Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
DON'T GO INTO THE LONG GRASS

https://i.imgur.com/RQ67hyk.gifv

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That long grass scene is the best part of LW

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Drint Blasters posted:

Original Jurassic Park is my favourite movie ever and is a perfect movie to me. So many great moments but I can't go past the sound, everything about the sound from the score to the noises the dinos make is fantastic.
The soft almost purring to the nose snort the raptor does at the start of the kitchen scene is wonderful.
The puppetry too, the way it scans the room with sharp little movements like a bird. I love it

https://youtu.be/TnWNyKqI3Bc

Aside from Titanic, isn't it the biggest blockbuster from the 90s? Or am I just hoping that it is?

It really is fantastic. One of Spielberg's best.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

"The one with the pompadour! Elvis!"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Elukka posted:

DON'T GO INTO THE LONG GRASS

https://i.imgur.com/RQ67hyk.gifv

god in heaven how is his gigantic, monstrous face not super-imposed over whatever the gently caress is happening here? like are you kidding me? is that a real human?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aside from Titanic, isn't it the biggest blockbuster from the 90s? Or am I just hoping that it is?

It really is fantastic. One of Spielberg's best.

Before Titanic came out it was the highest-grossing movie of all time

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

RandomFerret posted:

Before Titanic came out it was the highest-grossing movie of all time

it's pretty amazing a movie with like less than 10 minutes of dinosaurs on screen is that popular/perfect as a film

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Mordor She Wrote posted:

it's pretty amazing a movie with like less than 10 minutes of dinosaurs on screen is that popular/perfect as a film

Yeah but the iceberg made up for the relative lack of dinosaur screen time.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Big Beef City posted:

god in heaven how is his gigantic, monstrous face not super-imposed over whatever the gently caress is happening here? like are you kidding me? is that a real human?
what

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I googled it, apparently were onscreen for 14 minutes during the entire 127 minute runtime. 6 minutes were CGI.

It probably felt a lot longer because there was also a heck of a lot of footage of characters reacting to seeing or hearing dinos, which also greatly increased the sense of wonder or the tension in key scenes. The scene where they get to the island and see that Brachiosaurus for the first time is great because the actors pack in all the necessary emotions to prepare the audience for the rest of the film in a really tiny amount of time: Hammond's impatience and overwhelming pride, Grant and Sattler's wonder and awe, Malcolm's terror and amazed disbelief at Hammond's hubris, Gennaro's greed and the bored indifference of the facility staff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xr6JLnW8Y

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Didn't the first draft of Jurassic Park 3 supposedly center more heavily on that military rescue that showed up at the end, complete with random guy in a suit with a bullhorn pulling a MacArthur while marines hit the beaches behind him? I remember hearing somewhere that there was supposedly an extended battle sequence planned that was ditched in favor of a cut to credits.

Still not entirely sure how Dr. Sattler had the pull to simply order a full-on amphibious assault on a dinosaur preserve.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I thought the original plan for JP3 was dinosaur-human hybrid supersoldiers

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Grammarchist posted:

Didn't the first draft of Jurassic Park 3 supposedly center more heavily on that military rescue that showed up at the end, complete with random guy in a suit with a bullhorn pulling a MacArthur while marines hit the beaches behind him? I remember hearing somewhere that there was supposedly an extended battle sequence planned that was ditched in favor of a cut to credits.

Still not entirely sure how Dr. Sattler had the pull to simply order a full-on amphibious assault on a dinosaur preserve.

I love how completely out-of-nowhere JP3's ending is. Sorry, no more script left, movie over now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even the beginning has that weird bit where those 2 men on the boat get killed by something in like 5 seconds with no noise and explanation

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Grammarchist posted:

It was supposed to end with a marines vs dinosaurs battle but they ran out of money

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcd1685N1KA

The script was still being written while filming was going on. One of the original ideas was that a random group of teenagers would be stranded on the island after sneaking into Camp Crystal Lak- I mean Jurassic Park.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I just read the plot of the newest movie, fallen kingdom, and apparently multiple dinosaurs escape into the mainland and the ending is Dr Malcolm telling everyone to hold onto their butts because it's a Jurassic World now, baby.

