Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing I have noticed is the ATV now only turns on when I press the home button on the remote or remote app. I like this better because it would always seize control via CEC if the touchpad on the remote got bumped and it was annoying.

This is on the 13 beta I guess, didn’t realize I had a beta certificate on there after the last one but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

AirPlay to the receiver instead, assuming your receiver has airplay capability.

Nice, good suggestion. I just set it up and it works perfectly. :v:

Pretty happy with this setup now. I guess I'll keep my Fire TV around for a bedroom TV or something.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Every time I watch a TV episode from iTunes, the video freezes 3-4 minutes from the end of the episode, but the audio continues. The only fix is to back out of the episode and re-open it. Googling shows a few people with the same issue, but no solutions.

My Apple TV is connected by Ethernet and my connection is 150/150. I’ve done a full restore and update. I tried changing DNS servers (from OpenDNS to my ISP). Any other ideas?

ffs, this problem went away at some point, but it’s back after the latest software update. It might even be worse, I had to restart to clear the last freeze (which happened at a pivotal plot moment, of course).

e: somebody found a workaround, the bug only happens when playing through the TV app, the iTunes app works fine.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 23, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if there are any others using it but the Channels app just added TV Everywhere support.

Now, if you have a friend or family member's cable login info, you can use the app to "tune" into their live feeds from within the Channels app and you can also record said streams (access to their DVR software and TV Everywhere support is within their Channels Plus subscription service).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So does that mean I could just use my Verizon FIOS login with Channels, Apple TV, and my NAS as like an extra DVR?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I believe so!

Edit: some channels you get through the actual Verizon box may be unavailable through TV Everywhere.

There's a thread on their support forums that goes through the Pros and Cons of using the TV Everywhere system.

quote:

What channels are not available?
Local networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS are not available via the TV Everywhere feature. You can receive your local stations using a HDHomeRun CONNECT + antenna, or using a HDHomeRun PRIME.

Premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc are also not available via the TV Everywhere feature.

A&E Network channels (A&E, Lifetime, History, FYI, Viceland) do not support live streaming via TV Everywhere.

Nickelodeon and Nick Jr do not support live streaming via TV Everywhere.

The beIN sports channels are not available via the TV Everywhere feature.

How does this compare to HDHomeRun PRIME?
PRIME
Pro: Access to local networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, PBS)
Pro: Streams do not count against your internet bandwidth usage.
Pro: Cable TV keeps working even if internet goes out.
Pro: Dolby surround audio.
Pro: Secondary audio available with audio descriptions.
Con: Limited to three streams per cable card
Con: CableCARD can require monthly fee.
Con: Some channels cannot be watched or recorded by Channels via HDHomeRun Prime.

TV Everywhere
Pro: H264 streams are high quality but don't use a lot of disk space.
Pro: No stream limits.
Pro: Can watch and record cable streams that might be unavilable through HDHomeRunPrime.
Pro: No CableCARD rental fees.
Con: Stereo audio.
Con: No access to local networks stations.
Con: Not all cable channels are available.
Con: Streaming bandwidth counts against monthly data caps.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Does anyone know if there is a Harmony (or other) universal remote that does a full replication of the Apple TV 4K remote? I have the Ultimate One remote and the replication of the touchpad seems nonexistent. I’m not really surprised by this given the age of my remote but haven’t found anything that does. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Does anyone know if there is a Harmony (or other) universal remote that does a full replication of the Apple TV 4K remote? I have the Ultimate One remote and the replication of the touchpad seems nonexistent. I’m not really surprised by this given the age of my remote but haven’t found anything that does. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Other than the Remote app on iOS, I haven't found anything that will replicate the swipe function. And since it's pretty much how I consume media on the TV, my harmony hub has been relegated to the drawer. Fortunately CEC mostly works so I don't need to deal with a bunch of remotes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Other than the Remote app on iOS, I haven't found anything that will replicate the swipe function. And since it's pretty much how I consume media on the TV, my harmony hub has been relegated to the drawer. Fortunately CEC mostly works so I don't need to deal with a bunch of remotes.

Thanks - I wasn't sure if there was one and I just hadn't seen it. We bounce between the cable box and the AppleTV, though are using AppleTV more these days. The universal remote was really useful when we made good use of the XBOX, the Blu-Ray player, etc., but now that those largely sit unused, it's not nearly as useful as it once was.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ll continue to recommend the Sideclick for times where you want to control a few functions on non-cec devices and still have “one” remote. https://www.sideclickremotes.com

I don’t use mine any more after doing some custom automation with an arduino instead, but I leave it on since it makes the tiny remote slightly more ergonomic for adult human hands.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ll continue to recommend the Sideclick for times where you want to control a few functions on non-cec devices and still have “one” remote. https://www.sideclickremotes.com

I don’t use mine any more after doing some custom automation with an arduino instead, but I leave it on since it makes the tiny remote slightly more ergonomic for adult human hands.

