Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

That makes a lot of sense re: batteries. I'm okay with drive only activation and no parking mode so juice via the cigarette port is fine. I was just idly speculating what it'd take to rig things up so the car battery doesn't get run down in parking mode.

Maybe I'm seriously misunderstanding how all this works. I clearly need to do more research.

I know blackvue did or still sold a device that tapped some fuses but had a normal cig socket. The intent was to plug in their model dashcams (though, any could that uses the cig port for power) and it would shut down when it detects battery power levels drop below a specific level. There are dip switches on it to set that battery level setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

That makes a lot of sense re: batteries. I'm okay with drive only activation and no parking mode so juice via the cigarette port is fine. I was just idly speculating what it'd take to rig things up so the car battery doesn't get run down in parking mode.

Maybe I'm seriously misunderstanding how all this works. I clearly need to do more research.

The Streetguardian cameras monitor the voltage and shut down if the battery gets low. Other cameras may do the same?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Why cars don't do the same has always baffled me, battery getting low? Disconnect non essential taps.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why cars don't do the same has always baffled me, battery getting low? Disconnect non essential taps.

GM does (or did) have a battery saver mode that does exactly that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sometimes it gets -40 outside and sometimes it gets +40 outside, so batteries aren't gonna cut it.

Small cameras that use a supercapacitor?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While the draw on a tiny lithium ion battery can be way too big, the draw your dashcam puts on a huge 12 volt lead acid car battery during parking mode is negligible. Unless it ran continuously (as in, constantly recording, not in standby) for weeks, or your car battery is already on the verge of death, it's just not going to be a big deal.

cakesmith handyman posted:

What's running, but nonessential, in terms of OEM equipment? Leaving your headlights or hazard lights or cabin light on while the car is off could be saving your life, if your'e stuck on the side of a road at night in a blizzard. The clock on the car radio isn't drawing enough power to matter. I guess maybe turn off the radio? But again in an emergency you may be listening to the emergency broadcast on AM radio and need it to stay on regardless. Power locks need to stay powered, again for emergency purposes. What's left?

MC Hawking posted:

I'll just add that often the cigarette lighter is situated in the center lower dash area. You can run a wire right down the middle of your windscreen, but that's not ideal; or, you can run it around the edge and down the A pillar, and then from there, going to the center console is farther than just tapping into a fuse box located in the footwell. Access to fuses in that area usually isn't difficult, there's just a pop-open door or hatch or something. And a fuse tap has the added convenience of not using up your cigarette lighter... which you might be already using for another device, or even for lighting your cigarettes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I wired mine through the top of the windshield, down the A pillar, up under the glove box, into the center console trim and out just in time to plug into the dash USB. It's not ideal, but I'm paranoid about tapping into the car's main power directly because I am not good with electricity.

In 2 years when my kid starts driving I'll probably get a backup camera/Carplay installed and hire the same person who does that to hardwire a dashcam for her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

What's running, but nonessential, in terms of OEM equipment? Leaving your headlights or hazard lights or cabin light on while the car is off could be saving your life, if your'e stuck on the side of a road at night in a blizzard. The clock on the car radio isn't drawing enough power to matter. I guess maybe turn off the radio? But again in an emergency you may be listening to the emergency broadcast on AM radio and need it to stay on regardless. Power locks need to stay powered, again for emergency purposes. What's left?

Cut off everything .

The ability to crank the engine is more important than an hour of blinking lights.

By all means put in a switch to override that in case you’re out of fuel and really need those lights, but that’s the exception.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sYKix86j8

Still can't figure out why or what the gently caress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

By all means put in a switch to override that in case you’re out of fuel and really need those lights, but that’s the exception.

Guarantee the vast majority of owners would flip that switch and leave it switched all the time, because of the two times that the drat car insisted on turning off the lights they wanted to still be on, and they had to call the dealer to find out how to disable it (because they never read the owner's booklet).

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
To answer a text message?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbhs2jxCr8

Latest monthly Dash Cam Owner's Australia video

NWS for pure Aussie swearing

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I absolutely belly laughed at the one around 7:20 where the truck lazily rounds the corner and then throws it in reverse to parallel park without once looking back or acknowledging traffic exists.

All of the bad merging, traffic circle failures, and driving through gorepoints just gives me daily commute flashbacks.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

You Am I posted:

For some reason, I absolutely love hearing Australians swear

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Does Australia get a lot of tourists or something, why does every one of those videos have multiples examples of people driving on the wrong side of the road

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Booourns posted:

Does Australia get a lot of tourists or something, why does every one of those videos have multiples examples of people driving on the wrong side of the road

Yeah, tons of tourists. Most of the tourist roads have signs regularly reminding on which side of the road we drive on.

However most of the wrong side of the road people are usually old aged pensioners who get confused when they get onto divided roads

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Am I the only one laughing at the bellends that get angry at someone else because they were following too closely and rear-ended another vehicle?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

You Am I posted:

I love these videos so much.

Its also amazing to see how many of these people cause a minor accident of some kind and then just keep driving.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solar Coaster posted:

I love these videos so much.

Its also amazing to see how many of these people cause a minor accident of some kind and then just keep driving.

