Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Additionally, here's a source stating the FBI is investigating the death.

quote:

The U.S. Bureau of Prisons confirmed in a statement Saturday that the FBI would investigate the suicide of the financier, who is accused of sexually abusing and trafficking underage girls.

Unless the U.S. Bureau of Prisons isn't credible, I dunno.

Edit: Also screaming from his cell, I guess, but here's a choice quote:

quote:

In an interview with our West Palm Beach affiliate WPEC, a former Florida corrections worker said Epstein was "treated like a celebrity" during his 13-month stint in a county jail after he pleaded guilty in 2008 to charges of soliciting a minor for prostitution. She claims his cell was regularly left unlocked and she saw him move freely through the dormitory area – sometimes completely naked – without repercussions.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ah, the Mrs. Doubtfire gambit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Additionally, here's a source stating the FBI is investigating the death.

Unless the U.S. Bureau of Prisons isn't credible, I dunno.

Edit: Also screaming from his cell, I guess, but here's a choice quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/nyregion/epstein-barr.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/us/prisons-safety-substitute-guards.html?module=inline

The New York Times has been reporting for the past year on federal prisons having the exact kind of staff problems that are being reported in Epstein's death now. It's just nobody cared until a high profile criminal died under them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok dude you’re right, the highest profile criminal in the entire world managed to commit suicide while in total isolation without fixtures or bed sheets because nobody thought the richest criminal pedophile to ever be convicted merited extra eyes or even video-surveillance. You’ve opened my eyes to the possibilities. You really can just will yourself to death.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok dude you’re right, the highest profile criminal in the entire world managed to commit suicide while in total isolation without fixtures or bed sheets because nobody thought the richest criminal pedophile to ever be convicted merited extra eyes or even video-surveillance. You’ve opened my eyes to the possibilities. You really can just will yourself to death.

He wasn't without fixtures or bedsheets. They already said he was taken off suicide watch beforehand.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/us/prisons-safety-substitute-guards.html?module=inline

The New York Times has been reporting for the past year on federal prisons having the exact kind of staff problems that are being reported in Epstein's death now. It's just nobody cared until a high profile criminal died under them.

I'm not sure how this refutes my point or proves yours when I was responding to your claim you couldn't find credible proof the FBI was investigating his death. Which is also in the first article you listed.

I guess it lends credibility to the idea that the site was compromised, but that just kinda strengthens both our stances?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

He wasn't without fixtures or bedsheets. They already said he was taken off suicide watch beforehand.

if you have pictures of Epstein’s cell it’s kind of rude of you not to share them

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I'm not sure how this refutes my point or proves yours when I was responding to your claim you couldn't find credible proof the FBI was investigating his death. Which is also in the first article you listed.

I guess it lends credibility to the idea that the site was compromised, but that just kinda strengthens both our stances?

I couldn't initially find any info when I did a search, only that there was a Justice Department inquiry being opened (which would be completely expected if someone committed suicide in what's supposed to be a top notch prison because, surprise, the Trump administration is incompetent and cutting funding and staffing!). But there's a really big loving difference between "A year of reporting on federal prison problems turned out to be correct and nobody paid attention until a guy offed himself" and "Someone assassinated a high profile prisoner and every single witness was removed or bribed into perfect silence."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Das Boo posted:

I'm also curious as to why his autopsy is requiring "further information" and had to be overseen by Dr. Baden, an absolute legend in forensic pathology. And why it's being investigated by the FBI if it being a suicide is so apparent.

Baden being involved probably doesn’t mean anything, the dude is an absolute starfucker and habitually pulls strings to get his name attached to any high profile case in the tri-state area.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

When the president visits your bakery you don't ask him to take a number, and when a high profile inmate gets sent to your prison, you don't put him in the cell with the rickety bars and Officer McSleepy on duty. The idea that Epstein's death is the result of lax conditions is laughable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

davidspackage posted:

When the president visits your bakery you don't ask him to take a number, and when a high profile inmate gets sent to your prison, you don't put him in the cell with the rickety bars and Officer McSleepy on duty. The idea that Epstein's death is the result of lax conditions is laughable.

The entire federal prison system is like that. Read the drat articles. It's not like they have a pristine supermax facility and then one cell where they do everything completely wrong. Something like this was waiting to happen ever since they cut funding and ended up having to throw random people on guard duty because they were understaffed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

chitoryu12 posted:

I couldn't initially find any info when I did a search, only that there was a Justice Department inquiry being opened (which would be completely expected if someone committed suicide in what's supposed to be a top notch prison because, surprise, the Trump administration is incompetent and cutting funding and staffing!). But there's a really big loving difference between "A year of reporting on federal prison problems turned out to be correct and nobody paid attention until a guy offed himself" and "Someone assassinated a high profile prisoner and every single witness was removed or bribed into perfect silence."

One doesn't negate the other at all, and context counts in this situation. The guy in question had been running a sex scandal that involved the world's wealthiest and most powerful with a million pages of evidence planned for his trial and was in a facility that either had one suicide in the last 20 years or none since it opened in 1975 (I've read both). He got a sweetheart deal a decade prior, served a minimal sentence in luxury and returned to running his sex ring thereafter. He was on suicide watch for a still unexplained incident two weeks ago and someone signed off on him being removed from it. Procedures failed, a mystery person was a guard on his watch, he was I guess given bedsheets that a previous inmate stated could in no way be used for self-harm, and his death is currently being investigated by the FBI with an autopsy requiring further information. That's a big pile of context.

And he's certainly high profile enough to be assassinated. I listed articles in my initial post on the matter where people were assassinated for far less. This really isn't just "a guy."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Baden being involved probably doesn’t mean anything, the dude is an absolute starfucker and habitually pulls strings to get his name attached to any high profile case in the tri-state area.

He was requested by Epstein's representatives, which is not really the party I'd figure requesting him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Das Boo posted:

One doesn't negate the other at all, and context counts in this situation. The guy in question had been running a sex scandal that involved the world's wealthiest and most powerful with a million pages of evidence planned for his trial and was in a facility that either had one suicide in the last 20 years or none since it opened in 1975 (I've read both). He got a sweetheart deal a decade prior, served a minimal sentence in luxury and returned to running his sex ring thereafter. He was on suicide watch for a still unexplained incident two weeks ago and someone signed off on him being removed from it. Procedures failed, a mystery person was a guard on his watch, he was I guess given bedsheets that a previous inmate stated could in no way be used for self-harm, and his death is currently being investigated by the FBI with an autopsy requiring further information. That's a big pile of context.

And he's certainly high profile enough to be assassinated. I listed articles in my initial post on the matter where people were assassinated for far less. This really isn't just "a guy."

Just because a conspiracy theory makes it easier to comprehend a world where systems are broken and people make mistakes or do stupid poo poo doesn't mean the conspiracy is suddenly valid, especially when there's a lot of reason to think it wasn't an assassination.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

What witness? Part of how you'd do something like this would be to make sure there's nobody around when you do it. So you'd have to pay the few guys who are on duty that night and that's it. So you're talking about a small handful of people, and it's been less than a week. It's way to early to say if they successfully got the "perfect silence" they need, already things are coming out that they probably didn't want in the press so I'd give it some time.

If we're sitting here 6 months from now and no further information comes out, ok I think you have a point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think there's any particular reason to think it wasn't an assassination.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

chitoryu12 posted:

especially when there's a lot of reason to think it wasn't an assassination.

Can you elaborate?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think there's any particular reason to think it wasn't an assassination.

1. We had an entire year of reporting on the exact problems that are being named here, with nobody doing anything to solve them. Unless you're suggesting the conspiracy created these circumstances with the Trump administration cutting funding and leaving federal prisons understaffed years in advance of Epstein going to prison just to make sure they had this cover.

2. His murder wouldn't eliminate any of the far more valuable physical evidence, as we see with the FBI raiding his island despite his death, or any of the victims and staff who could give witness testimony. There's plenty more to investigate, as numerous people (like Ghislaine Maxwell) were involved in his sex trafficking ring and are still vulnerable to prosecution, and any evidence that it was murder would only intensify the investigation.

3. He had no real reason to flip on anyone in court, as he was facing the rest of his life in prison even if he made a plea deal because of his age, the magnitude of his crimes, and losing Acosta's protection with him out of the government. The best anyone could come up with was spite.

4. He was a known lunatic who commissioned a whole drat mural of himself in prison in his mansion as a reminder of how he could go to prison. That's a dude with a loving complex.

There's a lot of reasons to think it wasn't an assassination if you just stop and look at poo poo instead of jumping to the first conclusion that makes you feel validated. But it's pointless, since we're already at the stage of conspiracy theorizing where any evidence that comes out that it was a suicide will just be dismissed as fake anyway by people who want to believe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Believing federal prisons are horrible places and believing Epstein was murdered are not mutually exclusive, in fact the two beliefs kinda reinforce each other

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Believing federal prisons are horrible places and believing Epstein was murdered are not mutually exclusive, in fact the two beliefs kinda reinforce each other

Not when there's even more evidence saying otherwise. Somehow there's a bunch of evidence that it wasn't murder and his death is really easy to explain, while the conspiracy is just saying "No it's not."

Also there's a strong possibility (raised in the Guardian article on the FBI raid) that Epstein's death would make it easier to investigate the trafficking because he's no longer alive to contest any seizures.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Not when there's even more evidence saying otherwise. Somehow there's a bunch of evidence that it wasn't murder and his death is really easy to explain, while the conspiracy is just saying "No it's not."

What’s the evidence that it wasn’t murder

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chitoryu12 posted:

1. We had an entire year of reporting on the exact problems that are being named here, with nobody doing anything to solve them. Unless you're suggesting the conspiracy created these circumstances with the Trump administration cutting funding and leaving federal prisons understaffed years in advance of Epstein going to prison just to make sure they had this cover.

2. His murder wouldn't eliminate any of the far more valuable physical evidence, as we see with the FBI raiding his island despite his death, or any of the victims and staff who could give witness testimony. There's plenty more to investigate, as numerous people (like Ghislaine Maxwell) were involved in his sex trafficking ring and are still vulnerable to prosecution, and any evidence that it was murder would only intensify the investigation.

3. He had no real reason to flip on anyone in court, as he was facing the rest of his life in prison even if he made a plea deal because of his age, the magnitude of his crimes, and losing Acosta's protection with him out of the government. The best anyone could come up with was spite.

4. He was a known lunatic who commissioned a whole drat mural of himself in prison in his mansion as a reminder of how he could go to prison. That's a dude with a loving complex.

There's a lot of reasons to think it wasn't an assassination if you just stop and look at poo poo instead of jumping to the first conclusion that makes you feel validated. But it's pointless, since we're already at the stage of conspiracy theorizing where any evidence that comes out that it was a suicide will just be dismissed as fake anyway by people who want to believe.

Counterpoint: two US presidents are implicated, one of which is currently in office.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jeffrey Epstein wanted to use a woman farm to seed humanity with his genetics genghis khan style and its a known fact that he wanted his head and dick put in cold storage after death so he could be revived in the future as a cyborg rape machine, suicide is literally so far outside of his psychological profile that you have to be actively putting your fingers in your ears to insist that there's no chance he was murdered

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Real quick, 'cause I gotta get ready for work.

1. Existent failures were utilized either way, so this doesn't support or deny his cause of death.

2. The evidence being seized is what was left behind. What he could disclose, or further evidence he could provide is now lost.

3. The previous sweetheart deal was made in what seems to be violation of the law. So why do you think the justice system's beyond repair but would work as promised here?

4. So... I could use this to say such a narcissist wouldn't see himself beat just yet. Doesn't prove much.

He was at the center of a billionaire sex island conspiracy, so conspiracy is already on the table. It happened. Assassination would just be a continuation of what has already been revealed to be a conspiracy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In addition to all the problems with understaffed and corrupt federal prisons making it easier for inmates to kill themselves, they also make it easier for inmates to get murdered. There was a very high profile one last year as you may recall.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What’s the evidence that it wasn’t murder

My entire point-by-point post explaining it? The FBI raiding his island and legal experts saying that his death would make evidence seizure and investigation even easier now, so a murder conspiracy would have been a really loving dumb move?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Jeffrey Epstein wanted to use a woman farm to seed humanity with his genetics genghis khan style and its a known fact that he wanted his head and dick put in cold storage after death so he could be revived in the future as a cyborg rape machine, suicide is literally so far outside of his psychological profile that you have to be actively putting your fingers in your ears to insist that there's no chance he was murdered

Yeah and it's really hard to loving turn yourself into a cryogenic cyborg when you're facing life in prison.

Schrodinger's Epstein: Somehow completely crazy and irrational, but would never be so crazy and irrational that he would kill himself rather than go to prison forever. It goes along with Schrodinger's Government which is incompetent and worthless until it suddenly has to be perfectly competent and any lapses are evidence of a conspiracy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think anyone is accusing this blatant murder of being "competent".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

My entire point-by-point post explaining it? The FBI raiding his island and legal experts saying that his death would make evidence seizure and investigation even easier now, so a murder conspiracy would have been a really loving dumb move?

