Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I don’t own one, but a friend has a 2017 5.0 Mustang Convertible and the small rear window got off track somehow. Is this a common thing or not?

Fords will do all kinds of weird malfunctions. Every part is derived from a taurus or f150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Pony in Europe, part 420.

Santuario della Madonna di Monte Berico, overlooking Vicenza and the Alps in the Veneto Region.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Well I think I'm doing it. Calling up the seller with a $13k cash offer. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe I'll be road-tripping back home with a new (old) Stang in the next couple weeks.

... or I could ship it. Probably cheaper. But I kinda wanna drive it you know.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 12, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I can't wait to see what a $13k New Edge looks like.

Also, on the New Edge front, what are these called? A body shop used the wrong one and I'd like to find ideally the OEM, but failing that, one that fits the same and less importantly, looks vaguely similar to OEM:

(this is the trim panel around the trunk striker, just in case that's not clear)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

I can't wait to see what a $13k New Edge looks like.
Mine cost 12k, so.

Show us what youre buying Lich Face so we can tell you not to buy it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I dont know if you watch Derek Baran Productions on youtube. He sold his 100k+ mile 99 blue mustang for 13k.
The mods where an air lift suspension and a non-cooled vortech super charger. I think it also had a replaced engine too. It had cosmetic stuff done to it too like changing out the interior for all black, and Braum seats.
lots of other silly things like cuts to the wheel wells, and had garage door liner for side skirts. It also had a lot of used/traded parts on it and while Im sure they where good, there is no history on them. He also hooned on it.
I would not have spent 13k on that car but there you go.

Im sure if the car your looking at is a lower mileage, relatively stock, and has a complete and known history the car could be worth 13k if you are willing to spend that much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

Im sure if the car your looking at is a lower mileage, relatively stock, and has a complete and known history the car could be worth 13k if you are willing to spend that much.
I wouldn’t spend $13k on your car, which is all of those things, and I say that as a New Edge owner who can’t let go of said car.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

I wouldn’t spend $13k on your car, which is all of those things, and I say that as a New Edge owner who can’t let go of said car.

You think my car is relatively stock!? Thanks! haha, with all the mods / money I spent on it, I would have thought otherwise ;)
I always thought, and still think I could easily get $12k if I really wanted to let it go. Perhaps when the car is 30/40 years old, and there is a resurgence of newedge interest, maybe I could get more.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

You think my car is relatively stock!? Thanks! haha, with all the mods / money I spent on it, I would have thought otherwise ;)
I always thought, and still think I could easily get $12k if I really wanted to let it go. Perhaps when the car is 30/40 years old, and there is a resurgence of newedge interest, maybe I could get more.
Quite right, that's the one point I wouldn't say yours is, but it's certainly "tastefully modded", which, while mods don't generally increase value, mods that are what I would've done anyway would entice me to pay more.

I skipped over that point, sorry, but I was thinking it. You certainly could - if nothing else, RLF is apparently willing to pay $13k for something which I'm looking forward to seeing, but "what finding exactly the right person to pay" and "what the car is reasonably worth" are probably not the same thing - see your comments about the youtuber's :airquote: $13k :airquote: '99.

\/\/\/ :) :hf: :) \/\/\/

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Original windshield wipers raise the value by at least $5k. Thats classic hardware you just can't replace.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Loooooooooooooowwwww miles Mach 1 baby.

Deal's not for sure yet though, and I might not get it for 13 as according to bluebook it's actually a lowball. Probably be a couple weeks because life poo poo.

Is it the smartest way to spend 13-15k on a vehicle? gently caress no. But it's not a bad deal and it'll be a helluva lot more trustworthy than my current piece of poo poo which I love but really need to get rid of.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 13, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Actually I've got a question regarding REALLY low miles. Concerningly low.

It's obviously sat a lot. I'm concerned about fluid and rubber degradation, the exhaust system, and gently caress knows what else that could be problematic after that time. It's had an inspection done by the marketplace it is listed on but it doesn't seem terribly thorough with regards to the engine and related bits except for electrical.

https://www.swapmotors.com/buy/listing/1/d/5af5b407cc5b775e949cea89 is the car. I'd almost certainly do a full fluid flush on purchase assuming it passes an independent inspection but I'm still concerned and wondering if it's a really bad idea to get something with less than 1000 miles per year on it that may have never been serviced at all. It looks pristine as gently caress but so many things could be hiding and it does need tires soon so it might be more expensive than the other option below despite it being probable that I can get it for cheaper. Anyone able to give me a rundown on what to look for? Especially before driving it home halfway across the US. Tell me why I'm an idiot. Tell me how to do this the smart way.

