Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

evilweasel posted:

they're paying nine figures for one fuckin' show, money that appears entirely spent on having jennifer aniston show up so people think it's friends

yes but even netflix, who has no additional revenue sources, isn't willing to pay for friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the only thing that would really suck to lose is my keepass file but that's in like five places

what if keepass was kept in ur rear end

makes u think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jimmyjams posted:

makes u think

it's for keeping asses in, not for keeping in the rear end, it's a common mistake their brand consultants should have alerted them to early on

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yes but even netflix, who has no additional revenue sources, isn't willing to pay for friends

they paid shittons of money for friends

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

dont sign

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

evilweasel posted:

they paid shittons of money for friends

not anymore https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/friends-officially-leaving-netflix-warnermedias-streaming-service-1223151

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

that's because att is putting together an even bigger streaming package under the brand "hbo max"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah because warner weren't going to licence it to netflix anymore for pretty much any price

netflix drove a dumptruck full of money up to their offices for one more year of keeping friends (and likely succeeded just because hbo max wasn't ready), but it's going to be the tentpole of hbo max, so there's no way netflix was getting it any longer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
one of the grand ironies of the horrible splintering streaming services is that all of the content producers will rue the day they opposed "a la carte" cable

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's because att is putting together an even bigger streaming package under the brand "hbo max"

evilweasel posted:

yeah because warner weren't going to licence it to netflix anymore for pretty much any price

netflix drove a dumptruck full of money up to their offices for one more year, but it's going to be the tentpole of hbo max, so there's no way netflix was getting it.

okay, now how many old shows and old movies are out there that people want to watch and also aren't owned by a company who is planning on creating a streaming service in the near future

i don't think there are very many (part of my original point) but perhaps there are lots of "orphan" shows?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

okay, now how many old shows and old movies are out there that people want to watch and also aren't owned by a company who is planning on creating a streaming service in the near future

none

i don't think there are very many (part of my original point) but perhaps there are lots of "orphan" shows?

the industry has consolidated quite a lot

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reid Hastings already paid the Obamas to produce some films though?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
if Apple wanted to make a splash they’d just have John Krasinski and Jenna Fisher make some god awful show that happens to be set in an office. they’d clean up with people who have somehow managed to just rewatch The Office for 15 loving years. hire the rest of the office cast, they can’t be that busy.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jimmyjams posted:

makes u think

trustno1

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
friends is not funny or good and it should be relegated to the memory hole

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

ok

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wild EEPROM posted:

ill be there for you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

ill be there for you

to think i ever liked that song

now i associate it with bad episodes instead

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

if Apple wanted to make a splash they’d just have John Krasinski and Jenna Fisher make some god awful show that happens to be set in an office. they’d clean up with people who have somehow managed to just rewatch The Office for 15 loving years. hire the rest of the office cast, they can’t be that busy.

jim works for amazon as a cut rate jack bauer

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
and who can forget matt leblanc's amazing 2 seasons of Joey

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

and who can forget matt leblanc's amazing 2 seasons of Joey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyC-efJVpeE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the grand ironies of the horrible splintering streaming services is that all of the content producers will rue the day they opposed "a la carte" cable

I've officially given up on streaming services again. Back to the $3/mo VPN. It was fun giving Netflix money while it still had more than one thing I wanted to watch per year

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to think i ever liked that song

now i associate it with bad episodes instead

just remember that the rembrandts took it up as a quick cash gig and are now forever tortured by it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

iawtp

it is peak basic bitch white people poo poo

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
given how popular it is in India and China I’d say white fans are the minority

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
you know what streaming media service has everything no matter who the current license holder is and never ever loses a show over time? Plex

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wasn't lowtax running a semi-public plex server for a while?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

also the office. and seinfeld

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

No one is ever going to miss cable, expect maybe for the people that watch entirely too much TV. I'm fine with not seeing all shows.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lambert posted:

No one is ever going to miss cable, expect maybe for the people that watch entirely too much TV. I'm fine with not seeing all shows.

what is it like having never met a boomer?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Seinfeld owns man. curb is next level too

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

the good tv shows are the ones i like

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Apple TV+ is going to be the pastel polo shirt of TV and I cannot wait

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

Apple TV+ is going to be the pastel polo shirt of TV and I cannot wait

people actually purchase pastel polo shirts though

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my closet looks like a block of Seaside Florida year round

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thats bait.gif

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
streaming services are great. sign up for one, watch all the shows you wanted to see on there over a couple of months, cancel and sign up for a different one. the more streaming services there are, the better. the hardest part is remembering what you wanted to watch on each one.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

streaming services are great. sign up for one, watch all the shows you wanted to see on there over a couple of months, cancel and sign up for a different one. the more streaming services there are, the better. the hardest part is remembering what you wanted to watch on each one.

very much this yeah

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that true the the old alternative was to buy a dvd box set or add hbo to your cable package for 9 months to watch one season of one show

but really you should just steal everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if you forget what you wanted to watch, you probably didn't care that much in the first place