Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lmao who gives a poo poo about DIA, what are you getting DIA'd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lmao who gives a poo poo about DIA, what are you getting DIA'd?

ih i would nebver actually do it, i mean reasonable as in not trying to shove them down my loving throad

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hello, I just put a deposit down on a 2010 Honda CR-V. Single owner, garaged, so clean, no accidents. Mileage: 81,000 Price$9,700 talked down from 11,000 at a Honda dealer. Issue: I was kind of looking for a rav4, 2010 or 2011. The issue was I couldn’t find one that wasnt in piss poor shape and at ~10,500. The two rav4s I drove were both 12 asking and felt under-serviced with issues like broken ac’s and weird alignment issues . I like the crv enough, but I see it has a slightly worse reliability score on consumer reports. Not so sure about its awd in the snow compared to the rav4 either.

I’m pretty set on that crv because it was in such immaculate condition.

Edit: I did ask one of the rav4 guys to come down to $10,000 and he told me to get lost

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 17, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what makes you think the rav4 is better in the snow than the cr-v? it's virtually the same system.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what makes you think the rav4 is better in the snow than the cr-v? it's virtually the same system.

Aka poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its perfectly fine for most use cases that dumb suburbanites have for their CUVs

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah the whole "well what's the ramp travel index on that CRV you casual" thing is getting pretty old.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've owned a jeep and a subaru and both were awful.... which snow vehicle floats your boat?

Edit: I should add the usage case is a Vermont grandma, I myself drive a Miata in the snow.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 17, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The CR-V and RAV4 of that era have essentially the same consumer level AWD system that 90% of the cars on the road have that are equipped with AWD and its fine for helping with light off road or snow.

The only systems that are better are jeep 4x4, real trucks, and maybe subaru or audi AWD. But really its going to be fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My wife wanted AWD and we got it and it’s probably been used 2 times in 4 years

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Modern tires and traction control systems do such a good job, that awd is simply a marketing gimmick for vast majority of consumers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I forgot we have a sloped driveway and it’s helped get out of that a lot when there is snow. So there.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I took you guys' advice and bought the car my wife liked the most, which turned out to be the Forester. Thanks for putting up with literally years of this nonsense. Now I can buy whatever dumb van/truck I want for myself.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nitrox posted:

Modern tires and traction control systems do such a good job, that awd is simply a marketing gimmick for vast majority of consumers.

OTOH, if you are Canadian or live in the NE, have a job that requires you to come into work regardless of weather, so you have to drive on unpaid roads 5-10+ times a year after heavy snowfall, its pretty important.

That being said 99% of people that want it don't need it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ethanol posted:

I've owned a jeep and a subaru and both were awful.... which snow vehicle floats your boat?

Edit: I should add the usage case is a Vermont grandma, I myself drive a Miata in the snow.

Put snow tires on it in the winter and it’ll be fine. Ex Vermonter if that makes any difference in the validity of my opinions.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AWD definitely makes a difference, but most drivers dont have the skill to make it count. Proper tire selection and maintenance is way more important. I dd a civic all year round in snowy Canada with no problems but my 2wd rally car still gets regularly beat by awd subies, Mitsubishis and Audi's because having 3 or 4 driven wheels just straight up gives better traction control, especially when paired with an ecu that assists the differential. But I'd agree the common consumer will see little benefit from AWD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’d argue that awd is somewhat useful for your average poo poo driver because it will help them get unstuck in more situations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The AWD system in the Subaru was absolutely a lifesaver in Vermont. There are time periods where the road will not unfreeze for a week or more, and this is when the car proved to be extremely capable. Directly comparing to my wrangler when I had it, I choose the Subaru because it easily handled better in weather. The problem is the Subaru was completely destroyed by rust, on a level I’ve rarely seen on any car even in Vermont. On top of that it had endless mechanical issues. Now I’m sure some Subaru’s are fine and rust is tricky for all cars here, but the other members of my family are 100% against Subarus now, and still demanding AWD. I know we can’t match that system, and I’m too far to help diagnose and fix any car issues anymore so I’m just putting them in something they want that I hope is a little more reliable than a forester and then stuffing snow tires on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CR-V with snows will be capable and reliable.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

get an awd 4runner

e: oh yeah you were looking at cr-v vs rav4 right? Their awd systems, wheel base and weight distribution look pretty similar, and both builders are reputable manufacturers of reliable cars so of those 2, pick the one you like the look/feel of the best?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly having fwd vs rwd was enough to get me around rural northern Michigan, my friends with 4x4 never hardly bothered to engage it anyway

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The new rav is noisy as gently caress but you can probably get a deal on a low trim awd I test drove one and they were offering decently good deals before I'd even shown interest in pricing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is it a bad idea to post links to the dealer ad? There are some flags that concern me. The first is prefaced by saying every $10,000-12,000 rav4 and crv drove differently from one another. In many the ac was broken and the suspension was broken in some way.

The crv I have put in paperwork for was clearly garaged, because out of ten or so it’s the first car I even found without a scratch or single spot of rust, anywhere, not even on the wheels, which was prevalent in these cars. The car looks brand new in and out, and looks meticulously maintained. The one issue I noticed was a slight vibration in the wheel only when turning slow speeds and frankly I’m not sure if I was being hypersensitive. Probably gonna drive it again right before signing just to be sure

The other issue is that there are no records in the Carfax of this car being worked on anywhere, ever, for anything except yearly emissions at a state inspection station. The dealer hasn’t done anything to it because they say it’s immaculate and needs nothing. It’s an 8,000 mile a year car with one owner and no accidents. It clearly was maintained and given it has running board and the brakes felt new...I’m inclined to believe it was an elderly couple who kept it in a garage. I’m guessing that means a local shop that didn’t report for the worked.

Anyways it drove frankly great and simply can’t ask for more in terms of exterior and interior condition. I drove a 105k mile rav4 yesterday in the meantime and it was in rough shape like all the other cars.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 18, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What is preventing you from buying this CR-V? As far as I can tell it’s some nebulous conception that the rav4 is more reliable, which it isn’t in a meaningful way.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I just found that AWD made snow more fun in Minnesota. How useful this is depends on how many empty parking lots or frozen you have near you.
I never got stuck with Nokians on my FWD VW or my AWD Subaru. Though I did actively seek out unplowed roads in the subaru because I was in my earl/mid-20s and was dumb.

Note, however, that for most people, not being able to move in lovely weather is a good thing. It always amazes me how, I someone who ice raced and poo poo, drove less stupid on public roads (parking lots do not count) when covered in ice and snow than people in fwd cars strung together with twine.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ethanol posted:

Is it a bad idea to post links to the dealer ad? There are some flags that concern me. The first is prefaced by saying every $10,000-12,000 rav4 and crv drove differently from one another. In many the ac was broken and the suspension was broken in some way.

The crv I have put in paperwork for was clearly garaged, because out of ten or so it’s the first car I even found without a scratch or single spot of rust, anywhere, not even on the wheels, which was prevalent in these cars. The car looks brand new in and out, and looks meticulously maintained. The one issue I noticed was a slight vibration in the wheel only when turning slow speeds and frankly I’m not sure if I was being hypersensitive. Probably gonna drive it again right before signing just to be sure

Have you driven a Honda similiar to that year before? It might just be more of a drivers car and you aren't used to a steering wheel with some feedback. Especially if you are comparing it to a Toyota which has some of the least steering feel 2nd only to Buick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

How the gently caress are you finding mainstream cars that cost that much that have broken poo poo? At that price no CR-V or RAV4 should have anything significant broken.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zapplez posted:

Have you driven a Honda similiar to that year before? It might just be more of a drivers car and you aren't used to a steering wheel with some feedback. Especially if you are comparing it to a Toyota which has some of the least steering feel 2nd only to Buick.
I hesitate to call it a drivers car, but yeah I think it's just some very minor vibration don't need to worry about. I did drive several other 2010 CR-Vs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What is preventing you from buying this CR-V? As far as I can tell it’s some nebulous conception that the rav4 is more reliable, which it isn’t in a meaningful way.
Not much, should be taking ownership sometime this week

IOwnCalculus posted:

How the gently caress are you finding mainstream cars that cost that much that have broken poo poo? At that price no CR-V or RAV4 should have anything significant broken.

Admittedly went to too many weird used car only dealers from cargurus.com.

The CR-V I choose is at a honda dealer like where I had luck buying my other cars. Haven't done any private sale looking because I don't want to deal with normal people.

Anyways, definitely going with the one I found.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 19, 2019

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Hi, I need some extra feedback so I don't impulse buy something I want instead of something I don't need. I am in Europe- Belgium to be more precise. And I am about to start a new job and for the last 6 years I have driven company cars with very little input as to what for models I can get. My last car was a pretty sweet BMW 4 series 418 grand Coupe but its out of my budget and I wouldn't want to buy a EURO5 rated car. Budget is around 14500 EUR. I am looking for a used car because the new ones in that range are pathetic and I also believe that new cars are a waste of money.

So what I need is a Euro 6 rated car preferably diesel because I drive a lot , almost 200km round trip for work with various family holidays to Spain, Germany, Sweden etc. I also prefer a larger car compared to smaller because I have never been in a situation where I felt my car was to big -unlike when it has happened it has been to small (IKEA shopping).

Models I have been looking at is the Golf Wagon, the Skoda Octavia wagon/combi, The Honda Tourer (station wagon) and the Seat Leon ST. There are also some french cars within the budget
such as the Renault Megane and the Peugeot 308/508 SW but I have always had trouble with French cars. I put a limit on max 60 000 km driven for a used car so it takes away some options like a Volvo V60 or a 3-Series BMW tourer with EURO6.

