Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I would watch a whole documentary on feelies/physical copy protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat, I love iIfocom. Sadly, Douglas Adams's games required the hint books unless you were Douglas Adams. I had a friend who worked there in the '80s. He held a fair bit of stock, but then the bigwigs at the company IIRC decided what they really needed to do was develop a database manager.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, I love iIfocom. Sadly, Douglas Adams's games required the hint books unless you were Douglas Adams.
Hell, Infocom's HHGttG required the original book--at least for me, who had to be no older than ten at the time. It did help a little, but then I resorted to ordering the hint book. I'm glad I did--it was written with as much humor as the game itself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Always got stuck trying to get the babel fish into my ear. :smith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hirayuki posted:

Hell, Infocom's HHGttG required the original book--at least for me, who had to be no older than ten at the time. It did help a little, but then I resorted to ordering the hint book. I'm glad I did--it was written with as much humor as the game itself.

I was something of a latecomer to Infocom text adventures, so I usually had the later edition that had the hint book built right into the game. You'd type "hint" and it would take you into this menu system (text-based, of course) where you could browse the questions and reveal the answers one line at a time.

Wishbringer was super easy even without the hints, and I got most of the way through Planetfall before I had to resort to looking some stuff up. I had to refer to the Zork I hints pretty regularly, and I never would have gotten anywhere in Hitchhiker's Guide without them.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I played that game when I was a kid too... and thankfully got a version that had a built-in help system. It made me feel bad at the time about having to use it so much, but holy crap there was no way you could know to do that stuff. It had to be the worst of those types of games.

Enjoying Vogon poetry... are you serious? drinking exactly three beers and eating a pack of peanuts... for real?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You should all be very glad you never tried to play Adams's BUREAUCRACY. It has a blood-pressure meter as a mechanic, and by all accounts it was appropriate. It was supposed to be frustrating, but the word of mouth I heard was that again it was impossible without the hint book.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I never completed HHGTTG. I got the to the very end but couldn't get the Heart of Gold hatch open. At some point I'll try it again.

The packaging was always fun on Infocom games:

http://www.infocom-if.org/more/boxes/boxes.html

I recently got Spellcasting 101, 201, and 301 from GoG. Those graphics + text games would have been Infocom's next progression if they didn't have idiots running the company. The Spellcasting games have held up alright, although it's not as titillating as it was when I was 15. They run in the original resolutions, which means they're really small on a modern monitor. I haven't figured out a way to make them larger yet.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You should all be very glad you never tried to play Adams's BUREAUCRACY. It has a blood-pressure meter as a mechanic, and by all accounts it was appropriate. It was supposed to be frustrating, but the word of mouth I heard was that again it was impossible without the hint book.

drat I hated the part where you spent 5 minutes ordering a burger.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Aug 18, 2019

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Unperson_47 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd60nCBygg

Skip to 29 min if you like. The first part is mostly about silly UK anti-piracy ads from the 80s.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or don't, the whole thing is kind of interesting even if (or because) it happens to be about the weird parallel universe that was 1980s Britain.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

namlosh posted:

I played that game when I was a kid too... and thankfully got a version that had a built-in help system. It made me feel bad at the time about having to use it so much, but holy crap there was no way you could know to do that stuff. It had to be the worst of those types of games.

I thought it was deliberately made as a parody of that sort of game, hence the difficulty and incomprehensibility.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Always got stuck trying to get the babel fish into my ear. :smith:
I believe that puzzle was rigged so if you dispensed a fish, then solved the problem and dispensed another one, then solved that problem etc, it'd run out of fish one or two before you could actually get it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

BogDew posted:

I think one of the Trek games needed you to know coordinates out of the manual, else dump you into a impossible battle.

Space Quest V had that, the coordinates for the various locations were only in the manual. IIRC sometimes putting in random numbers sent you to an impossible fight and sometimes they just sent you to a place with nothing. Either way, you couldn't really progress.

Unperson_47 posted:

Does an LGR video count? Admittedly this one isn't just about feelies but copy protection in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEbpMgiL7U

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zereth posted:

I believe that puzzle was rigged so if you dispensed a fish, then solved the problem and dispensed another one, then solved that problem etc, it'd run out of fish one or two before you could actually get it.
"Click."

Goddamn, did that one word strike terror into my little nerd heart.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BogDew posted:

I think one of the Trek games needed you to know coordinates out of the manual, else dump you into a impossible battle.
Interplay's 25th Anniversary. But they at least gave you a starmap and it was up to you to check the manual to find Pollux or Theta Upsilon or whatever.

I played that game so often I liked trying to Kirk my way through some of those battles. Nothing like getting two of those Romulan fighters that take your shields out in 2 hits. :getin:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Vavrek posted:

I thought it was deliberately made as a parody of that sort of game, hence the difficulty and incomprehensibility.

Lol, maybe... but that would have been certainly lost on 9 year old me.

I can’t stand those types of games... clever puzzles are one thing. But making you essentially brute force the game because there is barely any logic is a whole other...

