Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Should be gettin' Zim and Mindhunter S2 up on Netflix in just a few minutes.

Hirsute posted:

The Beach Bum is on Hulu and it's great!

Ooh, I've heard that's worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Beach Bum is really good yeah.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wu Assassins is pretty fun actually.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Season two of Mindhunter is pretty good. I think it's a shorter season, and the pace does seem to have picked up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wu Assassins is pretty fun actually.

I was surprised by how the strength of the show ended up being a cast of really fun characters that I enjoy rooting for. I mean, yea the action is really good too for a Netflix series but by the end I was in it because I wanted to see what happened to the characters.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sell me on Glow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sell me on Glow.

Alison Brie boobs in the first 5 minutes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny. The characters are good. It does the 80s well, without being obnoxiously nostalgia baiting like most poo poo these days. All around it's just really entertaining and puts me in a good mood.

I was probably exaggerating when I said it's the best show on Netflix, but it's really entertaining.

Medullah posted:

also this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sounds like a crass joke but there really are more tits in GLOW than every HBO show ever made combined.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm currently watching Killer Ratings. It's a Brazilian documentary about a host of a true crime hunters series (imagine if the dude from Nightcrawler had his own TV show) where they'd document murders around the city. It turns out that the host was paying people to commit the murders.

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny. The characters are good. It does the 80s well, without being obnoxiously nostalgia baiting like most poo poo these days. All around it's just really entertaining and puts me in a good mood.

I was probably exaggerating when I said it's the best show on Netflix, but it's really entertaining.

also this

Alright I may give it a shot.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's an episode in season 2 that is in-universe show they produce, it's really great and nails the feel of 80s wrestling perfectly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's an episode in season 2 that is in-universe show they produce, it's really great and nails the feel of 80s wrestling perfectly.

That's what is making s3 frustrating for me so far, 4 eps in and there hasn't been any wrestling at all. They did such a good job of it, the absence is really felt.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Enos Cabell posted:

That's what is making s3 frustrating for me so far, 4 eps in and there hasn't been any wrestling at all. They did such a good job of it, the absence is really felt.

There is only one episode with a satisfying amount of wrestling. There is another one later on that is wrestling-adjacent, but still pretty light on actual wrestling. Hopefully they do more of it next season. I thought season 3 was pretty great, but it could almost have been any show for most of the episodes with how little it dealt with wrestling.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The new Invader Zim special is shockingly on point with the rest of the series. Aside from some outstanding animation work in certain parts it feels like it could have come out when the show was originally airing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm currently watching Killer Ratings. It's a Brazilian documentary about a host of a true crime hunters series (imagine if the dude from Nightcrawler had his own TV show) where they'd document murders around the city. It turns out that the host was paying people to commit the murders.

Is this an actual documentary or a show about a fictional documentary? If it's the former, then HOLY poo poo. That's extremely hosed up.

edit: I just looked it up and it's the former. Good lord, people are loving nuts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This Cannon Busters anime that Netflix just put out is actually pretty great. Seems like it was based on an American comic so it's got a pretty diverse cast of characters. Really reminds me of old school anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, something that people who don't typically like anime would still enjoy, it's kinda a mishmash of sci fi/western/fantasy. It also has a very good english dub.

I'm excited to check out Mindhunter s2 next.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cannon Busters sounds like it would be the title of a sweet Dreamcast game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cannonbusters is finally out!?!?!?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Got a notification that Mindhunters season 2 is up now which I didn’t even know was coming.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

It seems like only yesterday we were trying not to sexualised her.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The MSJ posted:

It seems like only yesterday we were trying not to sexualised her.

Shameful googling reveals that she has had some bad luck sending personal photos, that ship is sailed

It does kind of seem to fly in the face of the spirit of the actual show, if not the wrestling league it's based on/inspired by

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Shameful googling reveals that she has had some bad luck sending personal photos, that ship is sailed

It does kind of seem to fly in the face of the spirit of the actual show, if not the wrestling league it's based on/inspired by

It's so deliberate and pretty much the only nudity in the show, it feels like it's some kind of character development thing or something? What that exactly be I'm not sure. Or maybe just boobs. It's weird either way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Invader Zim was loving awesome.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Invader Zim was loving awesome.

It was the first thing I liked but couldn't say I liked because the fans were such garbage. A proto- Rick and Morty. Seriously the early mid 2000s were full of people wearing Invader Zim crap who wanted to sing you the doom song. I wonder who they grew up to be.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was the first thing I liked but couldn't say I liked because the fans were such garbage. A proto- Rick and Morty. Seriously the early mid 2000s were full of people wearing Invader Zim crap who wanted to sing you the doom song. I wonder who they grew up to be.

