Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The other issue is that the major cultural regions of the US don't line up very well with state borders. Eastern Texas is part of the South, for instance, but the rest of the state is definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Texas is the most southern state there is.

The (white, male) people of Texas liked slavery so much they seceded from two countries to keep it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ultrafilter posted:

The other issue is that the major cultural regions of the US don't line up very well with state borders. Eastern Texas is part of the South, for instance, but the rest of the state is definitely not.

Northern Florida is Southern, but (to quote Tim Wilson) once you get south of Gainesville you’re back in Michigan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Omaha, Nebraska lies on the western border of the Midwest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Have you ever been in the countryside east of Denver?? It's basically West Kansas.

I have to ask you about the Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together.

I don't actually have a problem with nineties sitcoms where they do that sort of thing, I'm just curious

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Phlegmish posted:

I have to ask you about the Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together.

It's actually a mixture of soy sauce, sugar and rice wine

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I live in Baltimore. The West starts at Cumberland.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't actually have a problem with nineties sitcoms where they do that sort of thing, I'm just curious

I have no idea, the thing was bought for me and will probably remain a mystery forever. :confused:

I think the Midwestern line runs through Ohio. I think Toledo is the Midwest and not Cleveland.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have no idea, the thing was bought for me and will probably remain a mystery forever. :confused:

I think the Midwestern line runs through Ohio. I think Toledo is the Midwest and not Cleveland.

Cleveland is northeastern, Columbus is midwestern, and Cincinatti is southern.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ohio: the most cursed state

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

I grew up mostly in OKC and the state as a whole has a sort of ongoing identity crisis; it's not really the south, or the midwest, or even the southwest, while culturally combining the worst aspects of all three.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I lived in Louisville, KY from 1998 to 2002. It was so loving midwestern it wasn’t even funny. Have plate tectonics somehow changed this situation in the last 15 years or am I not understanding the word contestedly? The latter is actually more likely since, apparently, contestedly isn’t even a word.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Cool graphs
https://twitter.com/Jill_hubley/status/1157047729668812801

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Nashville is surprisingly midwestern for its relative proximity to the south, but it's about right on that chart.

Nobody in Nashville is from Nashville... a lot of people move here because its a bigger city than most of the ones back home, but it isn't threatening because it doesn't have its poo poo together enough to do something like "public transport" or "decent recycling program" so it still maintains that small-city charm. Source: I'm painfully midwestern and all my midwestern friends who visit like this place. But Home of Andrew "The People's Racist" Jackson, proximity to whiskey country, and the prevalence of waffle house make it still firmly southern.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1159234328754368512

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Now graph spending power against cost of living!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Now graph spending power against cost of living!

I know you're thinking of America when you say that, but it's not like that everywhere.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Those "worries" sure didn't last long, did they

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

This graph is actually pretty funny to look at because one of the things that helped the Nazi party rise to power in the early years is how they managed to steady the economy after all the post-WW1 instability, and then pissed it all away in WW2 and have the country end up right back where it was before they gained power. It's almost like fascism is unsustainable and can only show "growth" by destructive, short term strategies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
The Nazis never steadied the economy.

They inherited an economy that had already been stabilised.

Then they kicked off massive rearmament that would have bankrupted the nation, except that they also seized railcars full of assets from internal and external enemies.

There was also the odd “gently caress you” to Aryan families, like when they took bunch of money for the Volkswagen and never delivered.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sorry Hans Rosling and also Wholesome Memes guy but this is the only graph that matters anymore when thinking about the world getting better or worse

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/veorq/status/1159559785068429312

Click through for some of the most interesting presentation slides in the known universe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That guy's paper makes for some interesting reading.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
https://twitter.com/veorq/status/1159562326825041920?s=21

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

"Quasi-prime" means "not divisible by 2, 3, or 5" I guess? This must be those advanced maths.

edit: awwwww poo poo just noticed "musical notes (432 Hz)," get some old school Lyndon LaRouche Verdi tuning poo poo in here, this is my jam

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Aug 15, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like those math conferences often get booked by people who aren't experts on the subject matter and so they don't really understand anything that's being discussed and so it's really easy to end up with people presenting absolute nonsense so long as they seem confident enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ah, I do love bad math nuttery :allears:.

There is a concept of a quasi-prime, but it's not the one given in the talk. It's basically means "we think this number is prime, but if it isn't, it's smallest factor is stupidly big and it's not worth the computing power to figure it out".

There is also the much more rigorously defined semi-prime, which is a number which is the product of two prime numbers. For example, there are 1,679 pixels in the Arecibo message, which is nice because it gives only two ways to orient the message (23 × 73, or 73 × 23). These are actually used in some forms of public key encryption.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Sorry Hans Rosling and also Wholesome Memes guy but this is the only graph that matters anymore when thinking about the world getting better or worse

Did you see the name of the poster you quoted?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phy posted:

:discourse:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Phy posted:

Yes, the combination was too good to pass up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Wait, why didn't it change between 1945-1947, except for some small bits?

If the market was entirely closed it wouldn't change at all, so something funky must've been going on.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like those math conferences often get booked by people who aren't experts on the subject matter and so they don't really understand anything that's being discussed and so it's really easy to end up with people presenting absolute nonsense so long as they seem confident enough.

