Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Were the lines they were doing actually from the Lancer pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Unmature posted:

Were the lines they were doing actually from the Lancer pilot?

Oddly no, given how closely the replicated other stuff throughout the movie, though they do take Rick's costume directly from the episode. This is the equivalent of the saloon scene in the actual pilot: https://youtu.be/9_VbQffGmoI?t=1757

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oddly no, given how closely the replicated other stuff throughout the movie, though they do take Rick's costume directly from the episode. This is the equivalent of the saloon scene in the actual pilot: https://youtu.be/9_VbQffGmoI?t=1757

That’s awesome, thank you

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Casting Rebecca Gayheart as Cliff's wife sure was an interesting choice, considering her infamous past.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I just got off from a shuttle driver, and he told me he saw the movie. He said one of his favorite parts was seeing Bruce Lee get his rear end kicked as he said it proved to his friend that Bruce Lee wasn't poo poo since he "was only 120lbs."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just got off from a shuttle driver, and he told me he saw the movie. He said one of his favorite parts was seeing Bruce Lee get his rear end kicked as he said it proved to his friend that Bruce Lee wasn't poo poo since he "was only 120lbs."

I know you don't believe your friend but dude could CURL 110 pounds. He took the phrase "pure muscle" to the limit. Imagine being able to curl over 90% of your weight with one arm.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, I don't really see that fight as Bruce Lee losing. It's obviously establishing Cliff as a good fighter, with the reference being made to that. But the fight itself? Bruce Lee just owns Cliff right off the bell. Then Cliff goads him into making the exact same move, which he's now prepared to counteract. Then they start actually fighting and it's a tie.
I mean, it ends 1-1. That's not Bruce Lee getting his rear end kicked like some people (not necessarily you good people) keep saying.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, I don't really see that fight as Bruce Lee losing. It's obviously establishing Cliff as a good fighter, with the reference being made to that. But the fight itself? Bruce Lee just owns Cliff right off the bell. Then Cliff goads him into making the exact same move, which he's now prepared to counteract. Then they start actually fighting and it's a tie.
I mean, it ends 1-1. That's not Bruce Lee getting his rear end kicked like some people (not necessarily you good people) keep saying.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that Lee was holding back was ready to give Cliff everything at the point in which it stopped.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I still think it was a fantasy playing out in Cliff's head and it just got more and more silly as it went on, sort of like Bunuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie with scenes getting progressively more absurd until it turns out to be a dream.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I still think it was a fantasy playing out in Cliff's head and it just got more and more silly as it went on, sort of like Bunuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie with scenes getting progressively more absurd until it turns out to be a dream.

It's 100% an event that happened cause it's why the guy from Green Hornet doesn't want Cliff on set for Lancer.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well I mean don’t forget the other elephant in the room
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/1159831195577913344?s=21

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's 100% an event that happened cause it's why the guy from Green Hornet doesn't want Cliff on set for Lancer.

It's an event that happened, but it is framed from Cliff's view. So how it actually played out, we don't know, nor is it important because Cliff accepts his fate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't get the insistence on it being a dream sequence. It definitely happened.

edit: Curious how many people who think the Bruce Lee fight was a dream sequence think that the final sequence of Taxi Driver is a dream sequence.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 9, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think anyone is arguing that it's a 100% fantasy, just that Cliff might be remembering it in a way that casts him in a better light. The movie spends a lot of run time devoted to showing how all of Hollywood is acting to themselves as much as they're acting to the audience. You know, the fairy tales they keep telling themselves and the audience.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Goddamn it, the Tarantino edit of You Keep Me Hanging On with the excellent intro isn't available to stream and you have to buy the whole album for it. gently caress that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone smarter than me should describe how the Kid Colt and Sgt Fury comics in Cliff’s trailer represent the two main characters (the cowboy and the soldier).

Both were the longest running Marvel comics of their respective genres.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

The problems with those readings is that they require you to rewrite the film and make logical leaps that are not supported by the film.

Rick's pressures to change comes from the fact that he's getting older and he's not the hot property any more. It's not like he's being punished for his behavior or that what was acceptable is suddenly not anymore. He's just the not the hot property anymore.
I think after the news breaks that he roasted a home invader with a flamethrower he'll be a hot property once again.

Just saw this movie, loved it. Very Tarantino in all the right ways. Acting was great.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So when are the hipsters gonna start championing The Hateful Eight as the best Tarantino film?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chuka Umana posted:

So when are the hipsters gonna start championing The Hateful Eight as the best Tarantino film?