Lol, three kinds of fluff, smdh

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vavrek posted:

Here's a wonderful excerpt of a walkthrough for a game that actually managed this pretty well!

quote:

Computer Area (LR, UD)

Click middle of sofa
Use platter on hand
Use cheddar on platter
Use stilton on cheddar
Use camembert on stilton
Use gorgonzola on camembert
Use limburger on gorgonzola
Use gouda on limberger
Use sheep's milk cheese on gouda
Use beaver cheese on sheep's milk cheese

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life... such a weird fuckin game.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I played that game so often I liked trying to Kirk my way through some of those battles. Nothing like getting two of those Romulan fighters that take your shields out in 2 hits. :getin:

the real way to Kirk your way through the battles is to decompile the .exe and reconfigure the battle simulation

Dewgy posted:

Here's a wonderful excerpt of a walkthrough for a game that actually managed this pretty well!

LOL gently caress, my local library had all three of the Monty Python CD-ROM games; I remember that puzzle and I remember never figuring it out

anyone else remember that sweet time when CD-Rs got cheap and libraries still had PC games

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dewgy posted:

The best part of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time was the answering machine greetings (in .wav format) that were included on the disc for your use.

My favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOHU9FMg5k

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Suspended was the Infocom game that blew my mind. You absolutely needed that map that came in the box.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Did no one else play Under a Killing Moon?

My mate had a DX4/66 in 1996 which was juuust fast enough to play it smoothly. I think we spent most of a summer holiday playing it.

The "auxiliary panel" that popped up when you clicked it blew my mind. I knew it was an effect but my mind refused to believe that it wasn't actually popping out of the screen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had one of those Tex Murphy games and yeah, it was pretty mind blowing. Except for the photo they used every time you beat someone up.

That same stupid punch graphic. Over and over again. But the video phone was cool.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Powered Descent posted:

The best part of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time was the answering machine greetings (in .wav format) that were included on the disc for your use.

My favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOHU9FMg5k

I was partial to the TSR that made each key press in Windows produce a different burp/fart/vomit/etc sound. There was one particularly evocative vomit sound that has been stuck in my head all these years.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Access Software were pretty cutting edge. I recall being blown away by Under a Killing Moon for the fact it had freely explorable game areas compared to everything else that was click and move (Myst, 7th guest, Zork).

The early games even used something called RealSound that attempted to convert low bit audio to be played through the PC speaker.

Martin Memorandum was an early adopter of video clips. It stuffed 24mb of data into around 7mb.

The later games kept up with tech novelties such as the ability to read from multiple CD rom drives or using DVD video with a software decoder.

Apparently there's another game coming out this year.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There was a text adventure called Demoniak that came out in 1991. I got very stuck when I played it at the time, and tried a few more times but could never get far due to the complexity of it (you could become almost any character in the game at any point, and I think you needed to do so in order to progress).

As far as I can tell, no one has ever completed it. There are no complete walkthroughs, just a few partial ones and folk asking if anyone has managed to complete it.

A game that actually has never been completed probably counts as failed, but also certainly obsolete in today's gaming world.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Johnny Aztec posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY "IDE"?!

yo I'm BleachBitting like 8 of these loving things ranging from 10GB to 250GB right now and will send them to anyone free, minus like five bucks shipping, if they want. Please get them out of my house.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Toupee Groupie posted:

The Macintosh Quadra 700 that came out in 1991 supported 1600x1200 at 8 bit color and 24 bit color at 1024x768 out of the box if you maxed the video memory. The Quadra 700 is what was used to design and render the game Myst.

I had a Quadra 700 back in the day. It was amazing. Apple called it 32 bit color. The extra 8 bits could hold an alpha channel. I remember getting Myst as soon as I could. I was so excited to play that I was pissing myself. I even had a copy of Strata Pro. The Cyan guys used Strata 3D. I miss that computer.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unperson_47 posted:

It's not a whole documentary, but Get Lamp and the Infocom documentary are both worth a watch and touch on feelies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o15itQ_EhRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXNLWy7rwH4

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

yo I'm BleachBitting like 8 of these loving things ranging from 10GB to 250GB right now and will send them to anyone free, minus like five bucks shipping, if they want. Please get them out of my house.

On a similar vein, I have a shitload of Raptor hard drives that are yours for the price of shipping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

insta posted:

On a similar vein, I have a shitload of Raptor hard drives that are yours for the price of shipping.

It's like having a coffee maker in your computer.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

insta posted:

How much would that be? You got a flat rate box you could cram them in?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I did not expect any traction on that. I will look tonight.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

poo poo, if I didn't already have a pile of old hardware ready for the scrap bin, I'd almost take that offer on the Raptors. Gotta stop my hoarding instincts...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

rndmnmbr posted:

poo poo, if I didn't already have a pile of old hardware ready for the scrap bin, I'd almost take that offer on the Raptors. Gotta stop my hoarding instincts...

I'd take any ceramic CPU's off your hands. :P

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
PushingUpRoses has a good video about the Moon Logic of old adventure games
https://youtu.be/zpiAFd9OkHY

The worst was Discoworld. I was so drat stuck on that game for years.

