Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the same things that make dota so fun to watch are the things that inevitably make the people playing Dota insane pieces of poo poo, I feel like we've had this exact conversation when the Ceb stuff first came out, it's a stupid high-stakes high-pressure game where you have to be on the ball for anywhere between twenty minutes to three hours and one late-game fuckup can cost you everything, I don't know how we solve this, maybe it's something dumb and simple like introducing timeouts during the games, maybe it's something wider in the culture around Dota that will take years of investment to fix, but until something significant happens all your favorite Dota players are gonna be total assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ElNarez posted:

the same things that make dota so fun to watch are the things that inevitably make the people playing Dota insane pieces of poo poo, I feel like we've had this exact conversation when the Ceb stuff first came out, it's a stupid high-stakes high-pressure game where you have to be on the ball for anywhere between twenty minutes to three hours and one late-game fuckup can cost you everything, I don't know how we solve this, maybe it's something dumb and simple like introducing timeouts during the games, maybe it's something wider in the culture around Dota that will take years of investment to fix, but until something significant happens all your favorite Dota players are gonna be total assholes

gh will never be an rear end in a top hat

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This is my first day watching streams is twitch just hosed it's unwatchable?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

This is my first day watching streams is twitch just hosed it's unwatchable?

Seemed fine to me

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

the sound can be, at worst, inconsistent

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Must have been a local thing it's fine now weird.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.twitter.com/EvilGeniuses/status/1162370353433337856

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Is that VG peeps on the other couch in the bg?

e: eg bad bleed blue bitches

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Knowlue posted:

Is that VG peeps on the other couch in the bg?

e: eg bad bleed blue bitches

Hahahh yup! You can clearly see rotk just feeling lost there

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
they just reran the end of OG/NiP game 1 on the main TI stream and holy poo poo it's just as joyous now as it was then

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

notail isn't a saint, he's a flower, jeeze

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Wow Group B standings today are all over the place compared to Day 1 (EG bouncing back, Infamous in the running for Upper bracket, VG taking a bunch of losses from ‘weaker’ teams). VP’s doing their classic “dominate the DPC and then bomb out at TI” performance way earlier than usual, and Navi’s doing surprisingly well.

Also the SEA teams in Group A are lowkey doing really good so far, with both teams in top 4.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, pretty much every single dota 2 pro player is a toxic piece of poo poo at some time. Calling any single player toxic is hypocritical.

They are all racist. They all throw and feed games when they don't get their way. They all look down on players who play bad in their pub games.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ElNarez posted:

they just reran the end of OG/NiP game 1 on the main TI stream and holy poo poo it's just as joyous now as it was then

Game 2 is also worth a watch. OG takes 4-5 deaths within literally 10 seconds of the start, gets like 1? maybe 2? bounty runes from the first set and then maybe picks up 1 or 2 for the rest of the entire loving game, is down more towers and roughly as much gold as in the first game, and then wisp hits 15 and NIP gets obliterated. The wisp/windrunner moment was bonkers and silly, but the second game was just flat-out instant win switch.

It happened in the first, too, but I think the 2nd game was even more black and white

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What happened to Liquid

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

What happened to Liquid

The honeymoon period with w33 ended the moment epicenter ended

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Sampatrick posted:

What happened to Liquid

They kicked toiletbro

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just watched both OG vs NIP games

:swoon:

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

Sampatrick posted:

What happened to Liquid

They kicked a player who could only play 3 heroes for a player who can only play 2.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
at least w33 plays mid heroes

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just getting around to watching the NIP OG games and I'm really having a good time watching the reactions of the casters to the draft.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

which match would be best to watch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

frajaq posted:

Secret game or mineski game tbh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bracket stuff:
-Group A
As it stands right now, the most possible points for last place in group A is 7. Keen can get to 8 and Chaos to 9, but they still play each other so only one of them can max out, and if they split then Keen's max drops to 7. This means that Secret and LGD have clinched at least lower bracket.
Keen doesn't have a game on day 4 and will likely set the bar for elimination after their final set today.
Secret and LGD play in the last set of the day, which could clinch #1 seed for either of them.
Liquid is third to last despite several teams ahead of them playing one fewer set. Yikes.

-Group B
Much like in Group A, the bottom feeders haven't played each other yet, so while the individual max possible points are nine for NiP and RNG, the max possible for last right now sits at 8. This means OG has clinched at least lower bracket.
Unlike group A, though, there's a clear split in the standings between teams that have and haven't missed a set yet. The top four have all played five, and the bottom five have all played four. The biggest pair of teams that this impacts is EG and Infamous. EG has a one point lead on Infamous, but Infamous has played two fewer games.
Oh, and they play each other in the second set of the day :getin:
If you told me that after two days one of the four teams to not get 2-0'd yet would be Na"vi I would have probably asked you what year you think it is.

And this is more just random musing than purely stat based, because there are still a ton of games to play, but I think any team that gets to ten points should feel pretty good about finishing in the upper bracket.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

frajaq posted:

I'd say Secret/TNC or Alliance/Newbee

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Secret game or mineski game tbh

Could be good too. Really Chaos/Keen is the only bad choice there, though with how bad they've both been it might be nice to see them in a game where they don't get slaughtered :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s actually unreal how good Navi is playing right now. It’s really something

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Dendi shared his special secret juice with them.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Robo Turnus posted:

Dendi shared his special secret juice with them.

Is this the liquid extracted from his pudge suit?

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Sheever is to good for dota.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is there a way to see the stats of heroes used/banned so far? or do I just have to wait for the TI to end for some infographic about it to turn up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wow Godz and Lacoste look different

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

frajaq posted:

Is there a way to see the stats of heroes used/banned so far? or do I just have to wait for the TI to end for some infographic about it to turn up?

https://liquipedia.net/dota2/The_International/2019/Statistics

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Wow, Wyvern hasn’t even been picked yet?

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
midone Jakiro :getin:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

rjmccall posted:

Wow, Wyvern hasn’t even been picked yet?

Defensive supports are out, I'd also guess that there's only been like one or less Lich picks

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
after watching the replay of vp and navi I can only imagine the amount of furious swearing that went down during the smoke breaks.
jesus.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
TNC wins this for free if they ever manage to land a soul bind Chrono chain frost combo

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Defensive supports are out, I'd also guess that there's only been like one or less Lich picks

TNC is playing Lich right now but I haven't seen it otherwise

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Is yawar about to lose a game as a deathless AM?

e: he died just as I posted lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Gyro is a questionable mid but CCNC's positioning has been all kinds of poo poo this game