Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got a new to me car (2013 Scion xB) and I noticed the door panels were getting streak marks from the rain. I figured the dealership I bought it from used some kind of lovely armor-all type stuff on the plastic so I scrubbed all of the panels with simple green and it appeared to solve the problem. Then this morning it was raining and it did it even worse, wtf do I need to use to clean off whatever lovely product is on the door panels causing this?

Try some vinegar on the chance it's mineral deposits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not mineral deposits, that would happen over time. This happens as soon as the rain hits it, I can wipe it away but then it happens again whenever it gets rained on like the water is reacting to whatever chemical is on the plastic.

Vinegar is worth a shot tho.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not mineral deposits, that would happen over time. This happens as soon as the rain hits it, I can wipe it away but then it happens again whenever it gets rained on like the water is reacting to whatever chemical is on the plastic.

Vinegar is worth a shot tho.

Hummmm. I got nothin.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If rains doing that it's probably water soluble. I know you said you did simple green already. Maybe it just needs more of the same?

Just spitballing.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know anything about detailing, but I have some filthy black fabric seats with a lot of blotch-y, fingerprint-sized dirt stains that I want to clean. I thought I could get by with household products; I mixed up some hot water and dish soap and attacked one of them with a scrub brush and a shopvac for about an hour, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference. Is it time to invest in an actual detailing product? Do I need a certain kind of brush? The OP recommends Meguiars D103, but nobody local carries it, and I'm really only interested in cleaning the seats, so is there something more appropriate?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lester Shy posted:

I don't know anything about detailing, but I have some filthy black fabric seats with a lot of blotch-y, fingerprint-sized dirt stains that I want to clean. I thought I could get by with household products; I mixed up some hot water and dish soap and attacked one of them with a scrub brush and a shopvac for about an hour, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference. Is it time to invest in an actual detailing product? Do I need a certain kind of brush? The OP recommends Meguiars D103, but nobody local carries it, and I'm really only interested in cleaning the seats, so is there something more appropriate?

This is my first shot at carpet stains: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-900-Carpet-Lifter/dp/B0002KKIXC

You can also pick it up at walmart.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone attempted paint chip repair themselves? After doing some polishing over the weekend they are more noticeable now to me.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dr. Colorchip

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I discovered this flowchart graphic on autogeek, and found it very useful/instructive:

Ordered some stuff between autogeek and Amazon to see if I could resurrect the super oxidized single stage "Super White" paint on my 2010 Toyota Corolla:

PorterCable 7424XP (w/backing plate)
cutting pads
finishing foam pads
Meguiars Clay Kit
Meguiars 105 Compound
Meguiars 205 Polish
Meguiars #7 Polish

grit guard
washing mitt

(I have buckets and soap already.)

Can't wait to actually see if this all works.

edit: forgot I'd bought foam pads

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 26, 2019

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
So, like a lazy fuckwit I left birdshit on my (black) car for some time and after giving its first wash in about a year the other day the paint looks raised in the area where the bird poo poo was, it's weird. I think you can slightly feel it with your finger too. I've been meaning to give the car a thorough going over with clay, polish, wax/sealant etc., but I'm guessing that's not going to fix this defect now. Experts, how boned do you think I am here?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So, like a lazy fuckwit I left birdshit on my (black) car for some time and after giving its first wash in about a year the other day the paint looks raised in the area where the bird poo poo was, it's weird. I think you can slightly feel it with your finger too. I've been meaning to give the car a thorough going over with clay, polish, wax/sealant etc., but I'm guessing that's not going to fix this defect now. Experts, how boned do you think I am here?

Try washing and the claybarring that part.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

birdshit can create a nasty spot on a car within hours...you probably wont get far with a claybar on a spot like that (still worth trying though)

you'll probably end up needing to use a polisher with some medium correction to start with

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 3, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Last weekend, I spent several hours cutting the super oxidized single stage paint on my 2010 "Super White" Corolla.
While it does look 1000x better than it did (previously "chalky" and rough,) parts of it are kind of semi-matte.
I'm thinking maybe if I'd used microfiber cutting pads instead of foam pads? What do you guys think?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

betterinsodapop posted:

Last weekend, I spent several hours cutting the super oxidized single stage paint on my 2010 "Super White" Corolla.
While it does look 1000x better than it did (previously "chalky" and rough,) parts of it are kind of semi-matte.
I'm thinking maybe if I'd used microfiber cutting pads instead of foam pads? What do you guys think?

If you were cutting, then it's time to move to polishing. What products were you using?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

If you were cutting, then it's time to move to polishing. What products were you using?
I did cut and polish, but I don't think I got deep enough on the cut.

Some of the car looks FANTASTIC, but the hood still looks pretty muted/dull.

Here's what I did:
washed (2 bucket style!) w/Meguiar's Gold Class
clayed w/Meguiar's Clay Kit
cut using orange foam pad and Meguiars 105
polished using grey/black foam pad and Meguiars 205

It really looks a TON better overall, but wish I'd been able to get a real shine back on the hood.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Huh, my 2005 Pontiac Vibe is super white which I guess means it's single stage too. That would explain how nicely it came back from neglect when I gave it a good polish when I first bought it. I had no idea. No way I'd suspect there were still single stage paint jobs out there in the past couple decades.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
do you use white applicator foam pads or something? :psyduck:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Phone posted:

Nope. Lake Country orange pads on a Porter Cable 7424XP on 6 speed. LC black pads on 5 for polish.

Before it was given to me, this car spent 8 years in upstate NY without ever being washed, being exposed to rain, snow, and salt from the brutal winters up there. The oxidization was heavier than I thought.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i meant it towards opengl128 since i would figure just waxing a single stage white car with one of the yellow foam pads would have revealed itself obviously that it was single stage

in actual detailing news, i'm gonna wash the mazda3 and polish it up soon! maybe even wash the truck for the first time (owned since 2016)!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

I use these guys so...yep haha

https://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiars-M43/DA-Microfiber-Cutting-Disc-Buffing-Pad-P515/55-S1

Would also explain the extreme build up on the pads I was encountering!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

betterinsodapop posted:

I did cut and polish, but I don't think I got deep enough on the cut.

Some of the car looks FANTASTIC, but the hood still looks pretty muted/dull.

Here's what I did:
washed (2 bucket style!) w/Meguiar's Gold Class
clayed w/Meguiar's Clay Kit
cut using orange foam pad and Meguiars 105
polished using grey/black foam pad and Meguiars 205

It really looks a TON better overall, but wish I'd been able to get a real shine back on the hood.

Try some Ultimate Compound, put a firm pad on, crank up the speed and go hog wild.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

toplitzin posted:

I guess ChemGuys now has a tornado cleaner thing too (According to amazon, so take that with a grain of salt) and only $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6PTWQW/

I want to buy one of these tornado cleaner things, and I know they take a lot of air, but does anyone have any specific recommendations on the size of air compressor I should be hunting for on facebook marketplace?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Try some Ultimate Compound, put a firm pad on, crank up the speed and go hog wild.
Haha, sounds like fun. Yep, I'll give it a shot.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally had my M3 corrected and ceramic coated. I was going to try and get it done myself, but the time requirements combined with my workspace made it less than desirable so I had a shop do it. There was some hologramming from a po doing a bad polish job on pretty much every panel and that was my main issue.

Doesn't capture super well, but that was everywhere.

Haven't had a chance to really go over it in good lighting, but I'm definitely happy so far! They're supposed to send pics of the process and hopefully they were able to get pics of how bad it was before they corrected it. If they did I'll make sure to post them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Finally had my M3 corrected and ceramic coated. I was going to try and get it done myself, but the time requirements combined with my workspace made it less than desirable so I had a shop do it. There was some hologramming from a po doing a bad polish job on pretty much every panel and that was my main issue.

Doesn't capture super well, but that was everywhere.

Haven't had a chance to really go over it in good lighting, but I'm definitely happy so far! They're supposed to send pics of the process and hopefully they were able to get pics of how bad it was before they corrected it. If they did I'll make sure to post them.

That’s the good poo poo, right there. Right into my veins.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

That’s the good poo poo, right there. Right into my veins.

Lmao, I just got loving rear ended. Light hit so it's probably just the bumper, but :suicide:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fknlo posted:

Lmao, I just got loving rear ended. Light hit so it's probably just the bumper, but :suicide:

God drat dude :sympathy:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

:dehumanize:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

In the right turn lane. Car in front of me is stopped. I'm stopped. The lady behind me is stopped. I look up and now she's driving into me. I'm super loving angry. I may have done a bit of a burnout when traffic cleared. Pull over in a parking lot and I've already relaxed a ton and the lady gets out and is just loving shaking. She saw how pissed I was initially but I was able to calm her down. In the end it's just a car and no one was hurt, etc... Still loving sucks. I literally had a conversation with my Lyft driver about how you can't have nice things on the way to pick it up this morning. So now I need to track down a body shop and decide whether I want to gently caress with her insurance or just let mine do the work like I did the last time I was not at fault in an accident. I'll probably let my insurance deal with it since that's what the gently caress I pay them for.

Not super bad, just super loving frustrating. This is why I don't ever drive my S2000.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

loving sucks dude.

Still, could be a lot worse. I got rear ended once at approximately the same speed, and it should have been a similar non-event, except the rear end in a top hat had a flat-tow hitch adapter on the front of his mini truck that very nearly punched a hole through the bumper cover of my car.

I also gave up on every owning a “nice” car. If I drive it on the street, I assume some rear end in a top hat is going to gently caress it up.

I guess Eve online taught me something useful, after all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

loving sucks dude.

Still, could be a lot worse. I got rear ended once at approximately the same speed, and it should have been a similar non-event, except the rear end in a top hat had a flat-tow hitch adapter on the front of his mini truck that very nearly punched a hole through the bumper cover of my car.

