Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Inso's Law has been pretty entertaining. It's a Korean webtoon about a girl who wakes up one morning in the world of a web novel she read the night before, except her life outside of where it interacts with the WN characters is exactly the same so it takes her a while to catch on. Dan-I is pretty annoyed by the situation, and not at all interested in playing the role of "MC's childhood friend" or really being involved in the typical WN-style events at all so she tries to avoid everything, which of course doesn't work very well. It's pretty early on yet, but I find it amusing that so far the presumed MC is the one most obviously romantically interested in her, and most of the male leads seem to be enthusiastically wingmanning for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

doomrider7 posted:

Mom one is pretty decent and funny, though it's not isekai.

https://mangadex.org/title/37253/mo...with-his-mother

I think the dragon mom might secretly be an isekai hero. It would explain why she makes so many modern cultural references.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fenrisulfr posted:

Inso's Law has been pretty entertaining. It's a Korean webtoon about a girl who wakes up one morning in the world of a web novel she read the night before, except her life outside of where it interacts with the WN characters is exactly the same so it takes her a while to catch on. Dan-I is pretty annoyed by the situation, and not at all interested in playing the role of "MC's childhood friend" or really being involved in the typical WN-style events at all so she tries to avoid everything, which of course doesn't work very well. It's pretty early on yet, but I find it amusing that so far the presumed MC is the one most obviously romantically interested in her, and most of the male leads seem to be enthusiastically wingmanning for her.

I feel like a lot of jokes rely on "wow this name sounds so outlandish and silly in Korean; why is no one else even batting an eye?" though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think the dragon mom might secretly be an isekai hero. It would explain why she makes so many modern cultural references.

That would be spectacularly awesome.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Clarste posted:

I feel like a lot of jokes rely on "wow this name sounds so outlandish and silly in Korean; why is no one else even batting an eye?" though.

The writing does lean on that a bit, yeah. I don't know anything about Korean so I only picked up on 3 (school's name, the one guy's name, and the historical allusion/"joke" of Dan-I's name), and only the school name wasn't explained either in the story or in a translator's note. If there's more I've missed or forgotten, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the comic so far; I just take it as a weirdly specific expression of the "WNs aren't remotely realistic, living in one is super weird" meta-joke.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Elfface posted:

That was a fun arc for Balud triumphing by doing nothing. "So, you sent me to strengthen relations with this country and help them sort out their brewing succession war... Well good news! My tomboyish friend and the effeminate prince fell in love, and her skills neatly compliment his weaknesses. Uh... I did something with boats, as well?"

Balud hardly did nothing. The issue was that neither the 2nd Prince (son of the 2nd Queen) nor the 3rd Prince (son of the 1st Queen) wanted the throne, yet both were supported by factions willing to bring the kingdom to civil war. The military faction wanted to use the 3rd Prince as the puppet boy king, and a portion of it was willing to attempt assassination on the 2nd Prince, thereby drawing retribution against the 3rd Prince by the 2nd Queen and her influential family.

Balud's contribution was convincing the 2nd Prince that the only way to safeguard his relationship with the foreign mid-ranking Teresa was to take the throne, lest his mother assassinate her in order to confer him a more suitable candidate. But simply making a claim for Crown Prince was dangerous, because the 2nd Queen becoming a powerful Dowager Queen was a threat to the life of the 3rd Prince and his family and the kingdom's alliance with a nearby island kingdom. Therefore Balud convinced the 2nd Prince to go to his mother's family and convince them that in exchance for their support and their noble privileges, they would cut back on his mother's power.

Balud's other contribution was in order to make the military switch support from the 3rd Prince he would win them a great naval victory against the pirates. This was of particular importance to Balud's kingdom because it was land-locked and needed an alliance with a naval power to trade its valuable isekai'd goods. That way, all the factions would be united under the 2nd Prince, allowing the 3rd Prince to grow up in peace to become the Crown Prince's right-hand man.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Took rec for Isekai Tensei Soudoki. Was fun read. Very pleasing to see prince girl and princess boy -should I spoiler these?- have a sweet happy marriage. Also somewhat refreshingly honest that MC just goes and kisses his first girlfriend and still goes and proposes to his other girlfriend, though I am disliking that she is his maid and basically former babysitter

Actually thinking about it a bit more, the honest part I enjoyed was he actively went and kissed her. gently caress the harem poo poo in its entirety, shrewd merchant doggirl 4lyfe

booksnake fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 14, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Balud hardly did nothing.