I do like it a lot, but I feel like 90% of that is Walton Goggins.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Nail Rat posted:

I know you don't believe your friend but dude could CURL 110 pounds. He took the phrase "pure muscle" to the limit. Imagine being able to curl over 90% of your weight with one arm.

I highly doubt that

This movie is only getting released Thursday here (and Midsommar next month) :argh:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The movie was really underwhelming with some good performances. It felt more like a slice of life at what I'm assuming was an important formative time for Quinten. I think this is one of his lesser films but it captured good atmosphere. I really don't care one way or the other about this except that it exists.

Leo in the 60s filmed that way was awesome though. I liked Brad Pitt in this a lot. Margot was beautiful. And I hope that little girl actress stays healthy and has a good movie career, she did great.

It feels like Leo being the over the hill actor was like a cowboy past his prime but with enough in him to give it one last big go. Brad Pitt as the soldier did his duty to take care of his boss and friend and Leo did what he could to keep his friend employed and hanging in there. Margot represents complete innocence it felt like and it feels like Quinten wanted to keep that alive and safe. The little girl represents a Hollywood yet to come, more mature with advanced concepts of acting.

Zane posted:

rick and cliff are typifications of a mid-century ideal of american manhood. on one level, they're two different aspects of the same ideal as it is concretized by individuals: rick is the aspiration towards it and cliff is the realization of it. central to this ideal is the reproduction of a certain kind of male-dominated social order through the means of heroic, morally righteous, male violence. this is the ideal propagated by mid-century Hollywood films -- including, very classically, the western. tarantino both commemorates and criticizes this ideal. he encourages us to root for cliff: to acknowledge, to take shelter under, the righteousness and the authority of the traditional masculinity he exemplifies. but this same masculinity has a--self-admitted--toxic undercurrent in its brutality towards women (the wife he might have killed; the manson women he does kill), its dominance of racial others, and--far more broadly--the celebration of the violence it effectively institutionalizes within american culture. it is this culture of morally righteous paternalist violence that, in the film's own logic, informs--in a sort of dialectical way--the mansons family's millennial ideology and that drives them to murder. tarantino engages in a historical self-criticism of the violence he simultaneously fetishizes within the medium of film. he plays a trick on the audience. he makes us complicit: encouraging us to root for the morally righteous patriarchal violence that cliff unleashes upon the mansons. in the process: we condemn ourselves, internalizing the values that seem to have unleashed these events in the first place.

tarantino is self-conscious about all of this. rick dalton is a fraud, unable to live up to this ideal of masculinity, and entirely unreflective towards this same ideal; cliff booth is a fantasy. the manson murders symbolized the end of a certain kind of american innocence. it was when the complacency of the old studio system was being upended and when the millennial aspirations of the 1960s were turning badly sour. the movie--'once upon a time'--is the self-conscious fantasy of an age of innocence--of an uncomplicated social order--that can never be recaptured.

This is fantastic, thank you for this. Another instance this is shown, imo, is when the hippies say they want revenge on the fascist movie/TV industry that taught them all violence was okay.

Thinking about it more, the Cowboy and the Soldier are indeed two classic American archetypes of men in the past that were supposed to be looked up to. Masculine ideals. One comment a woman makes at the party is that one of the female characters, I think Margot's Sharon Tate, seems to love shorter brown haired men and comments they're like boys. The little girl reading a book is both educated, well spoken, mature, more advanced in thinking than Leo's character and dedicated to her craft. She mentions responsibility. She is the future, what is to come. A change in order from Leo's era.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 12, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

I'm not 100% against the depiction of Lee in that I don't think what was put on camera was necessarily disrespectful although his family disagrees so what do I know?

I am starting to question the interpretation that Lee not losing makes the scene okay. I think there is the broader issue of a movie with only one Asian character--really the only character of color--being a prop to bolster a fictional white guy. It's kind of irrelevant that we don't know if Cliff is better, he's at least presented as an equal, because that's not the underlying issue that I think skeeves people out. The issue is that it's a character of color being used solely to show us how badass the hero is.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My main offense to the Bruce Lee scene is the play on the persona as if he's arrogant or full of it. If it was to show Brad Pitt's character as competent, that's okay. His "defeat" or being able to stand his ground is okay. But it makes Bruce look to be somewhat of a chump and shown up when it isn't necessary the way he speaks of him versus Clay.

In a way that also is showing a sort of last gasp of the old American Stunt Man/Action Star compared to what is to come in the future. Just as the little girl shows what is to come after Leo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One really good thing about this movie, it made me want to watch a bunch of late 60s B-action and western trash. Like I’ve seen a Django or two but QT seems to really know and love this poo poo.

