Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm trying to watch Roma on Netflix, but I'm ten minutes in and I still haven't seen any English subtitles. What's going on here? Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind, they worked on another device.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
On Netflix, you can them on and off.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just watched Nekrotronic, an australian indie about demon hunters and supernatural mobile games. Starring Monica Belluci as the demon godess/superwitch. Honestly, this is what the Ghostbusters remake should have been like. It's campy, trashy fun, with a low(er) production value but it still looks great. If you like Z-Nation or Blood Drive, check this out asap.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wu Assassin was alright, it felt like they've filmed one vague show and are going to cut it up a few different ways for different target markets. A lot of the actors in it have done much better work in previous shows, so I think a lot of what I found lacking is due to production decisions or poor directing. Nobody does a bad job but the guy who played Uncle Six (Byron Mann) was much better in Altered Carbon, Kevin Durand was comparatively flat, the Scottish villain (Tommy Flanagan) lacks the energy he's put into basically every other role I've seen him in before, and so on. The script itself is pretty basic, I'm assuming it was written to be translated easily for multiple foreign markets. Does a flatter affect make it easier to translate characters for different markets too? Maybe all of this was by design. The fight choreography was quite good by tv standards but Iko Uwais is capable of so much more, so it felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Trying to decide on Incendies and Place Beyond the Pines, both streaming on Netflix. Thoughts?

I haven't seen Incendies, but The Place Beyond the Pines is pretty good. Ben Mendelsohn is outstanding in a minor role. It's a rather meditative, rather dark movie that won't leave you with any easy answers.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 11, 2019

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES

garycoleisgod posted:

The Shield is a very good show that is elevated to great simply by virtue of it's finale. I think it might be the greatest show ending ever, everything just fits.

Does any other finale come close to touching the high bar set by the Shield?

Breaking Bad? Six Feet Under? The Shield's finale is just so goddamn satisfying and smart.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there a list of episodes of the shield that are skippable? Not sure if I have 7 whole seasons in me

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mr. Sloth posted:

Breaking Bad? Six Feet Under? The Shield's finale is just so goddamn satisfying and smart.

I know it’s not everyone’s thing but I would put The Leftovers finale in that tier.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tainen posted:

I know it’s not everyone’s thing but I would put The Leftovers finale in that tier.

It was magnificent, answers all questions, strangely. And leaves two major characters older and wiser and in a state of flux.

That ending was like Casablanca.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The 12 Monkeys finale was near perfect imo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Angel and Parks & Recreation also had epic finales.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mr. Sloth posted:

Twin Peaks; I still think about the finale on at least a weekly basis.

The Wire had an ending that was simultaneously unexpected and yet the perfect (and really, only possible) way to encapsulate the theme of the show.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

tweet my meat posted:

Is there a list of episodes of the shield that are skippable? Not sure if I have 7 whole seasons in me

Not really a list of episodes, but the show does have two distinct phases, pre-money train and post money-train, something that is built up throughout the 2nd season and happens in the last ep of that season. You could maybe start with that episode and see what happens, then watch the rest. The events there are really what drive the events of every subsequent season.

Although watching from the start is advisable, especially the events at the end of the very first episode. Season one is a bit rough otherwise though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

American Honey is pretty good and surprisingly entertaining for a 3 hour movie where not much happens, but saying it was inspired by Harmony Korine feels like an understatement.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Angel and Parks & Recreation also had epic finales.

Better to have the Angel writers scramble up an ending than have Bones just keep going.

Major characters died in ways that were awful but then it was like great guns, let's uhhhh

All die together in an alley. Like a really moodily lit alley, with dragons

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was just talking about it earlier, but I really appreciated Justified's finale. It was very satisfying in an unexpected way. I definitely was not expecting the main plot to wrap up halfway through the episode and then do a time jump, but it worked here. Having it end on a conversation instead of some shootout that leaves everyone dead or depressed for the rest of their lives was just really nice to see. The showrunner said they considered killing some people off, but the show ultimately wasn't a tragedy and they didn't see a need to be dark just for its own sake. It's a relatively happy ending, all things considered. More importantly, it actually made perfect sense for it to end that way.

Oh, and Twin Peaks obviously. Both finales. I really need to rewatch the third season.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Filthy Hans posted:

Wu Assassin was alright, it felt like they've filmed one vague show and are going to cut it up a few different ways for different target markets. A lot of the actors in it have done much better work in previous shows, so I think a lot of what I found lacking is due to production decisions or poor directing. Nobody does a bad job but the guy who played Uncle Six (Byron Mann) was much better in Altered Carbon, Kevin Durand was comparatively flat, the Scottish villain (Tommy Flanagan) lacks the energy he's put into basically every other role I've seen him in before, and so on. The script itself is pretty basic, I'm assuming it was written to be translated easily for multiple foreign markets. Does a flatter affect make it easier to translate characters for different markets too? Maybe all of this was by design. The fight choreography was quite good by tv standards but Iko Uwais is capable of so much more, so it felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

The writing in general just wasn't very good. I give it extra points for having my favorite kung fu movie trope: literally everyone knows martial arts. Sous chef. Heroin addict. Canadian Cop. Random thugs. Even the rednecks at Cafe Racist seemed to.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenMedium posted:

The writing in general just wasn't very good. I give it extra points for having my favorite kung fu movie trope: literally everyone knows martial arts. Sous chef. Heroin addict. Canadian Cop. Random thugs. Even the rednecks at Cafe Racist seemed to.

