Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://youtu.be/EKIK5ei_Lhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
can they please give Maeve a good wig for season 2

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

And for all the criticism Zack Snyder (rightly) gets, he's a master of doing the music scene, which is fitting as he started as a music video director.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shneak posted:

can they please give Maeve a good wig for season 2

Yeah I looked up the actress and she's got really thin hair. You could tell throughout the season when her wig was shifting behind the tiara. Sometimes it would be shifted too far right and you saw her skull.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Maeve's weird. She came off actually genuinely sweet to Starlight, but people in the show talk to her like she's the 100% done-and-jaded version of her that's in the comics.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Maeve's weird. She came off actually genuinely sweet to Starlight, but people in the show talk to her like she's the 100% done-and-jaded version of her that's in the comics.

I think that's a consequence of taking too many lines from the comic without checking to see if the context really works. Like the "just make your snide backhanded comment and go" scene between Starlight and Maeve is straight from the comic and here it just felt like Starlight wasn't giving her a fair shake.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I see the Waldorf and Statler phase has begun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I am on Episode 5 and I really cannot wait for more of these assholes to die.

And like Titans, Umbrella Academy and a bunch of other streaming stuff, its really obvious that its Toronto. God drat Roy Thompson Hall is the base of the Voight building.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Man I am on Episode 5 and I really cannot wait for more of these assholes to die.

And like Titans, Umbrella Academy and a bunch of other streaming stuff, its really obvious that its Toronto. God drat Roy Thompson Hall is the base of the Voight building.

They did the same thing with RTH in the expanse for the UN building so I like to think they’re in the same universe

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Man, that graphic depiction of brutal horrifying death during childbirth after a rape was real great, and not traumatizing at all. My wife had to stop there. I finished the show and kind of wish I didn't. The violence is stomach churning and doesn't seem to have any point or message.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As a mother it was uncomfortable for me as well, so I don’t blame her. That was something I was happy to see written out of the show’s reality. Made it MUCH more of a gut punch that they gave Becca agency instead of keeping her a victim.

I think the message is “people are loving assholes, especially when they get a modicum of power over others.” Which is, unfortunately, typically the case.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Labes for days posted:

As a mother it was uncomfortable for me as well, so I don’t blame her. That was something I was happy to see written out of the show’s reality. Made it MUCH more of a gut punch that they gave Becca agency instead of keeping her a victim.

I think the message is “people are loving assholes, especially when they get a modicum of power over others.” Which is, unfortunately, typically the case.

I can glance at my social media or the news and see that every day. It seems pointless to make a show about that, especially when the story isn't even really all that compelling. I'm super disappointed, because I thought the concept was awesome and there some excellent performances, but gently caress man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I can glance at my social media or the news and see that every day. It seems pointless to make a show about that, especially when the story isn't even really all that compelling. I'm super disappointed, because I thought the concept was awesome and there some excellent performances, but gently caress man.
The concept is that the popular culture you identify with and invest your hopes in is part of the murder machine. The NFL and the MCU promote the military. The WWE promotes Saudi Arabia, and so on. (And what's more, the murder machine doesn't even function well, because it's part of a big convoluted grift.)

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I bet the twist with regards to the final Homelander scene is that instead of a clone (BN), he faces off against HL Jr, who is more powerful cause he has HL's powers augmented by the V they gave Becca so she could survive the pregnancy and the standard V drip given to all the babbies

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Deuce posted:

Finished the show, caught up in the thread. Just lol at the guy who kept calling Kimiko “demure.” She’s a Wolverine stand-in. She’s feral, and every scene with her has her on the edge of snapping and killing everyone in the room. (In addition to the scenes she does exactly that)

Demure.

They even went with a “had to be saved by the ‘white’ guy” trope.... the guy she literally saved from Black Noir?