Yeah. I'm part of the "Liked Rick and Morty before it was cool" club as well. It's insane how huge the show is now compared to its humble beginnings, and just how terrible the fans are.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t interact with other people so I have no idea what either of their fan bases were.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Philthy posted:

I don’t interact with other people so I have no idea what either of their fan bases were.

Invader Zim was HUGE at Hot Topic for like a decade after it for cancelled. The best way to describe Rick and Morty fans as the type of people who frequent VR Chat.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Yo the new zim is gooooood

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cannonbusters is the loving poo poo. It's American written/created anime that is animated in Japan much like the Boondocks. Hell the creator of this show worked on Boondocks.

It's fantastic so far with fun characters, great art style, and high quality voice acting in both the Japanese and English dubs.

Even though I'm always "sub or die", this show is the exception. Plus, I find it more fitting since the show is created and written by an American so I imagine the original script was in English.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Roll Red Roll, a documentary on the Steubenville rape case and cover up is on netflix now, I saw it last year, its good(and obviously depressing as gently caress)

nopants
May 29, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Cannonbusters is the loving poo poo. It's American written/created anime that is animated in Japan much like the Boondocks. Hell the creator of this show worked on Boondocks.

It's fantastic so far with fun characters, great art style, and high quality voice acting in both the Japanese and English dubs.

Even though I'm always "sub or die", this show is the exception. Plus, I find it more fitting since the show is created and written by an American so I imagine the original script was in English.

im just waiting for the theme song to get added to spotify

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Righteous Gemstones is great

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

The Righteous Gemstones is great

Hell yeah. I’m glad Edi Patterson is one of the main stars, she was great in Vice Principals. And I didn’t realize Walton Goggins was in this, but I assume that was him with the big white hair in the preview for the rest of the season. The Satanist dude was cool too.

And the credit song was catchy as hell, I love that kind of Jesus music.

edit: I appreciate the equal amounts of male and female nudity too. I guess Danny McBride read all those articles complaining about the lack of dicks on HBO.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 19, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just finished watching the leftovers and hands down that is probably in the top 5 of my favorite tv shows ive ever seen

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Kanine posted:

i just finished watching the leftovers and hands down that is probably in the top 5 of my favorite tv shows ive ever seen

I really hope it comes to Prime or Netflix

All I know about it is the premise and it has Christopher Eccleston so I’m sold

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keith Atherton posted:

i didnt put two and two together that he was doctor who, since im not a fan of that show. so when i watched i didnt even realize he was british until i looked up the imdb for the show. usually im really tuned into british actors trying to do american accents but holy poo poo eccleston does a flawless job of sounding american

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

Isn't it an HBO show?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The new Invader Zim is great. Feels like it hasn't missed a beat since being cancelled. It also retroactively gives weight to some silly absurd jokes from season 2. Mini-moose actually being a super weapon. I was also surprised with the two moments of sincerity peaking through. I was not expecting that in a Jhonen Vasquez project. Specifically Gaz telling Dib she picks on him cuz he can handle it, Prof. Membrane telling Dib he's always proud of him. I'm not expecting any more than this, but if they could maintain this quality, I'd welcome it.

The new Rocko's Modern Life was good, too, and the plot-line of Ed Bighead having to come to terms with his son's transition into being a woman came out of nowhere, but was handled well enough. It's dense with call-backs, some of which were incredibly funny. And it also maintained the gross silly sense of humor that made it work. Kudos to the final gag being the major corporation Conglom-o being shot into space and it's money distributed among the citizens of O-town.

Both Nickelodeon revival specials were great entries into the respective series without feeling like it pandered (except for maybe some parts to Rocko), but the new Invader Zim is incredible.

So, you know, watch it and tell friends and tweet about it and maybe we can get more Zim? Or at least another Jhonen Vasquez show/special?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Isn't it an HBO show?

Yeah, The Leftovers is on Prime, you just also need the additional HBO sub to watch it. I wouldn't count on it coming to basic Prime anytime soon or ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The new Invader Zim is great. Feels like it hasn't missed a beat since being cancelled.

They've been doing an Invader Zim comic for a while now. It's pretty much new episodes of the show but in stills.

One thing I'm glad that they did in the special was tone down Gaz a bit. Gaz during season 2 and in the comic was way too cruel.