Balud did plenty, he protected his chastity.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

the joke there is that Urraca has a fetish for older men, and she fell for Balud because he let out the old man warrior personality to fight the requisite bad guy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Freeter Got a new chapter. Tanaka is now aware of what is actually happening to him and can't prove any of it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So this is slightly tangential to this thread (it should go in the web serials thread in Book Barn, but I need to stop forgetting to check it out), in that the author is a Western writer instead of an Eastern one, but I still think there's people here that would be interested too.

I was reading some trashy Kindle Unlimited stuff that eventually lead me to a site I probably should have already been aware of and came across There Is No Epic Loot Here, Only Puns while looking around. A girl from our world is plucked from the Abyss and offered a second chance from some creepy cosmic child in exchange for her name. She accepts and wakes up as a dungeon core and chooses a new name of Delta, based on the number 4 she can see inside her sphere. She decides she doesn't want to become a murderhole dungeon and things start to go wacky, especially thanks to where she's located: near the village of Durence. Originally founded in a place empty of mana, Durence is a place where people good, bad and everything in between or otherwise can go to forget who they were and fade away into old age. Filled mostly by the weird and exceptionally powerful, the inhabitants of Durence start to come back to their senses thanks to Delta bringing mana back to the area.

It's a largely silly story, with the villagers being very eccentric (there's a cheese elementalist, a fire wizard that wants to burn down the world tree but is currently stuck as Durence's Peacekeeper, a half demon huntress that just wants to laze around and fish, a druid that likes to take care of the most dangerous plants, and so many more), the monsters with their own personalities and specialties and Delta herself breaking the system in weird ways, usually unintentionally, but there are a few things going on that keeps the story moving forward. Delta was offered a second chance and placed where she was for a reason, just like there's a reason she has the number 4 in her core. The original founders of Durence, now the town's elders and likely the most powerful members of an already ridiculously powerful group of people, settled here for their own reason. There's also an ominous corporation that exploits dungeons to make money in a rather unpleasant manner, and while they haven't shown up yet it won't be much longer.

I found it a really fun read, and even immediately went back to skim through most of it after catching up. I would mention that just in case you hate puns, there actually aren't as many as you'd expect considering they're specifically called out in the title. Delta likes them so they do pop up a bit, but I haven't found them overdone yet.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Space battles is a pretty good place to go read stuff.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Space battles is a pretty good place to go read stuff.

Sufficient Velocity has most of what spacebattles does fiction-wise and is a better place in general, I find.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

there's a cheese elementalist
That idea sounds gouda to me, consider me sold.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

so a quick question, Is Bakarina the one where she throws snakes at some bad guys?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Half-right. She throws snakes at one of the game's love interests, as practice for if she ends up in one of the bad endings for her and needs to escape from him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the snakes are googly-eyed puppets she made.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Elfface posted:

Half-right. She throws snakes at one of the game's love interests, as practice for if she ends up in one of the bad endings for her and needs to escape from him.

Maybe its a different one, I remember them using a slingshot or catapult to launch snakes at bandits, but I could be going nuts.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ossan Boukensha Kein no Zenkou is kinda dumb but I'm on board for now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Things I like about it:
-MC is an older guy
-It's not isekai it just has game elements like party ranking and quests
-MC is genuinely low-ranked and doesn't appear to be overpowered or even that skilled (so far anyway, and I hope that doesn't change since the whole thing is kinda based on that premise)
-It's not gross with the fanservice

Things I'm not wild about:
-Harem (at this point all the girls orbiting around this one guy is more of a gag but it's still a harem)
-He seems very clueless and doesn't have a lot of agency -- yes, the S-rank party that keeps manipulating events to get him into trouble is operating secretly and are also way more powerful than he is but if he just keeps bumbling along only reacting to things and having no perception that some weird poo poo is going on then I'm probably going to lose interest

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

I've recommended Isekai Tensei Soudouki before but I'm going to recommend it again. It didn't end or anything, it's just really good.