Thanks! I had never heard of this before - looks interesting, and fairly inexpensive!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've come close to buying a sideclick so many times, but my wife really just wants a mute button and it feels like overkill :/

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Is the mute for a tv source or a receiver? I use mine with a receiver, and having buttons I don’t use often is still worth the size add. I added a bunch of random buttons for when CEC stops working on the rare occasions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Minidust posted:

I've come close to buying a sideclick so many times, but my wife really just wants a mute button and it feels like overkill :/
Kinda same here. I basically just need an input switch button for when I want to play games and CEC is being funky between devices taking over...although I guess at that point I might as well have power and volume too since ATV remote's volume will wake and switch inputs if the box is asleep.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is it possible to escape Youtube ads on the Apple TV?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Sure!

$$$!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xabi posted:

If you have an iOS device with an adblocker to airplay YouTube videos from then yes. Not while using the app though unless you pay those googlebux.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That's a shame. A drat shame.

(thank you for the quick replies!)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You would have to set up something like Pi Hole on your network.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The adverts have definitely ramped up in the last week or two. Feels like everything longer than a minute or two now gets a mid video commercial uncomfortably jammed in the middle of a sentence.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
can confirm youtube on apple tv works great with a pihole. hulu however does not. hulu loving sucks rear end with a pihole.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Big Huski Boi posted:

You would have to set up something like Pi Hole on your network.

Anything that I need to do to make this happen? It's not blocking YouTube ads on my ATV out of the box of my install.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's insane to me that people actually watch YouTube. Let alone YouTube on their TV.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

American McGay posted:

It's insane to me that people actually watch YouTube. Let alone YouTube on their TV.

There’s lots of obscure movies uploaded to YouTube, plus any movie digital code I’ve redeemed through the Google Play store is playable on YouTube.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

American McGay posted:

I do this every single night and have for years. Sure the stuff at the top is mostly garbage but you can dig deeper into just about any niche/hobby/interest and find very interesting people and content.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

American McGay posted:

Its just about all I watch... I have some 600ish subscriptions covering a huge range of topics.

I rarely ever watch "traditional" TV anymore and got rid of cable years ago.

The $9.99 Youtube Red/Premium/whatever they call it nowadays is fantastic for anyone who watches Youtube a lot. No ads on any device you watch on, PiHole or not. And you get access to Google Music/Youtube Music as a bonus. (I believe its higher now, but I am grandfathered in on the lower pricing).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 19, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Anything that I need to do to make this happen? It's not blocking YouTube ads on my ATV out of the box of my install.

I've never actually used it tbh, I just know it (or something like it) is the only real way to block ads on an Apple TV app.

American McGay posted:

Kids watch YouTube far more than they watch regular TV, it's wild

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

This was me like 3 or 4 years ago.

Today, it's the first thing I do when I get home from work.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Big Huski Boi posted:

Kids watch YouTube far more than they watch regular TV, it's wild

Yes, this is why I want to know about blocking ads. My kids watch an insane amount of YouTube. It oscillates between watching glitches of BOTW to wierd and obscure science stuff (natural disasters, black holes, survival things, etc.). Hard to fault them. They could be watching mindless cartoons like I did at their age.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There’s lots of obscure movies uploaded to YouTube, plus any movie digital code I’ve redeemed through the Google Play store is playable on YouTube.
This I can get behind. I randomly decided I wanted to watch Daft Punk's Electroma last week and I checked all my regular torrent sites and it was nowhere to be found and then I checked YouTube and there it was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah every few years if i want to scare the poo poo out of myself/get depressed I watch Threads and its pretty great having the yt app on my ATV to watch it easily. Same goes for any tutorials which frees up my laptop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

The $9.99 Youtube Red/Premium(I believe its higher now, but I am grandfathered in on the lower pricing).

Yeah it’s 15.99 now (I think) and they can gently caress right off with that price.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s 15.99 now (I think) and they can gently caress right off with that price.

Hmm.. on the youtube website is $11.99.... At least in the US.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

Hmm.. on the youtube website is $11.99.... At least in the US.

:shrug:

that’s what it shows in the app for me and that’s honestly a ridiculous price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the website shows $11.99 for me, also.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It probably costs more through apple since you'll need to go through the app store?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug:

that’s what it shows in the app for me and that’s honestly a ridiculous price.

If you buy via Apple/InApp they charge a higher price. Directly from Youtube/Google it is $11.99

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

stevewm posted:

If you buy via Apple/InApp they charge a higher price. Directly from Youtube/Google it is $11.99

Basically, they're passing on the App Store 30% cut if you buy in the app store.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just airplay from my laptop to the Apple TV, been doing it for years and adblockers work fine. Especially because I hate Google's youtube app on pretty much any platform I've tried it. Probably not a great solution when dealing with a kid, but it might work for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

Kalman posted:

Basically, they're passing on the App Store 30% cut if you buy in the app store.

Ok well 11.99 is still too much for me since I really don’t use it much.

I still think that YouTube TV should include it but whatever.