Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

Look if you guys can post Darnold incompletions as highlights ITT, at least indulge us in the "Allen goes whole preseason quarter without airmailing a short route".

The first throw in that video was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Professor Funk posted:

Darnold is good though, and Allen is bad :colbert:

Your posts My posts This whole thread's posts are bad :colbert:

Josh Allen however is cool and good.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

Maybe this is just a weird sample but I didn't expect Bills fans to be this all in on their QB who can't throw the ball. I expected at most cautious optimism. You guys know how horrible a thrower of the ball Allen was last season right?

Well perhaps Bills fans have a more nuanced take then that he's just a big dumb lummox hurling boulders.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We should spend more time talking about the real best non-Brady QB in the East: Fitzmagic, who won't even be starting:

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNFL/status/1162548934025199616?s=20

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

torgeaux posted:

We should spend more time talking about the real best non-Brady QB in the East: Fitzmagic, who won't even be starting:

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNFL/status/1162548934025199616?s=20

I'd like a team to start Fitzpatrick for the first 3 games of a season and then when he goes to start the 4th game a shepherd's crook materializes and pulls him back into the locker room.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I imagine that's exactly what's going to happen with the Dolphins this year, only replacing the crook with a full body cast

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think the Dolphins should trade Fitzpatrick for whatever they can get.

Rosen looks like he can give you similar play to Fitzpatrick at least, and if you've got that why bother with the redundancy? If Rosen can't play the whole season, just eat poo poo with Rudock. Fitzpatrick coming off of the bench and giving you one of his 3-4 game hot streaks risks a situation where you've got both not enough info to make a good decision on Rosen, and get you out of prime draft positioning for a QB.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
No one's trading for Fitz.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

tarbrush posted:

No one's trading for Fitz.

I've heard rumors to the contrary, such as it is.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I guess taken it if you can get it. Can't see which team would actually be worth trading for him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Josh McCown was just signed.

A team also reached out to Dan Orlovsky and he turned them down.

We could get a 7th for Fitz.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Fitzpatrick is valuable as a backup quarterback and the Dolphins still need someone competent under center in the likely event that their line gets Rosen killed.

I know they're tanking but it'd be impossible to evaluate other positions when they're forfeiting every game by starting whoever the gently caress Jake Rudock is.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Hadn't read this thread in a while, surprised to see 300+ posts, excited to read all the AFCE news only to find out it's McMagic being insane, people telling him he's insane and him going "no, u"

Shine on you crazy diamond. Jets are going 8-8 this year.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Mcmagic was right
Mcmagic is right
Mcmagic will always be right

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Hadn't read this thread in a while, surprised to see 300+ posts, excited to read all the AFCE news only to find out it's McMagic being insane, people telling him he's insane and him going "no, u"

Shine on you crazy diamond. Jets are going 8-8 this year.

I like how you're ranting and raving about how nuts I am and then you say the jets are going to go 8-8 when i said they would win between 7-10 games. INSANITY!!!!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

mcmagic posted:

I like how you're ranting and raving about how nuts I am and then you say the jets are going to go 8-8 when i said they would win between 7-10 games. INSANITY!!!!

You're a loose cannon mcmagic.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

*Mcmagic, dragging the fresh corpse of Jarvis Landry into the room*

You SEE???? I told you he wasn’t going to produce this year. You called me CRAZY

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Things heating up in the AFC East thread. Who gets to be second place king of the turd pile lol

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1162153706143567872?s=19

Allen looked good in that game against the panthers though. There's no reason he can't become a good pro quarterback and he definitely looks improved from last year. Darnold also has looked good this preseason

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Play posted:

Things heating up in the AFC East thread. Who gets to be second place king of the turd pile lol

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1162153706143567872?s=19

Allen looked good in that game against the panthers though. There's no reason he can't become a good pro quarterback and he definitely looks improved from last year. Darnold also has looked good this preseason

The reason he won't is that QB's who complete passes at the non-professional rate that he does, just don't get magically better.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You’re right, it won’t be magic.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Welp better hope Darnold's 57% qualifies as a "professional rate" then.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

You’re right, it won’t be magic.

It’ll be McMagic.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Stafford and Luck both had completion percentages under 55% their rookie years and turned out well. The rest have been mostly trash.

This is not a stat that is indicative of basically anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Welp better hope Darnold's 57% qualifies as a "professional rate" then.

