Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Randaconda posted:

also sports-like!

Yeah I found it very realistic, for want of a better word. If it's a hot product people want to advertise on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And that's why your mother's rear end looks like a NASCAR jacket.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

:thurman:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I will pass along your kind words, friend.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

is that austin and sting?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suplex Liberace posted:

is that austin and sting?

yeah

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Long-haired Austin just doesn't seem quite right. Not as weird as the Ringmaster with the Million Dollar Belt though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

Long-haired Austin just doesn't seem quite right. Not as weird as the Ringmaster with the Million Dollar Belt though.

i think Austin was balding by the time he broke into WCW

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i really like the stun gun as a finish and someone should bring it back

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Stun Gun just didn't look like a believable finisher to me at all. Not that the Stunner or a lot of other finishers would actually be effective in a real fight, but with most of that stuff I can at least see how it's supposed to look like it hurts. The Stun Gun just doesn't look like it would do any damage. How is the rope supposed to knock someone out?

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

rujasu posted:

Stun Gun just didn't look like a believable finisher to me at all. Not that the Stunner or a lot of other finishers would actually be effective in a real fight, but with most of that stuff I can at least see how it's supposed to look like it hurts. The Stun Gun just doesn't look like it would do any damage. How is the rope supposed to knock someone out?

it is many ways a stunner but using the rope instead of the shoulder. the way he kind of staggered back also looked cool to my eye, personally

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I do think it looks kinda cool as a non-finishing move. I just have trouble buying it as a KO. Like, okay, you got body-slammed and got back up, but then you just bounced off a springy rope and you're done for? Seems kinda weak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

enzo amore was concussed into oblivion by just running into a ring rope headfirst

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In the early days at least in WCW, Stunning Steve would do like a short arm lariat after the stun gun.

Just pull the opponent up from the mat and yank him into a lariat. Then pin.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

MrBling posted:

In the early days at least in WCW, Stunning Steve would do like a short arm lariat after the stun gun.

so you are saying okada should do the stun gun? because i do not disagree

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i think stunning steve should have followed up the stun gun with a top rope double moonsault but yea on its on its a p cool like, transition move

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
it's called a Gun Stun guys

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

I do think it looks kinda cool as a non-finishing move. I just have trouble buying it as a KO. Like, okay, you got body-slammed and got back up, but then you just bounced off a springy rope and you're done for? Seems kinda weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iteqaH6S9gs

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody here at the time said "bada-boom! Darkest MRI in the room! How'm I doin'?"

And I still chuckle at that.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

My favorite part is Gotch's immediate "this loving idiot" body language when he thunks his skull against the mat

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

rujasu posted:

... he drops them so the rope connects with their neck. It’s pretty simple to see how that would incapacitate someone for at least three seconds regardless of the springiness of the rope.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And outside of Double Double E it is a steel cable not a rope.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrBling posted:

Even earlier, he'd hit the Stun Gun, then pick them up by the hair and then drive their head into the mat; kind of like a X-Factor, but dropping to his knees instead of a sit-out position.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWEArmstrong/status/1163161910625361920

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's extremely weird. Ending the Armstrong Curse was a big deal to somebody, I guess.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Imagining that French boutique tearing down a wall and finding that masterpiece mural behind it except it’s that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Cameo posted:

... he drops them so the rope connects with their neck. It’s pretty simple to see how that would incapacitate someone for at least three seconds regardless of the springiness of the rope.
I mean, it's not a credible finisher because people are used to seeing it as a mid-match move, that's all.

Austin has said that it was actually pretty hard to do, because if you overshoot it the guy can go over the rope, and if you undershoot it he gets a rope to the face.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Any move can be a credible finisher, though. All it takes is winning with it enough times, maybe doing it with a little more flair than most guys, give it a cool name, and then suddenly it's established as a killer move.

Like, I forget who - it might have been Jake Roberts - but a guy was asked in a backstage interview once, "hey, what separates you doing this move that's commonly used by other guys, why is this move your finisher when for most guys it's just a regular move?" and he just gave the answer "when I do it, they stay down."

It's that simple. Big Show got a punch over. Edge did a running hug and people bought it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Like, I forget who - it might have been Jake Roberts - but a guy was asked in a backstage interview once, "hey, what separates you doing this move that's commonly used by other guys, why is this move your finisher when for most guys it's just a regular move?" and he just gave the answer "when I do it, they stay down."

It was Jake about the DDT, yeah

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean just look at the Rainmaker and the dropkick from Okada. Both are super simple moves but Okada has both of them over

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Chris Masters using the full Nelson worked for me back when he debuted with that in 05 or whenever.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Masters an ryback are two guys I really thought could have gotten the torture rack over as a finisher.

Remember when triple h tried to get the sleeper over in like 2003?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Punch McLightning posted:

Chris Masters using the full Nelson worked for me back when he debuted with that in 05 or whenever.

Yeah that’s probably the prime example of a super lame finisher actually getting over because they booked it well in the modern age

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cameo posted:

Any move can be a credible finisher, though. All it takes is winning with it enough times, maybe doing it with a little more flair than most guys, give it a cool name, and then suddenly it's established as a killer move.

It's that simple. Big Show got a punch over. Edge did a running hug and people bought it.

Yeah, all you need to get drat near any move over as a finisher is beat top guys with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The American Dream posted:

Masters an ryback are two guys I really thought could have gotten the torture rack over as a finisher.

Remember when triple h tried to get the sleeper over in like 2003?

Remember when HHH tried to get the Indian Deathlock over?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Remember when HHH tried to get the Indian Deathlock over?

Wasn't that around the same time Rock was trying to do the Sharpshooter? It's like right around that time, they sent a memo to all the top guys, "the fans are getting tired of seeing the same five moves every match, please add a sixth move"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Cameo posted:

That said, Edge's running hug looked like crap. People only remember it when he did it into a cage, or to a guy coming off the top rope, etc.

It can be cool to get a transitional move over as a finisher, but the guy has to do it really well every time. Test's boot and JBL's clothesline looked great at first. But then sometimes they'd get lazy and do it flat-footed, and suddenly it was lame that this lame move is magic when a particular guy does it.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The Rockshooter owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That said, Edge's running hug looked like crap. People only remember it when he did it into a cage, or to a guy coming off the top rope, etc.

It can be cool to get a transitional move over as a finisher, but the guy has to do it really well every time. Test's boot and JBL's clothesline looked great at first. But then sometimes they'd get lazy and do it flat-footed, and suddenly it was lame that this lame move is magic when a particular guy does it.
Okada has lovely-looking variations on the Rainmaker that don’t get a pin. Okada is the best.