Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I recently got access to an electric smoker & I've been thinking of smoking some fish. Salmon is the common one, but what are some other fishies I can smoke up?

Mackerel also smokes really well. I haven't done it myself but I've eaten it before and it's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DiggityDoink posted:

Mackerel also smokes really well. I haven't done it myself but I've eaten it before and it's delicious.

This and also all the other fish. :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Halibut is a classic too. I've had smoked swordfish before and it was pretty good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for the replies, goons. I've been thinking about mackerel, but never thought about halibut or swordfish. When I look for smoked fish recipes, they almost all go to salmon first. That's not a bad thing per se (I live in the Pacific Northwest so smoked salmon is a common thing) but I was wondering what other fishes were known for being smoked/is available for me to try this out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Smoked Whitefish is an old favorite of mine

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Thanks for the replies, goons. I've been thinking about mackerel, but never thought about halibut or swordfish. When I look for smoked fish recipes, they almost all go to salmon first. That's not a bad thing per se (I live in the Pacific Northwest so smoked salmon is a common thing) but I was wondering what other fishes were known for being smoked/is available for me to try this out.

Trout

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I smoked some Haddock last week for making kedgeree and it was very good. I have Meathead's book and he says fish oil gets everywhere so you should clean your smoker after doing fish, to the point where if you doba lot of fish you might want to consider getting a second unit. Not sure if that's overstating it but he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Swordfish topped with mango salsa is divine

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

I recently got access to an electric smoker & I've been thinking of smoking some fish. Salmon is the common one, but what are some other fishies I can smoke up?

All of the fish.

Trout. Mackeral. Tuna. Whatever you can buy, smoke it. Even smoked catfish tastes good. Smoked tuna makes fantastic tuna salad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ok, for y'all that smoked fish before, how do you know when it's "done"? I used a meat thermometer for the pork & beef I've done; what target temp am I shooting for with fish?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
165 F, but you will probably just know it's done by the look of it if it's thin like trout.

Also, brine that poo poo for an hour before smoking. http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/brine/

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Tiny fish are also great when smoked. All the fish are, really.

naem
May 29, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Anyone who has a Fresh Market nearby, you might want to check their tinned seafood section. Today mine had a sign for all tinned seafood 25% off. Not sure if that's for all locations, or how long it will last.

Fresh Market is pretty upscale and expensive, similar to Whole Foods. They usually only have one KO variety (heavily marked up), and they never carry lower-end brands like Beach Cliff, Bumblebee, or Brunswick. In fact, most of their tinned seafood is already $5 or more, representing fancier imported brands and upscale U.S. brands like Bar Harbor. I just picked up one can today, Matiz sardinillas in EVOO with sweet piquillo peppers, marked down from $3 to $2.25.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 17, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Simple food for a simple, anthropomorphic penis man.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Mr. Dick posted:

I could tear that up right now. An extended family visit has resulted in a nigh unbearable loss of peace and privacy, nearly equal to the loss of being able to just throw some sardines down on whatever and wander off to eat it alone, whenever I want.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Dick posted:

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the best thing about dines on a salad is they come packed in their own dressing

drizzle dat oil and it's perfect

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's gonna be like two weeks before I can get more fish. This is worse than waiting for Christmas as a child. :negative:

Also I just started a new contract and desperately want to add delicious mackerel to my diet of foods designed to inflict deathfarts upon my fellow radworkers.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 23, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i ate two tins of sardines last night on top of a bag of ice berg salad and a bunch of zesty italian dressings

naem
May 29, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

i ate two tins of sardines last night on top of a bag of ice berg salad and a bunch of zesty italian dressings

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
For lunch I eat Mediterranean KOs on some Garden Salad bought at Aldis with some salt and pepper and it's like 300 calories and just the best.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Agitpilch

Tiny Fishes Against Authoritarianism

'Dine is a comrade

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Anyone tried these yet? I do like a nice chunk of salmon once in a while...

