Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apropos of nothing, The New Adventures of He-Man is really dire. The characters designs are almost uniformly awful, and only the bad guys have any decent supporting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

All I remember about the 00s He-Man was that it seemed like they really had a thing for spinning weapons. This may or may not be the case, but it’s the only impression that series left on me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh hey, Marc Bernardin is one of the primary writers on Smith's "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". Not entirely surprising, given they have been working together on "Fatman on Batman/Fatman Beyond" for several years now and making regular references to wanting to work on a show together, but nice none the less. Also, somewhat reassuring, because Marc has some interesting takes on characters and seems less inclined to go for the simpler, more obvious takes that Kevin Smith has, as well as just having a more critical or measured view on a lot of media in general. Marc seems like he's close enough with Kevin and his ideas impress him enough that he'd be able to talk him out of any bad ideas rooted solely in nostalgia too.

It's also being animated by the same crowd who do animation for the Castlevania show, so I'm definitely looking forward to it now; even as someone who doesn't really have any nostalgia for the property despite liking it as a child. The next of their YouTube shows should be interesting too, since they'll presumably talk about it a bit; even if only in general terms without being able to give any definite details.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kevin Smith? Ugh.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Repressing childhood abuse and pretending like everything is alright to a narcissistic parent who hurts everyone they can is not "adult behavior" is allowing the cycle of abuse to perpetuate.

Family is family, but when people insist "blood is thicker then water" and try to excuse away decades of emotional and physical abuse they become the problem.

You can argue about who likes who in a cartoon show and is that character really dead, but if you start saying representations of abuse and manipulation are just the way adults are then holy poo poo see a therapist.

Yeah, we don’t need to diagnose people over being wrong about a show

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Test Pattern posted:

Good for him!

Yea but he's less fun now.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saucy_Rodent posted:

That's not so much a diagnosis over being wrong about a show as over what they revealed about their life whilst being wrong about a show

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Labes for days posted:

All I remember about the 00s He-Man was that it seemed like they really had a thing for spinning weapons. This may or may not be the case, but it’s the only impression that series left on me.

There was this one bit where He-man does a backflip over a lava pit and Skeletor’s jaw drops open and it was one of the funniest bits of perfect comedic timing I’ve ever seen.

On the whole, not a good show though.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Stenis posted:

That's not so much a diagnosis over being wrong about a show as over what they revealed about their life whilst being wrong about a show

You can choose to believe that, if you want.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is a wonderful conversation. Only good things will come out of it, and everyone involved will feel great about themselves and others. Definitely.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I would still like to know why being mean to children is considered to be villainy in a show where someone tried to blow up all of existence. The latter is a bit worse, I think?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but he's less fun now.

Well yeah he was literally being forced to be good. In that episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There was this one bit where He-man does a backflip over a lava pit and Skeletor’s jaw drops open and it was one of the funniest bits of perfect comedic timing I’ve ever seen.

On the whole, not a good show though.

I have fond memories of it, although I haven't exactly revisited it. It felt like a decent attempt at making an 80's dumb toy commercial that were animated and seeing what fun you could have with the concept and adding in some continuity, not unlike that Thundercats reboot or Transformers Prime or G.I. Joe Renegades.

Naturally all but one of those series was cancelled unceremoniously which given Netflix might be this show's fate anyway (I worry the same about She-Ra, because there's no rhyme or reason to it).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doesn't She-Ra have some sort of guaranteed episode count? Not saying it won't be unceremoniously cancelled as soon as those are done, but I think we'll at least get whatever arc the showrunners planned

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseLord posted:

You can choose to believe that, if you want.

Well it's because of what they revealed they believe about parental relationships, not what they believe about a cartoon

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Do you just not read usernames ever?

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HorseLord posted:

Do you just not read usernames ever?

HorseLord posted:

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior.

Still not sure how this is "being wrong about a show"

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Azhais posted:

Doesn't She-Ra have some sort of guaranteed episode count? Not saying it won't be unceremoniously cancelled as soon as those are done, but I think we'll at least get whatever arc the showrunners planned

I think they've confirmed seven seasons total? Or six. One of the two.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is that full seasons or half-seasons?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

HorseLord posted:

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior. Part of being an adult is deciding which way you pretend it didn't happen to you.

I believe there are many people here who hope you find yourself in a happier place with a healthier worldview.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Pyrotoad posted:

I think they've confirmed seven seasons total? Or six. One of the two.

They've mentioned having a series of 4 arcs of 12 planned. We're at the halfway point, assuming that still holds true.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HorseLord posted:

I would still like to know why being mean to children is considered to be villainy in a show where someone tried to blow up all of existence. The latter is a bit worse, I think?

One of these things happen in real life to some of its audience, the other isn't happening anywhere that matters.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Labes for days posted:

this was very, very much the case

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

One of these things happen in real life to some of its audience, the other isn't happening anywhere that matters.

