Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

sigma 6 posted:

Oh - I am in for the map round BTW. Hopefully won't wait until the last minute to turn in this time.

Just don't do a map of eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Keetron posted:

Just don't do a map of eyeballs.

Don't give me any ideas. Might make some kind of optometrist's anatomical chart. Or some kind of survey of eyeballs. Hm. Nah - I think I have a vague concept of what I am going to do.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2019

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Sedgr posted:

Solenna: I really liked this entry and I'm imagining I've seen this book at the local library. It's been sitting on the shelves since 1974 and I can practically tell the color of the aged pulp paper from that era. I think it's something about the green textured look, sets a pretty specific timeframe in my mind. That single open eye pulls focus really nicely. I'd maybe remove the texturing from the text to make it stand out a bit more but it all works pretty well as it is.
I am so happy to hear that, because it was exactly the look I was going for! (this is one of my books at home I used for reference) I never quite figured out a text look I was happy with, no texture looked like it didn't fit the rest of the picture, but I understand about making it stand out too.

And I'm in for the maps prompt too, tweaking childhood to more along the lines of baby to toddlerhood

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

sigma 6 posted:

I don't know if it was intentional or not but the style and font here REALLY reminds me of the Orson Scott Card books. Ender's Game or Speaker of the Dead etc. Nice work.

Thanks! I was indeed attempting a John Harris style painting/cover, he did both of those. He always nails a sense of delicately suspended mass and vast scale, his work rules. I feel like he should trademark those smoke/vapor plumes that make no sense in space, but are just too juicy to leave out.

ALSO! Declare today to be sure of a crit. You can still enter if you don't declare on time.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm going to have to bail on this challenge - I've hosed my wrist and unless it improves real fast I ain't doing any inking before the deadline. :(

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

oof, see you on the next one, lofi.

:siren:Submissions for the map challenge due tonight at 23:59 PST:siren: That's 2:59am EST.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It's not looking like I'm going to make the deadline on this one. I struggled to come up with a concept and as a result ended up starting way too late. I am a garbage person and I apologize.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

starmap, all done in krita

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I've done some outdoor climbing in the past, and I have a toddler, so now I have an ages 0-3 sport climbing topo map.

Since it's a pretty niche thing, here are some legends and symbol guides, and two topo maps that I have actually used.
https://imgur.com/AJgvHzK.jpg
http://www.oocities.org/summitcorock/pictures/topoguide.jpg
https://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=395812&confirm_post=12
https://www.summitpost.org/rock-gardens-topo-2/392550/c-392116

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Solenna posted:

I've done some outdoor climbing in the past, and I have a toddler, so now I have an ages 0-3 sport climbing topo map.

Since it's a pretty niche thing, here are some legends and symbol guides, and two topo maps that I have actually used.
https://imgur.com/AJgvHzK.jpg
http://www.oocities.org/summitcorock/pictures/topoguide.jpg
https://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=395812&confirm_post=12
https://www.summitpost.org/rock-gardens-topo-2/392550/c-392116

This took me way to long from "You really wanna 3yo to climb a 5.11a?? Hell, there is no route here that a child can climb, are you insane?" to "Wait, the names are somehow related to babies." to "There is an actual flow in the names." and the last one I only noticed when typing these comments.
So now I read the map better and noticed there is an actual relation to the routes, how they flow, what you encounter and the names. Reason for me saying this is to tell the judge(s) this is a pretty smart map that excels in simplicity and cleverness. (I used to climb a decade ago until the accident in 2012 (I had kids and crashed my motorbike breaking bones, never got back up on the wall after recovering))

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Artdome 5: Make a Map Results and Critique

This gets more interesting to me the longer I look at it. I see the four stars are reflected or mirrored, I see the same pattern in the glowing map. There's a story/mystery here. But what's the bright horizontal streak, and the things scattered below? A breaking wave, and flotsam on wet sand? A distant crater rim (or storm), and cities on a frozen lake? The galactic disk, and massive ships? But then what's making the reflection? I'm looking for clues in the green map, tracing lines between the stars according to their Roman numerals(?), trying to work out if the sequence points to something, or if the reflection does, or if they do together, or if there's hints in the lines in the green map. Which is great, I'm engaged! But the overall looseness and abstraction is preventing a payoff - I don't know the scale of the scene, I don't know where we're looking from, and besides four stars(?) and their reflections(??) I don't know what I'm looking at, so it's hard to even make a guess that feels justified. I definitely get a subdued and lonely mood, and I'm drawn in to the frame, I want to know where our disembodied hand is and what they're trying to find out by consulting the map. I'm ok with there not being a definite answer, but the loose brushwork (and/or a missing detail that would add another bit of context) is juuuuuust keeping this back from being satisfyingly ambiguous.