I was also looking at this one https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/775663297/overview/ but the price is less nice and the dealership is not playing ball with regards to negotiation so far though I haven't gotten an actual manager on the horn yet. It has also sat for like 10 years with very little use, however it has service records from a couple of dealership resales within the last few thousand miles. It's the nicer yellow too. Should I just buy this car for a bit more considering the tires are good and it has records for peace of mind? (It's also the better yellow from 04 so I wouldn't be terribly hard to convince to go with this one).

I plan to own this car for a very very long time so I'm willing to pay more for low miles so don't be like "just get one with like 100k on it". 40k is my upper limit.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 14, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Despite not knowing mustangs really, (this is very general) here are my somewhat relevant thoughts. :v:

1. If it starts and runs decent enough, the fuel system is probably fine, just make sure you keep pumping higher octane through it it for the first few tanks. Wouldn't hurt to swap the fuel filter when you get home.
2. Flush the brake fluid and oil for sure, this would be priority #1 for me.
3. If the coolant isn't a nasty rusty color, it's probably ok for now but also flush it when you get home.
4. Look under the hood for the rubber stuff. Rad/heater hoses, power steering lines, maybe turn a wheel each direction to see if you can see the ball joints/tie rod boots to see how they look. Motor mounts and harmonic balancer are also rubber, so feel for vibes.
5. Seems every performance car you buy used always has the most dog poo poo all season/old, etc. tires on it anyway. Use that as negotiation for price and you'll be able to put better ones on afterwards, that's win/win in my book.
6. Both those yellows are real bad and I would be embarrassed to be your friend and ride with you in your mid-life mullet purchase. :marc:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't wanna buy a car over a thousand miles from home and not be able to get it back. Would almost consider getting a hotel and having a full fluid flush done there before I start the drive.

Suburban Dad posted:

6. Both those yellows are real bad and I would be embarrassed to be your friend and ride with you in your mid-life mullet purchase. :marc:

Well poo poo, I was hoping I'd make it past my early 50s.

Anyway... I want my obnoxious car to be an obnoxious color? Is that really such a crime?

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 14, 2019

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
My car is 20 years old, I bought it brand new and I just rolled 25,000 miles on it.
all my hoses in the engine bay have held up.

I would pop the hood, and clean every hose with some soapy water and dry it down. if its firm your good. if it breaks down or is squishy just replace. hoses are not going to be more than $60. I think the complete radiator set is 130. The smaller hoses will be a lot less.
I have not replaced any hoses in my car.

The transmission fluid in the 4r70w tranmission is Mercon V is rated for 60,000 miles. There is like 4 quarts in the transmission, and 6 in the torque converter, and 2 in all the hoses and parts leading into and out of the transmission etc....
Rusty burnt smelling tranny fluid just means its old, it does not mean the transmission is destroyed. If the car is driven hard all the time then that fluid needs to be replaced. These cars don't look like they where anything more than summer weekend cruisers. I bet the cars did some occasional bunny starts at red lights, but not driven hard enough to destroy the transmission. That said, if you remove the 4 quarts in the transmission pan, and look at the magnet in the pan, if you see only metallic sludge than the transmission is good. if you see sharp bits of clutch material, the car was driven hard. if the car is driven hard, do a transmission fluid flush, if its not you can do a complete transmission fluid change.

As for the exhaust, im sure there is surface rust on the metal parts, the exhaust hangers are probably a little worn but those are like $10 to replace.

I would 100% replace all the fluids, regardless of quality or newness.
I would 100% replace the tires, even if they look perfect. They are of unknown age and could be dry rotted.
I would 100% swap fuel filter, air filter, transmission filter.
I would swap out the thermostat when you swap out coolant.
The waterpump is $60 and is stupid easy to replace. Do it when you change the coolant.

