inside info he can use against the company. Giving him a place to stay, keeping him close to get him "park coke" etc.

I agree that Shiv is going to get hosed over by Logan. Why show the audience her getting offered Chief of Staff, only then to quit the campaign 2 episodes into the season?

The only bad behavior we've ever seen from Shiv is her cheating on Tom. I'm feeling a long character arc of redemption for Kendall and a freefall for Shiv this season.