Yeah who ever heard of assassinating a key witness

I’ll say this: I won’t entirely rule out suicide, but I think we’re talking one of those Tom Hagen talking to Frankie Pentangelli kinda suicides

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you don't think there was foul play, you are incredibly loving dumb.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Personally I admire chits optimism that countless aristocrats across the planet including two presidents are going to be held more accountable for engaging in a thirty year spanning paedophile ring with complicity from the CIA because the guy the current labour secretary let off for it fifteen years ago is dead

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It can be foul play even if it actually was a suicide. If they wanted him dead and he was suicidal then arranging for everyone to "look away" while he did it (and probably encouraging him to do it with pressure from within the prison and/or from outside) is still negligent and intentional without needing to have someone infiltrate a prison or get their hands directly dirty.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1161312247194542080?s=21
:crossarms:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Misconfigured webserver, I bet

E: oh it's just a first responder leak

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 13, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren::siren::siren:

Hey friends.

This circular Epstein chat has kinda moved beyond the major intent of this thread, which is around Hollywood and the film industry's issues with misconduct specifically.

Please move that conversation to this CSPAM thread or this D&D thread

Please refrain from continuing the Epstein chat in here.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 13, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's get back to thread favorite Louis C.K. to get something on topic. This interview from the L.A. Times of Hannah Gadsby in June is somehow getting a little more attention two months later, since she is up for two Emmys:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-st-hannah-gadsby-nanette-20190610-story.html#nws=true

quote:

You establish the comic tone early in “Douglas,” saying you quit comedy the same way Louis C.K. said he was sorry.
He is a joke now. And I think it’s important to keep making that joke. This is dangerous to talk about, but I’ll give it a go. What the issue is, for a long time Louis C.K.’s comedy platform was that he was this hopeless guy bumbling through the world. And at some stage, he was no longer that, but that was still his voice. And I think he still believes that. He has not reassessed his position of power, and that is why he was able to abuse it. It’s difficult to see a shift in your own power and privilege. It’s not something we’re trained to do. He still honestly thinks he’s the victim in all of this.

That comes through clearly when he’s performing. There’s a real anger there now in his delivery.
He’s saying the same kinds of things. The material hasn’t changed. He’s just angry and bitter. I always struggled with his work because I’m a visual thinker. And there’s just so much semen. So I literally couldn’t see the humor in this waterfall of body fluids. That’s my issue. I never blamed him for that.

But then I think, “Gosh. That’s on his mind a lot too.” The guy clearly had an issue. And that’s sad for him. So why are we trusting a man who has a compulsion like that where it diminishes the humanity of people around him? Why do we care what he thinks about the human condition? He needs to worry about his own condition a bit. Just sit quietly.

I’m guessing he believes he has done just that, though there’s evidence to the contrary.
If you’re used to controlling a narrative and then you’re witnessing it go to a different place, you will not let go. He’s a trapped man. He’s doing his comedy from a position of defensiveness.

I could never advocate censorship. Censorship is useless because it leaves a gap where we learned a lesson. Let’s say Picasso. I’m not a fan. But I am a fan. I’m not a fan of the gap that was left in his story, that he was a toxic, hostile individual and that his behavior was enabled by the community around him. But if you were to wipe him from our collective memory, we not only lose what he did well, we lose what he did badly. And we can learn from both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

:siren::siren::siren:

Hey friends.

This circular Epstein chat has kinda moved beyond the major intent of this thread, which is around Hollywood and the film industry's issues with misconduct specifically.

Please move that conversation to this CSPAM thread or this D&D thread

Please refrain from continuing the Epstein chat in here.

Just out of curiosity what’s the difference between CSPAM and D&D? Is it just tone and attitude?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Steve Yun posted:

Just out of curiosity what’s the difference between CSPAM and D&D? Is it just tone and attitude?

CSPAM is good leftist thought, while D&D is centrism and war crimes apologia.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

D&D is leftist, and C-SPAM is very leftist and there are almost no posting rules.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
D&D is where you go to verrit stuff

CSPAM is where you go to post kamen rider gifs as prax-is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1161224588535091200

well that came out of nowhere

but did it really?