I have to admit the first time i ever played a game on CD with full voice, that blew me away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who killed Adventure Games? I think it should be pretty clear at this point that Adventure Games committed suicide.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Who killed Adventure Games? I think it should be pretty clear at this point that Adventure Games committed suicide.

They didn't die, they just went to Germany.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

twistedmentat posted:

I remember asking Al Lowe about this and back then beta testing was more "will this crash?" rather than testing to how logically it played.

Testers were given a walkthrough and if the game played fine without breaking, it went out.
He mentioned they didn't really sit down and think about game design's user experience until the late 90s.

This lead to the infamous Larry 3 bug where the part in the game at the gym had your reps multiplied based on CPU speed.

Many old games relied on CPU speed to time events resulting in faster processors multiplying variables.

So on a 386 this was around 25 per machine.
On a Pentium 233 this blew up to around 500+ reps per machine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Probably the worst I ever got stuck in an adventure game was fairly early on in Space Quest I. You need to get past a gate made of laser beams and I just could not figure out how to do it. I finally broke down and ordered the drat hint book, which told me that you needed to pick up a shard of glass from your crashed escape pod, earlier in the game, and use that to reflect the beam. A shard of glass which wasn't visible on screen. And wasn't mentioned if you typed "look at escape pod". Unless you walked up to the proper side of the escape pod and THEN typed "look at escape pod". No other object in any other Sierra game, before or since, gave you different information for a "look" command depending on where you were standing.

When they re-did the game with a newer graphics engine some years later, they made the shard visible, with an animated glint of light. Something tells me a LOT of people had unloaded on them for that particular turd of a puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BogDew posted:

I remember asking Al Lowe about this and back then beta testing was more "will this crash?" rather than testing to how logically it played.

Testers were given a walkthrough and if the game played fine without breaking, it went out.
He mentioned they didn't really sit down and think about game design's user experience until the late 90s.

This lead to the infamous Larry 3 bug where the part in the game at the gym had your reps multiplied based on CPU speed.

Many old games relied on CPU speed to time events resulting in faster processors multiplying variables.

So on a 386 this was around 25 per machine.
On a Pentium 233 this blew up to around 500+ reps per machine.
Dumb dependencies like this didn't die out of the point and click adventure game. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth's 2006 PC release had a bug where the player's movement speed depended on the resolution of the display, which made a timed sequence at the end of the game unwinnable if you were playing at higher resolutions.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There was a text adventure called Demoniak that came out in 1991. I got very stuck when I played it at the time, and tried a few more times but could never get far due to the complexity of it (you could become almost any character in the game at any point, and I think you needed to do so in order to progress).

As far as I can tell, no one has ever completed it. There are no complete walkthroughs, just a few partial ones and folk asking if anyone has managed to complete it.

A game that actually has never been completed probably counts as failed, but also certainly obsolete in today's gaming world.
There's a game for the TRS-80 Color Computer called Madness and the Minotaur that's like that. The goal, like a lot of old text adventures, is to collect all the treasures. But when you start the game it randomises everything, including what items you need to collect other items, and there's no way except trial and error to determine the rules. So if the game has decided you need the sword to pick up the cup then if you find the cup and don't have the sword when you attempt to pick it up it'll just tell you that you can't reach it, with no clue what you're lacking. It can also be the case that you might need the sword to get the cup, the cup to get the key, and the key to get the sword.

Rooms can also become randomly unavailable due to movements of the minotaur (who causes earthquakes that can collapse passages) and you can be randomly and silently teleported.

Also: it's a text adventure, but it updates in realtime. So while you're trying to map something can come into the room and kill you, steal items, alter the map, and so on.

There are also magic spells but I'm not even going to attempt to summarise that poo poo.

A lot of people cite Wizardry IV as one of the most obtuse games ever made (and read up on that poo poo if being horrified about terrible game mechanics is your jam) but Madness and the Minotaur definitely loving deserves consideration in that regard.

Fake edit:

From the wikipedia article on Wizardry IV:

Wizardry IV posted:

Another major example that seriously hinders unfamiliar players is the seemingly impossible task of exiting the very first room. The only way out is a hidden door which may be revealed by casting a "light" spell called "Milwa". The only way to do this is to recruit a group of Priests. This seemingly-simple task is made unintuitive due to the lack of any evidence that there is a door to begin with; the necessity of recruiting a group of Clerics, which are ineffective in combat and take the place of effective combat recruits; and the need to enter combat until the Clerics cast this spell. There is no suggestion in the context of the game as to what Milwa or any other Cleric spell name means; only players familiar with prior Wizardry games would understand its function. To a player unfamiliar with these earlier Wizardry titles, it would seem that the Clerics cast a useless spell. Furthermore, the Milwa/Light spell eventually expires, meaning that there is a limited time to find the door once the spell is cast. (Acknowledging the difficulty of this very first puzzle in the game, Sir-Tech included a sealed envelope in the game package containing its solution, to be opened if the player couldn't figure it out on their own.)