My favorite Wolverine plotline is the one where he mutely curls up on the carpet like a child and scribbles with crayons, occasionally pausing to hold one up for approval from his crush or brushing his hair to try and look pretty for them. You know, totally feral unbridled empowerment stuff.

etalian posted:

clutching his pearls

"Pearl-clutching" is one of those terms like "virtue-signalling" or "wrongthink" in that it has never not been used by a person who is a dipshit at best and a chud at worst. But by all means keep filling your dipes over people saying anything less than effluent praise about your funnybook superheroes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sleeveless, it appears that posting in a thread devoted in a show you hate to complain about it hasn't persuaded anyone. But if you keep coming by and scolding us every few days, I'm sure we'll all come around eventually!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite Wolverine plotline is the one where he mutely curls up on the carpet like a child and scribbles with crayons, occasionally pausing to hold one up for approval from his crush or brushing his hair to try and look pretty for them. You know, totally feral unbridled empowerment stuff.

When did this happen?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rhyno posted:

When did this happen?

With the hair brushing he probably means when she's in the bathroom before hell breaks loose. I can see how he might have read it that way if he's feeling ungenerous, but it's a super common, normal thing to want to clean yourself up and look nice and be able to feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror, so, you know. I'd imagine he's coming at it from the mindset of "women only wear makeup for men, they never just like it," which is pretty common.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Rocksicles posted:

Kubrick did it to Singing in the Rain in Clockwork Orange

that was apparently improvised

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Starks posted:

They did the same thing with RTH in the expanse for the UN building so I like to think they’re in the same universe

Yea, and the courtyard in front of one of the bank buildings was the space between the Mars Embassy and Earth. And Holden has his naked vision at the Scarborough Bluffs. Handmaids Tales uses the church across the street from my work all the time.

I have I think 2 episodes to go but I'm pretty sure Starlight will find out what Hugie and the rest are doing, and become their mole.

I've chosen to believe Maeve wears a wig as part of her costume, that is the only way to justify how bad it looks, and how it shifts in scenes. The elevator scene you could really, really see it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I mean Starlight and A Train are the only supes that really get shown in normal clothes (and in A Trains case I think it was partly due to him recovering). I could totally see Maeve having some 'gently caress it' moment where she dramatically yanks off her wig revealing thinning hair underneath.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aw I didn't catch that Becca was trying to convince Billy to go to a Spice Girls reunion show with her in that flashback

"Why the gently caress do you know so much about the Spice Girls" :smith:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

On my first watch I could’ve sworn Starlight’s mom was Joan Cusack. Just checked the credits and it turns out she was played by Joan Cusack’s sister. They look kinda similar but they both make the same faces.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ruddiger posted:

On my first watch I could’ve sworn Starlight’s mom was Joan Cusack. Just checked the credits and it turns out she was played by Joan Cusack’s sister. They look kinda similar but they both make the same faces.

It's funny because I feel like the woman playing Starlight's PR handler also kind of looked like a Cusack and I was wondering if she was some new Cusack cousin.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

El Padrino posted:

I bet the twist with regards to the final Homelander scene is that instead of a clone (BN), he faces off against HL Jr, who is more powerful cause he has HL's powers augmented by the V they gave Becca so she could survive the pregnancy and the standard V drip given to all the babbies

Read through the whole thread and this is the closest anyone's been to my prediction for Becca. She was either blackmailed or convinced that having the rape baby and raising it to not be a monster was the only solution for stopping Homelander. She was looking for a way to get back at Homelander and followed a drastic plan just like her husband.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

... no it was not me :argh:

If you're curious who said what you can just read the thread!

I thought the show did a good job of adapting Ennis there too, they had Frenchie go out of his way to say "I don't control her!" when MM tells him "control your woman" or whatever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 21, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

With the hair brushing he probably means when she's in the bathroom before hell breaks loose. I can see how he might have read it that way if he's feeling ungenerous, but it's a super common, normal thing to want to clean yourself up and look nice and be able to feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror, so, you know. I'd imagine he's coming at it from the mindset of "women only wear makeup for men, they never just like it," which is pretty common.