That's actually pretty cool and the direction these movies deserve

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I repeated this over and over in the Season 1 thread, but West World S1 is a lot like the JP novel, with small and seemingly insignificant warning signs going ignored until it’s too late (show becomes pretty not good fast though).

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
West World is cool but i had no idea what the gently caress was going on in s2.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

West world changed their season 2 plot because some people on Reddit guessed what was going to happen

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I read the book as a kid and was super stoked about the movie.

After I watched the movie I immediately understood what adults mean when they say a book is better than the movie.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bobjr posted:

West world changed their season 2 plot because some people on Reddit guessed what was going to happen

I'lll never understand that, they made a show with an interesting plot that smart viewers could figure out, basically the highest budget arg ever. Cool email blasts secret stuff you could find in them etc.

Then when people did the thing that it seemed like they really wanted people to do they freaked out and ruined it

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
What was supposed to happen in WW s2?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I read the book as a kid and was super stoked about the movie.

After I watched the movie I immediately understood what adults mean when they say a book is better than the movie.

The movie is better than the book (both are good).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Laslow posted:

They used the opening chapter from the first book in the second movie for some reason. But I barely remember the second book or movie.

The little girl getting eaten by those little rat dinosaurs was from the first book but in the second movie? Interesting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The little girl survives, just like in the book

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Kazak posted:

I just read the plot of the newest movie, fallen kingdom, and apparently multiple dinosaurs escape into the mainland and the ending is Dr Malcolm telling everyone to hold onto their butts because it's a Jurassic World now, baby.

That's actually pretty cool and the direction these movies deserve ending of the first book (except the Malcolm part).

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna need some dinosaurs in space or i just dont give a poo poo anymore

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but better because in the book it was a breeding population and not like 20 dinos, all of different species, tops.

Fallen kingdom was so bad. At least Jurassic World had enough fun with its colossal stupidity that I enjoyed it.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

marijuanamancer posted:

im gonna need some dinosaurs in space or i just dont give a poo poo anymore

How are they going to eat people if they have to wear those bubble helmets?

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but better because in the book it was a breeding population and not like 20 dinos, all of different species, tops.

Fallen kingdom was so bad.

I agree with all of this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The worst but about fallen kingdom is that the prologue makes a big deal about the mossasaur reaching open waters, then in the main plot everyone leaves the island on a boat:

And nothing loving happens.

The drat thing disappears until a 4 second clip when the writers decided to wax philosophical at the end.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

FoolyCharged posted:

The worst but about fallen kingdom is that the prologue makes a big deal about the mossasaur reaching open waters, then in the main plot everyone leaves the island on a boat:

And nothing loving happens.

The drat thing disappears until a 4 second clip when the writers decided to wax philosophical at the end.

I've heard the original idea was the escaped Mosasaur would open the movie attacking a whaling boat, which would make a little more sense than it somehow surviving in that tank alone for 2 years.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Don't forget there's 1 more movie, they could still do that.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Kinda lame the first book ends hinting that some animals made it to the mainland but it never goes anywhere, even in the 3rd movie which cribbed pretty heavily from the unused portions of JP.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

charity rereg posted:

Kinda lame the first book ends hinting that some animals made it to the mainland but it never goes anywhere, even in the 3rd movie which cribbed pretty heavily from the unused portions of JP.

Some promotional website said that the lead Security guy from World killed the dinosaurs on the mainland, that’s how he got the job

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obsidianheart posted:

How are they going to eat people if they have to wear those bubble helmets?

Life finds a way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Extremely hung over eating terrible Chinese food watching Jurassic park.

#blessed

Also when they say they are in San Jose Costa Rica lol they are in some random city on the coast because San Jose is in the middle of the country.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Westworld was one of the best terminator films

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Did anyone play that Jp game for the snes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, it wasn't very good. The genesis one was better cause you could play as the raptors