Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Welcome to Game Kiwi’s return to the Digital World in... Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth!

What is this game?
It’s a JRPG for the PSVita, PS4, and Nintendo Switch starring everybody’s favorite Japanese collection of creatures, the Digimon. I haven’t played much of this before, but the battle system reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy X, so that’s a really good sign in my book. We're playing on PS4.

Who are you?
Game Kiwi is an internet in-joke turned into a real thing. This time I’ve got my girlfriend on second mic. You’ll know her voice if you’ve been following GK’s yearly Extra Life Streams, or our adventure streaming through all of the Kingdom Hearts series.

When will you release?
We plan on releasing videos once or twice a week on no specific day, depending on how much backlog we build up. More backlog means more episodes sooner.

Anything else?
This isn’t Game Kiwi’s first foray into Digimon games. If you missed it, check out our very first ever LP, Digimon World: Re-Digitized. It’s...showing its age, honestly. It was a different time, man.

Since it's a JRPG with random battles I'll probably cut out ones we record where nothing interesting is being said. I'll also do grinding off camera completely, so there shouldn't bee tooooo much of it past the first batch (1-5) of episodes. I just left it in those to give a general idea of how the game actually is.

I'll also have some user participation like the last Digimon LP. I'll be taking suggestions for evolution lines people want us to go down, as well as letting y'all name our mons, within reason.

:siren: Spoiler Rules: :siren:
Please don’t. Both Reiko and I getting it for the first time (as may be other posters). Please don’t ruin it for us. If you really really want to talk spoilers, there’s the Digimon General Thread for that, or you can PM me for evolution tips or things you want me to try and check out. If you absolutely have a burning need to talk spoilers, then blackbar tag them and any responses to spoiler comments. Don’t go crazy with it though.

Episode List:
Episode 1 - Jack In to Digimon
Episode 2 - The One Where We Play the Game
Episode 3 - My Weird digital Body
Episode 4 - It's A sneaking Mission
Episode 5 - Welcome To the Digilab
Episode 6 - Who's That digimon?
Episode 7 - It's pants Time!
Episode 8 - Mysterious digital Face
Episode 9 - Jimiken Rising
Episode 10 -So Much For less Poop
Episode 11 - Life On the Lamb
Episode 12 - Sleuth rank Up"
Episode 13 - Fill Theworld with Music
Episode 14 - A sneaking Mission
Episode 15 - Time to Dip

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
reserved

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

reserved

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

:siren: Audience Participation Time :siren:

i've got some mons what need names! the mons in question are:

Guilmon = FriendBesto

Hagurumon = Cogsworth

Punimon = PUNYMAN

Tokomon = TEEF

names will appear as early as episode 6, which we'll be recording next week.

e: names have been got

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 13, 2019

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I have two names in mind.

Guilmon:FriendBesto

Hagurumon:Cogsworth

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It is done.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
punimon : PUNYMAN All caps please.

Tokomon : 420Blazeit :okpos: or TEEF

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd repressed the memories of Tokumon maw.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

...what is the thread title joke? How much pooping was in the last game/thread/whatever that's referencing?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Akratic Method posted:

...what is the thread title joke? How much pooping was in the last game/thread/whatever that's referencing?

Digimon World was the first Digimon game released and was basically an RPG with virtual pet raising wedged awkwardly in. It was pretty infamous for the fact that your Digimon, regardless of what it or where it was, would often stop everything to have to go to the toilet. This mechanic, despite not really being a thing in any of the games following (bar the Digimon World remake released around the same time as this), burned itself in the minds of those who played it.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

Ardeem posted:

I'd repressed the memories of Tokumon maw.

and that is why Teef is the right name. Because you may chose to forget...but once seen you can't unlearn

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really don't see how you can be an effective Cyber Sleuth without poop

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Digimon World was the first Digimon game released and was basically an RPG with virtual pet raising wedged awkwardly in. It was pretty infamous for the fact that your Digimon, regardless of what it or where it was, would often stop everything to have to go to the toilet. This mechanic, despite not really being a thing in any of the games following (bar the Digimon World remake released around the same time as this), burned itself in the minds of those who played it.

This. The last Digimon game I lp'd was said remake that's in the op.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks for the double post, phone.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man, I played this back when it first released and honestly, as someone who hadn't touched Digimon period since, like, Frontier, I thought the game was amazing. Good luck with your LP, I hope you had as much of a blast as I did. Are we allowed to give you grinding advice or leveling advice? Some of the requirements to Digivolve certain mons can be a huge pain in the keester.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yeah. give me all the advice. i love tips.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

new episode time. this time we actually see what the gameplay is like in the aptly titled...

Episode 2 - The One Where We Play the Game

edit: i forgot that i also have the free dlc now, sooooo

:siren: NEW DIGIMON TO NAME :siren:

Agumon (Black) = Dinoir

Gabumon (Black) = Zebra

Agumon (Tai Yagami Costume)

Agumon (Hero Costume MALE & FEMALE) <- 2 names here

The last 3 will never evolve (and honestly probably won't get used) because they'll lose the costumes, but you can still name them!

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 14, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Cyber Sleuth is very easy to snap over your knee levelling-wise, and it's worth doing in moderation at least if you want to deep-dive into some of the better DNA Digivolutions and the like.

Digivolve your Hagurumon into Sukamon (it doubles XP earned naturally), and stick a Tactician USB (also doubles XP earned) on it. Several if you can, because they STACK. You'll want two Sukamons in the long run, so you can bounce them separately up to PlatinumSukamon at the Mega level, and for even more grossly-broken XP-earning as you stack more Tactician USB's into their three accessory slots.

You can get a Tactician USB early on from one of the tournaments, iirc.

The downside is your LP title will be very, very, wrong about the amount of poop it will wind up containing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 13, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I was going to wait until Chapter 7 to say that, because that's when one of the best grinding spots becomes available, but yes, the above post is correct. Poop is extremely powerful in this game.

EDIT: I went and double checked the chapter since it's been years since I've played this game, and it actually unlocks in Chapter 4, not 7.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 13, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

gently caress i can't believe i lost in my Poop Gambit

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You could just... not make poop monsters and grind slower.

masam
May 27, 2010
Having seen my roommate play through this game at points, no. Do not grind slower. I watched the man digivolve and de-digivolve the same thing NINE times over the course of several hours to get a late game mon.

Edit, name augumon black Dinoir

masam fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 13, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ardeem posted:

You could just... not make poop monsters and grind slower.

not...make poop monsters? i don't understand these words when next to each other

masam posted:

name augumon black Dinoir

i like it. a (probably) evergreen name

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

masam posted:

Having seen my roommate play through this game at points, no. Do not grind slower. I watched the man digivolve and de-digivolve the same thing NINE times over the course of several hours to get a late game mon.

Yeah, it seems game-wrecking but it's insanely useful for juggling a Digimon up and down its line in the span of a few minutes to get its affinity and stats up.

Also name the BlackGabuMon "Zebra".

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

masam posted:

nine is low, let me show you a suggested evolution path for a vaguely pvp ready endgame mon

DemiDevimon (Panic Wisp) > Kurisarimon > Cyberdramon (Venom Trap) > Veedramon > MetalTyrannomon (Ripping Net) > Tyrannomon (Acceleration Boost) > Megadramon > Greymon > Hackmon > PlatinumSukamon (Character Reversal) > Vademon > GoldNumemon (Texture Blow) > Armadillomon (Shock) > Ankylomon > Gomamon (Idle Bubble) > Frigimon > Monzaemon > Sakuyamon > (Restore, Final Heal and Status Barrier) > Silphymon > Hououmon (Safety Guard) > Piximon > Ophanimon (Perfect Revival and Final Aura) > Angewomon > Sunflowmon/Gatomon > Lilamon/Lillymon > Lotosmon (Support End) > LadyDevimon > Bakemon (Physical Drain) > Myotismon > Devimon > MetalGreymon (Blue) > WarGreymon (Attack Charge Field) > MetalGreymon/MetalGreymon (Blue) > Growlmon/Greymon (Blue) > Goblimon > Tsunomon > Veemon > Veedramon > AeroVeedramon > UlforceVeedramon (Speed Charge Field)

to paraphrase the spoilers it's an evolution chain 40 links long to make sure you get all the skills you'd want and end on what's probably the strongest mon. I love this game, and I'm glad to see someone LP it so more people can know about it, but man is the leveling in it borked as hell

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I could have sworn the max number of moves known was less than eighteen, but it has been a year or so since I played.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

20 is the max number of moves a single digimon can use. I'll also say that for actual in game poo poo you don't need anything anywhere near that comprehensive, and honestly just by using someone you leveled actually playing the game you'd likely have 3 or 4 of them anyways.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm probably gonna try to balance between mons i like and ones y'all wanna see.

i'll also probably have a video doing poo poo to get a Top Mon just to show what it's like

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheFlyingLlama posted:

20 is the max number of moves a single digimon can use. I'll also say that for actual in game poo poo you don't need anything anywhere near that comprehensive, and honestly just by using someone you leveled actually playing the game you'd likely have 3 or 4 of them anyways.

Anything you've yo-yo'ed through a few digivolution lines is going to just crush everything it faces by endgame.

Oh also, the Digimon's Type takes a much higher precidence over the elemental matching.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah, I had a few oppses involving digivolving and suddenly realizing I no longer had any vaccine types.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I had the opposite problem, where all my fave Digimon were Vaccine types with little to no Virus types.

masam
May 27, 2010

mikeycp posted:

not...make poop monsters? i don't understand these words when next to each other

i like it. a (probably) evergreen name

Thank ya! Im glad you liked it. I dont know what you mean by evergreen though, i just made a portmanteau of dino/noir!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i mean that it'll make sense when he evolves, not just for this form

e: maybe. i don't actually know

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Would giving advice for couple good early digimon be too much?

You posted no spoilers but also asked for tips so I'd just like to know

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

follow your best judgement, i say crossing my fingers

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013

mikeycp posted:

follow your best judgement, i say crossing my fingers

Ok

Gatomon, BlackGatomon and Clockmon's signature attacks do a fixed amount of 150 damage

So early game one can be useful to have

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

time for a new episode

Episode 3 - My Weird digital Body

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

:siren: AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION TIME!! :siren:

in the latest recording session we got some new mons who needs names!

Yokomon

Kudamon

Otamamon = King Poop

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 18, 2019

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

mikeycp posted:

:siren: AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION TIME!! :siren:

What, no. Agumon is the Charmelion equivalent and clearly better.

Also, given its likely fate, name Otamamon King Poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm not trying to start some stuff, but I'm also saying, Agumon's increasingly convoluted evolutionary line can kick Charmander's evolution's asses.