Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Exorcist III is definitely undergoing a big re-evaluation now. It’s not dissimilar to Halloween 3, with a generation of folks coming to the consensus of “hey, just because this is different doesn’t mean it’s bad”

I want this to happen with Psycho 2 next - which isn’t anything like Psycho or anywhere close to as good, but is still really fuckin cool

I think Exorcist 3 suffers a lot from Exorcist 2 and both bad Exorcist prequels existing. "Oh that modern one is poo poo, and the second one sucks, but you should watch the third one!" isn't gonna sway a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new 47 Meters Down is a fun shark slasher at times but there's not enough of that to really make it worth watching.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Everyone should watch and also not watch Human Lanterns. I will also not spoil anything. It's a fuckin ride though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

I think Exorcist 3 suffers a lot from Exorcist 2 and both bad Exorcist prequels existing. "Oh that modern one is poo poo, and the second one sucks, but you should watch the third one!" isn't gonna sway a lot of people.

Amazingly he wrote Legion as a screenplay originally like not long after Exorcist 1 was out, but Friedkin was doing other stuff and Exorcist 2 was happening instead so he turned it into a novel. Then Exorcist 2 happened and they went back to him years later of course after that so he then turned the novel back into a script. But they also wanted to have Exorcist in the name against Blatty's wishes who was adamant it be called Legion like it was titled especially because who the hell would want to see it after Exorcist 2? Then like they pushed to have the exorcism scene shot like a chicken and egg thing of like whelp the movie technically has an exorcism in it now so....and then like a few weeks after it came out they called him and were like huh weird I guess people didn't see it because of Exorcist 2 so weird :lol:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

married but discreet posted:

Shiiiiiit, Human Lanterns y'all!
I randomly stumbled upon this on Prime and the description struck me as odd since I'd never heard of it before.

I watched it and not a single word of it is a lie. I won't say anything about it except that it's insanely dope and you must watch it right now.

Watching it now. I swear, you guys get me watching some of the most out there stuff. No regrets though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My wife just got home and I gave her a rambling, 15 minute long summary of Human Lanterns and I don't think she believes me.

Edit: I was gonna finally watch Hereditary because I like John Cusack and I heard it's a good movie and...that isn't John Cusack on the cover for the movie. I've been seeing that cover on Prime forever and thinking, "good for you John". God drat I'm dumb.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 17, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know if Shudder works over VPN? (I'm using Nord) After a lot of browsing, I think it's safe to say I've exhausted Netflix's catalog of English language supernatural horror films in both America and my region, so I need to find other ways to get my fix.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Does shudder still work with chromecast? The icon disappeared from my iPhone app recently and I’m not sure what happened

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Thermite posted:

Does shudder still work with chromecast? The icon disappeared from my iPhone app recently and I’m not sure what happened

Not sure but it just recently got taken off of VRV, which sucks because I could watch that on my ps4.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is ma good, the plot looks uninteresting as hell but i love octavia spencer and am willing to sit through it if shes good in it

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
She's good in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in hindsight i dont even gotta ask the womans a national treasure

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Exorcist 2 is good. There would be no bad Exorcist movies if not for the whole Renny Harlin debacle.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gejimayu posted:

Not sure but it just recently got taken off of VRV, which sucks because I could watch that on my ps4.

God damnit why?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Exorcist 2 is good. There would be no bad Exorcist movies if not for the whole Renny Harlin debacle.

Even though it's a bad movie, the circumstances of it are totally fascinating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Exorcist 2 is fascinating to watch and imo is an absolute must watch for how it plays out but I don't think I could ever call it good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I couldn't believe how bad the Renny Harlin movie was. Dominion isn't incredible but I liked it fine and it's noticeably better overall. It's a shame that its eventual release was lower budget so it didn't have the Vittorio Storaro's full impact on the look of it though. Exorcist: The Beginning is dogshit but it at least looks really nice at some points.

The TV series is absolutely excellent though so I'd say this is still a pretty high quality franchise or whatever overall though so it's worth seeing everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never seen any of the Exorcist sequels (besides the show, which was great) and I really want to watch them tonight now.

I'm trying to pace my horror watching for the next few weeks so I don't burn out in October. Have a big challenge plan and don't want to hurt that.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I had an October plan but then I got bored and started watching the movies I was gonna save

If I run out of stuff I had earmarked I'll just grab a vine and dive into Tubi's archives Princess Bride-style and let that carry me through the challenge

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I've never seen any of the Exorcist sequels (besides the show, which was great) and I really want to watch them tonight now.

