Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Deez nuts sure do.

MarcusSA posted:

Real talk though I've had people tell me they eat a lot of nuts because its protein and I'm like.... yeah about that.

What else am I supposed to snack on at my desk!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
So I tried the "new" Cheeseburger at the Japanese stores. Overall I like it more than the older one, I think the actual meat is the same and still and overcooked, but they seemed to have changed the sauce and put more condiments and cheese on it, so it does a good job of masking the bland meat flavor. I'm glad I tried it but I doubt I'll get it again since it costs around $7 and that goes a long way in the food court!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I maxed out my Costco credit card and then this weekend I paid a big chunk off to make sure I had enough to get gas because DEM CASHBACK REWARDS BABY LOVE ME SOME 4%!!!!!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

MarcusSA posted:

Real talk though I've had people tell me they eat a lot of nuts because its protein and I'm like.... yeah about that.

I like to get the walnuts at Costco for a healthy snack if I'm at work late or something, and I'm not likely to inhale a lot of walnuts at once. They're not as tasty by themselves as other nuts.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Original_Z posted:

So I tried the "new" Cheeseburger at the Japanese stores. Overall I like it more than the older one, I think the actual meat is the same and still and overcooked, but they seemed to have changed the sauce and put more condiments and cheese on it, so it does a good job of masking the bland meat flavor. I'm glad I tried it but I doubt I'll get it again since it costs around $7 and that goes a long way in the food court!

As long as they still have the bulgogi bake I'll never eat anything else in the Japanese food courts. I guess the occasional slice of pizza too.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Saw these mooncakes at costco today, but I'm west coast so I dunno if it helps

These were being offered in my local Costco in northern Virginia. They come 4 to a tin and are extremely dense. Tasty if you like that kind of thing, and like 700 calories to boot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SirPablo posted:

Costco size mood

Well to be honest it makes me want to blow their brains out.

I wish Costco sold klonopin in bulk. I'm not on that anymore but probably desperately need to be.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone ever get the Crab Legs or Dungeness Crabs from the little seafood stand?

I see those 2 things are already cooked. Was wondering how it would be to warm them back up using Sous Vide?

I live in Michigan so I am not coastal to get fresh ocean seafood. Plenty of fresh freshwater fish though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Trastion posted:

I see those 2 things are already cooked. Was wondering how it would be to warm them back up using Sous Vide?

I live in Michigan so I am not coastal to get fresh ocean seafood. Plenty of fresh freshwater fish though.

Sous vide would probably work pretty well but you can just steam them to reheat them too.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Souls vide is for cooking things to a precise temperature or for a long time.

The crab legs are already cooked, you just need to warm them up.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Trastion posted:

I've gotten the crab legs around new year's eve time. I steamed them using a very large stock pot (container was actually for deep frying). Came out excellent! Highly recommend.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Trastion posted:

do NOT heat them with an immersion circulator. presumably you'd be thinking of just putting them in the water without a bag, because I'm not really sure how you'd vacuum seal sharp pointy crab legs, and you do not want bits of shell or crab or seasoning or anything else circulating through your heating element

just steam them in a big pot with an inch or two of water in the bottom. they're already cooked so there's no real benefit to sous-vide here anyway

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Crab legs can just go on the grill too, it gets warmed up and a little crispy smelling, really good and zero effort

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

do NOT heat them with an immersion circulator. presumably you'd be thinking of just putting them in the water without a bag, because I'm not really sure how you'd vacuum seal sharp pointy crab legs, and you do not want bits of shell or crab or seasoning or anything else circulating through your heating element

melt down butter and use that as the immersion liquid.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why not get a bag of imitation crab and eat outof it like the disgusting peice of poo poo I am....I mean.. you are!

:smith:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Why not get a bag of imitation crab and eat outof it like the disgusting peice of poo poo I am....I mean.. you are!

:smith:

I like fake crab too but real crab is so much sweeter and the meat is flakier. Plus cracking open a piece of crab for like a half a bite is actually pretty satisfying.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

binge crotching posted:

As long as they still have the bulgogi bake I'll never eat anything else in the Japanese food courts. I guess the occasional slice of pizza too.

What's in the bulgogi bake? I'm jealous of you, because I love me some bulgogi.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love eating crab and lobster but every time I just think how they are basically gigantic bugs.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DiggityDoink posted:

I like fake crab too but real crab is so much sweeter and the meat is flakier. Plus cracking open a piece of crab for like a half a bite is actually pretty satisfying.

I was really bummed to find out I can't trap crawfish in the lake by my house. Everywhere else is just too much work to get to, nearly daily, to check the traps.