:siren:Winner!:siren: Mapping childhood challenges and milestones to climbing routes is totally unexpected, but it's a well realized metaphor, and the left to right sequence makes complete sense. The concept is strong, and the visual is understated and authentic. I also appreciate that this can be a map from either the perspective of the parents, or of the kid. The individual routes are well named and rated (first bowel movement, easiest one there!), and I definitely get that there's some meaning to what obstacles appear where on each route, although I'm not a climber so there's probably some subtlety I'm missing. I love the monotony of learning to roll over, though. And the diverging paths of breast or bottle feeding. The "I just did it in MS paint" look works great for this sort of utilitarian representation. The only things I'd change would be to really dial in the exact metaphors/jokes along each route - I was so, so sure that the feature on route 3 was going to be a groove or crack! The title has me imagining the other, later maps in this set - First Day of School has got to be a rough route on Topo #2!

Well done to both of you, two very different but engrossing interpretations of the prompt! Congrats Solenna, I'm excited to see what you come up with for the next round.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thank you for the critique

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Thanks! I didn't even think of there being two ways to read it until you pointed it out, and I totally see that now. I haven't done outdoor climbing since my kid, I'm a total gym rat now.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Artdome 5: Make a Map Results and Critique
:siren:Winner!:siren:
:words:
Well done to both of you, two very different but engrossing interpretations of the prompt! Congrats Solenna, I'm excited to see what you come up with for the next round.
Thank you so much! Being able to mash two of my hobbies together was a fun change. And aaaaaaaaaa dammit a crack on problem #3 would have been brilliant. Some of the obstacles were on purpose, boob and bottle diverging but ending up in the same place was on purpose, but some was just what looked good on the picture. I intentionally made Peeing in the Potty the longest and most difficult, with a bunch of roofs to climb over because I am so goddamn sick of cleaning up pee.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

:siren:ART PROMPT:siren:
A small bit about the written word: one of the coolest things about humanity is our ability to use metaphors, and read deeper meanings into what would otherwise be simple and straightforward descriptions. You can evoke feelings and images without ever directly stating what you're talking about. Descriptions can mean things other than what they're actually literally describing. Well I say enough of that nonsense, it's time to take things incredibly literally, whether it's a common turn of phrase, a product/business name or a childish insult.

Does someone have a couple screws loose? Better get the Robertson screwdriver. Or Phillips if you're an American I guess.
Is that guy a complete dickhead? Get ready to bust out the :nws: tags, it's penis time
Cool Ranch Doritos? Sounds like an Arctic Dorito farm.

Taking descriptive words and phrases incredibly literally is another broad prompt, but a lot of phrases and descriptions are super weird when you think about them.

Declare by August 26 (you don't have to say what words you're using but you can if you want)

Deadline Sept 4 SEPT 8! so you have two weekends!

Solenna fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 23, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Grats on the win, I love that idea. What difficulty scale is that in, I only know fontaine. gently caress yeah I'm in for the new challenge - mostly recovered is good enough, and this sounds fun!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Grats on the win, I love that idea. What difficulty scale is that in, I only know fontaine. gently caress yeah I'm in for the new challenge - mostly recovered is good enough, and this sounds fun!

Had to look them up myself: https://www.guidedolomiti.com/en/rock-climbing-grades/

With English being my second language I cannot participate in the coming challenge, unless someone can point me to a list or something?

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Keetron posted:

With English being my second language I cannot participate in the coming challenge, unless someone can point me to a list or something?

