Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

The Journeyman Project is a series of first-person adventure games set in the 24th century. After several horrific nuclear wars, humanity united to create a peaceful global society. After a long period of peace and utopia, humanity has been invited to join an alien organization known as the Symbiotry of Peaceful Beings . Time travel has become a reality and is protected and monitored by an organisation to prevent any alterations in history. We play as Gage Blackwood, a member of the Temporal Security Agency (or TSA for short.) The games revolve around Agent 5's exploits throughout time to save Earth in the present.

LP details

This VLP will consist of all three released games in the series: The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime, The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time & The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time. I'm going to aim for two updates every week, when they happen will depend on my work and life schedule. If you need to talk about spoilers, please use the appropriate tags.

I will record additional videos for anything missed during the main playthrough.

Let's Play: The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime

Bonus Material
Death & Ending Sequences
Missed Scenes + Another Death Sequence
Easter Eggs (GOG version only)
Arthur

Let's Play: The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time

Bonus Material
News Articles: Categorised Post / Imgur Album
Agent Dossiers: Categorised Post
Death & Ending Sequences
Additional Scenes

Let's Play: The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bios

Name: Gage Blackwood (Also known as Agent 5.)
Appearances: Pegasus Prime, Buried In Time & Legacy Of Time.
Born: 2293.

On June 22, 2311, he graduated with honours from the University of Melbourne with a master's degree in world history. On June 25, 2313 he graduated at the top of his class from the Special Forces Training Academy. Five days later he became the director of Tactical Teams for the Crime Intervention Commission. On March 12 of 2315, he transferred to the Temporal Security Annex of the CIC.

Name: Michelle Visard (Also known as Agent 3.)
Born: 2294.

She studied at Columbia University with a PhD in pre-unification history and a BA in social psychology. An accomplished gravball champion, having won first place in the 2313 NIT intercollegiate gravball competition. Also, she has a black belt in karate and aikido. In 2315, Michelle was hired by the TSA.

Name: Jack Baldwin (Also known by the rank Colonel.)

He was a World Senator but in 2315, when Dr Elliot Sinclair created the Pegasus, he left his career to become the leader of TSA. He personally chose, gathered and trained the finest minds from around the world and under his leadership they became the most adaptive, resourceful, and dedicated agents history has ever known. Within that year, the Temporal Security Agency was formed and has guarded the time stream vigilantly since. As Commissioner, Baldwin was in charge of all security and research matters within the TSA, answering only to the direct edicts of the World Senate but his word carries considerable weight even with his superiors.

Name: Dr. Elliot Sinclair.
Appearances: Pegasus Prime & Legacy Of Time.

Part-time historian, full-time physicist, Sinclair is popularly known as "the father of time travel". His pioneering work became the basis of, and raison d'etre for, the Temporal Security Annex, which became the Temporal Security Agency. In 2311, after seeing Sinclair's first Time Bending experiment, the government contracted him to build a full-scale operational time machine. The purpose of this device was to explore our past as well as discover the truth behind many disputed historical events. In 2315 the Pegasus underwent its first and last test run for research purposes. Sinclair was forbidden by the World Senate to work on the project because of its dangerous nature of time travel. The government secretly set up the Temporal Security Annex as a means to safeguard history from sabotage.

Sinclair feared that the Cyrollans were planning an invasion so he constructed a new time machine and sent his android servants back in time to change history so as to make Earth a less appealing target. Should they have failed, Sinclair was prepared to assassinate the Cyrollan ambassador as a sign of defiance. Agent 5 located Sinclair's rooftop emplacement and apprehended the crazed scientist, thereby ensuring humanity's acceptance into the Symbiotry of Peaceful Beings.

Name: Arthur.
Appearances: Buried In Time & Legacy Of Time.
Born: 2221

Arthur was an artificial intelligence created by Dr. Kenneth Farnstein in his space station Amarax around Saturn. Arthur's "brain" was composed of Neuro-Synaptic Polymer Gel and he was "born" in the Biomass Process room. Arthur occupied the Softweb that operated the station's advanved neurocomputer.

Name: The ferocious wig-creature from the planet Weave.
Appearances: Legacy Of Time.
Died: Circa 1262 BC

Nice, flat puppy!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 7, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really can't wrap my head around this being an actual dated game, instead of a modern parody.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
How much of a difference is there between the first game and this remake?
I only ever saw the very beginning of the original up until the transporter, literally decades ago, and had no idea there was a remake (much less one from 97!) until seeing the FMV bits right now in this LP and going "...wait I could've sworn this was all computer art"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I haven't played the original so I can't give you a personal account of the changes that were made. Apart from the new graphics and audio, I believe that they kept the core of the game relatively faithful to the original releases. They did add some easter eggs in this game though which I will attempt to show off in a separate video or two.

