Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Powerful username/post synergy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Please include the original fishmalk pic somewhere, plz.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Cyber Dracula is probably the coolest illustration EP, most of the rest is just generic space fitemans doing generic space fiteman.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bieeanshee posted:

Please include the original fishmalk pic somewhere, plz.

That's from Dark Ages.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

hyphz posted:

If there's an easy logical resolution like that then why the flying gently caress would the GM consider themselves 'in doubt'? I mean, that just seems like some kind of catastrophic misunderstanding of that phrase.

To be slightly fair to this book, there is a weird impulse for GMs sometimes that if you ever roll a 20 on a die, you do something stupendously over the top, and if you roll a 1, you poo poo your pants and fall in it because you're a lovely poopy pants. Not rolling dice all the time for no reason is a thing people should be reminded of.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its very important to have your gm pc dominate

What if it's that kinda game though? Don't kinkshame.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mors Rattus posted:

That's from Dark Ages.

I'm actively sorting old boxes of poo poo and saw that one. Don't make me post it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm actively sorting old boxes of poo poo and saw that one. Don't make me post it.

:justpost:

Despite having read people referring to it for many years, I have never actually seen the original picture.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It was easier to google than get a phone pic :

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Xiahou Dun posted:

Seems relevant.

StratGoatCom posted:

And they want to great lengths to show how much of a hell on Chiron things descended into. I look at the denizens of EP and think 'Y'all need to read some Miram Godwinson.'
Sadly, there's a good chance that AI!Godwinson will affect the thought proccess.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it.

Thanks! I've always been kind of curious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah I remember when I first encountered the term I suddenly remembered that picture and was like, "Wait, really? That's what you're referencing?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Even 1st edition CofD books lean pretty hard on "You're cool and that's literally the worst thing to happen to you except for potentially getting cooler." 2nd edition is better about it.

I've been re-reading Requiem 2E and one of the first things they tell you is 'be a superhero if you want.' It's more about 'how do you make your now day-less, potentially eternal existence bearable.' Which can lead to a lot of brooding on rooftops if you reach into your bag and find that's your thing, but it's not mandated.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It definitely seems odd to me that power tripping would be so discouraged when "to be strong and cool and hot and immortal" would be like the #1 reason anyone would be a vampire

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Prism posted:

I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it.

Thanks! I've always been kind of curious.

Never seen that pic before either. I always thought "fishmalk" was a reference to the old joke: "How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb? Fish!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Glagha posted:

It definitely seems odd to me that power tripping would be so discouraged when "to be strong and cool and hot and immortal" would be like the #1 reason anyone would be a vampire

We can blame Anne Rice, I suppose. Also Lost Boys to an extent, which had the vampires like being strong and cool, etc. but they were also the bad guys. Cool stylish undead person went hand in hand with 'also deeply tortured' for along time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Isn't the Street Fighter Storyteller game really emblematic of why "Roleplaying, not Rollplaying" is bullshit? I've never played it, but everything I've been told gives me the impression that starting character simply does not have enough resources to be effective in actual combat situations, know the fundamentals of their martial arts and have (or at least had) a life outside of Street Fighting. Because those all cost resources.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes it's fun to face a vampire who is cool/stylish but who is also really in love with how cool/stylish they are and really enjoys being a vampire.

I suspect some of it is just the need to have the modern world look anything like the modern world, though. Hams Fantasy can have The Count giving monologues to his enormous army of skeletons because it doesn't have to give a gently caress about the consequences of LA getting overrun by a skeleton army, for instance. Whereas tortured vampires hiding in the shadows and having political struggles over feeding lets Chicago still look like Chicago.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Night10194 posted:

Sometimes it's fun to face a vampire who is cool/stylish but who is also really in love with how cool/stylish they are and really enjoys being a vampire.

I suspect some of it is just the need to have the modern world look anything like the modern world, though. Hams Fantasy can have The Count giving monologues to his enormous army of skeletons because it doesn't have to give a gently caress about the consequences of LA getting overrun by a skeleton army, for instance. Whereas tortured vampires hiding in the shadows and having political struggles over feeding lets Chicago still look like Chicago.

Except then you have to make the vampires and every other monster more powerful (both magically and politically) in order to explain how they keep up the facade, to the point where it becomes pointless for there to be a facade to begin with.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm intrigued by ^PM AGEStOrm Age Master® and looking forward to more of... whatever it is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Except then you have to make the vampires and every other monster more powerful (both magically and politically) in order to explain how they keep up the facade, to the point where it becomes pointless for there to be a facade to begin with.

Or alternatively make them weak enough that they really have to hide and don't have much of a society.

Or if you're mad with power you could pull a Charles Stross and double down on vampires really, really, really wanting to stay hidden. gently caress I just remembered he actually used to write for TSR and now I want to see his take on Vampire the Requiem. That sure would be uh a thing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dawgstar posted:

We can blame Anne Rice, I suppose. Also Lost Boys to an extent, which had the vampires like being strong and cool, etc. but they were also the bad guys. Cool stylish undead person went hand in hand with 'also deeply tortured' for along time.

I mean it's not even so much that they're deeply tortured. I can see having superpowers at a steep cost as being a thing to be sad about but I still think that every vampire would love to flex a little. Otherwise what's even the point? Just go sunbathing at that point.

Actually, real question, for how sad vampires are sometimes, how much does the lore touch on vampire suicide? I feel like immortality being a curse is less of a thing when you have an extremely accessible cause of death to turn to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SirPhoebos posted:

Isn't the Street Fighter Storyteller game really emblematic of why "Roleplaying, not Rollplaying" is bullshit? I've never played it, but everything I've been told gives me the impression that starting character simply does not have enough resources to be effective in actual combat situations, know the fundamentals of their martial arts and have (or at least had) a life outside of Street Fighting. Because those all cost resources.
Nah, I wouldn't say that. With regard to the "life outside of Street Fighting," that's just it: the rules don't include skills that aren't relevant to the martial arts movie genre. If you're a doctor, take the Medicine skill. If you want to be a virtuoso cellist, just say that you are.

With regard to the martial arts, a beginning Street Fighter party is more than capable of wiping the floor with a gang of gun-toting Mafia hoods or even a circle of ninjas. However, you don't get the Special Moves associated with your martial art out of the gate. (If you played a Shotokan Karate guy and started with Fireball, Dragon Punch, and Hurricane Kick, there wouldn't be anything to aspire towards. Just more pluses, and some extra moves that would mostly be gilding the lily.) At character creation, your PC's best moves will probably be...you know how Street Fighter characters have unique moves that aren't their Special Moves, like how several characters have some kind of sliding sweep kick? That stuff. It's enough to have tactically interesting combat out of the gate.

SF might be the best-designed White Wolf game, from a mechanics POV.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the Rotschreck is any indication, the Beast has a very strong survival impulse. It'd probably take some serious Willpower, and possibly a highish Humanity, to stay up to greet the sun.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress I just remembered he actually used to write for TSR and now I want to see his take on Vampire the Requiem. That sure would be uh a thing.

Huh, learn something new every day. What did he write?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Huh, learn something new every day. What did he write?

IIRC, Stross contributed some monsters to the original Fiend Folio, via contributions to White Dwarf. He created the githyanki and githzerai, the death knight, and the slaadi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Night10194 posted:

Also that a lot of transhuman thinking is again, along the same contours as eugenics. 'There is a superior state that exists, and has more value, based on its power/intelligence/strength of 5 gorillas robot body' isn't that different from 'If the right people and only the right people are allowed to have children there will be a better humanity' because they both proceed from the idea that an increase in power is desirable rather than focusing on the idea that personhood itself is the undiminished value of a human being.

That same sort of thinking is also how you get stuff like Hunter: The Reckoning telling you to use the 'sheeple' as props, because only the radical magicmen and their monster enemies have any real personhood or value through their superior power and coolness.
Yeah, to me the big thing is that most of it boils down to "but a gene-spliced superman will be able to do so much more! he'll be so powerful and smart!"