And I also really want to see The Wrecking Crew but it’s not even on VoD so I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

One really good thing about this movie, it made me want to watch a bunch of late 60s B-action and western trash. Like I’ve seen a Django or two but QT seems to really know and love this poo poo.

And I also really want to see The Wrecking Crew but it’s not even on VoD so I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Reminds me of how I ended up watching "Dark of the Sun" due to the sound being so prominent in Inglorious Basterds.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

wasn’t the bruce lee fight supposed to seem ridiculous in the end? it was all a stupid fantasy

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean to me the end is overwhelmed by "gently caress yeah, Zoë Bell!' so it's hard to say.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean to me the end is overwhelmed by "gently caress yeah, Zoë Bell!' so it's hard to say.

She deserves more leading roles.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

She deserves more leading roles.

I'm so hyped that she's getting into directing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t know this, and now I am too hyped!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What is she directing?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dean Martin reprised the Matt Helm role for a couple of films, none of them are very good but it's fun seeing Dino do his drunk flirty guy schtick while also doing his James Bond thing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Wrecking Crew is probably the worst of the Matt Helm movies.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Serious Party Gods posted:

If you're looking for some sort of redemption WRT the inclusion of Polanski in the film.. Consider the fact that he dressed him like Austin Powers for gently caress's sake.

Nah, Polanski did that on his own. Shagadelic baby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mem
Sep 1, 2005
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/quentin-tarantino-defends-bruce-lee-fight-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1202165238/

"Bruce Lee was kind of an arrogant guy,” Tarantino told press about depicting the actor in such a cocky manner. “The way he was talking, I didn’t just make a lot of that up. I heard him say things like that to that effect. If people are saying, ‘Well he never said he could beat up Mohammad Ali,’ well yeah he did. Alright? Not only did he say that but his wife, Linda Lee, said that in her first biography I ever read. She absolutely said that.”

"Could Cliff beat up Bruce Lee? Brad would not be able to beat up Bruce Lee, but Cliff maybe could,” Tarantino said. “If you ask me the question, ‘Who would win in a fight: Bruce Lee or Dracula?’ It’s the same question. It’s a fictional character. If I say Cliff can beat Bruce Lee up, he’s a fictional character so he could beat Bruce Lee up. 

Personally, I can't believe people get hung up on this, particularly in a movie with fairy tale practically in the title.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mem posted:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/quentin-tarantino-defends-bruce-lee-fight-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1202165238/

"Bruce Lee was kind of an arrogant guy,” Tarantino told press about depicting the actor in such a cocky manner. “The way he was talking, I didn’t just make a lot of that up. I heard him say things like that to that effect. If people are saying, ‘Well he never said he could beat up Mohammad Ali,’ well yeah he did. Alright? Not only did he say that but his wife, Linda Lee, said that in her first biography I ever read. She absolutely said that.”

I mean Bruce has been quoting saying otherwise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Death of the Author never mattered more than with Tarantino

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

mem posted:

Personally, I can't believe people get hung up on this, particularly in a movie with fairy tale practically in the title.

Because out of all the real life Hollywood actors, the only one with a slightly negative portrayal is Bruce Lee, who comes across like an arrogant buffoon (we're not even talking about the fight here). Even Polanski doesn't come across badly. Also Bruce is the only non-white real-life person too unless I'm mistaken, so that kinda sucks.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I wouldn't expect many non-white characters in a 1960s Hollywood movie about a Western actor and his stuntman, or the Tate/Manson story.

Regardless, I didn't think Bruce came off that bad other than maybe being arrogant (which a bunch of stuntmen hanging out would seem pretty fitting that they might be poo poo-talking). Hell, I would imagine Tarantino is a fan of his if he's read his biography.

I thought the scene was funny and while I have no strong feelings about Bruce Lee, I do like a couple of his flicks. Looks like some people didn't like it, and that's fine. I guess I was just surprised to see anyone have a reaction to that scene other than a laugh and a realization that Cliff is one bad mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I love Bruce Lee, but I didn't mind his portrayal in this. He was definitely cocky, but he seemed like a pretty cocky dude in real life. He also gets a couple of really good moments during the fight (when he finds out Cliff might have killed his wife, when he balks at Zoe Bell saying he was getting his rear end kicked) and a sweet moment with Sharon later.

I think Polanski gets a much worse portrayal. He basically gets the same treatment that Manson gets.