Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

bump

I assume people have been busy making all sorts of 3d animated bongs in blender 2.8, please feel free to post them

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have blender but only used it to make pepakura files from videogame models do you have like a simple assignment i can try tonight and then you can grade me like the scariest meanest prof snape?

also, my house is snigglepuss please allocate poinst accordingly

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

Heather Papps posted:

i have blender but only used it to make pepakura files from videogame models do you have like a simple assignment i can try tonight and then you can grade me like the scariest meanest prof snape?

also, my house is snigglepuss please allocate poinst accordingly

okay! I challenge you to model a glass (or cup, or whatever) of the beverage of your choice. since you say "simple" don't bother trying to figure out the fluid simulation, you can just make the fluid an object (e.g. a cylinder) inside the glass.

if you're using transparency/translucence, cycles will do a better job at this kind of thing than eevee by the way, I suggest you render in cycles

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

okay! I challenge you to model a glass (or cup, or whatever) of the beverage of your choice. since you say "simple" don't bother trying to figure out the fluid simulation, you can just make the fluid an object (e.g. a cylinder) inside the glass.

if you're using transparency/translucence, cycles will do a better job at this kind of thing than eevee by the way, I suggest you render in cycles

!!!!!!!

Manifisto

lol, "lazy tutorials" speaks to me

you need a bit of knowledge to understand what he's doing but despite his slapdash approach it's actually quite a neat effect (or would be with actual care/attention)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

i got myself two cynliders of different sizes and saved and went to bed. it was late.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

lol, "lazy tutorials" speaks to me

you need a bit of knowledge to understand what he's doing but despite his slapdash approach it's actually quite a neat effect (or would be with actual care/attention)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

woah
i love the format

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i'm the pipelord now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTADG1omjVY

Manifisto

Heather Papps posted:

i got myself two cynliders of different sizes and saved and went to bed. it was late.

sounds like a good start to me!

what if . . . you added a third cylinder? then we'd really be talking!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657511

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

you wonder, how it is that a pipe man comes to be, after getting into the pipes.you see, the pipe man has always been because to become the pipeman, you must kill and eat the pipeman before, to gain the trust of the pipes

my bones are soft and flexible now, you can see through my pale skin, you can see that i, and you, are all full of pipes. it is only fitting to live in the pipes, as they live in us

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

here's an excellent overview of "learning blender 2.8" resources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcs8uf7UOs

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

https://i.imgur.com/MPlrYJA.mp4

I don't dig the Blender official intro vids because they don't do anything. I like project based learning. Most of my Photoshop skills came from learning how to use a technique or tool for a specific purpose.

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

https://i.imgur.com/MPlrYJA.mp4

I don't dig the Blender official intro vids because they don't do anything. I like project based learning. Most of my Photoshop skills came from learning how to use a technique or tool for a specific purpose.

hell, :same:

but some people like learning that way

imo the secret is just to look around at the resources out there and find one that grabs you. doesn't even matter if it's too advanced for you, if it holds your interest you'll learn.

now that there is a lot of blender 2.8 tutorial content out there, I agree with the video's advice that it's better to start with one of these than to try to muddle through an older tutorial

the exception being if you really really want to achieve a specific effect and there's not a 2.8 video out yet on how to do it

e: did you make the spinny icosahedron? I dig it

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

hell, :same:

but some people like learning that way

imo the secret is just to look around at the resources out there and find one that grabs you. doesn't even matter if it's too advanced for you, if it holds your interest you'll learn.

now that there is a lot of blender 2.8 tutorial content out there, I agree with the video's advice that it's better to start with one of these than to try to muddle through an older tutorial

the exception being if you really really want to achieve a specific effect and there's not a 2.8 video out yet on how to do it

e: did you make the spinny icosahedron? I dig it

oh yeah, that is my first Blender render. I'm not digging how it's animating, but I wanted to finish something today
e: icosahedron is the best primitive. fite me

nut

can iuse blender to take a 2d pic and make it dance?

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

oh yeah, that is my first Blender render. I'm not digging how it's animating, but I wanted to finish something today
e: icosahedron is the best primitive. fite me

the best primitive is the round cube, which you need to activate an (included) add-on to even see as a primitive

if you're looking for a constant speed animation rather than speeding up / slowing down, you'll need to mess with the way the animation interpolates between keyframes.

