Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Augus posted:

“Dany killing those slavers was a big red flag, you really shouldn’t have trusted her” said the righteous and trustworthy man who strangled his mistress to death
But he was very sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The show probably could have given us revenge focused angry Tyrion who at the end realizes how pointless it was or something, but they were always big in making Tyrion the good guy outright.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

The show probably could have given us revenge focused angry Tyrion who at the end realizes how pointless it was or something, but they were always big in making Tyrion the good guy outright.

thats kinda the problem. the show fucks up in not having tyrion allowed to be kinda of a lovely rear end in a top hat and also not having jaimie tell him about his first marrage. like lindsay says in the first video they also gently caress up by having shae be genuinly in love with tyrion and not changing the plot or at least competently rewriting it. i still like the show up to season 7 but holy gently caress you can see the train derailing by 4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Augus posted:

“Dany killing those slavers was a big red flag, you really shouldn’t have trusted her” said the righteous and trustworthy man who strangled his mistress to death

I can't recall and Lindsey may have mentioned it and I missed it - in the TV series does he use the Not!Napalm or doesn't he?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I can't recall and Lindsey may have mentioned it and I missed it - in the TV series does he use the Not!Napalm or doesn't he?

yes. against the true king i might add. lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It does occur that D&D might give the chuds the Star Wars they want.

What chuds want from Star Wars seems to be safe retreads of the Original Trilogy staring white men only with the doofy lightsaber battles from the Prequels, from what I’ve been able to suss out from all their complaints. And D&D are just the right kind of hacks who will do it.

I have to wonder though, just what precisely is the overlap between angry Star Wars fans and angry Game of Thrones fans. Because the Thrones backlash has been laser focused on D&D while also going out of its way to support all the actors involved emotionally and through their charities and other ventures, while the sparkling minds of the internet that got broke by the Last Jedi hounded Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley off of social media with hateful harassment and even still try to come at Mark Hammill over poo poo, only to get swatted away because he’s the Joker and he does’t give a gently caress.

Like, I know some people are perma-mad about the march of history away from their childhoods, but these seem like two different movements.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

What chuds want from Star Wars seems to be safe retreads of the Original Trilogy staring white men only with the doofy lightsaber battles from the Prequels, from what I’ve been able to suss out from all their complaints.

Which is hilariously bizarre considering these were the same people who complained about TFA being just a rehash of ANH. Like, pick a lane, dudes.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
were D&D always writing Game of Thrones because if so then man, how the gently caress were the first seasons so good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

Which is hilariously bizarre considering these were the same people who complained about TFA being just a rehash of ANH. Like, pick a lane, dudes.

like. i liked both TFA and TLJ but i had issues with both. i just get annoyed with the hyperbole about TLJ. its either the deepest and best star wars movie or the worst. that being said i am hopeful enough about rise of skywalker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thompsons posted:

were D&D always writing Game of Thrones because if so then man, how the gently caress were the first seasons so good

yeah. D&D are very good at adapting poo poo, the first 4 seasons and parts of 5 and 6 are directly or at least loosley pulled from books. 7 and 8 are their own thing. i feel like they would be ok with star wars movie. but thats just me.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The incoherence of sequel trilogy versus Game of Thrones criticism probably has more to do with the fact that there's not really anything coherent about it to criticize. The prequel trilogy had clear attempts at things like character arcs and themes even if Lucas faceplanted. We can criticize in very specific ways how he failed. Similarly, George R.R. Martin has a lot of things he's trying to say in Game of Thrones, even if he slips up as an author and HBO takes it further into outright incompetence.

Where does one begin to criticize Space Movie for Converting Nostalgia into Plastic Toys? Do we criticize it for failing to meet a certain set of standards? Do we criticize the very concept?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

They’re children who want better toys, so they broke all the toys they had in protest, then got mad at Mom and Dad for deciding to buy fewer or no toys now because someone broke all their perfectly fine toys in a fit of rage because their toys mad them mad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sophie Turner got blasted on social media for defending the ending or something, but I have no idea if any particular internet circles were waging a directed campaign at her like what's been happening with Star Wars for years now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like the main thing with Dany is that in the show, her poo poo tends to largely work out for her, whereas in the book, its a lot more obvious that Dany is a slow rolling storm of everything going horribly wrong, and the only thing keeping the wheels on the bus is that she has three dragons and no qualms with applying them to any and every problem that enters her field of vision. Like, its been years since I read them, but if I recall mereen became a plague-ridden thunderdome hellscape under her rule and once poo poo finally starts going fully sideways, her response is to say "gently caress this" and fly off with her dragons, leaving the city to implode.

Yeah, the books always hinted that Dany maybe was a good conqueror but a pretty terrible politician.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sophie Turner got blasted on social media for defending the ending or something, but I have no idea if any particular internet circles were waging a directed campaign at her like what's been happening with Star Wars for years now.

That seems to have died down, I think. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau also caught a bunch of heat for defending the ending and D&D, so the battle lines appear to be “Are you going to stick up for D&D of your own volition, yes or no?” more than “Are you a woman and/or minority who merely exists in 2019 Anno Domini?” like it appears to be with Star Wars. People going after Sophie was still really lovely and there’s no excusing it.

On the inverse side of that coin, the actors who’ve shown their displeasure with how the show turned out either tacitly or vocally like Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Natalia Tena and Conleth Hill have been rallied around as champions. They’re also big supporters of people like Gwendoline Christie and Alfie Allen, who got Emmy nominations by submitting themselves for consideration when HBO and D&D ignored them.

I don’t really see an analog to that in the Star Wars outrage of them rallying behind anyone like that.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 15, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mark Hamill

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That’s probably the closest analog, but even he still gets people screaming at him about how they can’t get the splinters of The Last Jedi out of their brain places no matter how mad at women they get.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://observer.com/2019/08/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-knives-out-tiff/

in new news. rian johnson is still making his star wars trilogy and they are giving him a bunch of freedom for it. so could be cool.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in new news. rian johnson is still making his star wars trilogy and they are giving him a bunch of freedom for it. so could be cool.

Good.

Make Star Wars fans' heads explode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Great news.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roth posted:

Good.

Make Star Wars fans' heads explode.

i was mixed on TLJ but i am excited. i liked what he tried to do, i just think some parts worked better than others. seeing him do his own story in the universe would be cool. i kinda want to see a james gunn star wars film. or a tarantino one. the latter will never happen, but it would be an interesting experiences. at least either of those two would have great music choices.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 15, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

bobjr posted:

Yeah that seems to be Lindsay's thesis. Tyrion was misanthropic and vengeful, he could easily be the reason why things turn out as bad as they do. But he had to be the good guy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thompsons posted:

They had books and used them for material for those seasons.

Then they outran the books and had to make up their own story and OH NO

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Surely HBO realizes DnD is good at adapting things right? So they will surely adapt whatever Star Wars comic or maybe some new legacy thing that will be made canon by Disney and they won't have to make up their own poo poo and maybe Star Wars will be...good again? Or are they possibly gonna ruin it because it's not their precious Confederacy show?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

RareAcumen posted:

They had books and used them for material for those seasons.

Then they outran the books and had to make up their own story and OH NO

To be at least a little fair: GRRM promised to, at worst, keep pace with the TV show on book releases and he still hasn't released a single book in the main series over 8 years.

To continue fairness: D&D had to know that GRRM is a big enough name to ignore deadlines, and he's never met one in his entire life anyway.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/CNNBusiness/status/1162028684972384256

quote:

Plaintiffs in the lawsuit include YouTube creators Bria Kam, Chrissy Chambers, Chase Ross, Brett Somers and Lindsay Amer, and a company that produces an LGBTQ news show called "GNews!" that claims it submitted an ad, which YouTube said wasn't allowed to run. The lawsuit is seeking class-action status.

Good on this law firm for taking this...wait what does that say at the bottom of the CNN article?

quote:

The law firm behind the lawsuit is also involved in a separate case against YouTube in which a conservative group, PragerU, claims the platform unlawfully censored its educational videos. The first version of the lawsuit was thrown out by a judge last year. YouTube declined to comment.

Is that awkward? Is this awkward should I not be seeing that part as awkward?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
maybe but its just cold business. Lawyers take cases

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

That’s probably the closest analog, but even he still gets people screaming at him about how they can’t get the splinters of The Last Jedi out of their brain places no matter how mad at women they get.

They are screaming at him but not about him. He’s their “ally”because he’s been super vocal about his issues with the sequels. Some of it I get and he’s right about, but I dunno. It puts me in a weird spot because he keeps giving these fuckers ammo, but he’s also awesome as hell so...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I like the ones who feel, like, double betrayed because Hamill said he didn't like what they did with Luke at first and then walked it back.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The US actually being two mutually hostile countries in a century-long stalemate would be pretty wild from a geopolitical perspective, especially once you get around to the world wars. Like, what would the USA and CSA even do in World War 1? Who would they back?

That's literally the background of two fun old RPGs, Deadlands and Hell on Earth.

Long story short, the world goes crazy and the dead come back during the battle of Gettysburg, making it inconclusive and helping the war drag on. The conflict between the North and the South turns hot and cold across the years, until aroun 2070 the whole world is basically sorted into the Northern Alliance and Southern Alliance, and a dumb incident sparks a huge war, WW1 style.

And thanks to a new kind of 'environmentally friendly' nuclear bomb, as soon as someone starts losing, the missiles start to fly and the post-apocalypse phase of the setting begins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sephyr posted:

That's literally the background of two fun old RPGs, Deadlands and Hell on Earth.

Long story short, the world goes crazy and the dead come back during the battle of Gettysburg, making it inconclusive and helping the war drag on. The conflict between the North and the South turns hot and cold across the years, until aroun 2070 the whole world is basically sorted into the Northern Alliance and Southern Alliance, and a dumb incident sparks a huge war, WW1 style.

And thanks to a new kind of 'environmentally friendly' nuclear bomb, as soon as someone starts losing, the missiles start to fly and the post-apocalypse phase of the setting begins.

yea but to even make that work deadlands had to be all 'uuuh but eventually the csa gave up slavery and yea there's racism and all but it's not a slave empire or anything'.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea but to even make that work deadlands had to be all 'uuuh but eventually the csa gave up slavery and yea there's racism and all but it's not a slave empire or anything'.

Ohh yeah, they dodge -hard- on many big issues. They also don't mention which side the CSA fell on in either of the world wars.

Just goes to show that it's a tempting theme for a story, but you can either weaksauce it and basically endorse slavery and oligarchical racism, or play it straight to make it a dystopia and basically lose half the US market out of the gate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Surely HBO realizes DnD is good at adapting things right? So they will surely adapt whatever Star Wars comic or maybe some new legacy thing that will be made canon by Disney and they won't have to make up their own poo poo and maybe Star Wars will be...good again? Or are they possibly gonna ruin it because it's not their precious Confederacy show?

i am sure they will be fine and probably do a decent and even good job at adapting a star wars idea into a movie. plus since its Disney, they probably won't be able to add any really hosed up dumb poo poo. they have their obvious weakness but they kept a great show going for a long time even if alot of it was adaptations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I like the ones who feel, like, double betrayed because Hamill said he didn't like what they did with Luke at first and then walked it back.

yeah. i like what they with luke but i think his turn was kinda hamfisted even if i kinda like it. the big problem with TLJ is its very rough around the edges plotwise because the whole thing is more about themes than anything else and plot is secondary to that. with rey, snoke and ben/luke, it mostly works. with finn who i think they movie kinda does dirty and rose, not as much. plus they loving waste Gwendolyn Christie, again.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rise of Skywalker is not only going to do the hack rear end Endgame time travel poo poo, they're gonna go for the gold and retcon Revenge of the Sith.

Anakin will rise from the Monster Mash, and Luke will be named Obiwan instead for some reason giving them reason to reintroduce their wacky young Obiwan movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Rise of Skywalker is not only going to do the hack rear end Endgame time travel poo poo, they're gonna go for the gold and retcon Revenge of the Sith.

Anakin will rise from the Monster Mash, and Luke will be named Obiwan instead for some reason giving them reason to reintroduce their wacky young Obiwan movie.

my guess is either monster mash found a new body and did the whole empire of the hand deal hence the red stormtroopers or he is some force ghost. than poe shoots him in the spine and he dies.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

By rise I mean he kills Palpy, and gets to be Da Big Hero of the Thunkpublic. President Anakin with Centrist bullshit and better hair and big hands.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
He just wanted the Jedi to be able to gently caress. That's his only policy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think the 4chan crowd loves the end of Game of Thrones because a perfect aryan war goddess literally becomes Hitler, or do they hate it because a horde of the dusky races ends the existence of so many of the white race and the future of their white children?

I’m sure they’re mostly mad because Daenerys was a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you think the 4chan crowd loves the end of Game of Thrones because a perfect aryan war goddess literally becomes Hitler, or do they hate it because a horde of the dusky races ends the existence of so many of the white race and the future of their white children?

I’m sure they’re mostly mad because Daenerys was a girl.

yes.

Honest question though. why does it matter what chuds think about the ending? they are morons and their opinions are usually some sort of gilded age race poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 15, 2019