The steering wheel shaft has a rubber rag joint. Since the car is almost 20 years old, I am going to guess there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. you can get a solid steering shaft for $200. it will make the car feel brand new.

I would double check on the brake hoses, pads, and rotors. Im willing to bet they are in pretty good shape though. The brake hose is rubber? (I think on the mach 1 not totally sure). see if you can swap them for stainless steel.

The parking brake is probably mush now too. the replacement cables are $60 each side. the middle connector is $30.

The mach 460 & mach 1000 stock sound system is complete poo poo. If you get an aftermarket receiver, the amps may be out of phase. dump the mach sound system as soon as you can.

Dont deal with surprises far from home. Hire a car carrier company to move the car. its will be 750 to 1000 dollars.

oh also.... The cowl that the wipers sit on top of, is complete crap plastic. Expect that to crack!

kalvick fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Any recommendations on dash cams?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Owlcam has all the bells and whistles (even LTE) but is more expensive. I tried it because I had an Amazon giftcard and have been very happy. The integrated rear facing cam is good enough to cover what's happening in the immediate vicinity of the rear as well without having to wire up a second camera. It's saved me a few times so far.

I've found that most dashcam implementations are poo poo because outside of an accident during driving they tend not to alert you if something happens. For example, if someone backs into my car while parked I'll get an alert right away from the owl but most other cameras I looked at won't notify you that something happened unless you specifically check the camera.

I believe they sent a coupon out recently to existing owners so you might be able to find one of those floating around.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Xpost from the other thread. Any of my S550 buds do the upgrade or considering it?

Digital cluster upgrade in the Mustang. Been wanting to do this for a while. You can swap the optional LCD cluster into models that didn't come with it (even into older 2015-2017 models with a couple extra parts) Since I have a 2018 all I needed was the cluster, a new bezel, and two new steering wheel buttons for the new functionality.

Before:

Old and new cluster/bezel:

Pop off the airbag to unscrew and replace the buttons. I had done this once before when I installed the GT350 steering wheel, so I was familiar with this much.

From there its pulling off a bunch of interior panels to get the bezel and cluster out. No pics of this because I was sweating my balls off and wanted to get it done.

All buttoned up:

First power up before coding, a billion error messages, some that are real head scratchers:

Finally it was just a matter of using Forscan to code all the correct options into my cluster to match my car, and nicely they updated it recently so you can adjust mileage (only raising it, but still super handy). My cluster was brand new so I raised mileage to match actual.

Ahh there we go. Normal mode:

Sport:

Track:

It's super customizable, you can pick a primary and secondary color, right now I've settled on red for primary (the filled in gauge area) and gray for secondary (all the gauge rings and text). You can also display 3 chosen gauges graphically or more in text, and also cycle the other usual stuff like trip meters, MPG, tire pressure, etc.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
that is Freaking Fantastic! good job dude. Im jealous!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
drat. Can I go get my '16 back? I gots something I need to do with it.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
God I've been eyeballing it for a while and you're gonna make me do it :argh:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

H2SO4 posted:

God I've been eyeballing it for a while and you're gonna make me do it :argh:

Do it. I hemmed and hawed quite a bit, but the first startup after installing and I was sold. Worth every penny.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Holy moly I know what I’m doing when I finally come back home to my stang in October

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's kind of cool and now I am looking into it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

That's kind of cool and now I am looking into it.

Here's the guide I followed, the forscan codes are all in the google doc linked there which is super handy. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-digital-cluster-installation-guide.99275/

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
It should also be mentioned that someone did finally figure out how to enable line locks on non-GT performance pack cars. Looks like you have to flash a new firmware to the ABS controller that lets you enable the option. I'm just stupid enough to try on my ecoboost w/PP.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hey y'all.

Wanna buy some louvers??

Why on earth would you??

https://www.americanmuscle.com/glasskinz-mustang-tekno-1-rear-window-louvers-tekno1s197.html

:chloe:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been having dirty thoughts about the SVE SP2 wheels in bronze. They're a PP2 wheel replica in more reasonable offset (the PP2 wheels poke out way too much for my taste). I generally like my PP1 wheels but black isn't my favorite and they are a pain in the dick to clean.