57% is pretty typical for a rookie QB actually. 52% is typical of guys who are out of the league a few years later.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rookies are obviously going to improve their accuracy, except guys below this arbitrary line

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
They're both going to be terrible/injured because the AFCE is a well of despair

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Did you know?

Both Josh Allen and Sam Darnold accounted for 18 touchdowns, but Darnold turned the ball over three times more. Troubling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Rookies are obviously going to improve their accuracy, except guys below this arbitrary line

I like the ignoring that this guy has never been able to accurately throw the ball through his college as well as pro career, something that didn't apply to Darnold, but you just assume that he's going to magically get better.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Darnold played in the PAC with five star recruits at every skill position and competent coaching. He’s certainly a more accurate passer but put him on Wyoming with future insurance salesmen as his weapons and coaches and see what happens to his numbers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Darnold played in the PAC with five star recruits at every skill position and competent coaching. He’s certainly a more accurate passer but put him on Wyoming with future insurance salesmen as his weapons and coaches and see what happens to his numbers

This is a bullshit excuse. Other QBs from small conferences complete 64+% of their passes and worse skill position players are only one side of the coin. The DB's and pass rush is also better in the Pac 10 then what QB's at Wyoming face.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Or, like, Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I remember when we used to argue who would be the best franchise QB: Henne or Sanchez

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I just watched the Buttfumble video again. Still hilarious

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

When you draft a QB in the first round and they are a bust, it sets your team back like 5 years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

The reason he won't is that QB's who complete passes at the non-professional rate that he does, just don't get magically better.

this is so insanely dumb that it isn't even worth responding to, but I'm also insanely dumb so I guess I will

first year players almost always raise their completion rate in their second year and beyond
josh allen had the highest intended air yards in the ENTIRE nfl last year, which would cause a veteran to complete less passes much less a rookie on a lovely team
the entire team was plagued by drops and there was NO ONE to throw to. a lovely UDFA that may not even make the team this year was their best receiver
bad offensive line meant a lot of throws under pressure and throwaways
completely fresh out of college and had no conception of how to read nfl defenses or do any number of things that he is now learning
an example: jared goff went from 54% his first year to 62 his second and 64 his third

as usual mcmagic your arguments lack subtlety and any actual understanding of the game of football

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Play posted:

this is so insanely dumb that it isn't even worth responding to, but I'm also insanely dumb so I guess I will

first year players almost always raise their completion rate in their second year and beyond
josh allen had the highest intended air yards in the ENTIRE nfl last year, which would cause a veteran to complete less passes much less a rookie on a lovely team
the entire team was plagued by drops and there was NO ONE to throw to. a lovely UDFA that may not even make the team this year was their best receiver
bad offensive line meant a lot of throws under pressure and throwaways
completely fresh out of college and had no conception of how to read nfl defenses or do any number of things that he is now learning
an example: jared goff went from 54% his first year to 62 his second and 64 his third

as usual mcmagic your arguments lack subtlety and any actual understanding of the game of football

You are taking in dumb generalities. Yes they typically improve, but not from a base as low as his and for a guy who wasn't able to throw accurately in college. Jared Goff's college Comp% was 8 points higher than Allen's was. Also, the reason his comp % was low last year wasn't because of drops, (the bills were in the lower half of the league in drops last season.) It was because he's just not an accurate thrower of the football.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This is a bullshit excuse. Other QBs from small conferences complete 64+% of their passes and worse skill position players are only one side of the coin. The DB's and pass rush is also better in the Pac 10 then what QB's at Wyoming face.

It’s not bullshit when you consider the nature of his skill set and what he was asked to do. He’s still relatively raw and needed to heroball every game, whereas in the league he’s had the luxury of being able to develop a more well rounded game.

When he goes out and improves his accuracy to ~60 this year it won’t be some inexplicable fluke, it’s because he’s a talented player with an entire franchise’s resources dedicated to improving that aspect of his game.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

I remember when we used to argue who would be the best franchise QB: Henne or Sanchez

This is different, this time we're talking about a guy with a cannon arm versus a pro-ready guy from USC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It’s not bullshit when you consider the nature of his skill set and what he was asked to do. He’s still relatively raw and needed to heroball every game, whereas in the league he’s had the luxury of being able to develop a more well rounded game.

When he goes out and improves his accuracy to ~60 this year it won’t be some inexplicable fluke, it’s because he’s a talented player with an entire franchise’s resources dedicated to improving that aspect of his game.

This isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This isn't going to happen.

I’m sure when it does, you’ll cite how it’s a deceptive figure, and not representative of his lack of quality