Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It extremely sucks that Glimmer is stuck with World's Worst Mom now.

I kinda hold out hope that since Angella got herself stuck in the ~space between spaces~ that Micah got dislodged and is ~somewhere~ in Etheria now. Being expelled from a void in space-time, you often don't get a choice as to where you end up - just be happy if it's not in solid rock or a lethal height above ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ItWasMoida posted:

So how do people of feel at the end of S3 with Adora giving Catra the "Samurai Jack," eyes?

Absolutely fantastic. Catra finally realized the only reason she wasn't ground into feline paste a long time ago was because Adora still cared for her. That's gone, and she's in deep poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that was some classic anime rear end protagonist 'dude did you not realize I've been holding back this whole time?' energy.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Does anyone have the She-ra theme stuck in their head on a loop?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gaunab posted:

Does anyone have the She-ra theme stuck in their head on a loop?

Yes.

From my headphones.

The single is on Apple Music.

(It’s part of my cardio playlist now)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

ItWasMoida posted:

So how do people of feel at the end of S3 with Adora giving Catra the "Samurai Jack," eyes?

That was the highlight of the whole season for me. Just the look on Catra's face told me this was the first genuine time she was afraid of She-Ra .

previous season but context: second time, the first was when infected she-ra was going to waste her without a second thought

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

ItWasMoida posted:

That was the highlight of the whole season for me. Just the look on Catra's face told me this was the first genuine time she was afraid of She-Ra .

for me it was a coda to s1e11 when catra (or maybe Light Hope loving with adora) threw the sword into the abyss before adora had to "let go"

amidst a re-watch rn but like swift wind getting to talk how catra got out of the sanctum is one of the bigger question marks of the show to date imo

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is very impressive!

https://twitter.com/nonbinate/status/1160735602897235969

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yes.

From my headphones.

The single is on Apple Music.

(It’s part of my cardio playlist now)

Holy poo poo this is a bop

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHVPS4DETH posted:

for me it was a coda to s1e11 when catra (or maybe Light Hope loving with adora) threw the sword into the abyss before adora had to "let go"

amidst a re-watch rn but like swift wind getting to talk how catra got out of the sanctum is one of the bigger question marks of the show to date imo

I'm kind of mad Swifty didn't get any lines this half-season.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

previous season but context: second time, the first was when infected she-ra was going to waste her without a second thought

I thought that moment went by too fast for it to sink in to Catra. Especially since She-Ra started attacking Glimmer and Bow instead, so Catra went back to trying to control She-Ra rather than immediately destroying the red virus.

Though if you view S2 and S3 as just one season, then it makes more sense. It's all a build-up for the moment at the end of S3 so we all feel catharsis from She-Ra being completely done with Catra.

Labes for days posted:

Rae Geiger posted this so it’s basically canon ok

Amazing! :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This is interesting.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is interesting.

It is, I love how they put it in there.

Also I’m shipper garbage so I’m continually amused by the people on tumblr who are opposed to the idea of Entrapta being in a romantic relationship with Hordak and instead want it to be a father/daughter type of thing. Which it is canonically not.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
GOOD TO GO HOUSE FUN BOY YES

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is interesting.

Well, now we need a scene where Hordak corrects Bow's Dad's tattoo.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Labes for days posted:

It is, I love how they put it in there.

Also I’m shipper garbage so I’m continually amused by the people on tumblr who are opposed to the idea of Entrapta being in a romantic relationship with Hordak and instead want it to be a father/daughter type of thing. Which it is canonically not.

Hey same, it's weird that all the things that allegedly make him an awful partner are apparently ideal qualities in a father.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I am also shipper garbage and loved the Beauty and the Beast movie growing up, so I got all excited when Entrapta tended to grouchy Hordak and they opened up to each other. But I lost investment in the relationship when Hordak yelled abuse at her and she just shrank away. That's not a good dynamic for either a romance or a father/daughter relationship. At least Belle stopped taking the Beast's poo poo after she'd had a good cry. Unless and until Entrapta stands up for herself, I'm putting the Entrapta/Hordak ship in dock.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/PixelDan/status/1163190867399593984

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
drat. I was really hoping for a spinoff from She-Ra. :(

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

A big part of their dynamic is that he is traumatized by his own upbringing and not a healthy person, but Entrapta isn’t afraid of him when he lashes out so he begins feeling safe enough to let his guard down with her. To the point where he was unhappy that the key to completing his life’s work got found. He was on an upward trajectory to grow out of his trauma and develop compassion when Catra reminded him that oh hey, he’s a flawed piece of poo poo who doesn’t deserve love and the only person who ever made him feel safe just abandoned him.

Entrapta frequently calls Hordak out on his poo poo, she just didn’t have reason to at that point because he walked out of the room and they haven’t seen each other since. And he has helped her grow as a person because caring for his broken, cranky rear end has helped her develop compassion for something other than machines.

I guess I see a lot of myself in Hordak and a lot of my husband in Entrapta. We’re not entirely healthy people, but our relationship is built on mutual respect and shared interests. There have been plenty of times where I’ve lashed out at him and he has stayed with me even after telling me that’s not okay. We make each other happier, even though we’re far from perfect.