Current:

SP2's:

Whatever I do, I'm definitely getting the PS4S tires again. They are god-tier. Love them.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Hey y'all.

Wanna buy some louvers??

:chloe:
LOL what the hell, WHY WOULD YOU GET THAT?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its so weird.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honestly can't tell if that's for a Mustang rear window or a JL Wrangler hood.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I thought at first it was trying to evoke some old-style fastback look, but I can't find anything that resembles it. So it seems like they're like that from a "practical" standpoint. I guess if you absolutely have to have (semi-)louvers but refuse to give up rear corner visibility, uh, :shrug:

That's all I got.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
Recently took possession of a 2019 Bullitt .. cast derision or drool at my life choices. It's a sweet, sweet ride.
Standard complaints: no back seat, completely useless cup holders - and my own: I'd like to remove the Bullitt logo from the back trunk panel. I really like the lack of exterior branding the car has.

Kits I've seen from minor searching:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL7CFF7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UJX5VPTQEL90&psc=1
https://www.cjponyparts.com/accelatec-taillight-panel-molding-gloss-black-smooth-without-emblem-2015-2019/p/TPM43/

A common theme in these types of items seems to be warping, and poor sizing. Has anyone here completed this task and have suggestions on what to look for? Warnings? Good to knows? Sources?

Thanking you in advance for your notable and wise recommendations.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
How the hell do you say you just got a 2019 Bullitt and not post pictures?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mosnar posted:

Recently took possession of a 2019 Bullitt .. cast derision or drool at my life choices. It's a sweet, sweet ride.
Standard complaints: no back seat, completely useless cup holders - and my own: I'd like to remove the Bullitt logo from the back trunk panel. I really like the lack of exterior branding the car has.

Kits I've seen from minor searching:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL7CFF7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UJX5VPTQEL90&psc=1
https://www.cjponyparts.com/accelatec-taillight-panel-molding-gloss-black-smooth-without-emblem-2015-2019/p/TPM43/

A common theme in these types of items seems to be warping, and poor sizing. Has anyone here completed this task and have suggestions on what to look for? Warnings? Good to knows? Sources?

Thanking you in advance for your notable and wise recommendations.
Drool.

Definitely drool.

I'd love to pick one up, but can't afford it *and* it's after a Tesla in line. Maybe used in 3-4 years.

Where's the drat pics?!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Think my new edge is due to launch another spark plug.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

thebigcow posted:

Think my new edge is due to launch another spark plug.

Truly the best feature, so easy to change them when they pop out like a turkey timer.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
tl;dr - I accidentally traded my car in

Backstory: I just received a promotion/five digit raise at my place of work and was feelin' all high and mighty. Had previously arranged for an airbag recall service on my previous ride.

I was also looking at putting some ducats into the ride to fix a nasty ding in the passenger side door (not shown) fix the chipped paint on the hood from the previous owner, full alignment, etc
Whilst waiting at the dealership I was confronted with this ..

This was the last Bullitt they had in stock, and as was expressed to me, the majority of their clientele were more truck oriented, so I got it for base MSRP even with the upgraded(!) electronics.

While I was outside, one of the sales folk came out for a smoke and I asked him if he had the keys, to which he replied he most certainly did not, but he'd go get them ..

The bastards ... they let me start it.
Thus began my long and sordid slide into new car ownership.

Approximately an hour later I had the keys and was roaring off into the sunset.

Ignore the pasty white individual reflected in the marvelous Highland Green ..

Yeah, I need to power wash and seal the fence.

Visual indicator of completely useless cup holders and possibly questionable tattoo.

She's a thirsty girl.

But I've been treating her right.

I'm inching closer to 21 overall mpg, I don't know why it particularly matters to me (other than the obvious $$) .. I find it a challenge to see how high I can get it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nicccceeee. How are you liking the rev matching? (if you have it turned on). I'm still salty they seemingly withheld that from 2018's even though all the pieces seem to be there, and that nobody has figured out how to hack it in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Those cupholders are not completely useless.

And I hate you so much right now. (It's all jealousy). Beautiful, dude. Just beautiful.

Never look at the MPG display. I got about 16 on my GT. Go have fun and never look at it again.

Go sign up for the bullitt registry on mustang6g.com.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 28, 2019