If you have played the other two games you might be interested to know this: You can find a chip containing Arthur in the apartment who will accompany you for the whole of the game. I was tempted to do it in the main playthrough but it would have been completely out of context. I'll try to record a separate playthrough and keep only the relevant material.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh HELL yes.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh boy. These games are awful wonderful and I hope you don't die horribly.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Really excited to see this game getting some attention. The only one which I haven't played is the 3rd one, from playing the demo back in the day I wasn't really interested in it. Will be interested to see that one when you get to it.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I haven't played the original so I can't give you a personal account of the changes that were made. Apart from the new graphics and audio, I believe that they kept the core of the game relatively faithful to the original releases. They did add some easter eggs in this game though which I will attempt to show off in a separate video or two.

Pegasus Prime is more of a re-imagining of the original game than just a graphical upgrade; there are a ton of added sequences and elements more or less everywhere which are new to it. Also, outside of Agent 5 all of the characters in the TSA didn't appear in the original, but were carried over from Buried in Time in order to tie the first game better with the later games in the series.

In some places I prefer the original game over Pegasus Prime. Due to being a bit lower-tech and less flashy, and having excellent sound design, it comes off with a cool and ominous atmosphere which is mostly lost in the remake. In general the original game's sound design was much better as much of it here has been replaced with stock sounds.

Some of the best music from the original game also isn't included in the remake. The original game also didn't have the very annoying Biochip AI.

If anyone is curious I would be happy to talk a bit about how the original game and remake differ.

VictualSquid posted:

I really can't wrap my head around this being an actual dated game, instead of a modern parody.

The amount of campy visual flash in Pegasus Prime often verges into self-parody territory. It's a solid game though.

Roar posted:

Oh boy. These games are awful wonderful and I hope you don't die horribly.

The death sequences, particularly when running into humans in the past are one of the best parts of Pegasus Prime, they're worth including in a death reel at least.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The main thing I remember about Journeyman was its atrocious loading times (taking upwards of a minute at times to move from node to node, even on computers made several years after the game's release). Even the updated and optimized "Turbo!" edition was pretty sluggish. Not a problem anymore, though!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Item Getter posted:

Really excited to see this game getting some attention. The only one which I haven't played is the 3rd one, from playing the demo back in the day I wasn't really interested in it. Will be interested to see that one when you get to it.
I only ever played the third, and heard about the first two. Very different games.

Item Getter posted:

If anyone is curious I would be happy to talk a bit about how the original game and remake differ.
I am very interested in this if RBD's cool with it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Seyser Koze posted:

The main thing I remember about Journeyman was its atrocious loading times (taking upwards of a minute at times to move from node to node, even on computers made several years after the game's release). Even the updated and optimized "Turbo!" edition was pretty sluggish. Not a problem anymore, though!

"Scanning Inventory" was a weird excuse for loading.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Item Getter posted:

This is fine with me, I'd like to know more myself.

I've only ever completed these games once and that was a lot more than a decade ago, my memories of these games are extremely rusty. I'm most familiar with the third game as I replayed it several times, but there was a certain point where I got stuck in a loop and stopped.

I do want to record additional videos, especially the different ending sequences. I'll add this information to the OP. I'm aiming to have the next video up within a couple of days. I'm currently exploring the next location so I'm not arsing around too much during the next recording session.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gage finally arrives at work, late, and he seems to be all on his own. Well, for the most part. I'm sure that we will find something to do to pass the time with...

I'm going to work on some bios and graphics for the video parts soon. Most of the time spent on this LP so far has been on test runs, recording, re-recording and then scrapping it all to start again when I finally figure out what I'm doing. The only written guide for Pegasus Prime that I've found is impractical. The only other guides that I've found are for the previous versions, because of some key changes they are only useful up to a point for this release. I'm pretty sure that the last version of this game that I played was Turbo.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 25, 2019

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"Baldrin really is a cock." :allears:

I'm having fun watching this! Thanks for making these videos.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I only ever played the third so this'll be interesting, see where it came from.

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013

Anticheese posted:

I'm having fun watching this! Thanks for making these videos.
Let me echo this. I've hadn't heard of this series before, but it looks interesting to watch. (Maybe less interesting to play, I'd imagine.)
That intro in the apartment was a good bit of world building - although it seems that the elevator would make have a family or a group of people over annoying.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I only played the third game, then the first. Never got to the second one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Megan Love has one of the most frankly-terrifyingly empty smiles I've ever seen out of the 90's.

edit: Wait; Molecular Disintegration?! :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 24, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've only played Buried in Time, but it seems I've lost my CD set for it. I forget, was it 3, 4 or 5 CDs?