I'm interested to see your reactions due to how the show imo really captured the "voice" of elements from all of the movies in some obvious homage ways but also in cooler small ways that added to it imo even without knowledge of the movies. I'm so sad it was cancelled.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

STAC Goat posted:

I'm trying to pace my horror watching for the next few weeks so I don't burn out in October. Have a big challenge plan and don't want to hurt that.

Watch Exorcist 3 now and also rewatch it in October, you won't regret it!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Thermite posted:

It does yes, that’s how I use it. I just checked my app and it’s still there. I’ve had the icon disappear before too, restarting the Chromecast and my phone fixed it (also in other apps, I think it’s a Chromecast problem and not specific to Shudder)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I apologize for making someone's personal problems public like this, but old school goon, cancer rear end-kicker and Horror Discord regular Timby is facing eviction in the coming week if he doesn't get 915 US dollars. The discord's been very generous and has already raised over half the money he needs, but I figure some of y'all who only post on this dead comedy forum might want to contribute as well.

His paypal is tbrechlin "at" G-mail. Do let me know if you donate so I can update the gaudy donation meter. Even 5 bucks can make a difference. If you're just broke and can't help at all, don't feel bad, the point is to prevent misery here, not spread it around.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Lurdiak posted:

So I apologize for making someone's personal problems public like this, but old school goon, cancer rear end-kicker and Horror Discord regular Timby is facing eviction in the coming week if he doesn't get 915 US dollars. The discord's been very generous and has already raised over half the money he needs, but I figure some of y'all who only post on this dead comedy forum might want to contribute as well.

His paypal is tbrechlin "at" G-mail. Do let me know if you donate so I can update the gaudy donation meter. Even 5 bucks can make a difference. If you're just broke and can't help at all, don't feel bad, the point is to prevent misery here, not spread it around.

5 bucks sent!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Popelmon posted:

5 bucks sent!

Thanks dogg.

If anyone doesn't want their donation to be public just PM me or message me on Discord, I'll update the tally without mentioning you.

E:

:O

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 18, 2019

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm watching the movie The Visit, about halfway through so far. So far the movie's doing alright but man the dialogue exchanges between the kids are really dragging me out of the experience, christ almighty. The younger youtube rapper (?) boy is trying to bust out jokes every other scene like he's shooting for a tight five stand up set while the older documentary girl has the astute foresight of a woman in her late twenties. Also she is not going to be a loving camera tech wiz and film prodigy at her age, are you kidding me. They really should have worked out the script a bit more for these parts cause teens do not talk like this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hot take™ incoming: M. Night Shyamalan has, quite literally, never made a good movie. His entire filmography ranges from hot garbage to mediocre.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

hot take™ incoming: M. Night Shyamalan has, quite literally, never made a good movie. His entire filmography ranges from hot garbage to mediocre.

Devil has that amazing toast flipping scene and that's art.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm in for 5.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 18, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm in for 5.

We're officially 2/3rds of the way there! :toot:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Lady in the Water is flawed as hell but I still think it's really compelling and interesting

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Visit is dope!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Paul Giamatti complements the sleepy atmosphere and just owns

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

married but discreet posted:

The Visit is dope!

Hell yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen all his films but I will agree with the others that some of them are at least interesting failures. It's not like James Wan where I literally forget the movie as I'm watching it, some Shyamalan things stick with me, whether it's dialogue, scenes or just a weird shot. Even when it sticks with me in a bad way like some of Mel Gibson's acting in Signs, it's at least kinda interesting.

Also:

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 18, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Stuart Little 2 :colbert:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

M Night has more hits than misses

I will proudly stand up for The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Visit

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted:

M Night has more hits than misses

I will proudly stand up for The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Visit

The Village is trash not because of its "what a twist!" ending (though that doesn't help) but because the central romance is loving awful and makes no sense, and the characters are written terribly. As a movie, even if there was no twist and it was just "there's another 1700s town over there with medicine" it's a bad movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Least Favorite: 47 Meter Down. Boring and annoying. Teased as a shark movie but sharks barely show up and when they do it’s retconned immediately.

Favorite: Mandy/US though I admit there could be a ton of recency bias going on.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 18, 2019

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

TheKingslayer posted:

Devil has that amazing toast flipping scene and that's art.

I'm in for 5.

I sent over £10 so whatever that translates into, I'm not on the discord as im on GMT and i figure it wouldn't be very active when I'm awake but hopefully he's got his target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

The Village is trash not because of its "what a twist!" ending (though that doesn't help) but because the central romance is loving awful and makes no sense, and the characters are written terribly. As a movie, even if there was no twist and it was just "there's another 1700s town over there with medicine" it's a bad movie.

I bought into the central premise of the adults being damaged nincompoops who learned all the wrong lessons from their individual traumas

At our screening, based on the noises the crowd was making, I'm pretty sure my sister and I were the only people in the room that liked it