I think for many people, a good idea is to go to the the Preferences and in the "Animation" tab, under "F-Curves", set the "Default Interpolation" to "Linear." the bezier style easing in and out is good for certain types of animations but often I don't want it.

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

the best primitive is the round cube, which you need to activate an (included) add-on to even see as a primitive

if you're looking for a constant speed animation rather than speeding up / slowing down, you'll need to mess with the way the animation interpolates between keyframes.

I think for many people, a good idea is to go to the the Preferences and in the "Animation" tab, under "F-Curves", set the "Default Interpolation" to "Linear." the bezier style easing in and out is good for certain types of animations but often I don't want it.

I tried right clicking the keyframes to make them linear, but I will def change the default.

Manifisto

bee eater posted:

can iuse blender to take a 2d pic and make it dance?

yes!

but the particulars, and specifically how hard that is to achieve, depends on what you have in mind by "dancing"

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I tried right clicking the keyframes to make them linear, but I will def change the default.

in the Animation tab, change the "dope sheet" area to the "graph editor" (or change one of the 3d viewport panes). make sure the animated object is selected, then in the graph editor select the relevant keyframe control points (either shift-click or click and drag). right click-->handle type-->vector, or Key menu-->handle type-->vector.

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

in the Animation tab, change the "dope sheet" area to the "graph editor" (or change one of the 3d viewport panes). make sure the animated object is selected, then in the graph editor select the relevant keyframe control points (either shift-click or click and drag). right click-->handle type-->vector, or Key menu-->handle type-->vector.

I didn't do this, but it is good to know. I just deleted the frames, changed the default interpolation and put them back in.
https://i.imgur.com/wlZe7nu.mp4

Manifisto

lookin' good!

nut

Manifisto posted:

yes!

but the particulars, and specifically how hard that is to achieve, depends on what you have in mind by "dancing"

If you had a cut out png of someone with their arms and legs outstretched and wanted to bend the arms/legs could you do that kind of morphing? Along the same line, could you chop the arms up and articulate too?

Manifisto

bee eater posted:

If you had a cut out png of someone with their arms and legs outstretched and wanted to bend the arms/legs could you do that kind of morphing? Along the same line, could you chop the arms up and articulate too?

I did something like that for the plurp thread, I took this image

and made this low-effort monstrosity:

there are a number of things along this line you can do. on the more capable/flexible/complex side, you could create an armature (an invisible "skeleton" object with "bones" you can pose and animate) and bind that to the bitmap image. that's basically what I did with plurp, although a very simple/slapdash version of it.

there are other ways you could approach it as well, and I'm sure there are still more ways I'm not familiar with.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

Manifisto posted:

there are a number of things along this line you can do. on the more capable/flexible/complex side, you could create an armature (an invisible "skeleton" object with "bones" you can pose and animate) and bind that to the bitmap image. that's basically what I did with plurp, although a very simple/slapdash version of it.

there are other ways you could approach it as well, and I'm sure there are still more ways I'm not familiar with.

I am instantly interested.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

is applying a modifier is a one way street? assuming I don't have enough history to undo

edit: also how do i stop rendering an animation?

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

is applying a modifier is a one way street? assuming I don't have enough history to undo

edit: also how do i stop rendering an animation?

yes as to modifiers. in general the beauty of using modifiers is not applying them, so they can be tweaked/turned on and off as desired. depending on the modifier, you can sometimes apply it as a "shape key" which is a nondestructive sort of thing in that the base shape of your mesh is preserved, but even in this case you can't go back and tweak the parameters of the modifier after it's been applied.

to stop rendering, just hit escape.

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

So I'm trying to learn how to use modifiers because that is how I have decided to learn for now. Tried adding an array to my spinning icosahedron, but the whole thing, array and all are rotating. I want the original object to rotate and each copy to also rotate.

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

So I'm trying to learn how to use modifiers because that is how I have decided to learn for now. Tried adding an array to my spinning icosahedron, but the whole thing, array and all are rotating. I want the original object to rotate and each copy to also rotate.

okay, you ask an interesting question! although I did not know the answer offhand I found one way to handle this. there are undoubtedly others.

rather than using an array modifier (or actually, in addition to the array modifier) you are going to use something called "instancing" or "duplifaces". it's . . . well, just another thing that blender has in it. the idea of instancing (which can be done using faces or vertices) is that you have a mesh that sort of . . . lays out where copies of your (other) object are going to appear. you can have copies of the object appear at the faces of the layout mesh, or at the vertices.

so you're going to create a simple plane mesh object. add an array modifier to the plane showing the number and position of copies of your rotating icosahedron you want (one will appear at each array copy of the plane). the plane is not intended to be rendered, it's just a layout object. keep both the plane and your icosahedron at the origin, by the way (you can "clear their location" if you've moved them). if you move them you'll have some adjusting to do, although that may be what you want.

next, with your plane selected, in the Object tab of the Properties window, under "Instancing," choose "Faces".

finally, select both your icosahedron and the plane, with the plane selected last (i.e. it's the last thing you click, so it's the active object). then type Ctrl-P to "parent" (you want to make the layout object, i.e. the plane, the "parent" of the icosahedron). choose "object" from the menu that pops up.

you should see duplicates of your icosahedron wherever the planes were. you can tweak the plane's array modifier to set distance and whatnot. to keep the plane from rendering, you can give it a completely transparent material (transparent shader only), there's probably other ways to keep it from rendering but that is reliable. you can't just hit the "turn off render" toggle because the dupli objects will also not get rendered.

uh, this is a slightly annoying thing about eevee if you're rendering in it. to make the "transparent" shader work properly, in the "material" tab of the "properties" window, under "Settings," you need to set the "Blend mode" to something like "Alpha blend." cycles doesn't need this tweak.

do all this and the rotations of your icosahedron should occur individually at each instance, rather than having the whole array rotate around a common point.

dupli objects/instances are a pretty cool technique and they let you do stuff that is hard to achieve through other means. it's a good thing to know about even if it sounds kinda wonky.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 20, 2019

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

nut

Manifisto posted:

do you have a suggested video for this? I am hammering my head against an opaque plane that im told has a hidden image in it

Manifisto

bee eater posted:

do you have a suggested video for this? I am hammering my head against an opaque plane that im told has a hidden image in it

hmm. this is not something I followed a specific tutorial on. after a quick look I found a tutorial from an older version of blender that goes over something like the process I used, probably doing a more thorough/detailed job than you'd want when trying this out for the first time. maybe there's something for blender 2.8 that is suitable, I'll keep looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vzru1CZuE

if you don't know the basics of working with armatures in blender, it would probably be helpful for you to go through some basic armature tutorials, otherwise the armature aspect of things is likely to be hard to follow. I'd call this an intermediate skill, not a beginner-level skill.

on the "seeing an opaque plane" problem, well there are lots of reasons you might not be seeing what you expect, it's hard for me to guide you especially if you're not generally familiar with the blender interface. if you used the "import images as planes" add-on and you're looking at the result in rendered or lookdev view and it's still opaque, the problem might be that you need to go to the "Material" tab in the Properties window, and under "Settings" change the Blend Mode to something like "Alpha blend." It frustrates me that the eevee render engine does not show transparency by default, I imagine they did that for performance reasons but it's going to be a stumbling block for many.

however, the above only relates to transparency. if you're just seeing an opaque plane I'm guessing you are not looking at the result in one of the modes that show images (i.e. "lookdev" and "rendered").

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/controls/shading.html

see those four circly things to the right? you need to click on either of the two circles to the right of the grouping. the two on the left of the grouping (corresponding to "wireframe" and "solid" view, going from left to right") won't display your image.