The Japanese have a saying, "A man abroad has no neighbors."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sYKix86j8

Still can't figure out why or what the gently caress.

He wanted to see what you looked like to see if he was gonna pull you over.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Booourns posted:

Australia is just full of cunts who don't give a gently caress about others like paying attention to the road. Most of those idiots will be Ozzie's born and bread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Australia is full of upside-down Americans with a unique dialect of swear words.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You Am I posted:

Lost it at the bicyclist honking an airhorn at a swooping magpie.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The frantic honking continuing after the car passes is perfect comedic timing. I also love the older video with the guy riding a bicycle yelling oval office repeatedly as he's going down the road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

He wanted to see what you looked like to see if he was gonna pull you over.

You are, unfortunately, probably right. :sigh:

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
A friendlier interpretation would be that they were playing on the CrimePuter while waiting at the intersection, and were forced to move by you waiting on them, then decided they would pull over while using said CrimePuter. No cell phones, but yes full size laptop

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They're loving vicious over here. Back when I cycled to work every day, I chose to add an extra 2km to my commute just to bypass a cycle path detour that sent us through magpie central. You'd see them sitting up on the overhead powerlines, just waiting to attack anyone on a bike, and they'd follow for blocks. Got a couple nasty scratches on my neck and ears, and that was enough for me.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

^^^ I read somewhere that most years nobody dies to redbacks or crocodiles (could be misremembering and it was funnel webs or some other horror) but on average every year at least one eye is lost to a magpie in Australia.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oddhair posted:

^^^ I read somewhere that most years nobody dies to redbacks or crocodiles (could be misremembering and it was funnel webs or some other horror) but on average every year at least one eye is lost to a magpie in Australia.

Do they not have glasses or goggles in Aus?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

they do but the goggle spiders that colonize them are an issue

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

All it means is that you lose your glasses and/or goggles, in addition to the eye. :colbert:
You actually see heaps of cyclists down here near where I live, who all have zipties (fully tightened/fastened, so the ziptie is pointed up into the air) and other things sticking off the top of their helmet, to try and replicate the "echidna effect" to help repel magpies. Not sure how effective that really is but well, desperate times require desperate measures

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The important thing is, are they more or less effective than drop bear repellent?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Magpie defence testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGTcYfrEZU&t=49s

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I have been thinking about getting a dash cam for awhile but I just had a spooky experience that's kinda pushing me over the edge.

I was driving through the mountains and it was like 2:00am on a 2 lane highway. Pitchblack and zero cell reception along this stretch.
We were going basically the speed limit on cruise control. Some big pick up truck came up behind us pretty close, but we're on cruise control go the gently caress around or figure it out you're a big boy.
The truck finally starts passing and it sounds like they're just flooring it. Then once the truck is in front of us for a few seconds it starts breaking hard. Right up until we're now stopped on the highway.
Some alarms were already starting to go off in my head, but then the truck started reversing back right at us. We start reversing so we don't get hit, but my friend who's turn it was to drive figured there was just some wildlife on the road because he's a naive idiot.
I started fumbling to get my phone out to record cause I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some poo poo going down, but as I brought it up, another car's headlights showed up over the next hill coming from the opposite direction and the truck suddenly floored it out of there going twice the speed limit.

So now I figure I might as well bite the bullet and get a dash cam to record my eventual death so I don't have to fumble with my phone like a big dumb idiot.
I saw someone posted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/ a bit earlier in the thread and it seems like it suits my needs. I live in a cold climate and would want to get the rear camera too.
How hard is it to install? I'd want to hard wire it in, but I've literally never done any kind of work like that with my car. I'm not a complete moron, but again inexperience.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Fattest PI posted:

So now I figure I might as well bite the bullet and get a dash cam to record my eventual death so I don't have to fumble with my phone like a big dumb idiot.
I saw someone posted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/ a bit earlier in the thread and it seems like it suits my needs. I live in a cold climate and would want to get the rear camera too.
How hard is it to install? I'd want to hard wire it in, but I've literally never done any kind of work like that with my car. I'm not a complete moron, but again inexperience.

Charles posted:

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

Seems like this coupon code is still active.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

This had me look up why the magpies there aren't as chill as the ones we have here in Colorado and it's apparently because the ones in Australia aren't related to the other magpies and they're also not corvids. I did not know that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some crazy lightning (and the glow of a major arc) caught last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFkzBb7Dwk

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Charles posted:

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

I bought these. Installation was very easy. Rear is off-center due to the sliding middle window in my truck.

Still getting tons of glare in the front even with the CPL filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RR49_b66x8

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 3, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fknlo posted:

This had me look up why the magpies there aren't as chill as the ones we have here in Colorado and it's apparently because the ones in Australia aren't related to the other magpies and they're also not corvids. I did not know that.

It's mostly that, during mating season, their testicles swell to 6 times their usual size.

This tends to make the birds upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

I bought these. Installation was very easy. Rear is off-center due to the sliding middle window in my truck.

Still getting tons of glare in the front even with the CPL filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RR49_b66x8

I forgot to reply, but you can rotate the plastic inside the filter to try and adjust it for what looks best