Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Hell even though the war isn't finished on the novels, the flash forward bits with the investigator definitely point to the Empire losing in the end anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

again, it doesn't, because the point is 'ok yea you took the city but everyone loving hates you, your army is wrecked, your nation is weaker for it, and the people you're occupying will never forget how you did this, grats on the pyrrhic win you sure showed those french who's boss'. The nazi propaganda is that it would have been good and cool and germany would have been stronger for it, all things the show and light novels disagree with.
And yet none of the actual consequences of that are shown. She's shown as the person making hard choices that the cowards above her are unwilling to. Thus resulting in greater victory that a Germany with even the slightest amount of realism could ever hope for. Every single setback has come from cowardly politicians right out of a conservative military wank book.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's unrealistic in ways that just so happen to line up with the fantasy world Nazi propaganda claimed existed.

Here's another major thing thing you're missing, the fact that, despite Tanya steamrolling everything she has figured out that things are just going to end the same way they did in real life, so congrats

Germany winning WW1 through aggressive heroics was an impossibility. To pretend otherwise is going to always be playing into Nazi propaganda.

The impossibility is noted, "Germany" is still going to lose, and the story isn't pretending otherwise! Hooray! Your complaint is solved, it's not in fact nazi propaganda because the author actually has views aligning with you! We can all be friends!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes and given how the entire rest of the show has been I'm sure it will be the result of her being sold out by traitors within the not-German government. Birth of a Nation still had the south lose the Civil War.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yes and given how the entire rest of the show has been I'm sure it will be the result of her being sold out by traitors within the not-German government. Birth of a Nation still had the south lose the Civil War.

Well OK the discussion is over, we can table this question until the show has ended. Do you want to toxx yourself on this or are you just full of hot air?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sure :toxx: against taking the wehraboo at their word.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

so could one make a movie or series about the history of the Peasant Republic of Dithmarschen and its as the most pro-communism story ever written to the point of ending with an anachronistic Red Army Chorus singing the Soviet national anthem, but it would still be pro-Nazi because the Battle of Hemmingstedt was used by the Nazis as propaganda

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't watched Mandalore's Pathologic reviews (I actually still need to play the first game), but I think fans of the series are happy, since his review seems to have boosted the game up onto the top-selling chart

https://twitter.com/CuteMutePrude/status/1163023170003263488

Sure :toxx: against taking the wehraboo at their word.

I'm having trouble following a lot of this discussion, probably because I haven't read or watched this series (which ANN describes as 'God reincarnates Japanese salaryman into little girl to fight in war'), but I don't really understand what you're arguing against at this point. What I gather is that you're upset that even though the author denounced Nazis, he wrote a story that touches on things that would align with notions of how Nazis might have won WW1. However, everyone else has made it sound like the manga/show tries to show that the character's actions are not a good thing.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tanya is 'a monster in the form of a little girl', as even the ending of the first season shows with her speech. She even puts insubordinate soldiers under her command into a situation she knows will eventually kill them, as the second video shows.
Her monstrosity and the knowledge that she will be struck from history by all sides is what drives my interest in the series, as a 'what the hell will she do next+what did she do to get erased from history' sort of deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of1sQgFtqVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kc14JGsqDQ

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 18, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Neither of those clips really endeared me to the show. In all honesty it really just makes me wish that there were more anime with intriguing premises that didn't have to then slap a mountain of anime chaff concepts on top of things. Make a show about WW1, sure, but I could do without the "also the protagonist is a little girl and there's magic" point. Or that Fire Force show. I heard about a show about firefighters and I though, hey that could be cool, and then naturally they had to make it an action show where the firefighters have to battle supernatural flames and people spontaneously combusting into demons, and my interest plummets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't watched Mandalore's Pathologic reviews (I actually still need to play the first game), but I think fans of the series are happy, since his review seems to have boosted the game up onto the top-selling chart

https://twitter.com/CuteMutePrude/status/1163023170003263488

watch his review. he doesn't spoil anything but he also says, get 2 instead of one since 2 is basically a remake and such. i'll buy it on console at some point.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or that Fire Force show. I heard about a show about firefighters and I though, hey that could be cool, and then naturally they had to make it an action show where the firefighters have to battle supernatural flames and people spontaneously combusting into demons, and my interest plummets.

