Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Failson posted:

Uh oh:

https://gizmodo.com/ups-has-been-delivering-cargo-in-self-driving-trucks-fo-1837272680

Arizona routes, and a self-driving company I'd never heard of, called TuSimple.

The movie Logan had a scene in a highway and they added a few self-driving cargo to show the practical future and I figure that’d be the one sure thing we’ll see before self driving cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfz6hiogsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The movie Logan had a scene in a highway and they added a few self-driving cargo to show the practical future and I figure that’d be the one sure thing we’ll see before self driving cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfz6hiogsQ

I could see this is they got their own sperated lanes and stations to replace railways. Mixing with everyday traffic? Lol.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean the truck does run him off the road, seemingly out of machine error. When I first saw the movie I thought it was a hack and another fight would come up but nope, future trucks just do that to civilians sometimes!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought they pussed out by not having any of the animals get pasted by a robo-trucker who doesn't even try to slow down

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

d3lness posted:

I could see this is they got their own sperated lanes and stations to replace railways. Mixing with everyday traffic? Lol.

so a railway... but worse?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

d3lness posted:

Lmbo if you think regulation would occur.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it still kind of blows my mind that Tesla had a record-breaking quarter deliveries-wise, ended up losing like four times as much money as they planned to that quarter, and a ton of theoretically savvy people haven’t put two and two together.

if you sell MORE CARS and lose MORE MONEY then it sort of follows that there’s no amount of cars you can sell and not lose money, except possibly 0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

you can't put a price on loving a car though

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol at the oathkeepers mad that the proud boys haven't done enough to keep white supremacists away from the "Antifascists are domestic terrorists" rally

Just a fractal set of spidermen pointing at eachother.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it still kind of blows my mind that Tesla had a record-breaking quarter deliveries-wise, ended up losing like four times as much money as they planned to that quarter, and a ton of theoretically savvy people haven’t put two and two together.

if you sell MORE CARS and lose MORE MONEY then it sort of follows that there’s no amount of cars you can sell and not lose money, except possibly 0

It's a fundamentally inefficient company when you look at the number of employees or the amount of capital waste.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao that entire press release is :ironicat: as hell

quote:

Allowing any actual white nationalists into an event where attendees are encouraged to bring Trump flags as well as American flags would be a grave mistake and does no favors to either President Trump

They spend like 8 paragraphs talking as flowery as they can about every terrible antifa sin in an attempt to make people not mad at them lmfao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I mean the truck does run him off the road, seemingly out of machine error. When I first saw the movie I thought it was a hack and another fight would come up but nope, future trucks just do that to civilians sometimes!

I wouldn't put it past companies programming their trucks to gently caress over human drivers.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol at the oathkeepers mad that the proud boys haven't done enough to keep white supremacists away from the "Antifascists are domestic terrorists" rally

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They spend like 8 paragraphs talking as flowery as they can about every terrible antifa sin in an attempt to make people not mad at them lmfao

oh for sure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

sir, this is a tesla drive through

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
son of a

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I want to see a Tesla in the Le Mans 24 hours, it could never happen, but it would be entertaining.

would be the best thing ever, it would be fully autonomous and just instantly careen into the crowd catch on fire 1955 style

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

etalian posted:

It's a fundamentally inefficient company when you look at the number of employees or the amount of capital waste.

no that's just the air resistance

once they evacuate the factories + tent of air and also labor costs ol' musky's profits are going straight to the moon mars

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teal posted:

Again this isn't even "the real problem", the real "nightmare"; if it turns out your main neural net is very suspicible to that you can train another that'll watch out for that specifically and probably be able to baby the main one through it, or engineer a non-ML solution for that particular kind, you can also probably put at least partial blame on someone that isn't your lovecar and so on and so on.

The real nightmare has to be when the cases when the car just decides to yank the steering over the edge of the cliff and absolutely nothing left in the blackbox hints at why did it decide to do so. Or when it does something like that and there's very clear "that's a loving firetruck right there" over a green postage box and nobody can figure out why the hell would it be that.

Or just go by the stuff Karpathy actually did mention in the lecture; someone tries to tune the model so one thing works better (lets say detecting cones) and it helps but suddenly some other part broke entirely (lets say detecting firetrucks).