I'd say look up a list of English idioms, turns of phrases or metaphors and look up what they mean, while also looking at what the words mean literally. For instance, phrases like "having a few screws loose" both means you're not quite right in the head but since it uses the object of screws, it can be read as literally meaning you got loose screws that need some tightening.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'll be out of town for a good chunk of the next two weeks so getting art done will be tough. I may :toxx: myself on the following prompt to make sure I finish it though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

drat - I totally let time get away from me and missed the map prompt. Also will in a wasteland with no phone or internet connection until September 4th or so... so... missing two in a row. :(

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Keetron: if there's something in your first language that fits go for it! It might need a little explaining but that's no big deal.

Everyone else: how about I bump the due date back to the end of Sept 8, give it another weekend. I'd rather wait a little longer and have more art!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m down if that’s the case.

Also: :toxx: Mods make me pay :10bux: if I don’t submit anything by the Sept 8th deadline.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

That would be great.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Solenna posted:

Keetron: if there's something in your first language that fits go for it! It might need a little explaining but that's no big deal.

Everyone else: how about I bump the due date back to the end of Sept 8, give it another weekend. I'd rather wait a little longer and have more art!

Yeah, that would work, I am in and I really love the idea of doing one from my own language that will make no sense in English.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

English makes no sense in english half the time, so it'll fit in just fine.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm going to give this a go. Wanted to do the maps, but had an inspiration fail.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

"...Police are still attempting to track down the escaped killer known only as Game Face. Residents are advised..."

The more I thought about the phrase 'game face' the clearer it became that it could only be referring to a slasher villain who wears a mask made from skinned animals.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dang, that’s a good one. Nice work!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks! It was the first test of my DIY large-format scanner, and it seems to work great! (The original is A3)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Behold: Beschuit met muisjes!

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beschuit_met_muisjes
https://www.iamexpat.nl/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/strange-and-funny-dutch-traditions-beschuit-met-muisjes

This was a lot of fun to make, looking forward to the next prompt.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Those sound delicious - does it literally translate as 'biscuit with mice'? Your mice are cuter, but I think the aniseed ones would be tastier.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Those sound delicious - does it literally translate as 'biscuit with mice'? Your mice are cuter, but I think the aniseed ones would be tastier.
Yes, that is literally what it says. The Dutch are peculiar about their sprinkles and bread toppings.
It (the muisjes) is so tasty that as soon as I lived as an adult and could make my own rules I bought it *without* having a baby and ate it in the dark to mask the absence of the baby while having Beschuit Met Muisjes! The Dutch here will understand. (basically, you cannot have it when not having a baby, it is simply Not Done).
There is also a version called Gestampte Muisjes, which translates into Crushed Mice but that would be to gruesome a picture. Background: the creator of the pink/white muisjes found out some elderly folks without teeth would crush the muisjes so they could have it and he, being the good business man he was, just used a mortar and pestle to pre-crush them for those folks. It is basically aniseed flavoured powdered sugar. Huge bliss to huff.

Now for anyone that is like "I NEED TO HAVE THIS" send me a PM and I will create care packages worldwide, including a roll of beschuit. You will need to fetch your own butter.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Just got back from the desert and I heard there was another war.

I made a map. Not sure if it is the right one though.

Which dome am I in?

"Soldierboy wears his heart on his sleeve."

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 10, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Execution is more than a bit rough, sorry; I ran out of time to do more than colour in my starting outlines.

Beach Bums

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Just over a day left, and this is all great so far!

:swoon:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hurray! No re-reging for me!

Robin Hood

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i didn't declare for this one but i had a moment of inspiration thinking about it the other day.

bloodshed:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

T-minus a couple hours! Though I'll have to decide after work tomorrow

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Hurray! No re-reging for me!

Robin Hood

I like this one.

Had a few ideas but this drat alpaca brought me some lunch and then I just forgot what was punny anymore.

EDIT:

Talking Head

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 9, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sigma 6 posted:

I like this one.

Aw thanks! :3:

quote:

Had a few ideas but this drat alpaca brought me some lunch and then I just forgot what was punny anymore.

EDIT:

Talking Head

I like these as well! Which one is your official entry though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Wanted his suit to be black with a better TV.

If that's not cool then go with that drat alpaca.