Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I remember it hitting me less as "how dare my critics question me!" and more "I'm just trying to tell a story, chill out about trying to guess the ending." Like it's asking the viewer to try to enjoy the ride and also a reaction to the backlash that The Village got.

Whatever he was trying to say, it was heavy-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Whatever he was trying to say, it was heavy-handed.

You're talking about a guy who's so unsubtle that people keep trying to read his work ironically.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched The Banana Splits Movie this weekend, and it was... alright, but a real missed opportunity to do something crazy and over the top. A lot of it feels flat and a bit dull, the goofy killer robot characters are sometimes funny but I don't think it went far enough with the concept - take them away and it would be pretty forgettable. You could replace them with just regular human killers and not much would change. The score felt copy/pasted from any number of generic horror films, when it should've been like demented children's music or something. Most of the special effects are practical at least. If it sounds interesting to you and you don't mind lower-budget stuff, it might be worth a watch, but don't expect too much.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

When/why does the text fall apart? If you, for whatever reason, want to read it as a relatively straight-ahead slasher, it works fine.

My coworker read it as a straight-ahead slasher and when I told him I watched it twice he started asking me to explain the underground, the hands across America thing, and why there were dopplegangers. The film would actually work better as a straight ahead slasher without the exposition dump from Red near the end. Just my thoughts. I absolutely loved the movie regardless and will be picking up my own copy. Tonight I gently caress up my coworker by loaning him Birdman and Demon Knight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

ooh thirst is a good one

Thirst is the first one that comes to mind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Untrustable posted:

My coworker read it as a straight-ahead slasher and when I told him I watched it twice he started asking me to explain the underground, the hands across America thing, and why there were dopplegangers. The film would actually work better as a straight ahead slasher without the exposition dump from Red near the end. Just my thoughts. I absolutely loved the movie regardless and will be picking up my own copy. Tonight I gently caress up my coworker by loaning him Birdman and Demon Knight.

I've shown Demon Knight to so many friends and the reaction is always so awesome because going in blind you really do think Billy Zane is the good guy until maybe a minute before he punches through the sheriff's head and even with that happening to go from that so quickly to him having glowing green blood and summoning demon servants and stuff? :hellyeah:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Vampire’s Kiss is the only one you need to see

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

It's an inane masturbatory circle jerk and the fantasy aspect of the film says nothing about anything. It serves no purpose other than a dopey platform to deride M. Knights detractors.

It's sleepy and quiet and kind of cute and features Paul Giamatti and it may have huge gaping flaws and an obnoxious critic subplot but it creates a unique mood and I love it for that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also it features two cibo matto songs

We belong as 2-2 2getha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lady In The Water is basically the movie where M Night got comfortable with his very strange sense of humor.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The critic in Lady In The Water is specifically a cinemasins-type idiot. He doesn't represent film criticism in general, but bad criticism.

Likewise, Shymalan's character isn't important because he's a particularly good writer, but because he'll be the victim of a hate crime and this will retroactively make his writing important.

Lady In The Water is about narrative formalism as opposed to plot. The plot-events of the film are overtly complete nonsense - i.e. a kid who believes he can tell the future from cereal boxes - but the resulting stupid ritual performed by the apartment's residents is nonetheless effective. Same idea as in the Unbreakable trilogy, The Visit, Signs, etc.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Signs would have been more believable if instead of water it was coca cola or Dunkin donuts or something.

I actually really like Signs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really liked Signs but I just have no idea how not to be a pedantic dick about that ending. I've tried and I can't.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There real challenge here is finding a Last Airbender stan

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If nothing else, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is one of the best intro movies to ease people into horror. Creepy as hell, some slight swearing and no graphic stuff so its good for a sleepover, well directed and some awesome creature effects.

The pale female monster might be my favorite horror creature in a good long while, such an outstanding design.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

STAC Goat posted:

I really liked Signs but I just have no idea how not to be a pedantic dick about that ending. I've tried and I can't.

It's not too far from the ending of War of the Worlds. That's how I get there.