I also gave up on every owning a “nice” car. If I drive it on the street, I assume some rear end in a top hat is going to gently caress it up.

I guess Eve online taught me something useful, after all.

I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as angry initially if I hadn't just spent a bunch of money on the paint stuff. It's not that bad, I'm not exactly worried about resale or anything like that, and it's just a car. I'm obviously going to do my best to be made whole with the best body money can buy and all that jazz. Will the whole car have to be redone as far as the coating goes or can they just do part of it? Because that's gonna get paid for too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

fknlo posted:

In the right turn lane. Car in front of me is stopped. I'm stopped. The lady behind me is stopped. I look up and now she's driving into me. I'm super loving angry. I may have done a bit of a burnout when traffic cleared. Pull over in a parking lot and I've already relaxed a ton and the lady gets out and is just loving shaking. She saw how pissed I was initially but I was able to calm her down. In the end it's just a car and no one was hurt, etc... Still loving sucks. I literally had a conversation with my Lyft driver about how you can't have nice things on the way to pick it up this morning. So now I need to track down a body shop and decide whether I want to gently caress with her insurance or just let mine do the work like I did the last time I was not at fault in an accident. I'll probably let my insurance deal with it since that's what the gently caress I pay them for.

Not super bad, just super loving frustrating. This is why I don't ever drive my S2000.

drat that sucks man.

Use your insurance so you can dictate what shop it goes to / oem parts etc. They'll make her insurance pay for it later. That debate is their job and afaik mostly comes down to "does this cost less than litigation". Outside medical and personal injury it always does.

Good on you to recognize that a car is only a thing, but I'd be pissed as gently caress too and it's ok.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fknlo posted:

I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as angry initially if I hadn't just spent a bunch of money on the paint stuff. It's not that bad, I'm not exactly worried about resale or anything like that, and it's just a car. I'm obviously going to do my best to be made whole with the best body money can buy and all that jazz. Will the whole car have to be redone as far as the coating goes or can they just do part of it? Because that's gonna get paid for too.

Anything that gets resprayed will have to be recoated. And you'll have to wait for the paint to cure before you recoat. Typically 30 days.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Brand new 2019 Rav4, a bunch of these stains are appearing from insects splattered on the road.

They're not sitting on the car for long, I clean them off every day or so. Anyone know how to get it out of my paint/prevent it from staining my paint?

It's completely smooth to the touch, so it's not surface crud.

I tried clay just for the hell of it, am completely stumped why my paint seems to be staining like this, or how to get it out.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 9, 2019

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

In the end, this is what I did, just using 105 compound. I got heavy cut microfiber pads, cranked the speed, and did indeed go hog wild. It finally chewed through the severe oxidation. Followed it up with 205 polish on 5 speed. The car has gone from white chalk to white gloss. Single stage paint still sucks, but at least I got most of the shine back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I used the Meguiar's heavy duty headlight restoration kit a while back to polish one of my lights that was getting cloudy. Its starting to get a bit cloudy again.

Can I just re-do the polishing step of this or do I have to re-sand and then re-apply the polish?

Its not that bad yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

betterinsodapop posted:

In the end, this is what I did, just using 105 compound. I got heavy cut microfiber pads, cranked the speed, and did indeed go hog wild. It finally chewed through the severe oxidation. Followed it up with 205 polish on 5 speed. The car has gone from white chalk to white gloss. Single stage paint still sucks, but at least I got most of the shine back.

Very nice. The reason I recommend the UC is the way it works, it starts out fairly coarse, but breaks down as you use it, so really it's both of those products in one. You can hammer on it and get good cutting, but light and fast polishes. Next time you need it (it'll be soon), try UC.

wesleywillis posted:

I used the Meguiar's heavy duty headlight restoration kit a while back to polish one of my lights that was getting cloudy. Its starting to get a bit cloudy again.

Can I just re-do the polishing step of this or do I have to re-sand and then re-apply the polish?

Its not that bad yet.

I had really good luck with the Sylvania headlight kit on the BMW and Escalade, both 10+ years old. It wipes on/buffs off and has lasted over a year with no change on the Escalade, most of that sitting in direct sun.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Very nice. The reason I recommend the UC is the way it works, it starts out fairly coarse, but breaks down as you use it, so really it's both of those products in one. You can hammer on it and get good cutting, but light and fast polishes. Next time you need it (it'll be soon), try UC
Picked some up at Advance Auto Parts. Thanks for the recommendation!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just don’t do what I did and also buy Ultimate Polish. That stuff sucks. I swapped it out for some Menzerna SF3500 over the weekend and I was pretty happy with the result. Nice glossy mirror finish.

Still looking for something decent to remove tar though. I picked up some Turtlewax Bug and Tar based on some recommendations but it didn’t really work on the tiny tar spots on my wheels even after multiple tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Goof Off has been good to me in the past for most things.

UC is the best product I have ever used. Might be a technique thing, but I've gotten better results with that than anything else. Also seconding that Ult Polish wasn't good.