Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6O9VdFzI7s

I enjoyed this video discussing future plans for LTT. The process they have to in familiarizing and introducing new hosts to the viewers and how they slowly inoculate that person from the wave of petty negative comments.

It's also nice to see Linus the person and not the character he plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

It's also nice to see Linus the person and not the character he plays.

Christ he's such an easier person to listen to. Don't know why he doesn't just do this.

e: Just finished it. I feel bad for hating on the dude so much because he actually seems like a really cool person to work with, not just tolerate. Thanks for postin this.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 31, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That isnt linus, linus is a spaz dweeb, this is clearly some sort of doppelganger

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LTT is first and foremost advertisement for the brands that give him all the poo poo they use. It's kinda funny that the most popular/effective form this takes is tech-related comedy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Comedy"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm convinced Max from Max Tech (is his name max?) and the AppleInsider guy are the same guy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZiAbPH5ChE

Go to 8m04s for a great rant about UserBenchmark and user reviews for routers.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bob Morales posted:

I'm convinced Max from Max Tech (is his name max?) and the AppleInsider guy are the same guy

There's multiple guys doing stuff for AppleInsider, and Max Yuryev has done work for them. I don't think he's done much for them lately though.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 12, 2019

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjTYbqG1CI

This right here is all of GamersNexus/Steve distilled into why I love him so loving much. Just a relentless calling out of AMD's bullshit about the 110C junction temperature poo poo.

At the same time I feel so bad for them cause their audience is comprised of people who label/self-identify themselves as 'gamers' and I really wish they were in a position to rebranding themselves. Like maybe call themselves TechNexus or just Tech Jesus.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wirth1000 posted:

This right here is all of GamersNexus/Steve distilled into why I love him so loving much. Just a relentless calling out of AMD's bullshit about the 110C junction temperature poo poo.

At the same time I feel so bad for them cause their audience is comprised of people who label/self-identify themselves as 'gamers' and I really wish they were in a position to rebranding themselves. Like maybe call themselves TechNexus or just Tech Jesus.

Is his audience actually self identified gamers though? He has like zero content catering to that subset. It's literally all benchmarks and teardowns (of cards and companies)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is his audience actually self identified gamers though? He has like zero content catering to that subset. It's literally all benchmarks and teardowns (of cards and companies)

I consider hardware fanboys to be a subset of that degenerate sect.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't have a link but Steve mentioned on one video I remember that he he chose the name for the site 'very early' and basically regrets it now

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I don't have a link but Steve mentioned on one video I remember that he he chose the name for the site 'very early' and basically regrets it now

he use to just focus on the gaming side of things but his stuff took off when he focused more on hardware.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Just came across this guy when looking for phone liquid damage repair, he's like the Andrei Alexandrescu of PC/phone repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLffdWhBfFU

Most of the content are streams or at least unedited videos but it's downright pleasant compared to a lot of the grating personalities that show up ITT.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

He should really just buy a new domain, rebrand, and have the old domain redirect to the new one. He can change the name of the youtube channel too. This stuff isn't written in stone

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does anyone watch Louis Rossman stuff on the regular? I randomly come across him from time to time and, I dunno, I understand what he's getting at with the whole right to repair stuff but his poo poo is along the same lines as that insane Scottish guy who considers nVidia to be ISIS' GPU department. Louis Rossman's.. intensity? paranoia? just comes off like he considers Apple to be literal war criminals.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's part of a section of Youtube of very good technical people who have bad opinions. There's a few of them that seem great at first then you notice their opinions and how they're subtly in all of their videos because all of the technical info is great and right and they're not making social commentary videos but it sneaks in with weekly (or daily) half hour videos they need to fill time in. I don't want to call any of them out because they're not explicitly making social commentary videos and the technical info is good.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
LTT's newest video is amazing. Alex is an absolutely perfect complement to Linus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rossman was a weird tone to his poo poo, but considering the assholes Apple are being in that specific area he operates in, I'm almost willing to forgive it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

K8.0 posted:

LTT's newest video is amazing. Alex is an absolutely perfect complement to Linus.

I've noticed LTT is shooting a lot of their recent videos in a 2:1 aspect ratio. I wonder why.

Edit: A lot of phones now have close to 2:1 displays now. That might be why.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 20, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

OhFunny posted:

I've noticed LTT is shooting a lot of their recent videos in a 2:1 aspect ratio. I wonder why.

Edit: A lot of phones now have close to 2:1 displays now. That might be why.

Lots of newer shows on Netflix and Hulu are also being shot in 2:1. They’re really trying to force stuff in that direction.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Oh, woops! haha, i am all butterfingers!

I honestly can't stand this dude or his voice

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Does anyone watch Louis Rossman stuff on the regular? I randomly come across him from time to time and, I dunno, I understand what he's getting at with the whole right to repair stuff but his poo poo is along the same lines as that insane Scottish guy who considers nVidia to be ISIS' GPU department. Louis Rossman's.. intensity? paranoia? just comes off like he considers Apple to be literal war criminals.

Just yesterday I upgraded the HDD, ODD, battery and RAM in a friend's late 2011 Macbook Pro. Apple's current policy of 'solder all the things' is egregious as gently caress and that's ignoring the fact that their lovely keyboards failing constitute replacing like 50% of the laptop by volume.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

The guy has rants that seem to verge into super libertarian territory

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

The guy has rants that seem to verge into super libertarian territory

That would be because he is super libertarian.

I like Rossman's technical capability with component level repairs and I agree with right to repair, but holy gently caress do I just run away immediately whenever he veers away from that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

That would be because he is super libertarian.

I like Rossman's technical capability with component level repairs and I agree with right to repair, but holy gently caress do I just run away immediately whenever he veers away from that.

Yeah, I had never watched anything but his teardown videos, which are really unique because he is great at what he does but holy poo poo does he seem like a tinfoil hat kind of guy sometimes.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I like how he’s getting squeezed on all sides by mega corps and landlords but is still all about boot straps.
Does anyone make They Live glasses but for class consciousness?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Wirth1000 posted:

Apple did get the feds to seize his "counterfeit" apple repair products.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3ppvj/dhs-seized-aftermarket-apple-laptop-batteries-from-independent-repair-expert-louis-rossman

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I wish Rossman didn't swear so much so I could watch his videos when my kids are in the same room but I think I have mostly droned out enough of what he is doing to not feel paranoid about his political point of view. I think he sperges out a lot, like one video where he was talking about how he uses soap and water to wipe his instead rear end instead of just dry toilet paper like a normal human. If you care that much about cleanliness get a bidet or wipes. . . I'm glad he is advocating for right for repair shops but I fast forward large parts of his videos just because they are kinda boring.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'd labelled Rossman as "reddit is leaking" because of a few things he said. He was removing a surface mount capacitor and kept saying "begone thot"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ElGroucho posted:

Oh, woops! haha, i am all butterfingers!

I honestly can't stand this dude or his voice

Are you talking about Alex? Because I am 100% in agreement. The way he talks, his verbal intonations, all of it just stresses me out. I'm Canadian and I even find his Canadian accent to be a bit much.

I'm actually loving Anthony a lot and I want to see more of him.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm actually loving Anthony a lot and I want to see more of him.

Anthony's the best thing to happen to LTT and actually got me to watch them on a regular basis, because I can't stand Linus' character. Linus actually seems pretty chill when he's not "on" (like when he's in Gamer'sNexus videos with Steve), which is a shame.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

K8.0 posted:

He's very sweaty by the end of the video. Which is weird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I wish Rossman didn't swear so much so I could watch his videos when my kids are in the same room but I think I have mostly droned out enough of what he is doing to not feel paranoid about his political point of view. I think he sperges out a lot, like one video where he was talking about how he uses soap and water to wipe his instead rear end instead of just dry toilet paper like a normal human. If you care that much about cleanliness get a bidet or wipes. . . I'm glad he is advocating for right for repair shops but I fast forward large parts of his videos just because they are kinda boring.

I don't find him particularly unreasonable considering the poo poo Apple pulls sometimes, but then I haven't seen his bidet video apparently. But he is pretty much who I was referring to in my previous posts, just listening to him ranting can be tiring.

On the other hand, have you tried the guy I linked previously? Sorin is like the opposite of Louis and pretty PG rated. Here's a decent example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLffdWhBfFU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

VostokProgram posted:

He should really just buy a new domain, rebrand, and have the old domain redirect to the new one. He can change the name of the youtube channel too. This stuff isn't written in stone

A little more complex than that

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

All the Gamers Nexus stuff becomes "collectible", and new stuff sells because people want the new stuff. It's not like no one has ever re-branded before while having things with their old logo on them. Besides, it's all generic online store crap that could be made with a different name inside of a week.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Random googling of GN stuff lead me to discover Steve's reddit account and god drat

This is going in the OP.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like Louis' cats.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIxgAgmfpk

Here it is. The video that made me finally say "gently caress this channel" and unsubscribe from Linus.

Far be it from me to be a fanboy of any product when it comes to Apple vs. Android but the way Linus always loving stretches some point super thin just to get some dig at Apple in any way he can its bizarre.

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane. What is this dude's loving problem? Christ. He's reaching Louis Rossman levels of seeing shadows where there's not and that Adored guy's hatred against nVidia thinking they're the third reich's GPU division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIxgAgmfpk

Here it is. The video that made me finally say "gently caress this channel" and unsubscribe from Linus.

Far be it from me to be a fanboy of any product when it comes to Apple vs. Android but the way Linus always loving stretches some point super thin just to get some dig at Apple in any way he can its bizarre.

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane. What is this dude's loving problem? Christ. He's reaching Louis Rossman levels of seeing shadows where there's not and that Adored guy's hatred against nVidia thinking they're the third reich's GPU division.

A bit of googling and that appears true. But I also couldn't help but laugh at the top result for " How long does android support phones:
"These phones are designed, sold, and maintained by Google, so they get updated when the latest versions of Android are available—on time, every time. Google also guarantees that level of supportfor at least two years for all majorAndroid updates, and an unprecedented three years for monthly security updates.Dec 19, 2017"

Either way, I think you are overreacting to Linus.