I'd consider giving more structured guidance for working with 2d images in Blender because it seems like something that byob folks would be interested in, but I'm not sure the right format for doing that kind of thing, not sure I'm up to making a full video tutorial!

ty nesamdoom!

nut

Manifisto posted:

hmm. this is not something I followed a specific tutorial on. after a quick look I found a tutorial from an older version of blender that goes over something like the process I used, probably doing a more thorough/detailed job than you'd want when trying this out for the first time. maybe there's something for blender 2.8 that is suitable, I'll keep looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vzru1CZuE

if you don't know the basics of working with armatures in blender, it would probably be helpful for you to go through some basic armature tutorials, otherwise the armature aspect of things is likely to be hard to follow. I'd call this an intermediate skill, not a beginner-level skill.

on the "seeing an opaque plane" problem, well there are lots of reasons you might not be seeing what you expect, it's hard for me to guide you especially if you're not generally familiar with the blender interface. if you used the "import images as planes" add-on and you're looking at the result in rendered or lookdev view and it's still opaque, the problem might be that you need to go to the "Material" tab in the Properties window, and under "Settings" change the Blend Mode to something like "Alpha blend." It frustrates me that the eevee render engine does not show transparency by default, I imagine they did that for performance reasons but it's going to be a stumbling block for many.

however, the above only relates to transparency. if you're just seeing an opaque plane I'm guessing you are not looking at the result in one of the modes that show images (i.e. "lookdev" and "rendered").

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/controls/shading.html

see those four circly things to the right? you need to click on either of the two circles to the right of the grouping. the two on the left of the grouping (corresponding to "wireframe" and "solid" view, going from left to right") won't display your image.

I'd consider giving more structured guidance for working with 2d images in Blender because it seems like something that byob folks would be interested in, but I'm not sure the right format for doing that kind of thing, not sure I'm up to making a full video tutorial!

Thanks for the help! I eventually figured out the transparency problem and it's exactly like you suggested settings-wise! I'll watch the vid and see if I can get a handle on it!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Nice. Can I get a screenshot of your material? I don't really get what emmisivity or whatever I need to have a nice glow.

Edit: I'm also having a heck of a time trying to get the planes transparent. I selected the Transparent BSDF shader and set alpha to zero, no dice. And set blend mode to alpha blend.
Edit a third time: Weird. With alpha blend on, Alpha=1 is transparent.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 20, 2019

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Nice. Can I get a screenshot of your material? I don't really get what emmisivity or whatever I need to have a nice glow.

the material itself is dead simple:

the secret to getting that glow is to tick the "bloom" box in the Render tab of the Properties window. you'll get more noticeable bloom with emission strengths above 1.

glowy effects like this is one of the areas in which eevee really shines, it's quite challenging to get this kind of thing looking good in cycles.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

the material itself is dead simple:

the secret to getting that glow is to tick the "bloom" box in the Render tab of the Properties window. you'll get more noticeable bloom with emission strengths above 1.

glowy effects like this is one of the areas in which eevee really shines, it's quite challenging to get this kind of thing looking good in cycles.

How do I get to node view?

nut

better, camerawork needs a little improving

Manifisto

sorry, I've been out all day.

bee eater posted:

better, camerawork needs a little improving

this is cool, nice work!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

How do I get to node view?

the easiest way is to choose the "Shading" workspace, it's one of the tabs along the top. those workspaces are really just preset arrangements of various windows, you can make and tweak your own presets. once you get comfortable rearranging and tweaking the interface layout you'll wonder how you ever got by without the customizability. the thing that shows the nodes is the "shader editor," you can change literally any pane in any layout to whatever editor you want.

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I added a second camera to my scene to experiment with Spout texture sharing because I'd like to eventually have some live Blender scenes in my VJ set.
How do I get into that camera's perspective? I've got a little picture in picture, but bigger would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I added a second camera to my scene to experiment with Spout texture sharing because I'd like to eventually have some live Blender scenes in my VJ set.
How do I get into that camera's perspective? I've got a little picture in picture, but bigger would be better.

you can have as many cameras as you like. only one camera is "active" at a given time. the active camera is what is used for rendering, and the active camera's perspective is what you jump into when you hit Numpad 0.

to set a camera as active, select it and hit Ctrl-Numpad 0. this is pretty easy to remember because it's related to the Numpad 0 which you use all the time. (it is possible to animate which camera is active at a given time in your timeline, that's a slightly more advanced topic).

when in camera view, you can use the mouse scroll wheel to increase (or decrease) the size of the camera viewing area.

tip: if you can't remember how to invoke a command, hit F3 (command search) and just start typing the name of the command or some keyword in it. this is super handy!

ty nesamdoom!