Pomp posted:

Never saw it because I never really cared much for the show. One of these nights I'll double feature it with Bye Bye Man and see what the screaming is about

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Signs was the only movie to make me audibly gasp at how well it was directed. Shyamalans eye and shot composition choices are the reason people thought he was the next Spielberg. He just shouldnt be allowed to write his own material anymore

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speaking about stanning poo poo, Nickelodeon's going to reboot Are You Afraid of the Dark? and it looks pretty dope and darker than the original series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sQA6m0Sfo

I'm stoked as gently caress.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

sigher posted:

Speaking about stanning poo poo, Nickelodeon's going to reboot Are You Afraid of the Dark? and it looks pretty dope and darker than the original series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sQA6m0Sfo

I'm stoked as gently caress.

HELL YEAH

Between this, the Goosebumps movies, and Scary Stories, it's like being a kid again

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
We've talked about the best punk horror movies.

What are the best goth horror (and horror adjacent) movies?

edit:

Kvlt! posted:

assuming you meant goth subculture and not gothic horror

Yes, correct.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 19, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lost Boys, The Hunger, Pig (the short film with Rozz Williams), The Crow, Only Lovers Left Alive, Night of the Demons, Interview with the Vampire

assuming you meant goth subculture and not gothic horror

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A major, major Goth film, a foundational text really, is Ginger Snaps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Never

But I had the worst experience with that film because I was TURBO sick right before I watched it, and ended up vomiting all over the bathroom. I always joked it was because of the movie but that feeling and that movie have forever been mixed together for me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

There's a really cool doc called Dead Hands Dig Deep that's more about deathrock than goth but its def p horrific id add that to your list Fran

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

We've talked about the best punk horror movies.

What are the best goth horror (and horror adjacent) movies?

edit:

Yes, correct.

Edward Scissorhands? That’s also a romance-horror I guess. Horror adjacent anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Edward was based on Robert Smith so it def counts

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Edward was based on Robert Smith so it def counts

Well I was more wondering if it counts as horror but then I remembered that Vincent Price was in it so of course it must.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Well I was more wondering if it counts as horror but then I remembered that Vincent Price was in it so of course it must.

I consider it a rom com with horror elements, but I also feel comfortable showing it at Halloween. Either way, it's gothy as hell.

These are good rec's. Especially Ginger Snaps.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best goth horror is Robert Smith having to remember his brief friendship with Morrissey for the rest of his life

Edit: Ginger Snaps, and Night of the Demons tho

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Beetlejuice is most certainly goth horror. And horror romance!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DzTgy6_Vk

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Krazyface posted:

Excision has a memorable surgery scene. It's also pretty good in general.

Excision is so good and it’s one of those movies that will grow in appreciation as it was overlooked in 2012 but would fit in perfect with the sort of “social-horror” wave of movies in the last few years. Very undervalued and has really stuck with me. Also Traci Lords is great in it.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Pomp posted:

The best goth horror is Robert Smith having to remember his brief friendship with Morrissey for the rest of his life

I've recently become convinced Morrissey was a huge fan of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_tnnKCTCI

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Craft is pretty core to my undying love for goth chicks so yeah The Craft

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

I feel like Elvira Mistress of the Dark is what did that for me

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah, Fairuza Balk was almost singlehandedly responsible for my sexual awakening as a teen, and whoops now I have a thing for goth chicks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've never seen The Craft, maybe I'll add it to this year's October challenge.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've never seen The Craft, maybe I'll add it to this year's October challenge.

You absolutely should. It's a movie that I had seen in chunks for years. I finally watched the whole thing a year or two ago and it's drat fun.

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like Elvira Mistress of the Dark is what did that for me

Mine was Lydia Deets.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

You absolutely should. It's a movie that I had seen in chunks for years. I finally watched the whole thing a year or two ago and it's drat fun.

The Craft is good fun, I'm surprised that the CW hadn't made a run at turning it into a series by this point, although it might be a little too close to Charmed or The Secret Circle.

Franchescanado posted:

Mine was Lydia Deets.

Lydia is good too. Both Beetlejuice and Elvira were the same year too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not just Fairuza, it's the combo of Fairuza and "good" alt-girl Robin Tunney.