Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BMB5150 posted:

I think they can race at Pocono but the cars need a hansford device like thing to allow some drafting.

please no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Indy's safer barrier is quite a bit taller, the catch fencing is actually maintained instead of being haphazardly ziptied together, and the straights at Indy don't encourage 7 wide running before funneling down to a 1-groove corner.

I think Pocono could still be raced, but the circuit and perhaps the series need to invest significant money into a refresh of the catch fence and doubling the height of the safer barriers, at least mid-corner to a ways down the straights, to prevent this wall climbing.

And probably none of that is going to happen because it's perfectly safe for NASCAR, which makes them way more money. Hence they should just leave.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pocono road course

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Go back to Milwaukee instead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

Go back to Milwaukee instead.

:hmmyes:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

It's counterintuitive but at least in the draft they can be chill on lap 1 and not have to make divebomb moves that Sato and Wickens pulled for track position and end up wrecked.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Pocono bad. Looking forward to Gateway tho.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Robin Miller said in one of his recent mailbags that there's virtually no chance of another race at Milwaukee. So if you heard loud sobbing coming from western PA, that was me.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Michigan or Fontana would be nice, maybe Kentucky, lower banking on a 1.5mi might make for an interesting challenge

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my point is that indianapolis isn't any safer than pocono

It's kind of a dumb argument though. As the Indy 500 is a much more prestigious race than Pocono. But also, Indianapolis is a safer track and Pocono has had a pretty bad few years with IndyCar, I can't see a real argument for why they would keep trying to race there.

Although it is crazy Sato is going to get some serious angry fans and press for a move that probably would have worked if he waiting an extra second or two to make it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
We shouldn't be racing at tracks where the punishment for a bad move is cars going into the fence. It just happens at Pocono a lot due to it's uniqueness.

When you've had like 5 or 6 races now and 3 of those have had someone die, someone end up with life changing injuries, and Felix being one rotation from being a corpse, it's hard to argue for it being on the schedule.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I remember after last year people were talking about building the wall higher and coming up with all sorts of other solutions for the fence problem and it just... never went anywhere. Like, they did literally nothing about a dangerous portion of the track that everybody knows about. It's that kind of poo poo that kills drivers. Dixon, before the race, said he felt kinda bad for Pocono, since they've had so many terrible incidents lately. I don't share his empathy for a facility that refuses to make safety improvements.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Still mad about the 10 lap penalties on Rossi and rhr

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/1163262642217279488

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Fans at Indy 500 time : OMG Sato No Attack No Chance!!!! :3:

Fans for Pocono : Sato is a danger and must be banned

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm the random turns on the front stretch of the track map on Sato's overlay

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty sure that's a trace of his actual line, the path of least resistance is to let the car keep turning left a bit at the beginning, to minimize scrub, probably was also covering the inside line into 1

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

CactusWeasle posted:

Fans at Indy 500 time : OMG Sato No Attack No Chance!!!! :3:

Fans for Pocono : Sato is a danger and must be banned

firmly still in the former camp

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/ItsMichal/status/1163224305519538176

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Here is my analysis: they’re crashed and everyone was ok.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Well drat, those new videos do make it look like Rossi moved up rather than Sato coming down on him. The combination of steering correction at the end with the seam in the video make it appear to be less squarely on one driver’s shoulders. I apologize to all the Takuma Satos I hurt with my swift blaming.

Cygni posted:

Here is my analysis: they’re crashed and everyone was ok.

Yeah, I’ll be surprised if Sato eats a penalty over this, since it’s unclear whether or not this was simply a racing incident, with nobody in particular to blame. Sato and Rossi remain two of my favorite drivers either way.

Also gently caress Jimmy Hinch and his whining rear end. ERRYBODY KNOWS YOURE JUST MAD CUZ MCLAREN DONT WANT YOU DRIVIN THEIR CARS

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Reynold posted:

Also gently caress Jimmy Hinch and his whining rear end. ERRYBODY KNOWS YOURE JUST MAD CUZ MCLAREN DONT WANT YOU DRIVIN THEIR CARS

I'm mad about this too, to be fair.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Reynold posted:

Yes.... yesss.....

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Why doesn't Indycar just go back to Nazareth?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Isn't nazareth like, abandoned and awful and poo poo?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

big nipples big life posted:

Go back to New Hampshire instead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Peanut President posted:

uhhhhhh its kinda gone

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Didn’t Mario Andretti do a walk around Nazareth for his 50th Anniversary documentary? The place was hideously overgrown and no longer suitable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Didn’t Mario Andretti do a walk around Nazareth for his 50th Anniversary documentary? The place was hideously overgrown and no longer suitable.

He did, and yes. The only way in which it is not dead is that it hasn't been completely bulldozed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Okay well if they can't run Nazareth can they run Trenton?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Okay well if they can't run Nazareth can they run Trenton?

you're a cruel man

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Look, I think it's a fun track! Sorry!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

run langhorne you cowards

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Replace Pocono with a staggered-start entry into the Silver State Classic. Closest to the target time wins.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

run binghamton, the best race track to ever grace the east coast of the united states

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Raise them up a bit and put dirt tires on them and run Eldora.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pikes Peak

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

okay but unironically, fontana, but not when it's ten thousand degrees

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Spaced God posted:

Can't. Jay Frye is easily frightened by months starting with "O".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Spaced God posted:

I 100% support running Pocono and Fontana every 3 years as a Triple Crown with 33 cars.

But if 22 can't keep Lap 1 clean, there's no way that 33 could do it without someone dying