Talk about :effort: to bite ratio!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Thanks guys. I have done poached lobster by removing it from the shell and putting it in a bag with butter and herbs. That worked well and since the crab is already cooked I was thinking I could do the same to reheat the meat with some butter and herbs in the bag already. The lobster was raw though so I did a full cook at precise temp. I just thought I could warm it without the risk of cooking it more if I can set it to a specific temp.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DiggityDoink posted:

I just really hate working for my food.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I love eating crab and lobster but every time I just think how they are basically gigantic bugs.

If cockroaches tasted like lobster I'd eat them every day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cockroaches are all shells and guts. No meat at all.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Cockroaches are all shells and guts. No meat at all.

Have you tried steaming them?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Do NOT feel bad about eating imitation crab. It is absolutely loving delicious. I mean it's just fish. Whatever.

There's a local sandwich place that makes a seafood sandwich which is imitation crab, crispy iceberg lettuce, pickles, red onion and a tartar sauce on sliced sourdough. It loving rules.

Does Costco sell imitation crab? I would buy it immediately. I see that you can buy it online but haven't personally seen it in person.

priznat posted:

Dude think about it for a second.

If a loving deer was as big as a loving bug it would suck poo poo to eat. Like a bundle of gristle and hooves.

But because deer are big, you get to enjoy venison.

The size of a loving object matters.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I wonder how the bugs in that Peter Jackson King Kong movie would taste (goddamn they were loving horrifying)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've heard large meaty spiders taste similar to crab or shrimp.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Taima posted:

Dude think about it for a second.

If a loving deer was as big as a loving bug it would suck poo poo to eat. Like a bundle of gristle and hooves.

But because deer are big, you get to enjoy venison.

The size of a loving object matters.

Counterpoint: the meat from the largest lobsters is comparatively bland and mealy next to those in the small-medium 1-1.5 lb range. This is extra funny because you can charge morons more money for an inferior product because they are impressed by the size.

Not that this has much to do with comparing a ruminant mammal to an insect, just that larger frequently does not equal better.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, alot of the world already eats insects. Just hop on the bandwagon.

*continues to not eat spiders and roaches cause they look gross*

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Counterpoint: the meat from the largest lobsters is comparatively bland and mealy next to those in the small-medium 1-1.5 lb range. This is extra funny because you can charge morons more money for an inferior product because they are impressed by the size.

Not that this has much to do with comparing a ruminant mammal to an insect, just that larger frequently does not equal better.

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that. Good times.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

priznat posted:

Yah I wonder how the bugs in that Peter Jackson King Kong movie would taste (goddamn they were loving horrifying)

Random question but have you seen Bad Taste by Peter Jackson? One of the weirdest loving movies I've ever seen. It's a miracle he somehow got tapped to do LOTR.

someone uploaded the entire thing to youtube in case anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxAmTNvINA

"I can always encourage you by hammering this cold steel. It'll sure poke a nasty hole in your marrow mate!"

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 13, 2019

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

My experience has been the opposite of this. Properly cooked, larger lobsters have been nearly the same as smaller lobsters and have been perhaps a bit sweeter. And if larger lobsters were not as tasty and or mealy, I think many professionals would have mentioned it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Completely wrong. Larger lobsters get mealy, tough, and bland because people tend to overestimate cooking time due to their size. Size of the lobster does not affect flavor in a meaningful way

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

El Jebus posted:

My experience has been the opposite of this. Properly cooked, larger lobsters have been nearly the same as smaller lobsters and have been perhaps a bit sweeter. And if larger lobsters were not as tasty and or mealy, I think many professionals would have mentioned it.

A couple of years ago I was in Maine for a week with friends. I bought lobsters off the dock and cooked 13 of them in various sizes over the course of the trip. We all preferred the 1-1.5 lb lobsters over the 2.5-3 lb ones. It was no contest. :shrug:

I'm not sure who you're referencing with "many professionals," but that doesn't mean much to me.

jisforjosh posted:

Completely wrong. Larger lobsters get mealy, tough, and bland because people tend to overestimate cooking time due to their size. Size of the lobster does not affect flavor in a meaningful way

I'm sorry that your experience has been different than mine, I guess.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

At Costco, eating a dog

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

phosdex posted:

At Costco, eating a dog

kraut? onion?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

kraut? onion?

Onion and deli mustard. The one I was at you have to ask for onion when you order and they give you one of those little plastic cups with some.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone bought a laptop through Costco? Do they offer any kind of warranty (or can you add-on, for example, Dell's ProPlus warranty if you're getting a Dell)?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone bought a laptop through Costco? Do they offer any kind of warranty (or can you add-on, for example, Dell's ProPlus warranty if you're getting a Dell)?

https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

2 years standard, 4 years if you pay with Costco Visa.