Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I made this shibori a couple years ago and I think it is by far my favorite. I used my sewing machine to baste a bunch of parallel lines (with a few empty circles) that I then pulled tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I made this shibori a couple years ago and I think it is by far my favorite. I used my sewing machine to baste a bunch of parallel lines (with a few empty circles) that I then pulled tight.

Nice although I think it'd look better with more saturated colors. I don't see much point to using indigo when better options exist.

Sweet an excuse to tell the world my exciting sewing machine story:
I once used a sewing machine in an attempt to sew on a button. Simple right they can totally do that? Well apparently I am incapable of lining up the needle with the holes, and broke multiple needles before giving up. Now I just go without a pair of pants for a really long time until I decide to manually sew the button. I finally do so thus gaining another pair of pants to wear. The universe a week or two later as if sensing this imbalance decided that I was another button was to be unthreaded.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 20, 2019

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Hell ya! I love tie dying.

My favorite place for supplies: http://www.grateful-dyes.com/ (Don't pay attention to the shipping cost/read the disclaimer, actual shipping cost ends up being about a 1/3 of the shipping cost at checkout.)

Ice dying is my personal favorite look.

Another technique and one that seems to get the most compliments on are black shirts that I'll tie one way, squirt with a bunch of bleach, let the bleach sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse the hell out of it to stop the bleaching. Soak it in soda ash. Tie the shirt again and dye it traditionally.

Someone mentioned using syringes to dye. Pipettes (https://smile.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Transfer-Pipettes-Essential-Graduated/dp/B00WLIQHQ0) work really well. Mix the colors in mason jars and apply the colors with the pipettes. Depending on how often you dye, if you use the larger mason jars, the pipettes can be sealed inside the jar for the next use.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Blah I'm not thrilled at how these came out. Which is a bummer.

Left: it was going to be eyes/a grin but that didn't happen. Right: You can kind of see where I did the folds, but the dye didn't go through all the way/bad stripes on the arms.

Left: Spiral unclear. Right: I don't know I think I didn't use enough dye or twisted it too tight (it's a bullseye but I twist it which seems to cause those voids in the bullseye, lines are by cinching my band things tight)

It's really kind of a bummer having the shirts that fit me worse come out better then the ones that seem to fit me better.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 22, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Left: Spiral unclear. Right: I don't know I think I didn't use enough dye or twisted it to tight (it's a bullseye but I twist it which seems to cause those voids in the bullseye, lines are by cinching my band things tight)

It's really kind of a bummer having the shirts that fit me worse come out better then the ones that seem to fit me better.

I quite like the one on the right

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I quite like the one on the right

I think it came out better the first time I did it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps, though I think I like how (relatively) subtle it is. Perhaps that's because people who're into more subtle designs tend not to be the same people that make tie dye :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I wish more places made tall shirts. So not only do I want natural threads, I also want talls. Really I should just buy a size up, it's not like it really matters.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 25, 2019

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I look forward to reading more about tie dye and experimenting with it in the future.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I am actually planning on trying some shibori tomorrow (although I have previously been told on this very page that it's boring because it only has one color) so I will report back.

Previous failed shibori experiments have been sacrificed to the cause of public health (they became mask linings)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 17, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
But it's the best color, so...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I didn't use real indigo, though, I used a combination of Jacquard Procion dyes (warm black and cobalt blue). They came out pretty well today.

Itajime--folded and pressed between blocks

Something my husband did with binder clips and arashi--fabric wrapped around a pole with string

Nui--folded and stitched

And pre-dye:

Arashi, itajime, and binder clip thing

Nui (the pleated one just turned out almost completely dark, so I didn't take a picture)

I think these will end up in a quilt with some orange/yellow solids.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Duck and Cover posted:

Blah I'm not thrilled at how these came out. Which is a bummer.

Left: it was going to be eyes/a grin but that didn't happen. Right: You can kind of see where I did the folds, but the dye didn't go through all the way/bad stripes on the arms.

Eyes have got to be tricky. Quite likely to end up as a boobie emphasizer. First shirt is small perky boobs, second shirt is pancake boobs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh, this thread is back? Great timing, I just dyed some more fabric.

I did some solid yellow/orange too, but no pics because it's boring. I'm going to make a quilt with all of this.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Can I tie dye a white fabric using only yellow dye or will it look too much like piss

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

DIY Secret Santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh, this thread is back? Great timing, I just dyed some more fabric.

I did some solid yellow/orange too, but no pics because it's boring. I'm going to make a quilt with all of this.

I made the quilt.

I've also been doing some ice dyed itajime shibori.