I bet they also have a lot of fun ghosts in the dataset where they add fresh data or relabel old data better and the peformance randomly gets worse and karpathy probably just lights a blunt kicks his feet up and goes "ah, anyway-"

is the name of the guy in charge of designing autonomous car navigation "car pathy"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s not as good as that time the android forum app hosed up and posted someone’s fitness log 10 times in a row in some random thread

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I want to see a Tesla in the Le Mans 24 hours, it could never happen, but it would be entertaining.

we've already seen it?

https://twitter.com/tesla/status/1141041018835353600

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s not as good as that time the android forum app hosed up and posted someone’s fitness log 10 times in a row in some random thread

Nothing will ever be that good again. I assumed he was doing a tribute to that.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Time to charge up the crystals

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

They will make up for it in volume :downs:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Aino Minako posted:

Test drove a model x today. Definitely can feel the height and weight compared to a 3, but it still had above average acceleration and handling. The low ceiling in the 3rd row was surprising - definitely more like a X4 “coupe” thing.

My main worry is still whether the doors will play well enough in our low ceiling garage. Lowering the suspension may help there.

I need to replace a CRV and I need to do it soon. I can’t find any way to have confidence the garage issue without just straight up buying one.

It’s still better than any of the alternatives, which feel prehistoric in comparison.

Finger Prince posted:

Looks like they'll open as far as they have space, and you can set how far they open for your garage in a menu setting. I'd go back and test drive it again, only this time take it home and see if it fits in your garage.

Aino Minako posted:

The closest sales location is ~200 miles away, unfortunately. I tired to schedule something with the local service center, which has Xs as loaners, but they cancelled my appointment and said it’s something they don’t do.

But gently caress it I did it anyways and made the purchase. :justpost:

Finger Prince posted:

Nice. I admire your conviction. The manual says they'll stop before they hit anything so you'll probably be fine, even if it means crawling in through a tiny gap and moving the car to the driveway to get the rest of the family in. You'd think with all this self driving self parking auto bullshit that you'd just be able to tell it to back out of the garage by itself and then get in in the driveway. Maybe you can? That would be cool.

jabro posted:

With summon you're able to.

Three Olives has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Aug 16, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how long until the post where he explains that it backed over his kids

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

infernal machines posted:

how long until the post where he explains that it backed over his kids

He'll still Love Car, though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

He'll still Love Car, though.

He loved his kid. He loves the car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Car.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You're too late, that one is a repeat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t think I was the first person to replace “love Big Brother” with “love Car”.

I don’t even think it’s the first time I’ve posted it, but it’s the first time I’ve posted it in the context of Car murdering the younglings.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

is the name of the guy in charge of designing autonomous car navigation "car pathy"

Yes and now that you mention it it's probably the sole reason Musk chose him

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I, too, admire this online stranger's conviction to purchase an expensive new vehicle.

Car is good! Car is great! We surrender our will as of this date!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish one day someone will love me as much as these people love car

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Teal posted:

Again this isn't even "the real problem", the real "nightmare"; if it turns out your main neural net is very suspicible to that you can train another that'll watch out for that specifically and

no, that is v much the real problem - the hypothetical self-driving car absolutely needs to be able to successfully negotiate conditions it hasn't been specifically trained on, because the real world is not a static, orderly place

presented with an unmarked, unsigned road, maybe a gravel road with the edges of pavement obscured with plants and no streetlights at night, a human will know that they're in fact on a road and be able to recognize what the turnoff they want might be or how and where to turn around if they pass it based on a landmark or something

navigating the unfamiliar is a completely standard expectation to make of a human driver, while an """"""artificial intelligence"""""" capable of this is a wild fantasy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i do wonder when we'll start seeing bazingas plowing through farmers markets on Firetruck Search and Destroy instead of disgruntled lead-brained olds

though i'm more surprised that one of those things hasn't seen right through a highway cable barrier and sheared a tesla-napper into cleanly separated pieces like that guy from johnny mnemonic

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 07:22 on Aug 16, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

shovelbum posted:

so a railway... but worse?

Kind of like Clyde's not-hyper-loop that's totally a revolutionary replacement for freeways. In summation automated transport is a land of contrasts :thejoke:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

navigating the unfamiliar is a completely standard expectation to make of a human driver, while an """"""artificial intelligence"""""" capable of this is a wild fantasy

Honestly this is something I disagree with (in context of more sane and functional companies like waymo/Google, not Tesla). The key definitely is, at this point of machine learning capability, in using more varied sensors, not fewer.