That northwestern bigot diner throwdown scene was hammy in the best way. Another trope was people fighting on the villain's behalf when they had absolutely no reason to, The Scottish guy had already made it past the mystical border and back to the 14th century or whenever he came from, and those mooks fought to the death afterwords anyway instead of just going back to the real world since they weren't needed anymore. Also, leaving Summer Glau alive after killing her metal avatar boyfriend in that brawl was probably a mistake.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 11, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching the first season of the leftovers and its really good. i like that they (so far) arent explaining the departure. i was afraid going in that it was going to be some lovely mystery about the reasons for what happened but im happy its being used as a tool to explore themes about loss and coping and stuff

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kanine posted:

I'm watching the first season of the leftovers and its really good. i like that they (so far) arent explaining the departure. i was afraid going in that it was going to be some lovely mystery about the reasons for what happened but im happy its being used as a tool to explore themes about loss and coping and stuff

That’s why it’s so good. The characters and their relationships are far more important.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rad Valtar posted:

That’s why it’s so good. The characters and their relationships are far more important.

Yeah the Leftovers is good enough on those legs they don't need an answer. It's frosting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bounced off of the Leftovers after the second episode back when it was airing, and I've heard enough at this point to realize that I hosed up, but it's hard to come back to something after I already decided I wasn't going to like it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Incendies is far and away the superior film compared to The Place Beyond the Pines, which is several movies mashed into one blasé product

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

veni veni veni posted:

I bounced off of the Leftovers after the second episode back when it was airing, and I've heard enough at this point to realize that I hosed up, but it's hard to come back to something after I already decided I wasn't going to like it.

Very very same. Helps that its only 3 seasons so that feels more manageable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hit a few bummers.

I tried watching King of New York and wow.. I just couldn't do it. I got just over halfway through and it was just so so bad. I'm sure it was great back in that era, because I remember thinking New Jack City was awesome when it came out, but rewatching that is the same way. They didn't age well.

I also only could make it into season 3 of The Shield before I had to give it up. I couldn't deal with the endless wtf moments getting cornier and cornier. I really wanted to make it to the end tho!

I did like Suspect Zero. Ben Kingsley is so loving creepy, I hope he won some sort of an award for that role because holy poo poo.

Bohemian Rhapsody is on HBOGO and that was good. Very sad, but very good also.

Thumbs up on The Boys. It did seem to get a little grating at parts, but at the end of the season I enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Anybody watch the new Rocko's Modern Life? The show's title is so accurate now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Watched it this past weekend, it's pretty good. Definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the original show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Philthy posted:

I tried watching King of New York and wow.. I just couldn't do it. I got just over halfway through and it was just so so bad. I'm sure it was great back in that era, because I remember thinking New Jack City was awesome when it came out, but rewatching that is the same way. They didn't age well.

:allbuttons:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s really good!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Philthy posted:

Hit a few bummers.

I don't remember the movie, but I remember really liking the poster for King of New York.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
King of New York is amazing and a classic grimy New York film. I was considering doing my Movie of the Month post on it actually.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Madness.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I don't remember the movie, but I remember really liking the poster for King of New York.

The cast of that movie is stacked, and it has one of Laurence Fishburne's best performances in it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

And then he said bohemian rhapsody was good! In the same post! On these, the most troll free forums on the ‘Net!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The new season of Glow is pretty good, but it starts off pretty slow, there's hardly any wrestling in the first 4 eps or so and, for better or worse, most of the season's high points hit in the ring; there are also some really funny scenes that take place at a local drag queen show. There's a central theme of individual growth taking place during the stagnation of playing the same show ad nauseum for months at a time, and it works because the actors are all good and the characters are mostly pretty interesting. The only things I would criticize are a) the Vegas setting isn't really developed that much, it would have been nice to see some larger-scale shots of the strip in it's 80's glory and maybe some shots of contemporaneous shows instead of just namedropping Siegfield & Roy etc.; and b) the plot thread about Tamme "Welfare Queen" Dawson's chronic back pain led to my favorite episode, where Dawson gets everyone to change roles so that she can play an Old Biddy because she's in too much pain to walk around on stage and needs the support of the walker, and all the girls love the change-up, much to the chagrin of Bash Howard, but the resolution to Dawson's dilemma turning her into a Bobby Heenan-style wrestling manager so she could act in the show without exacerbating her injury is once again in told, not showed. Overall it's a strong season and shouldn't disappoint its fans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is anyone else looking forward to Carnival Row? I saw the trailer for it the other day and I was pretty into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369LHB9N-Ro

That Victorian-era fantasy aesthetic is totally my poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just finished the Tick series on Amazon and pretty bummed to find out it's pretty much cancelled already. What a shame, I really enjoyed the world they build around the central characters.

mike12345 posted:

Just watched Nekrotronic, an australian indie about demon hunters and supernatural mobile games. Starring Monica Belluci as the demon godess/superwitch. Honestly, this is what the Ghostbusters remake should have been like. It's campy, trashy fun, with a low(er) production value but it still looks great. If you like Z-Nation or Blood Drive, check this out asap.

Thought this originally said Nekromantik and got all excited I can finally watch that movie in HD. I'm in love with Monica Belluci tho, so thanks for the heads up.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 15, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ruddiger posted:

Just finished the Tick series on Amazon and pretty bummed to find out it's pretty much cancelled already. What a shame, I really enjoyed the world they build around the central characters.

Not "pretty much," it's officially toast. Ben Edlund said he shopped the show to both Netflix and Hulu, and they passed.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Veronica Mars season 4. Other than the insane “let’s watch Harlots” Hulu product placement (which, I know, pays the bills... and Harlots is admittedly good) it was great. And holy poo poo, that ending.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timby posted:

Not "pretty much," it's officially toast. Ben Edlund said he shopped the show to both Netflix and Hulu, and they passed.

That sucks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
The Beach Bum is on Hulu and it's great!