Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Really liked the got video despite not watching got, as it is more about ideas about power. But what's with the chilly reception on /r/breadtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Really liked the got video despite not watching got, as it is more about ideas about power. But what's with the chilly reception on /r/breadtube

imagine caring what anyone who posts on r/breadtube thinks

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I am reminded of the Sons of Anarchy thread in that the later seasons of GoT have big-poo poo setpieces with no consequences (Cersei blowing up the Vatican) compared to early seasons where minute actions have massive ramifications (Ned's execution). In Sons of Anarchy a warehouse is torched to the ground which sparks the beginning of the show, but by the final season entire massacres occur that have nothing to do with the plot and aren't mentioned again. I think throw in a school-shooting for good measure.

The only thing I remember about Sons of Anarchy is a GIF of a hilariously bad moment where the lead actor tries to lean on a shelf in the background of a scene to look all cool and poo poo but none of the shelves are the correct height so he just ends up slowly raising his arms until they’re at shoulder height and it looks so bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Charlie Hunnam could also have a hilariously difficult time keeping his native not-American-at-all accent under control.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The only gif I remember is one of the character's stupidass tough guy walk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
watching the linsay Got video. its good but jesus christ she is a danystan.

on her defending dany killing tons of people through out the series and how bran is worse.

I do think that the idea behind why Dany is dead and Bran is king is because Bran sees the humanity in everyone and Dany does not.
It's implied that Bran values all life from the deleted scene in the script and Daenerys only values the lives of people who she doesn't have anything against.
She's merciless towards anyone that would oppose her which includes people like slavers and rapists but could also include otherwise decent people like Tyrion and Dickon Tarly.
So what Benioff and Weiss are inelegantly saying are that we cheered her on because she directed her brutality against the right people but her views of who the right people aren't always going to be the right people.
She has a mode of conduct against her enemies that is brutal and she's not going to change. The show does build that up. It's just that people thought it was to make Dany look cool rather than foreshadowing and making a statement.
But I hate that they used "the first they came for" approach. It's a little insulting

other than that its overall pretty great. i just get tired of dannystans.

i actually don't hate ceries ending. its dumb but i like that all the bullshit facade just cracks and washes away and she realizes how truly hosed she is. now i would rather have had her die alone and afraid, but thats me.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 15, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

watching the linsay Got video. its good but jesus christ she is a danystan.

on her defending dany killing tons of people through out the series and how bran is worse.

I do think that the idea behind why Dany is dead and Bran is king is because Bran sees the humanity in everyone and Dany does not.
It's implied that Bran values all life from the deleted scene in the script and Daenerys only values the lives of people who she doesn't have anything against.
She's merciless towards anyone that would oppose her which includes people like slavers and rapists but could also include otherwise decent people like Tyrion and Dickon Tarly.
So what Benioff and Weiss are inelegantly saying are that we cheered her on because she directed her brutality against the right people but her views of who the right people aren't always going to be the right people.
She has a mode of conduct against her enemies that is brutal and she's not going to change. The show does build that up. It's just that people thought it was to make Dany look cool rather than foreshadowing and making a statement.
But I hate that they used "the first they came for" approach. It's a little insulting

other than that its overall pretty great. i just get tired of dannystans.

i actually don't hate ceries ending. its dumb but i like that all the bullshit facade just cracks and washes away and she realizes how truly hosed she is. now i would rather have had her die alone and afraid, but thats me.

but we never actually see her being brutal to 'otherwise decent people' except for poo poo like her killing all the nobles in slave-town regardless of if they had slaves, and brutality isn't anything new or even shocking in GoT world. Like, she kept using examples like Tyrion's wildfire plan because the point was he wasn't actually some noble guy, he was a brutal noble who was angry another brutal noble got brutal.

Also, yes, you don't get to use 'first they came for' for loving slavers

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like the main thing with Dany is that in the show, her poo poo tends to largely work out for her, whereas in the book, its a lot more obvious that Dany is a slow rolling storm of everything going horribly wrong, and the only thing keeping the wheels on the bus is that she has three dragons and no qualms with applying them to any and every problem that enters her field of vision. Like, its been years since I read them, but if I recall mereen became a plague-ridden thunderdome hellscape under her rule and once poo poo finally starts going fully sideways, her response is to say "gently caress this" and fly off with her dragons, leaving the city to implode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like the main thing with Dany is that in the show, her poo poo tends to largely work out for her, whereas in the book, its a lot more obvious that Dany is a slow rolling storm of poo poo going horribly wrong, and the only thing keeping the wheels on the bus is that she has three dragons and no qualms with applying them to any and every problem that enters her field of vision. Like, its been years since I read them, but if I recall mereen became a plague-ridden thunderdome hellscape under her rule and once poo poo finally starts going fully sideways, her response is to say "gently caress this" and fly off with her dragons and leaving the city to implode.

yea this too, in the book she actually fucks over a lot of people in her quest, so it's less 'ah how soon until she turns on YOU' and more 'how soon until she adds King's Landing to her list of cities she came into, hosed up, and then bailed on once she killed her enemies'.

In the show...

insert clip of her being literally worshiped by a sea of dark skinned people like Jesus

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Also, yes, you don't get to use 'first they came for' for loving slavers

I mean, before Star Wars, Weiss and Benioff wanted to ditch Game of Thrones for a show where the premise was “what if the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery was still a thing in the 21st century.”

Of course they’d devil’s advocate an entire society of slave owners being brutally thrown down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like the main thing with Dany is that in the show, her poo poo tends to largely work out for her, whereas in the book, its a lot more obvious that Dany is a slow rolling storm of everything going horribly wrong, and the only thing keeping the wheels on the bus is that she has three dragons and no qualms with applying them to any and every problem that enters her field of vision. Like, its been years since I read them, but if I recall mereen became a plague-ridden thunderdome hellscape under her rule and once poo poo finally starts going fully sideways, her response is to say "gently caress this" and fly off with her dragons, leaving the city to implode.

thats always been my issue. in the show everything she does, terrible or justifiable otherwise is show in a heroic light and even when she contiounsly fucks up, poo poo just works out, over and over again. now suddnely when the show doesn't show her as a monster, its bad. like i think the show does it badly. but idk. season 7 and 8 are poo poo. can't wait for witcher.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea this too, in the book she actually fucks over a lot of people in her quest, so it's less 'ah how soon until she turns on YOU' and more 'how soon until she adds King's Landing to her list of cities she came into, hosed up, and then bailed on once she killed her enemies'.

In the show...

insert clip of her being literally worshiped by a sea of dark skinned people like Jesus

they sorta try to do it in some of the seasons in the shows but they never really do it well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

finished it. i mostly agree with her. espcially the ending. she is right how you can't really watch it because the ending just shits itself so badly and ruins stuff retroactively.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, before Star Wars, Weiss and Benioff wanted to ditch Game of Thrones for a show where the premise was “what if the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery was still a thing in the 21st century.”

Of course they’d devil’s advocate an entire society of slave owners being brutally thrown down.

Those loving hacks are like a half-step above Max Landis at best, but mostly because they're not psychopaths.

"Hey, here's a wild idea but--and just stay with me here--what if racism was real and there were white supremacists in the government?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Those loving hacks are like a half-step above Max Landis at best, but mostly because they're not psychopaths.

"Hey, here's a wild idea but--and just stay with me here--what if racism was real and there were white supremacists in the government?"

you could do "what if the civil war ended in a draw or a confederate win and the states stayed seperate" but i wouldn't trust D&D with it. it would have to be a Man in high castle(which does some stuff pretty well but i thought the new wolfenstein games did better), or maybe copying turtledove type situation. like i sorta trust them enough with star wars, because gently caress it, there is nothing really to ruin, the prequels did that and disney is already doing kinda of mixed job. but with confederacy. gently caress no.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 15, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The biggest problem with that is that unless you set it like, in the 20s or 30s you're looking at a vastly different world. poo poo would spiral out to an insane degree if the South wasn't destroyed and reintegrated before WW2.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The problem is that the show and showrunners framed her actions as "cool" and all the other popular characters do equally monstrous things at least once that are also framed as "cool" against equally despicable targets, except for Brienne I guess. Poor Brienne...