Also it has good faces. Not as good as 'Actually, I am...' but still good.

Oh my: That "Crazed warrior that loves the poo poo out of a good scrap" face. It's such a fun face to watch, whether as a static image or in motion. The best ones are often fleeting, one or two panels/a page at most, even if the character is downright a psycho and then you don't see them for a while. Like, part of the reason I sometimes follow some artists on the web or watch series is that they get one or two expressions down to a science.

These two pages in particular gave me strong vibes harkening back to Toyohisa and old man Nobunaga from Drifters, big time practitioners of the "CWTLTSOOAGS" face.

Again, you probably have a point that they're not as good as Truthism/My Monster Secret/Actually, I am..., but they can be so darn fun.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Ossan Boukensha Kein no Zenkou is kinda dumb but I'm on board for now

I'm loving it

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I wasn't too sure about this manga but the second chapter has definitely sold me on it. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Shield Heroine
Maple and Sally continue their fight with the giant bird boss. And the admins get in a tizzy when they defeat their "impossible" boss

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The disgraced(?) Champion Scans is now rebranded as Project Time Scans. Relevant because Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is finally being translated by someone again.

I like how the Usato is becoming more and more like Rose.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Of all the fantasy isekai played relatively straight, Wrong Way is probably my favorite. The main character picks up connections and a place in the world really quickly, so it doesn’t take long for it to become a pretty straightforward fantasy story with good character building. It’s hard not to like Rose.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Onean posted:

I was reading some trashy Kindle Unlimited stuff that eventually lead me to a site I probably should have already been aware of and came across There Is No Epic Loot Here, Only Puns while looking around.

Thanks for this recommendation, I spent my entire weekend just laughing over this. Excellent writing and highly recommended.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I found a pretty good one that I haven't spotted here before. Ascendance of a Bookworm.

Mangarock link since this series on mangadex has a large hole in the middle of it: https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-19056

Some good points:

1. It's quite realistic for a fantasy isekai setting. There's some magic and fantastic plants involved but mostly it involves middle and lower class medieval townies trying to scrape by. Most everyone is filthy, their clothes suck, their lives mostly involve peasant tasks, and they spend a lot of time and effort getting ready for winter, by doing the previously mentioned peasant tasks.

2. Despite that it's not as joyless as it might sound. The main character leverages her otherworldly knowledge to bring some mild relief and small amounts of extra money into the lives of her friends and fam. No one is a dick just to be a dick and her relationships are fairly warm and cozy.

3. She's not particularly OP though and in 28 chapters hasn't even SEEN a noble yet which is pretty refreshing.

4. Possibly most important of all, there is actual decent dramatic tension going on, which is perhaps even more shocking that it is for a normal isekai manga because there's basically no combat whatsoever.

Check it out imo it's pretty dang good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nrook posted:

Of all the fantasy isekai played relatively straight, Wrong Way is probably my favorite. The main character picks up connections and a place in the world really quickly, so it doesn’t take long for it to become a pretty straightforward fantasy story with good character building. It’s hard not to like Rose.
That this story can take many things I usually dislike about isekai stories specifically, and make them interesting and inoffensive, is a huge draw to this. Take Usato casually throwing his own magic like a baseball. In another series I can imagine that this would be a moment where the writer would wank off the main character's connection to baseball from the real world and/or have characters drool over how innovative the idea of throwing magic is. Instead it's a bit of a joke that he could do it and that's the end of it. Main character is stupid strong relative to everyone else? He spent months being put through hellish training by his amazonian mentor. One of the heroes has no concerns about going home? She actually admits it's a bit uncomfortable for her to so easily not care about seeing her family and various social circles again because she's always felt out of place. Even the discrimination towards healing mages has a bit more logic to it than just an arbitrary trend to help the MC seem more outstanding.