I was full on sleep deprived when I read the post and thought he was referencing an actual Wolverine story.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rhyno posted:

I was full on sleep deprived when I read the post and thought he was referencing an actual Wolverine story.

lmfao

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

... no it was not me :argh:

If you're curious who said what you can just read the thread!

I thought the show did a good job of adapting Ennis there too, they had Frenchie go out of his way to say "I don't control her!" when MM tells him "control your woman" or whatever.

I'll catch up tonight, tbc...

Just rewatched the elevator scene with Meave and Annie, heh, yeah, the seven are so fake, even their hair doesn't fit. No way that wasn't intentional.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finished it. Like Annie's journey. Curious what will happen with A-train and Butchers stories at the end.

I do like how there is a implication that The Deep is going to try to be less of a piece of poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm not sure he's any less of a piece of poo poo . It's more how he no longer has Voight looking the other way to cover for his incompetence. Deep desperately wants to have the clout that Homelander has. His pet causes might be sincere, but he does seem to crave a broader affirmation for his efforts.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Schmeichy posted:

Read through the whole thread and this is the closest anyone's been to my prediction for Becca. She was either blackmailed or convinced that having the rape baby and raising it to not be a monster was the only solution for stopping Homelander. She was looking for a way to get back at Homelander and followed a drastic plan just like her husband.

That's definitely going to be a theme one way or another in Season 2, cause they stressed it so much in the last few episodes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’ll be interesting to see where they go with The Deep because there will always be a contingent of the fan base who will never forgive him for his introduction, no matter what arc he goes through.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I mean he never really apologized, he just begged Stillwell to make the problem go away. Maybe all the things happening to him will make him genuinely contrite but as long as he's still part of the seven he'll never see it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I mean he never really apologized, he just begged Stillwell to make the problem go away. Maybe all the things happening to him will make him genuinely contrite but as long as he's still part of the seven he'll never see it.

I thought the scene with him shaving his head was supposed to be him finally realizing how badly he hosed up. I wouldn’t be surprised (or upset) if the deep didn’t show up next season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Starks posted:

I thought the scene with him shaving his head was supposed to be him finally realizing how badly he hosed up. I wouldn’t be surprised (or upset) if the deep didn’t show up next season.

It could equally be him trying to get back on top by adopting a new grimdark edgy image. He'll absolutely be back for S2; the question is which way he goes with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't think they'll give a rapist a redemption arc in tyool2020

Vought will be so upset that Deep didn't play to his strengths (shaving his beautiful hair!) that they'll make him wear a Victorian Era diving helmet under the premise of an Atlantean Curse

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Starks posted:

Thats what I figured as normally when a character gets all pissed off and shaves their head its usually a signal they have reached their maximum self loathing and either they get better so get even worse.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can see him trying something redeeming before Homelander kills him in secret to save face as a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't think they'll give a rapist a redemption arc in tyool2020

I’m not trying to start a derail but if not now, then when?

Some rapists are depicted as irredeemable pieces of poo poo sure, and they shouldn’t be allowed to keep going on without consequences, but I think the worst part of cancel culture is that there is no room for growing, changing, or atonement for less extreme examples, like, I dunno, Aziz Ansari.

I’m not saying we should try to save Roman Polanski or Harvey Weinstein, (irredeemable pieces of garbage) but I am saying eventually we’re gonna need examples of people recognizing their actions and atoning to become allies and educators to other abusers because otherwise the only other option is “take all your mistakes to your grave lest ye be fired into the sun” and I have to believe that there is a path for people, like the Deep, who’ve done terrible things but aren’t completely lost causes and animals like Epstein.

I’m only bringing it up because The Boys is literally the only TV show I’ve ever seen even flirting with a redemption arc for a character that sexually assaults the female lead in their first loving scene.