Well, there's a lot of really smart people who end up not "doing" much. Indeed I think they could get more done trying to figure out some genetic basis for focus or determination or stability and splicing up that, but most of these people think it's just a matter of finding the INT stat and slapping some positive modifiers on it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's been conditioned by ages and ages of fiction (and games) where being really smart really is a massive superpower that leads to success in everything. Which is also why they're so loving terrified of evil AIs, because they will be smart on a scale hitherto unknown and thus must be omnipotent Gods.

It's the same people who think just being intelligent enough means no-one can disagree with you anymore and everyone will be persuaded by your every argument, after all. If you're just Smart Enough you have all the powers ever.

Mistaking, of course, that it's much easier to write a 'smart' character who predicts everything and knows exactly what to do when you're writing fiction and control exactly what happens.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2019

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, to me the big thing is that most of it boils down to "but a gene-spliced superman will be able to do so much more! he'll be so powerful and smart!"

Well, there's a lot of really smart people who end up not "doing" much. Indeed I think they could get more done trying to figure out some genetic basis for focus or determination or stability and splicing up that, but most of these people think it's just a matter of finding the INT stat and slapping some positive modifiers on it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
We should just sic Terrance Howard on the LessWrong types and have them talk about math. They'd probably annihilate each other like matter and antimatter.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A vampire committing suicide by sun is a thing in one story I think but requires them to be tied down with rope strong enough that they couldn't just break it when The Beast takes over to desperately try to get away. Good luck doing this if you can shapeshift also.

Although frankly staking would make it simple regardless.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 19, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How often do the vampires actually think about that? 'Wow, something is controlling my actions so strongly that it won't even let me end my life, am I being parasitized by some other intelligence?'

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vampires as Gothy Cordyceps does give me a bit of a chuckle.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Beast as a separate entity and not just a way of describing the fight-or-flight reflex you have that gets augmented by low-grade super-strength and durability is such an amazing abdication of responsibility by all parties. No see it's not my fault that I lost my temper and ripped that dude's head off! 'twas THE BEAST, stirred in its slumber, loose'd from its cage!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Night10194 posted:

How often do the vampires actually think about that? 'Wow, something is controlling my actions so strongly that it won't even let me end my life, am I being parasitized by some other intelligence?'
All the time! That's why they call it The Beast and often discuss it as a hated external enemy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In Requiem, there is a lot of question as to whether the Beast is an alien entity sharing your unlike, your own instincts ratcheted up to 1000 or the manifestation of evil within you. That detaching entirely from humanity makes it “take over” to the extent that you become a slavering monster and that loving up making a new vampire suggests to a lot of vamps that it’s A or C, but the fact that you can basically control and direct it really handily if you learn how suggests B.

And yes, any number of vamps use it to disclaim responsibility for their own actions. A key thing of the Beast mechanically, tho, is that even when it takes over, it is doing something you wanted. You get to pick if it goes fight or flight, it just obsessively dies that one thing until it calms down.

Or you’ve learned to “ride” it and it does something else you want, equally obsessively. There’s also variant rules for a more intelligent Beast that, rather than bestial savagery, focuses purely on survival and safety and fits better if you want an alien Hell demon riding your shoulder and giving you advice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm quite fond of that setting/rule variant in the Requiem Chronicler's Guide wherein the Beast is replaced with the Other, and Humanity 0 vampires aren't mindless beasts but emotionless "snowmen."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I always figured the Beast was going to be different for different vampire bloodlines, but ultimately not a really distinct thing from the person- like goetic Vices in Mage, they're a part of you that's a monster, not a monster that's been stuck inside you.

I wonder if a vampire has a daimon- I know they have a Beast in their oneiros, which has a lot of the powers of a daimon but is, yknow, a Beast.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Selachian posted:

IIRC, Stross contributed some monsters to the original Fiend Folio, via contributions to White Dwarf. He created the githyanki and githzerai, the death knight, and the slaadi.

Did not know, that's some pretty core creations!

Especially the slaad of course, as they (rebranded as slaan) would go on to create the Warhammer universe(s). Is Stross paid royalties from GW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Did not know, that's some pretty core creations!

Especially the slaad of course, as they (rebranded as slaan) would go on to create the Warhammer universe(s). Is Stross paid royalties from GW?

Much of the point of early Warhammer was to avoid just that!