When you combine a 360 degree lidar with not-bad cameras you get pretty good baseline map of "things I definitely don't want to drive though unless some more involved part manages to discount it as clearly identified non-hazard". There's not many things that should miss that'd be fatal to miss.

If you detect an object and it's above the ground (which lidar can tell, Musk's cameras apparently can't), and you flash it with radar and the response is zilch then it's probably fine to not throw the car into the ditch for (but if you detect it from far enough you should be probably slowing down just in case). In any other case radar can tell you very easily that there's a firetruck in the way and no amount of machine learning noise has to have the authority to overrule a fairly straightforward "there's something that oughta be made of 20 tons of metal directly ahead and we're closing in fast" measurement.

Another great tool is infra red cameras. I spend a lot of time working with a low-infra cameras (you use these specifically for measuring temperatures of surfaces) but even high-infra camera has the huge advantage that suddenly glass is opaque and not that reflective anymore and the car can shine floodlamps in all directions it needs to get the amount of illumination it needs (I guess until they start blinding each other doing that). They also got the obvious benefit that living things now glow in dark.

Really we have a ton of tools (that absolutely have been also getting cheaper and cheaper as now China churns out their own LWIR camera cores and radar based toys) that give you inputs so much clearer and better than human eyeballs that you could use them to get to cheap out on the intelligence part easily, but that'd require approaching the task as an old world engineer rather than a techbro relying on venture capital infusions who the only tools of whom are subpar webcams and the cloud.

Another issue is that at the end of the day the ever bigger question is what's the loving point because the only real purpose of it all will be to erode the available work further and to enable the people rich enough to afford a roadbound spaceship enterprise sensors wise but are too antisocial to just hire a driver.

Teal has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Aug 16, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mount slug launchers on cars. The Smart Slugs they fire will be able to communicate their position.

Shoot them at objects the car’s sensors aren’t sure about and see what they do to the slug’s trajectory. If it experiences significant slowdown or deflection, try not to drive into that object.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MunchE posted:

Tesla tried to pull an Apple and partially disable their older batteries via software so now they're being sued.

Apple never did that. Kind of the opposite, in fact. They had (still have in fact) a feature which makes worn batteries more useful by reducing CPU clock speed, and therefore power consumption. Because of the way this poo poo works the last 10-20% of performance costs a lot more than 10-20% extra power, so Apple engineers realized they could substantially increase battery life on a worn battery without making the phone useless.

Their misstep was not documenting this behavior and giving users a notification about what was going on. Because of this lack of communication, when it was discovered, Internet clickbaiters turned it into a scandal (and many many page views) by claiming it was a plot to force people to upgrade to newer phones by artificially slowing their old phones down.

That tesla story is a bigger deal and to explain why I'm going to have to go over one of the interesting things about lithium ion battery chemistries. Phones and laptops normally allow nearly full discharge of their Li-Ion batteries because that's how you get absolute max hours of use on one charge. However, this is harmful to the battery's total lifespan: it turns out that if you can avoid ever making use of the 0-20% and 80-100% state of charge ranges, the battery will last many more years and charge cycles.

Those aren't real numbers, btw, I'm not efforting this post too much, the important thing to know is that LiIon batteries last significantly longer as long as they're maintained in an intermediate state of charge. (Temperature is important too. They don't like cold and they don't like heat.)

Despite this, standard industry practice in phones and laptops is to use nearly the entire 100%-0% range of state of charge. Needing a new battery every 3-4 years isn't a big deal when it costs relatively little money. In cars, however, this is a non-starter. Nobody would buy a battery EV if the cost of running it included a $30K battery pack every few years. So everyone who makes BEVs with Li-Ion batteries, Tesla included, has state of charge management which doesn't let drivers use the full capacity of their batteries. They are never charged to true full or discharged to true empty.

What this story means is that Tesla wanted to quote super high range figures to help sell their cars, got too aggressive on either the high or the low side of state of charge management (or both?), and as a result they were presumably wearing the batteries in these vehicles out too fast. Then they issued a firmware update which corrected that problem by, in effect, reducing range below what customers had paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

You don't get fat stacks as a c-level by saying 10-25 years, you stack paper by saying 5 years and jumping ship at 4.5 years.

:eyepop: