Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

have any of you been following this thread in GBS because Pennywise the Frown's posts should be forced reading for middle schoolers :stonk:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844738&pagenumber=19&perpage=40

Jesus. That's uh, something. 29 beers in a day. :stare:

It's not helping that he apparently lives here in Milwaukee or nearby which is basically the drunkest place in America with a staggering per capita amount of bars. Bars/drinking culture (thanks to the heavily German, also Irish/Polish immigration here) are so ingrained into the local culture that it really is a huge portion of culture to the point where I can't imagine a social life here that excludes it; I'd have to guess there are few worse places to be an alcoholic.

Personally I sometimes I feel like I may drink somewhat too much; usually I'll go out on a Friday or Saturday and get reasonably drunk, albeit not blackout/stumbling (we'll say 5-6 heavier craft beers, usually I don't willingly drink hard liquor) with friends. On the other hand I don't normally drink at home or during the week beyond 1-2 beers at my weekly bar trivia league or a beer with dinner at a restaurant. Personally I don't feel like this is to an exceptionally unhealthy level (obviously it's not benefitting my health) as far as the alcohol itself is concerned, but it is a huge reason why I struggle to not gain weight in winter when I'm not physically active.

The weight thing is actually what bothers me, since the beer usually comes with fatty bar/drunk food or cramming free bar popcorn down my gullet. Not quite sure where I'm going with this train of thought or what it says about me otherwise (lack of self discipline lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Man I sympathize with pennywise. I had to do inpatient rehab for alcohol for 28 days, I’m bipolar, I used to smoke a ton of weed (don’t smoke anymore) like him, and I know all about ECT because a really lovely psych and leadership basically said do this or we med-board you outta the military.

It’s been about 8 years since I went through all that. Lost my wife for a while, but we reconciled. Now I’m capable of drinking in moderation, not smoking pot, and I take my psych meds diligently to keep all my crazy in check.

poo poo does eventually get better if you have the right tools, education, therapy, and support. That’s a tall order though, for some. Everyone in my family is in healthcare so I’ve had unusually good support through all this.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
The fact that I’m considering posting here, and that it’s not the first time I’ve considered that, means I should probably post here.

Edit: To clarify I guess, I think it’s the kind of thing where... I know how to start. That’s obvious... but I am in search of techniques to start? I dunno. PM me or post here?

windshipper fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 23, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you can't control your drinking and want to stop, this is an alright place. I'd suggest getting to an AA meeting, it's worked for a few of us here

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Just checking in with my sober buddies..

I'm still going strong

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sames. About to go on another possibly meeting free or greatly reduced meetings deployment. Gonna be alright.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Starting to get chest pains the day after I drink, even in very moderate amounts. I'm talking like one beer. It might be time to try sobriety for a while.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Or see a doctor?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"Do both" is probably the best answer.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Do both" is probably the best answer.

Yup

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I used to have angina and panic attacks after I'd drink. loving sucks.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
One week sober. I've got an appointment with a cardiologist for next week. I'm also deploying at the end of next week so let's see what kind of effect that has on my heart :buttfame:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

PM me for contact on the sober talk thing. If you can't control your drinking and want to stay stopped I know what worked for me and can share. On the dummy heart I got nothing, though

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
30 months today.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Late on it but gently caress yeah man

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I am ready to stop drinking.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

stinkypete posted:

I am ready to stop drinking.

Welcome friend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 16, 2019

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Thanks for the support it really helps.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Good morning all,

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I hit 32 months in a little under two weeks.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Still sober, calling it a win.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I quit drinking because it was exacerbating serious depression. In April it was 7 years.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Still do it Friend I am with you.

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think this has gone on for long enough, time for me to stop too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welcome friend

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Welcome friend, I hope you learn to like it here.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 21, 2019

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I got emotionally abusive with a loved lone last weekend between being depressed and drunk. I've controlled it for short stints like for PT test cutting but it's becoming a cycle that frequently repeats itself and exaggerates all my worst qualities. I would greatly prefer to never do what I did last weekend again. That'd be great. So I'm going into mental health for brain help and also going to an AA meeting this evening.

I can't be trusted with alcohol so this is my thread too now I guess.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Welcome friend. I’m sorry this happened, but I hope you are able to make amends with your loved ones.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welcome friend. We've all been there. Happy to help however we can. Feel free to post anything you're thinking or feeling.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Three years sober today.

:unsmith:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Syrian Lannister posted:

Three years sober today.

:unsmith:

hells

yes

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Made it past 10 few weeks ago. And still going. Literally have done nothing aside from most basic instructions.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Congrats.

I'm finding it easier now.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Three months next week. Still feels like the first week. Still get cravings. Still got depression -> drinking triggers. But as long as I don't pick it up or keep it in the house, I'm good so far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well done guys. I'm counting down the days to my next milestone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Four years today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:luca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007