I know the polar kips are good, so I figured it was worth adding to the fishlocker at work for some rainy day. Kinda pricey though, about four bucks a tin. Here’s hoping!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nice office supplies drawer

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I was eating my dines outside forever at work, then the one chick who complained about it left and now I get to dine down in glorious A/C.

Going to start eating dines while interviewing new employees. This is a work perk I need.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Look Sir Droids posted:

165 F, but you will probably just know it's done by the look of it if it's thin like trout.

Also, brine that poo poo for an hour before smoking. http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/brine/

I will brine salmon for cold smoking, but any fish that gets hot smoked gets dry salted (the cure can of course have whatever else you want in it too). After about an hour when the salt is absorbed it goes into the smoker. Try it and you'll never go back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ah that's good to know as I have a hot smoker.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lathespin.gif posted:

I know the polar kips are good, so I figured it was worth adding to the fishlocker at work for some rainy day. Kinda pricey though, about four bucks a tin. Here’s hoping!

you must have glorious heart snakes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

naem posted:

you must have glorious heart snakes

Isn't that mostly a concern if you eat freshwater sushi?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

raton posted:

Why should I eat the fishy oils, a human being essay by Sheep Goats

Ok, you are a goon now. At 35 you are old enough that bad eating habits have made the artery hard. The artery is supposed to be soft. This is because the artery that goes around your heart needs to bend. If it doesn't bend it will crack on the inside. Your body will think this is a cut and a clot will form. If the crack is big enough you will get a clot that closes the artery and then all of the heart tissue that lives on that artery's blood will die. It will get replaced by scar tissue which doesn't work. You will either die or no longer be able to walk up stairs without stopping on the landings because your new piece of poo poo heart can't handle it. That is called a heart attack.

What is a good way to fight this? First you can see your doctor and he will give you a tiny cheap pill to take that will control your cholesterol pretty well that is a miracle. Second you can take one 81mg aspirin every day. Third you can exercise. Forth you can consume large quantities of unsaturated fats relative to your other fats.

Your body uses these fats for a lot of things but one thing is making arteries. A fat is a chemical that looks like three snakes biting each others in the heads. The long tail part can be saturated or unsaturated. If it is saturated that means the snake has all of its ribs. This means that it can't suck its own cock because the ribs make it inflexible. If it is unsaturated it has a rib removed so it can suck its own cock. Unsaturated snakes are very flexible.

When it is cold inflexible snakes get even worse. In fact some fats are so saturated that at cool temperatures they are solid, like butter. Other fats stay liquid even when they are very cold because they are so unsaturated, they have had the perfect rib removed so they can most easily suck their own cocks. Fishes live in the cold cold sea but need to have flexible cell walls and arteries for swimming and for complex thought. Therefore their bodies make unsaturated fats. This means we can eat cold water oily fish in volumes that outpace warm furry land animals a lot and it helps us not develop arteriosclerosis and die from a myocardial infarction because our lazy dumb bodies will use these now easily available flexible fats to build cells.

Oh by the way if you over eat your body will crank out a ton of fat. Because it is dumb it will mostly make saturated fat (it stores energy better). If you want health benefits from omega 3 oils you cannot overeat. BTW in this analogy a snake = a fatty acid and when they bite each other's heads they make a fat so don't get confused about acid vs fatty acid vs fat you dumb poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Isn't that mostly a concern if you eat freshwater sushi?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if a parasitic worm can survive the canning process it deserves to devour me from the inside

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that guys gonna die painfully gl

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lathespin.gif posted:

I'm the Hot Titus

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
You mean I'm not the only one with a file cabinet drawer full of meticulously organized canned fish? I'm so happy~ :coolfish:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

are sardines still available?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

are sardines still available?

nah, they've been cancelled

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DiggityDoink posted:

nah, they've been cancelled

F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In other news tons of other delicious seafood remain available in wonderfully convenient tins

(No seriously if you're a sardine guy or even not a sardine guy you should try all kinds of amazing ocean meats in cans.)

I mean poo poo I still don't like sardines but I go absolutely nuts for some good canned mackerel.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 31, 2019