Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's remarkable that Maccagnan let Myers and Roberts walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Funny that the consensus in the league seems to be that kickers are interchangeable to a great degree, but there are three teams trying to trade for a kicker in mid-August.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

It's remarkable that Maccagnan let Myers and Roberts walk.

It’s really not. These are guys that had great and also potentially outlier seasons. Conventional wisdom is to not pay guys like that coming off career years.

I’m also not on board with trading for a kicker regardless of the low compensation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Jets had gently caress off cap space and couldn't find an extra three or four million to keep the two most important players from their best unit.

Ask Matt Nagy how easy it is to find a dependable kicker!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Myers was trash the year before with the Jags. What makes you thinking kicking at 90% is now his norm?

The vast majority of kickers are very replaceable and outside of 3-4 guys they generally have large swings in kicking percentage year to year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Myers was fine in Jacksonville and I never implied he'd stay at 90%.

There's a middle class of kickers that most NFL teams have and they're largely interchangeable from one another, but there's always like two or three teams each year that have their season torpedoed because they don't have anyone good at the position. The Jets are put themselves at risk at becoming one of those teams over like two million dollars worth of unused cap space.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Myers was trash the year before with the Jags. What makes you thinking kicking at 90% is now his norm?

The vast majority of kickers are very replaceable and outside of 3-4 guys they generally have large swings in kicking percentage year to year.

They probably could've done better at the start of camp than Catanzaro though. He was awful last year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Zero chance I’m tossing a 5th on a guy who has never kicked in an actual game.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1160617062244519938

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Agree with not giving up a 5th for a kicker. That is dumb.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

Agree with not giving up a 5th for a kicker. That is dumb.

Ravens are cackling about this....only way they got a 5 was if they had at least two teams competing.

And yeah, you give a 5 if there's nothing else out there. So, Jets are going to be competing with at least one other team for whoever is left now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If kicker was an issue for me, and the guy could both kick and punt, I'd pay a 5th for an extra roster spot.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I forgot the Vikings had Dan Bailey. Jets could take a flyer on him when he's cut for the guy they just traded for...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I was hype when i watched his YouTube reel now I’m popping boners

https://mobile.twitter.com/baldynfl...006063489294336

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My wife and a bunch of my friends went to Colorado State for grad school and I used to go to most home games when we lived there. It’s cool and good seeing a few dudes actually be maybe NFL relevant since historically the team is hot garbage :unsmith: (Preston Williams, Michael Gallup)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Amy Pole Her posted:

I was hype when i watched his YouTube reel now I’m popping boners

https://mobile.twitter.com/baldynfl...006063489294336

oh hell yeah baldys getting excited. this is really happening

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Omar Kelly is complaining that Williams should have been called for OPI on at very least on the first catch(the Josh Rosen prayer), but I don't think you can really say much other than "shut up nerd" to that. If your rookie WR knows how to muscle DBs out of the way to get space and isn't getting called for doing it, it's a good thing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Omar Kelly is complaining that Williams should have been called for OPI on at very least on the first catch(the Josh Rosen prayer), but I don't think you can really say much other than "shut up nerd" to that. If your rookie WR knows how to muscle DBs out of the way to get space and isn't getting called for doing it, it's a good thing.

He's been mad lately. He said something to the effect of, "No one saw this coming." with regard to Williams. Then people started replying that there was some glowing praise of Williams from spring OTA's. Ever since then he's been tweeting forms of, "Oh yeah? Well I saw it too." and simultaneously stuff like, "You guys are too quick to crown him."

Omar Kelly is an rear end!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

He's been mad lately. He said something to the effect of, "No one saw this coming." with regard to Williams. Then people started replying that there was some glowing praise of Williams from spring OTA's. Ever since then he's been tweeting forms of, "Oh yeah? Well I saw it too." and simultaneously stuff like, "You guys are too quick to crown him."

Omar Kelly is an rear end!

Apparently he's a super nice guy IRL, to the point where I think it's probably like a brain-damaged version of a Woody Paige persona adapted to the South Florida market.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Apparently he's a super nice guy IRL, to the point where I think it's probably like a brain-damaged version of a Woody Paige persona adapted to the South Florida market.

Players absolutely hate him FWIW

But yeah he’s absolutely of the opinion he’s #1 writer in SoFla

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets cornerback group is going to be awful this year even without the potential injury to Trumaine.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Omar Kelly is an idiot and I have a very high tolerance for idiocy. I can't read anything that guy writes it's really bad. He also has the stupidest hot takes and never owns his bad opinions

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets cornerback group is going to be awful this year even without the potential injury to Trumaine.

Luckily there aren’t any good qbs in this division

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is the worst thing Omar ever wrote

quote:

“I imagine right now you’re feeling a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole after last Sunday’s embarrassing loss to Buffalo,” Morpheus says to the one Dolphins fan.

“You can say that,” the Dolfan responds.

“You have the look of a man accepting what he sees because he’s expecting to wake up,” Morpheus says. “Ironically, this is not far from the truth.

“Do you believe in fate?” Morpheus asks. “No,” Dolfan replies. “Why not?” Morpheus asks.

“Because I don’t like the idea I’m not in control of the Dolphins season,” Dolfan retorts. “I don’t like the idea of my franchise being mediocre since Dan Marino retired.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” Morpheus said. “Let me tell you why you are here.

“You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain. But you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire fanhood. You know that there’s something wrong with your team. You don’t know what it is, but it is there like a splinter in your mind driving you mad.

“It is this feeling that has brought you to me. It is the feeling that what can go wrong eventually will. The feeling that the Dolphins will eventually let you down, just like they did against the Bills last Sunday with the playoffs within the team’s grasp. You’re waiting for that feeling again in Sunday’s game against the Jets.

“It is called the ‘That’s so Dolphins moment,” Morpheus explains. “It is part of the NFL’s Matrix, which is meant to keep every team relevant, but only let a few experience the joy of the postseason. Do you know what I’m talking about?”

“That’s so Dolphins?” Dolfan says with a whispering tone.

“Mediocrity is all around us,” Morpheus says before pointing to the Texans, Vikings, Redskins and Falcons, playoffs teams from last season that have taken a nose dive. “Even now you can see it when you turn on TV, listen to radio, check the Internet. That’s so Dolphins is the negativity that surrounds South Florida regarding its own NFL team. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay for your season tickets. You expect the worst outcome because you’ve been trained to by this decade of irrelevance.”

“The Dolphins have had three winning seasons since 2003,” Dolfan admits. “And only once have they made it to the playoffs this decade.

“They are on the verge of ending the drought now, but I keep expecting the worst, a loss to the Jets.”

“It is that negativity that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth,” Morpheus says.

“What truth?” Dolfan asks.

“That forward progress has been made. But like every other fan of a franchise you were born into bondage,” Morpheus states. “Born into a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison of negativity that distorts your view.

“Unfortunately, no one can be told how to change that. You have to see it for yourself.”

You have to wash away Pete Stoyanovich missing a 48-yard field goal to lose to the Chargers in the final seconds of the 1994 AFC playoffs.

Forget Dan Marino getting blown out 62-7 in his final playoff game back in 1999.

Flush away Chad Pennington leading the ’08 team to the AFC East title, only to get manhandled by the Ravens in the playoffs.

Those are all positive years that ended with a bad outcome.

Stop thinking about the Dolphins allowing game costing sacks, interceptions, and touchdowns in the fourth quarter of critical games this season. Think about what could be.

Morpheus opens up a container that holds one orange and one aqua pill in front of Dolfan.

“This is your last chance,” Morpheus says. “Take the orange pill and the story ends and you wake up in your bed Monday morning and believe what you want to believe. The Dolphins are cursed. Nothing good will ever come to this franchise.

“Take the aqua pill and you stay in Dolphins land, but I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Dolfan picks his pill, puts it in his mouth and washes it down with a drink of water.

“Follow me,” Morpheus says as the two begin walking down a Sun Life Stadium hallway. “I’m trying to free your mind. But you’re the only one that can break the code of the Matrix.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

They have to make a trade. They can't go into the season with this group.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They have to make a trade. They can't go into the season with this group.

Are you giving up a 1st or 2nd for Trae Waynes or something? Not a lot available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Are you giving up a 1st or 2nd for Trae Waynes or something? Not a lot available.

I would rather make a trade where you give up too much than basically destroy the season before it starts....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Try to find some dudes on the waiver wire. Some teams are pretty rich at that position and there might be good players available even if they couldn't start right away. A player swap at different positions could also work.

Who knows if they'll really be so bad though. Still a while to get it together

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I follow Omar on Twitter because sometimes I enjoy reading super negative perspectives on how the Dolphins are gonna be mediocre until the end of time. Then every day I think about unfollowing him because of his endless stories about how all the girls at the club want him and his boys, his weird devotion to Ritchie Incognito, and how he can retweet both pro-Trump and anti-Trump rhetoric in the same day because above all else he just want to be a contrarian.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is this actually a thing people say? If so, please tell me it's pronounced "Soufflé"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I would rather make a trade where you give up too much than basically destroy the season before it starts....

agreed jets please trade away your future to maximize your current window

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The season should be all about developing Darnold anyway. The Jets are missing too many pieces to make a serious run.

If you're going to overpay for a veteran, make it a lineman.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

The season should be all about developing Darnold anyway. The Jets are missing too many pieces to make a serious run.

I agree. If I’m giving up a 2nd rounder I’d rather it be for Trent Williams than a corner.

That said, don’t give up a 2nd please.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

I don't think of this as a rebuilding season at all, that was last year. This should be a playoff caliber offense that could make a decent run at it if they don't have the worst secondary play in the NFL.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I agree. If I’m giving up a 2nd rounder I’d rather it be for Trent Williams than a corner.

That said, don’t give up a 2nd please.

What about for Ramsey?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 12, 2019

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Is this actually a thing people say? If so, please tell me it's pronounced "Soufflé"

Not say, type.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets are a borderline playoff team at best, that's assuming Darnold massively improves on his first season. I wouldn't say they're rebuilding but they're absolutely not good enough to be taking bad long term deals for the sake of winning now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My thinking is that the difference between 10 wins and 7 wins in the NFL isn't that much. Why not go for it?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

What about for Ramsey?

Other than him wanting massive money is there any indication the Jags want to trade Ramsey? He’d cost at least a 1st and I could probably justify that cost if you get him long term.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Amy Pole Her posted:

Players absolutely hate him FWIW

But yeah he’s absolutely of the opinion he’s #1 writer in SoFla

Who's the guy who posts the rules about tweeting at him at the beginning of training camp, Omar or Armando?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Other than him wanting massive money is there any indication the Jags want to trade Ramsey? He’d cost at least a 1st and I could probably justify that cost if you get him long term.

No idea, just proposing a hypothetical. I do think there will be good players traded this training camp though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

My thinking is that the difference between 10 wins and 7 wins in the NFL isn't that much. Why not go for it?

Might be a bit wider than you think, because when I think of seven wins for the Jets I think "absolutely, I believe in Sam Darnold as a quarterback who can get it done" but when I think about a deep playoff run for the Jets I think "no loving way, the roster is about 8 starting players behind where it would need to be".

Looking at teams like the Saints and Eagles, they barely have a weak spot in the entire starting roster. They even have multiple backups who would be unquestioned starters on the Jets. So I just don't think that the rest of the roster outside of Sam is ready. But Sam is the hardest piece to get so the rest is possible to attain. I do think they should be preparing to push the next couple years, this year is a stretch though.