No I am not happy that I typed all these words about a cartoon but I’m going to post anyway because I feel strongly about it. :dealwithit:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I am also shipper garbage and loved the Beauty and the Beast movie growing up, so I got all excited when Entrapta tended to grouchy Hordak and they opened up to each other. But I lost investment in the relationship when Hordak yelled abuse at her and she just shrank away. That's not a good dynamic for either a romance or a father/daughter relationship. At least Belle stopped taking the Beast's poo poo after she'd had a good cry. Unless and until Entrapta stands up for herself, I'm putting the Entrapta/Hordak ship in dock.

This is a weird comment to me because I don't think Entrapta's ever been afraid of Hordak. I mean, last season when she snuck into his lab and he screamed at her to get out, she basically told him 'nah, I'm busy fixing your poo poo, you get out,' and that was before they were friends. I don't remember Entrapta shrinking away from Hordak yelling this season but I feel like if she did, it was less out of genuine fear and more her having a rare moment where she was actually able to read the tone of the room and figured Hordak needed some alone time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about that. I'm a fan of Smith, especially his YouTube series "Fatman Beyond" with Marc Bernadin, since he's a charismatic host and good oral storyteller, but even he shits a lot on his own foibles as a creator and tendency to go for low hanging fruit in terms of character beats and jokes; and I'm not really sure I'd actually enjoy his take on the characters. It's fun that after months of him and Marc joking about how they were the only people not getting a new show from the streaming wars between Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc. and the big money they're throwing at creators in order to get subscriptions, they actually had one lined up and just weren't able to tell people about it yet, at the very least.

He has said that he's a big fan of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe in general though, and he talked about some interview he was going to do with people related to the franchise in the next few days on the last episode that went up last week; but then again, fans don't often make the best creators. I do think he's likely to keep Skeletor as a petty rear end in a top hat however, which seems to be what most people want out of that character.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

SHVPS4DETH posted:

seek therapy

like seriously this is yr reaction to an animated kids show

it's ok to have problems but not dealing with them is going to do even more damage to you long-term

Is it possible not to get so deeply, personally offensive when criticizing someone’s bad takes on a TV show? Not all dumb posts are signs of mental illness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Is it possible not to get so deeply, personally offensive when criticizing someone’s bad takes on a TV show? Not all dumb posts are signs of mental illness.

I feel like reacting to a literal cartoon supervillain whose power is child abuse with 'I don't get why people think she's evil, seems like a regular mother to me' is a bit more revealing than your average bad take.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Saucy_Rodent posted:

HorseLord posted:

I can't really see Shadow Weaver as having any villainy at all, she just takes what side will have her.

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior. Part of being an adult is deciding which way you pretend it didn't happen to you.

That's really Catra's problem. You either repress the memory and keep going around for sunday dinner, or you cut off contact, but here Eternia's top furry is going around destroying the world and poo poo.

Repressing childhood abuse and pretending like everything is alright to a narcissistic parent who hurts everyone they can is not "adult behavior" is allowing the cycle of abuse to perpetuate.

Family is family, but when people insist "blood is thicker then water" and try to excuse away decades of emotional and physical abuse they become the problem.

You can argue about who likes who in a cartoon show and is that character really dead, but if you start saying representations of abuse and manipulation are just the way adults are then holy poo poo see a therapist.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 19, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/EugeneMirman/status/1163260937866022912?s=20

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hey, it worked for the guy who'll be playing Shang Chi, so you never know.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This means we'll probably see Skeletor as Hordaks bitchy Ex or openly gay Prince Adam.

Orko is just going sit around smoking pot in this.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'll accept any new entry in the View Askew Extended Universe.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whaaaaat...?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sadly when they mean continuation I doubt they mean the MOTU series in the early 00's that was really good and killed by CN for... some reason, probably.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly when they mean continuation I doubt they mean the MOTU series in the early 00's that was really good and killed by CN for... some reason, probably.

Yeah a continuation is weird because it's such a 2000s thing. That's when everyone was doing direct continuations of 80s cartoons. This decade we do reboots

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Nobody cares about He-Man outside of the 80s show. Why they would choose to work on the 2000s one is perplexing.

Also I don't think Catra wants to be redeemed. She'd convinced to make everyone as miserable as she is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

Nobody cares about He-Man outside of the 80s show. Why they would choose to work on the 2000s one is perplexing.

Also I don't think Catra wants to be redeemed. She'd convinced to make everyone as miserable as she is.

The 2000s one was cool.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

The 2000s one was cool.

I agree but its cultural significance is nothing compared to the 80s He-Man

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stenis posted:

I agree but its cultural significance is nothing compared to the 80s He-Man

Plus I don't think it has a NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HE MAN! Skeletor, which is literally the only reason to watch it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

Plus I don't think it has a NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HE MAN! Skeletor, which is literally the only reason to watch it.

Honestly the voice is pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii6WcU-mjL8&t=730s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It sounds like he went to rehab and is off the coke.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

Good for him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

twistedmentat posted:

Hmm, now I want to see what Jason Mewes does with the role of Orko.