There are some conferences that exercise very rigid quality control over the talks and posters presented at them, and some that basically let just anyone who wants to present. The big American conference for evolutionary biologists hardly turns anyone away, although they do push some talks to posters if things get too crowded. As a result, every once in a while we get an absolute loving nut case. My impression is that they are generally seen to be so entertaining that nobody's even particularly mad about them getting in. What I'm saying is y'all need to submit some talks to Evolution next year.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Cheshire Cat posted:

i think it was a sponsored talk which didnt have any peer review unlike normal talks

lol capitalism

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Trig Discipline posted:

There are some conferences that exercise very rigid quality control over the talks and posters presented at them, and some that basically let just anyone who wants to present. The big American conference for evolutionary biologists hardly turns anyone away, although they do push some talks to posters if things get too crowded. As a result, every once in a while we get an absolute loving nut case. My impression is that they are generally seen to be so entertaining that nobody's even particularly mad about them getting in. What I'm saying is y'all need to submit some talks to Evolution next year.

Do you have any good stories? How often do you get cryptozoology people? Have you ever had one of the 'birds aren't dinosaurs' guys get into a fight with a 'birds are dinosaurs' guy

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I've been to many and run one marine mammal conference. Luckily all the papers and posters were reasonable, but we did sometimes get some of the "dolphins are spiritual creatures here to guide us" crowd attending. I doubt they like the presentations on infanticide frequency, dumb-rear end adolescents getting tangled in crab lines or run over by boats, or any of the other examples of "Mmmmaybe they aren't smarter than us"

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is true in physics as well. I was a sorter for an APS conference one year and I quickly learned to identify red flags in abstracts submitted. For instance, any mention of quantum mechanics is a red flag. “Huh, what?” I hear you say, “quantum mechanics is perfectly scientific, you dingus.” Oh, absolutely, and we had a good crop of theoretical papers. But QM papers do not generally mention they’re QM. They don’t need to, when the subject matter is one specific aspect of one specific type of QM calculations. A legitimate QM abstract will not mention Shrödinger’s equation any more than, say, a legitimate article about baseball minutia written by baseball experts for baseball experts would mention that the game is played with bats.

Anyway, the point I’m trying to address is why those bogus abstracts yielded their writers talks, and I want to make clear that it’s not because we didn’t know they were garbage. The APS rules state that any member of the society is allowed to present a communication at an APS conference they participate in. In other words, sorters don’t have the authority to turn down garbage talks, only to assign them to the “proper” session. Sessions are organized by theme and, because of time constraints, must contain a certain number of talks, in our case between 12 and 15, so we could accommodate all talks within the time slots and rooms we had.

We were faced with the already difficult task of sorting the submissions by theme, grouping them in related bundles of the appropriate size, and assigning a title to each session. Four people taking a day of their time to read, sort, and assign hundreds of abstracts while accommodating specific requests (these two should be in the same group, those two can’t be at the same time, etc...) is a significant ordeal and, after the refreshing novelty of finding a “cuckoo science” abstract for the first time, figuring out what to do with these things is an extra burden nobody wants to deal with.

They’re bad, you know they’re bad, and anyone who takes a minute to read the abstract will know they’re bad so what do you do with them? Do you have enough of them to run an “alternate science” session? Thankfully, no. That would be bad even if you could, giving prominence to crackpot theories by giving them a platform at a legitimate scientific conference is a Bad Thing. But they don’t fit in any theme since they’re not actually scientific. And they have to be included. So we used them to pad the sessions that were missing talks, while being careful to put them at the end of the schedule, and to not assign more than one in any session, lest we get yelled at by the legitimate presenters in that session for turning it into a “cuckoo session”. It wasn’t ideal, but it was the solution we came up with.

And yes, those authors can mention those presentations in their CVs to give themselves a veneer of legitimacy. Sorry about the effortpost.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Do you have any good stories? How often do you get cryptozoology people? Have you ever had one of the 'birds aren't dinosaurs' guys get into a fight with a 'birds are dinosaurs' guy

Not so much of that, we tend to get more of the "I've got an alternative theory of evolution based on ideas that were disproven fifty years ago in a book I haven't bothered to read" sort of thing. Often it's either a religious person who is trying to reconcile evolution with their idea of intelligent design or someone from another field (almost always physics, engineering, or computer science) who thinks they've solved some massive issue with the field based on a superficial connection between some aspect of their field and ours. People are usually pretty polite about tearing their ideas up, but they do tear them up.

Don't get me wrong; the study of evolution has been pushed forward a lot by people coming over from other fields and bringing their math with them, but those are people who bothered to learn enough about the field to understand what had already been done, and who learned enough about biology to understand what made sense. There is just this neverending parade of people from those fields who think that we don't understand everything in biology because we're all idiots, rather than the fact that it's actually kind of hard and the data is super noisy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh one time a colleague did present a poster about sasquatch, but it was obviously a joke. He presented it while wearing a sasquatch costume, and a lot of it was written in first person.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh one time a colleague did present a poster about sasquatch, but it was obviously a joke. He presented it while wearing a sasquatch costume, and a lot of it was written in first person.

lol i would love to see that poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was like ten years ago, the odds of it still existing somewhere are minimal. :-/