But nobody is side-eyeing Sansa like "Woah man she fed a guy to his own dogs! She's a ticking time bomb!" It's a hack job to get Dany in the position they wanted her in for the ending that's blatant enough for most viewers to perceive, so naturally a lot of people are annoyed by it. It's also emblematic of the problems in the later seasons: the logic breaks down both on an in-universe level but also a meta narrative level because it lacks the necessary foundation to work. So it's an easy point to hammer on if you're critiquing the show as a whole.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even in the context of the last season the full evil turn for Dany comes super fast where it really needed more time and focus, while most of the cast still active at that point needed to do stupid or illogical actions to justify it in her head.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grapplejack posted:

The biggest problem with that is that unless you set it like, in the 20s or 30s you're looking at a vastly different world. poo poo would spiral out to an insane degree if the South wasn't destroyed and reintegrated before WW2.

yea unless you set it in the early 1900's you have to reckon with the fact that the country is run by people with no interest in urbanization or industrialization during, say, WW1 (unless somehow the csa winning means that doesn't happen????) and whoo boy would a confederate america be in a very different place when it came to offering aid and support for the allies there.

You CAN tell an interesting story, maybe focus how with how reconstruction was so bungled in the real world a lot of day to day differences are really more 'we're more overt with our bigotry' than anything, but when it comes to looking at the political standing of America the confederate government was such a fundamentally different beast than the real american government you can't just say 'everything on the macro scale went about the same'.

It's an interesting premise, one you can say a lot with, but I don't trust these freaks to do it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, guess which two people are incapable of imagining any interesting possibilities for any story? (Hint: one of them wrote Wolverine Origins)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
imagine a season long political epic surrounding some rich gently caress named Beauregard P Winthrop trying to send slave soldiers to england to help them in WW1 but Beauregard is the good guy somehow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobjr posted:

Even in the context of the last season the full evil turn for Dany comes super fast where it really needed more time and focus, while most of the cast still active at that point needed to do stupid or illogical actions to justify it in her head.

The whole season suffered from the fact the show runners wanted nothing more to do with it but didn't want to pass things off to someone else and so we ended up with basically a Cliff's Notes version of the story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Dany sees the Red Keep and essentially her brain short circuits?

What a terrible hatchet job for Tyrion. And I don't like to think about Sansa's 'abuse made me strong' arc. Ew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like Lindsay said, Benioff and Weiss seem to think that an empowered woman in Westeros has to expunge all humanity and become a walking ice queen badass who speaks on a low monotone voice so you know she sounds threatening. It happened to Dany, it happened to Sansa, it happened to Arya.

Meanwhile Brienne is standing there like "Am I a joke to you?!" and considering how they shat on her in the end while they hosed over Jaime, she probably is a joke to them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sexpig by night posted:

yea unless you set it in the early 1900's you have to reckon with the fact that the country is run by people with no interest in urbanization or industrialization during, say, WW1 (unless somehow the csa winning means that doesn't happen????) and whoo boy would a confederate america be in a very different place when it came to offering aid and support for the allies there.

You CAN tell an interesting story, maybe focus how with how reconstruction was so bungled in the real world a lot of day to day differences are really more 'we're more overt with our bigotry' than anything, but when it comes to looking at the political standing of America the confederate government was such a fundamentally different beast than the real american government you can't just say 'everything on the macro scale went about the same'.

It's an interesting premise, one you can say a lot with, but I don't trust these freaks to do it.

They could start looking at how this fared. Not sure if it really holds up, but it does follow through how US and world history would be different, while critiquing actual history and current events.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GoT would actually be worth reading or watching if there was actually one person just going through the setting annihilating it for the better.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Civvie11 covers the newly released Ion Fury, a Build Engine shooter to the very core.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

GoT would actually be worth reading or watching if there was actually one person just going through the setting annihilating it for the better.