They've got the next best thing coming though so don't worry

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Ironslave posted:

They've mentioned having a series of 4 arcs of 12 planned. We're at the halfway point, assuming that still holds true.

it will. the 13 ep first season was a netflix test balloon and now they're gna release whatever whenever bc they have license to do so. all 52 eps will drop in some way or another.

now beyond that is a whole different beast but let's not get ahead of ourselves imo

Saucy_Rodent posted:

therapy is for everyone; it isn't a diagnosis to want someone in pain to be well

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I believe there are many people here who hope you find yourself in a happier place with a healthier worldview.

pibbs gets it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Kevin Smith? Ugh.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone thought this was a good idea. His Batman run was cringeworthy, save for a somewhat memorable exchange between Batman and a temporarily sane-ish Joker, capped off by Onomatopoeia more or less "fridging" Silver St. Cloud right in front of Bruce by cutting her throat. Smith lost comic cred with me right then and there.

Oh, and in the same series Poison Ivy tries to drug Batman with super-potent THC, mentions her longing for his "tireless tongue," and Silver St. Cloud calls Bruce Wayne "Double D" because "the first night they spent together, they hit 'double digits.'"

She said this to Alfred. Unsolicited. Smith writes snuff/slash fic and he'll probably gently caress up He-Man if they don't rein him in. If anything, it'll be really interesting seeing the dichotomy between the series now that She-Ra is a standalone character and not just He-Man's sister and a vehicle for selling action figures to girls (and five year old Big Headlines).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 20, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
uh i think you got slash mixed up with something else. That's (usually male) gay stuff.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

kevin smith is a very talented 11 year old

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

uh i think you got slash mixed up with something else. That's (usually male) gay stuff.

Is it wrong that I'm kind of *glad* I got that wrong? There's also a part in the series where Onomatopoeia breaks the Joker out of Arkham and Joker tells him "he's a Top" if the reasoning is that he's got the hots for him.

EDIT: It's actually worse than I remember. He tells him that he "bottoms from the top" and as he's leaning up against a tree with his rear end hanging out in the breeze Joker tells Onomatopoeia to "not tell Tetch" and "that midget's been trying to get me to do this for years now, and I told him I don't swing that way."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 20, 2019

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
i hope this looks exactly like the clerks cartoon that got cancelled before it was released

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My husband is a huge Kevin Smith fan (like I said, neither of us are perfect) but when I told him that he was picked to lead a continuation of 80s He-Man his response was “But why?”

I don’t know, lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone thought this was a good idea. His Batman run was cringeworthy, save for a somewhat memorable exchange between Batman and a temporarily sane-ish Joker, capped off by Onomatopoeia more or less "fridging" Silver St. Cloud right in front of Bruce by cutting her throat. Smith lost comic cred with me right then and there.

Oh, and in the same series Poison Ivy tries to drug Batman with super-potent THC, mentions her longing for his "tireless tongue," and Silver St. Cloud calls Bruce Wayne "Double D" because "the first night they spent together, they hit 'double digits.'"

She said this to Alfred. Unsolicited. Smith writes snuff/slash fic and he'll probably gently caress up He-Man if they don't rein him in. If anything, it'll be really interesting seeing the dichotomy between the series now that She-Ra is a standalone character and not just He-Man's sister and a vehicle for selling action figures to girls (and five year old Big Headlines).

Please do not forget Bruce's revelation that during a classic scene in Batman: Year One he also pissed himself as he was actually scared to death.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I haven't read Smith's batman but it can't be any worse than All Star Batman and Robin. That was horrible and insane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I forgot to mention that there was only one good character design in The New Adventures of He-Man. It was Crita, the New Wave Mutant.

Seriously you guys, combat leg warmers. They should bring her back.

POWER TRASHING

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

HorseLord posted:

i hope this looks exactly like the clerks cartoon that got cancelled before it was released

To be fair, that cartoon was absolutely hilarious and the best thing Kevin Smith has ever been involved with.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

To be fair, that cartoon was absolutely hilarious and the best thing Kevin Smith has ever been involved with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBw7KE8wDSo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Smith writes snuff/slash fic and he'll probably gently caress up He-Man if they don't rein him in.

There was a panel from the recent Masters of the Universe Power-Con event where the series was accounced put up on his channel a few hours ago, and he talks with a guy called Rob David, who's apparently been writing comics featuring the characters for several years now. I imagine between the familiarity that guy has and the influence Marc Bernardin has (along with just being a better writer on the whole) with Smith, there's a pretty good chance they'll be able to reign in his worst impulses.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I feel like a good part of that was because the other head writer, Dave Mandel, who worked on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld among other things and really has a knack for sitcoms. That said I agree entirely and wish we lived in the world where Clerks took off and Family Guy didn't.

Also if one ever gets their hands on the DVD the commentary featuring Smith, Mandel, the lead animator guy (who went on to work on Kim Possible) plus half the original cast of Clerks is an amazing listen. Mostly they talk about, in essence, selling the show to ABC who did not get what the show was about, did not actually want said show and other things that can come up involving animation, like a very obstinate Korean animation studio.

Oh my God bear is driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Personally, I think making the gay subtext in He-Man text would improve the show :colbert: