Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Dr. Krieger posted:

Saw the Faint last night and they are still rad. Kick rear end light show and played a ton of old stuff while running around on stage.

saw them for the second time at 9:30 Club in DC this Saturday and they were incredible. I was really surprised and glad that they played Young and Realistic, which is one of the best tracks they've put out recently. I wish they had played a bit more from Blank-wave Arcade, but their catalog is really deep at this point and I can't blame them for leaning so much on Danse Macabre

I also really enjoyed their opener, Ritual Howls - worth a listen for fans of post-punk, with a slight industrial influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Saw this guy at a Sofar show in Seattle this past weekend, was incredibly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnMRJQnnqAc

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Been enjoying this synth pop/rock group from Australia this week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPyHeqNlsOE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NEW BATTLES Y'ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh0uAI_uRM

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
NEW KING PRINCESS Y'ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LkRy4vD-m0

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
David Berman's dead.

https://pitchfork.com/news/david-berman-silver-jews-purple-mountains-dead-at-52/

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

came here to see if there was any discussion / speculation about this. I really like the new album but already found it pretty sad listening.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

god drat it this sucks

new album, while dark, had some fleeting moments of (possible) optimism — "a setback can be a setup/for a comeback if you don't let up" — but now reads more like a suicide note — "when the dying's finally done and the suffering subsides/all the suffering gets done by the ones we leave behind"

hope he found some peace

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JPernicious/status/1159232867320381440

Berman's death confirmed a suicide :smith:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Tweet taken down

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The Purple Mountains record has been my most played in the past month, I was really happy Berman was back and making music again. I think it's easily one of his best. The lyrics were obviously explicit about his misery but you got the sense that he was trying to work through it and come out the other side. Maybe it's just the sometimes-upbeat tone of the music that made me think that.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hope he found some peace

Yeah.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

two terrible tragedies in one day

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Bon Iver album came out ahead of schedule!

It's good so far :)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

two terrible tragedies in one day

Okay that's a bit much, but I agree that the new Battles track ain't it. It's very repetitive and doesn't have their usual dynamics and depth. They probably should've disbanded when Dave Konopka left, but I'm still curious to see what this album's like.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Yeah, I'm really digging it. Feels like he kept the good parts from 22, A Million and toned it back a bit. Also the mixing isn't trash this time which is very nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm the opposite. I thought 22, A Million is by far the best thing he's ever done and this just feels like watered down b-sides to that :(.

I mean it's still aight... just that 22, A Million knocked my socks off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never really got into 22, A Million. For me, nothing will top the self-titled, but this is still pretty good.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
After one listen, I like it. Musically it’s somewhere between the self titled and 22, a Million. Which is good because I wasn’t too into 22.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I am really glad to see Phantogram coming back to their style. Their last project with Big Boi was really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlYBLREZlQ

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

god drat it i was just listening to the silver jews the first time since 2013.
:'(

also The new pixies songs have prompted me to listen to their old stuff. I've been listening to trompe le monde full album in order and gosh darn i think its my new favourite pixies album. sorry surfer rosa

actually please come back surfer rosa.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Slandible posted:

I am really glad to see Phantogram coming back to their style. Their last project with Big Boi was really bad.

Three came out after Big Grams and was very much Phantogram "style."

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Lampsacus posted:

god drat it i was just listening to the silver jews the first time since 2013.
:'(

also The new pixies songs have prompted me to listen to their old stuff. I've been listening to trompe le monde full album in order and gosh darn i think its my new favourite pixies album. sorry surfer rosa

actually please come back surfer rosa.

Bossanova is criminally underrated in their discography.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bossanova ftw imo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i don't know if i could rank pixies' old albums. all of them have great songs

i have not really listened to any of the new stuff though

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just finished listen through the new Bon Iver for the first time. Have to agree with something I read elsewhere that's the first project from him that sounds familiar instead of new - that's not neccesssarily a bad thing though I think it's a happy medium between the previous two albums. Easily in my top 5 so far this year.

Naeem is a loving banger.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
yeah new Bon Iver is pretty good. excited to catch the arena tour

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Boywhiz88 posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bossanova ftw imo.

Funny, I read that post originally but resisted the urge to post the truth.

Hang Wire rips.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard decided to premier some more new music in an.......interesting way:

https://marsfortherich.com/

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

RedneckwithGuns posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard decided to premier some more new music in an.......interesting way:

https://marsfortherich.com/

This rules

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Lampsacus posted:

also The new pixies songs have prompted me to listen to their old stuff.
I've tried my best with the new Pixies. I don't think they're as bad as others seem to think, but it's hard for me to place them alongside their earlier albums.

I find myself coming back and back and back again to the three albums (Bluefinger, Svn Fngrs, Nonstoperotik) Charles released as Black Francis around the time of the reformation. That music sounds like what the post-reformation Pixies music should have been.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I know it makes me an insufferable millennial hipster but I'm glad I got to see the full original Pixies on one of the reunion tours, since I would have been too young to ever see them during their original run.

I took my dad to the show and he loved it, it ruled.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 14, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Ty Segall is great

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

New Frank Turner album is... Fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frank Turner is the 2nd best live show I've ever seen, caught him a couple times now. Such wonderful positive energy and he's so loving good.

#1 best live show is M83 in case anyone was wondering!!!!!!!! God I love M83.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
a. I would love to see M83
b. I used to babysit the guy that play[s/ed] drums for Ty Segall
c. New S-K is out as I'm sure y'all know already; tracks 1,2, and 4 were released as singles

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Someone call the police, Corin Tucker is being held hostage.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Round up the usual suspect

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I had a feeling there would be too much Carrie on the album and it seems I was right :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got a ticket to see HEALTH (for the 2nd time this year) and Daughters in December :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Big Thief finally did a recorded version of one of their best songs and it's better than I could have hoped. And they're releasing another album this year, holy hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcVwH47uxQ