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

YES! YESSSSSSSSS. i LOVED this series as a kid. hell yesssssss.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nielsm posted:

I've only played Buried in Time, but it seems I've lost my CD set for it. I forget, was it 3, 4 or 5 CDs?

Pretty sure it was 3.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nielsm posted:

I still have my CD-Roms of Buried and Legacy, both contain three discs.

I'll upload the next episode on Monday, most likely in the evening (GMT.) Tomorrow, before work, I'll work on a few things and plan ahead for the next episode. The episode that I recorded this morning had a segment that was much shorter than expected, so I pretty much winged the second half. It wasn't a pretty moment to take a gamble on either.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Wait; Molecular Disintegration?! :stare:.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. :v:

Having only played the second and third game in the series, I'm looking forward to seeing more of how this game and its puzzles play out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've added some bios to the second post, I'll add and expand to it as time goes on. I've also replaced the text links with graphics.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This thing is peak 90s scifi, especially the intro. I would have been absolutely blown away by this as a kid but never got to experience it then - so at least I can appreciate it from a kitschy point of view now. Even so, there's still a certain je ne sais quoi about prerendered/live-action first person puzzle/adventure games that just isn't there when you have actual control to move around as you please...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we begin to explore the time rips. I thought that I'd check them off from the highest percentage of success down to the lowest, but it seems like it isn't going to be that straightforward. We make a new friend on the Mars colony and then we receive a warm welcoming when we pay a visit to the World Science Center.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

All of my Australian friends sound less stereotypically Australian than that AI :stare:

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
The Australian Intelligence demands that in lieu of a centrifuge you spin the dart around a Hills Hoist

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Alriiight yez fuckin' cuhnt, we's gonna any-lyze the fuckin' compound in the Bruce, and synthesize over in that Bruce over there. The Bruce in the corner will brew ya fuckin' pisswater afterwards.

(And yes, that is about as forced an Australian accent as you can get, good fuckin' grief :australia:)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The last recording session became a bit of a poo poo show. I'm not sure whether I should re-record the next episode, which may mean a bit of a delay as time is tight until the weekend, or keep it intact

There's a minor continuity error because of a gently caress up in one location, I kept failing a simple mini game which prolonged the recording time by far too long and I ended up getting lost several times through one section.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

How much of a difference is there between the first game and this remake?
I only ever saw the very beginning of the original up until the transporter, literally decades ago, and had no idea there was a remake (much less one from 97!) until seeing the FMV bits right now in this LP and going "...wait I could've sworn this was all computer art"

Pegasus Prime was Mac only for a long time. It didn't get released for Windows until 2014.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The last recording session became a bit of a poo poo show. I'm not sure whether I should re-record the next episode, which may mean a bit of a delay as time is tight until the weekend, or keep it intact

There's a minor continuity error because of a gently caress up in one location, I kept failing a simple mini game which prolonged the recording time by far too long and I ended up getting lost several times through one section.

If you're not happy with it, take the time to re-do it properly. It's not the first LP to be delayed for any myriad number of reasons and won't be the last.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Wow, what a killer game. I usually hate this Myst-style interface, and I'd no doubt hate playing it, but you make it look fun. And the sound design is actually really good -- the 'bwoom bwoom' when you walked through the tube in the first video blew my mind. Thanks for showing this off for those of us who missed it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you everyone for the kind words so far, I'll try to keep it up.

I'll either keep the next video as it is or change it so the continuity doesn't break slightly. I do say the word gently caress and make a slightly inhumane sound later on. Something to look forward too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Make a bloopers video later!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nielsm posted:

Make a bloopers video later!

I could, but it would just be me playing badly and swearing a lot because of it. Which is just a normal day of playing games for me any way.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Its fine as long as you swear in Australian.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
YES. I played the hell out of these games back in the day. I'm very interested seeing Pegasus Prime - I only ever played the original version of Journey Project 1.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we briefly visit the third time rip and discover a link between them all. This recording was an experience as I had a couple of moments during the recording, I decided to keep it mostly as-is apart from fixing a continuity error. The last section of the video was a first time for me, I went into it semi-blind and I thought that would be better than working out a direct route beforehand and then gunning straight to the exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ANGRYFACE CRUSHNOIDS OPERATING BEYOND THIS POINT

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, HUMP NEAREST DOOR