It's still a very basic story but like you said, it's hard not to like Rose and that applies to Usato and most of the cast. There's just a good vibe to this story even when it gets serious. It's legitimately one of the few isekai I still follow solely because while it's not doing anything special it's doing what it does well and it remains engaging. Nack however made a deal with the devil. I look forward to his suffering training.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I found a pretty good one that I haven't spotted here before. Ascendance of a Bookworm.

It gets recommended a lot, people really like it around here. I haven't read it personally, but I hear good things.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

khy posted:

It gets recommended a lot, people really like it around here. I haven't read it personally, but I hear good things.

I read the the 2 LN, and one of things i liked was that for the first half the main character is pretty weak/sick and she doesn't see anything that would be out of place on historical earth, but she hears stories of weird fantasy plants/ect from kids her age and is not sure if they are just stupid kids or if there is really weird stuff going on.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

khy posted:

Whoops my bad then! I deffo second the positive impressions though.

ianmacdo posted:

I read the the 2 LN, and one of things i liked was that for the first half the main character is pretty weak/sick and she doesn't see anything that would be out of place on historical earth, but she hears stories of weird fantasy plants/ect from kids her age and is not sure if they are just stupid kids or if there is really weird stuff going on.

Yeah there's that one plant with the fruit all the kids like specifically that got a chuckle out of me. In the manga there's an EXTRA chapter that shows its a real thing and not Lutz just talking poo poo.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 19, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, it's easily my favorite one; I'm reading through the WN in Japanese and am at... Chapter 240 of 700. Once she becomes a noble, things do NOT get any easier the way they are for other isekai nobles, because all her ideas, and in fact, her mere existence, have large political implications.

khy posted:

I recommended it directly at you the other day when you were asking for recommendations! It ticks every box you were looking for back then!

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 19, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'll have to admit I passed on it when I first saw it because the cover makes it look rather generic, but thanks people for recommending it again and making me check it out. I'm just halfway through the manga and I'm already hooked, it's got some great storytelling.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Argue posted:

I recommended it directly at you the other day when you were asking for recommendations! It ticks every box you were looking for back then!

I won't lie. The premise... sounds boring. That's why I've been reluctant to check it out.

HOWEVER!

Since everyone keeps recommending it I do plan to take a look at it, right after I get caught up with Itai no wa Iya nanode Bougyo-Ryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Since that's only got 12 chapters I should be caught up soon!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Timeslipped into Sengoku Era got an update. In which we find out the victory condition of this Total War: Shogun campaign. :v: I'm liking Shizuko as a protagonist so far. Her reason on why she's so receptive to her knowledge spreading around is both altruistic and pragmatic. She knows she won't live forever and there's a chance other factions will want to kill her, so she wants to make sure others can still continue and improve on he teachings. It feels nicer than other isekai where heroes bring knowledge of their world since them being the only source of knowledge makes it feel like the entire thing would collapse once they're out of the picture.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Faraway Paladin has a new chapter :toot: The new companions seem fun.

I was thinking about this while reading it, but Will's travels into the wider world are almost like a second time getting isekai'd -- he has powers that are inexplicable to the people he meets, he's completely ignorant about basic stuff everyone living there knows, and he can't explain his origins because no one will believe him.

He didn't have to die and get reborn or fall into a portal though he just walked north a few miles lol

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

amigolupus posted:

Timeslipped into Sengoku Era got an update. In which we find out the victory condition of this Total War: Shogun campaign. :v: I'm liking Shizuko as a protagonist so far. Her reason on why she's so receptive to her knowledge spreading around is both altruistic and pragmatic. She knows she won't live forever and there's a chance other factions will want to kill her, so she wants to make sure others can still continue and improve on he teachings. It feels nicer than other isekai where heroes bring knowledge of their world since them being the only source of knowledge makes it feel like the entire thing would collapse once they're out of the picture.

Thanks for recommending this, it's an enjoyable read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
The WholesomeHorror Isekai Wakusei Closet has started updating again!