That sounds cool as hell

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sounds like a Burning Rangers anime

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

sounds like a Burning Rangers anime

Andrast posted:

That sounds cool as hell

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or that Fire Force show. I heard about a show about firefighters and I though, hey that could be cool, and then naturally they had to make it an action show where the firefighters have to battle supernatural flames and people spontaneously combusting into demons, and my interest plummets.

wait the what now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That sounds gloriously over the top.

I want a crossover of that and fahrenheit 451

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I would not even class "Fireforce" as a firefighting show. I was kinda bummed about it too.

But I'm still watching it, becaise I thought was neat on it's on merits - especially the worldbuilding with the "fireforce" being a meld of firefighters, busniess, the army, and the settings church.

And I also have all of Emergency! if I need actual firefighter/paramedic action - covering current day topics like "vacvinate your drat kids" and "don't be racist assholes to your co-workers".

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Fire Force is cool but it's based on an Atsushi Ōkubo manga, which means it regularly features the sexualisation of teenagers (more blatantly so than other shonen anime). And unlike what Bones did with the Soul Eater anime, Studio David doesn't appear to be interested in toning things down from the source material on that front.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's disappointing to me because it feels like a lot of the shows I'd like to see made wouldn't be made if they didn't have a marketable premise to appeal to the crowd of people in Japan who won't watch a show without a cast under the age of 20 and some fantastical magical element to it. Those are fine on their own but when it is so prevalent it puts me off more often than it entices me.

I mean, that Vinland Saga show looks rad as hell, but I'm hesitant to dig deeper because I have a bad feeling there's going to be some ridiculous magic element or some obnoxious, precocious child character who shows up as comic relief and gets in the way of a story that, from the visuals, looks to be trying to tell an authentic Icelandic Saga, which could be really cool seeing a japanese interpretation of such subject matter.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 18, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Vinland Saga is based on a long running manga and in its 14 years it hasn't had any kind of magic/fantastical elements or anything like that. Although the series does have a twist in that a good chunk of the way through the story the main character's revenge plot gets derailed and he completely renounces violence.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

watch his review. he doesn't spoil anything but he also says, get 2 instead of one since 2 is basically a remake and such. i'll buy it on console at some point.

The thing is that I did buy the original Pathologic, so I feel obligated to play. Howevers, If there are no spoilers, then I'll give his videos on both games a watch, and that might prompt me to play the first one or just go ahead and skip over to the second one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, that Vinland Saga show looks rad as hell, but I'm hesitant to dig deeper because I have a bad feeling there's going to be some ridiculous magic element or some obnoxious, precocious child character who shows up as comic relief and gets in the way of a story that, from the visuals, looks to be trying to tell an authentic Icelandic Saga, which could be really cool seeing a japanese interpretation of such subject matter.

Vinland Saga is certified Good Stuff and entirely down to earth, ultraviolence notwithstanding.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tanya the evil isn't an alt-right fanfic but its also not very good

Fire Force has a fun concept but in execution (in the manga) it's kinda boring and the main character isn't terribly interesting. It is getting a good adaptation as far as how it looks though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vinland Saga was made by the same guy who made Planetes, which was a hard sci-fi series that went out of its way to be as realistic as it could be

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Look if all of you are going to watch teenagers with fantastic elements, you should just watch Natsume’s Book of Friends instead. :colbert:

...ok yeah it’s not an action show but rather a story of an abused orphan getting friends and getting better, but it’s good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The difference is that something like Fire Force runs in a magazine for younger boys while Vinland Saga is aimed at an older demo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bah, the Hobbit Duology didn't win the Hugo. :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leal posted:

That sounds gloriously over the top.

It's by the Soul Eater dude, although sadly he seems to care somewhat more about his setting not being so pants on head crazy as Halloween To- er, Death City. At least as of yet, maybe it goes gleefully off the rails in the comic.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 18, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bah, the Hobbit Duology didn't win the Hugo. :smith:

I feel like the form is still too new to be sorted properly by awards. Fan fiction as a concept just won this year. At least nazis didn’t ruin this one, although I hope Lindsay and Chuck Tingle have the chance to do a team-up one day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's by the Soul Eater dude, although sadly he seems to care somewhat more about his setting not being so pants on head crazy as Halloween Town. At least as of yet, maybe it goes gleefully off the rails in the comic.

In the comic the main character's power eventually gets so strong that he literally goes faster than light.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

I'm looking forward to this. It feels like Lupa's content has been in a rut since the second flare up of Change the Channel. Hopefully this and some Baywatching will give her channel the shot in the arm. I get that online drama can get out of control, and it must be super draining, so some nice solid content, getting back to what she's good at might be nice.

Jack has grown on me, I don't get why people don't like him - he was good with Rich Evans on Previously Recorded, and he's a good foil to the core Mike/Jay/Rich group on Best of the Worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Just buy now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldMemes posted:

Jack has grown on me, I don't get why people don't like him - he was good with Rich Evans on Previously Recorded, and he's a good foil to the core Mike/Jay/Rich group on Best of the Worst.

People hate Josh, not Jack. Jack is cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even Orcs as they're presented are kinda vague on the inherent evil thing, given that they're implied in most notes to be artificial constructs. Given how little of Orcs are seen beyond their military roles, it's hard to say if the Third Age era orcs even apply to that artificial "tortured elf" idea anymore, or if they're a functioning society of their own. Cruel and violent, absolutely, but like most servants of Morgoth or Sauron they're said to serve out of fear rather than devotion.

It's rather interesting because, as you said, Tolkien felt regret afterwards, but it does give an interesting reading of the other races. Tolkien elves are a fair bit nicer than other fantasy elves but they're still capable of great anger and hubris, just as Men are, and they hunt the orcs to extinction in the Fourth Age, which seems like some severe overkill even for someone like Tolkien.
Oh see when they mentioned Tolkien and inherently evil races the weird flesh golems that are Orcs didn't even come to my mind so much as the :siren:swarthy and dark:siren: men of the East and South who had basically always been in service to the Dark Lord without the need for foul magics or corrupting.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

OldMemes posted:

One reason that people are hesitant of liking Jack is because of the gently caress Bot 5000 character.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

People hate Josh, not Jack. Jack is cool.

I also don't know why people hate Josh.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Been rewatching a lot of Best of the Worst lately and here's my hot take that no one asked for: Jack is good. Josh is good. Macaulay Culkin is good. The Canadians, Jim and Colin, are good. Max Landis is bad.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Josh is probably my favorite among the “main cast” i especially love the jay and josh re:views

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghostlight posted:

Oh see when they mentioned Tolkien and inherently evil races the weird flesh golems that are Orcs didn't even come to my mind so much as the :siren:swarthy and dark:siren: men of the East and South who had basically always been in service to the Dark Lord without the need for foul magics or corrupting.

Even those men are questioned about whether they are truly evil. Faramir has that great moment where he questions whether a man from Harad was truly evil at heart, and what lies he was told that took him so far from home when he could have stayed there in peace. Even after thousands of years and an nearly two Ages living under the shadow of Sauron, there is enough ambiguity to argue that the men of the east are not inherently evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even those men are questioned about whether they are truly evil. Faramir has that great moment where he questions whether a man from Harad was truly evil at heart, and what lies he was told that took him so far from home when he could have stayed there in peace. Even after thousands of years and an nearly two Ages living under the shadow of Sauron, there is enough ambiguity to argue that the men of the east are not inherently evil.

Glad the movies took all that ambiguity and threw it out of the window.