GoT featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The US actually being two mutually hostile countries in a century-long stalemate would be pretty wild from a geopolitical perspective, especially once you get around to the world wars. Like, what would the USA and CSA even do in World War 1? Who would they back?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Grapplejack posted:

A friend of mine once had an alternate history idea in which the Confederates won the Civil War, but the government was so unstable that the people replaced it with a communist one. I dunno if it was before or after the Russian Revolution.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a much more interesting post-civil war alternate reality would be what the country would look like if andrew johnson wasn't a gigantic piece of dogshit who pissed reconstruction down his leg

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bobjr posted:

yeah thats my issue too. like i saw that ending coming since the beginning in broad strokes but they hosed up the ending biggly.

Nuns with Guns posted:

But nobody is side-eyeing Sansa like "Woah man she fed a guy to his own dogs! She's a ticking time bomb!" It's a hack job to get Dany in the position they wanted her in for the ending that's blatant enough for most viewers to perceive, so naturally a lot of people are annoyed by it. It's also emblematic of the problems in the later seasons: the logic breaks down both on an in-universe level but also a meta narrative level because it lacks the necessary foundation to work. So it's an easy point to hammer on if you're critiquing the show as a whole.

sure but i guess i come from it from personal where my girlfriend legit loudly cheered at ramsay getting ripped apart because to put it nicely, her ex was VERY much like him and worse in some ways and he did some really awful poo poo. so while i agree they did sansa dirty bad, so i don't hate that scene.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 15, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The US actually being two mutually hostile countries in a century-long stalemate would be pretty wild from a geopolitical perspective, especially once you get around to the world wars. Like, what would the USA and CSA even do in World War 1? Who would they back?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Victory

here is a pretty good look at that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So I don't hate that scene.

Why would anyone.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

a much more interesting post-civil war alternate reality would be what the country would look like if andrew johnson wasn't a gigantic piece of dogshit who pissed reconstruction down his leg

I kinda feel like this aforementioned movie has that as a running statement by at the end pointing out several things in the mockumentary existed in reality, not to mention how closely aligned their view of America was with reality America, just slightly less overtly racist to drive home the point of how little was done post-war to root out the confederacy and the underlying racism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Why would anyone.

idk. just sayin in case anyone does.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but i guess i come from it from personal where my girlfriend legit loudly cheered at ramsay getting ripped apart because to put it nicely, her ex was VERY much like him and worse in some ways and he did some really awful poo poo. so while i agree they did sansa dirty bad, so i don't hate that scene.

Yeah but that's not really any different than Dany's cold satisfaction at her own abuser getting molten gold dumped on his head, except some people are pointing to that one as early foreshadowing of her madness.

Getting some visceral glee out of the shittiest characters getting some graphic onscreen comeuppance was half the fun of the show. (See also: all those reaction video compilations of the Purple Wedding scene.)

The show can turn around and tut-tut that enjoyment at the end, sure, but it also keeps switching hiding behind modern moral concerns and "historical accuracy" whenever it's convenient so clearly the D&D didn't really care to make a coherent point with the resolution.

...So who's excited for Star Wars? :haw:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah but that's not really any different than Dany's cold satisfaction at her own abuser getting molten gold dumped on his head, except some people are pointing to that one as early foreshadowing of her madness.

Getting some visceral glee out of the shittiest characters getting some graphic onscreen comeuppance was half the fun of the show. (See also: all those reaction video compilations of the Purple Wedding scene.)

The show can turn around and tut-tut that enjoyment at the end, sure, but it also keeps switching hiding behind modern moral concerns and "historical accuracy" whenever it's convenient so clearly the D&D didn't really care to make a coherent point with the resolution.

sure i get it. i think does a bad job at her heel turn but my opinion is the signs are there, just badly done.

also, yeah i kinda am. least for ROS.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

It does occur that D&D might give the chuds the Star Wars they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Dany killing those slavers was a big red flag, you really shouldn’t have trusted her” said the righteous and trustworthy man who strangled his mistress to death