My current favorite is a Seat Leon 1.6 diesel with 30k km driven and a pretty high spec. I don't drive fast and need something economical but at the same time I spend a lot of my time in cars so it needs to be comfortable and not horrible to look at. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I might have overlooked? The Seat only has 105 HP , is that too little? You do pay road tax in Belgium based on the size of the engine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Leon is good. If you do a ton of motorway driving I might prefer the Golf as it’s a little cushier, but the important bits are the same.

You aren’t overlooking anything major other than the Koreans and the new Fiat Tipo/Egea. I like the Tipo but it’s typical fiat - high value, a pretty good drive, but questionable reliability, cheap to fix though.

Edit when you say you drive a lot, how many km a year? I’m reminded of the saying “in America 100 years is a long time, in Europe 100kms is a long way.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Leon is good. If you do a ton of motorway driving I might prefer the Golf as it’s a little cushier, but the important bits are the same.

You aren’t overlooking anything major other than the Koreans and the new Fiat Tipo/Egea. I like the Tipo but it’s typical fiat - high value, a pretty good drive, but questionable reliability, cheap to fix though.

Edit when you say you drive a lot, how many km a year? I’m reminded of the saying “in America 100 years is a long time, in Europe 100kms is a long way.

Thanks for the answer.
I really just want a dependable , good looking car. So Fiat like the French feels like a gamble. I have never seen someone driving a Fiat and felt wow - that car is perfect for me :)
Only car I like from the Fiat family is Alfa Romeo Giulietta but I think they are to small for me.
I can probably do something like 40 000 km a year so diesel is still the answer for my driving needs. I was reading something about problems with cam chains /belt for WAG cars but I don't even know what the model I am looking at has for type.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you are going to have to replace parts on a car, that's just a fact of driving 40,000kms a year.

i am not aware of any issues on the EA288 family for timing belts. Just stay on top of the belt and tensioner and follow service intervals precisely. EGR valves occasionally require replacement but this is true of all modern diesels. The 150hp 2.0 returns virtually identical fuel economy in the real world, especially at 130km/h+ so look carefully at your tax savings because that is going to be the only financial advantage.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Super newbie question as last time I bought a new car I financed through Honda proper...

I have pre-approval from a local Credit Union on a great auto loan rate and I will be to buying a 2019 Forester this week. Do I need to agree on a specific VIN, get paperwork filled out, get the bank check, and then close out with the dealership before I can take ownership of the car and drive it off the lot?

If i was the dealer my thought would be "yes" but the banker couldn't tell me and I can't find anything online...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crazyweasel posted:

Super newbie question as last time I bought a new car I financed through Honda proper...

I have pre-approval from a local Credit Union on a great auto loan rate and I will be to buying a 2019 Forester this week. Do I need to agree on a specific VIN, get paperwork filled out, get the bank check, and then close out with the dealership before I can take ownership of the car and drive it off the lot?

If i was the dealer my thought would be "yes" but the banker couldn't tell me and I can't find anything online...

JFC, call the credit union and demand to speak with someone who knows the loan product you were pre-approved for.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, they need to earn your business here. Otherwise just use their offer as leverage on the dealer for them to match or beat and provide you with a better experience.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or just open a savings account at Pen Fed like all the other compulsive car buyers. You don't even need to pretend to have a pretextual connection to the military any more.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

powderific posted:

I can only speak to Lexus, but for cars that have a Toyota equivalent, most of the major things are interchangeable. Our GX470 is basically a 4Runner premium and the chassis, engine, transmission, 4wd system, most of the other running gear, are all the same. Our LS430, on the other hand, has an engine that’s only in Lexus vehicles in the US and is mostly its own thing. Luxury cars will have extra interior bits and doodads that can be more expensive to fix or replace. For example, the LS430 has a goofy mark levinson sound system that needed an amplifier replaced and it was like $700, and the upper lumbar seat motor seems to be burned out and I’m not sure I even want to know how much that is if I have it fixed for me (used part doesn’t look too bad though.) The GX470 has 196,000 miles on it though and hasn’t needed anything Lexus specific fixed.

The LS430 engine is the UZ family, which 4.7 liter variants of exist in the trucks of the same era.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

Or just open a savings account at Pen Fed like all the other compulsive car buyers. You don't even need to pretend to have a pretextual connection to the military any more.
I'm sorry, what's the benefit of that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I'm sorry, what's the benefit of that?

If you throw $50 into a savings account at Pen Fed, you're eligible to get loans from them. They do car loans up to $100k and their rates are generally really good. A bunch of car YouTubers use them for all their financing.

https://www.penfed.org/auto

They're also big enough that they know what the hell they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'll recommend lightstream if you have good credit and income as well. Their rates will be randomly competitive, but if you have that whole good credit and income thing going for you it's the most painless loan you can get. They'll basically just throw money in your account with no questions asked. I'm on my second unsecured used car loan with them now.