Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FF7 question: If I missed the Added Cut materia, can I go back and get it again soon, or should I just reload the previous save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

I stopped playing FF8 right after the fight with Torg or whatever its name was. Even with random encounters turned off the game has tons of unnecessary padding that forces you to run around different places doing what amounts to fetch quests and mini games instead of letting you just move on with the plot and fight the next boss.

I like the combat and some of the fights are pretty cool but holy poo poo the slog between boss fights is agonizing.
it was NORG, all hail Master NORG, NORG is the true master of Garden

I like how he just literally had hooded robed cultists running the entire place and Cid was like "yep, seems legit, this is the best source of funding available to me"

nobody's mentioned how the generic not-moogle race literally was part of the life cycle of the mind flayers that lived in a secret underground biodome yet

8 was wild

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

FF7 question: If I missed the Added Cut materia, can I go back and get it again soon, or should I just reload the previous save?

You can return to Great Glacier pretty much whenever, so long as Cloud is the party lead.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Force Your Way is a good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pd0ALPOhnQ

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Soken's a living god but that remix didn't do it for me. I wish he went buttrock with it.

I much prefer the Black Mages version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zev79FxRjO4

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Let’s also not forget in VIII that you get to fight and murder Galbadia’s hockey team.

For reasons. And the reasons are MURDER.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Let’s also not forget in VIII that you get to fight and murder Galbadia’s hockey team.

For reasons. And the reasons are MURDER.
It's not murder, they are tamed hockey playing monsters. They taught the monsters to play hockey as a way to keep them occupied until they needed them to fight something and it was good training anyway.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

They were probably sentient.

Edit: I just looked em’ up on some wiki. Turns out they’re a “demi-human hockey team”

What the hell man?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s a hosed up world if the only opportunities for demihumans to get higher education is to go in through hockey scholarships.

Even in Final Fantasy the NCAA is loving vile.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weve barely begun discussing that human women having sorcery powers is a curse for them kicking gods rear end so hard he had to run away and never return.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somebody out here really be walking around thinking the bevelle cloister that they designed is fun and engaging gameplay huh

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

somebody out here really be walking around thinking the bevelle cloister that they designed is fun and engaging gameplay huh

It's a toss up for me if I hate that one, or the Macalania one with the fiddly as hell pedestals you have to push around more.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nah this is definitely worse. At least in Macalania you don't have this idiotic semi-random mine cart bullshit. Bevelle doesn't even let me pretend that my time has value. Quite a shock immediately after a pretty nice set of plot beats.

I'm 34 years old now and I last played this game when I was exactly half my current age. I remember the basic plot outline and some locations but I'd blotted everything related to these fuckass cloisters from my mind. Crazy what sorts of bad camera and stupid gameplay filler we used to put up with eh boys. At least the goofy-rear end music makes it slightly more bearable.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 22, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i wonder what it's like if you're a summoner and your journey starts in bevelle.

yes our religion views machinery as heresy. except these sick flamethrowers and muay thai robots. and the cool, cool escalators in our temple. we built a whole puzzle out of it!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Merilan posted:

i wonder what it's like if you're a summoner and your journey starts in bevelle.

yes our religion views machinery as heresy. except these sick flamethrowers and muay thai robots. and the cool, cool escalators in our temple. we built a whole puzzle out of it!

and the giant blitzball stadium

and television

Everybody already knows that official Yevon policy is "it's okay if we say it's okay" so I don't think the fact that Bevelle is loaded with guns and escalators comes as that much of a shock

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure Yuna's dad started in Bevelle and his journey's general feel was "me and my guardians are already considered heretics or scum, I literally had to bail Jecht out of jail just to start this, I'm going to kill sin just to rub it in everyone's smug hypocrite faces"

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 22, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't machina that's specifically blessed by priests of Yevon supposed to be okay? I thought they said something about that just before Operation Mi'hen about how it wasn't heresy because the high priests were all cool with using the guns or whatever (Wakka didn't buy it, but the average person who hadn't lost a brother to machina-related military death probably would)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Star Man posted:

Selphie is bae

normally i'd ask "how can someone with fewer lines than an NPC be your bae" but people have fallen for less

Mega64 posted:

FF5 = FF10/2

Checks out

hmm. no. 7 is the prequel to 10

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

grieving for Gandalf posted:

a lot of FF8 doesn't hold up for me because of stuff like that. did everyone who participated in the field exam beat Ifrit? did they all get an Ifrit as a GF?

no, they got to pick better GFs from other places. Ifrit was the *leftovers* because you got dunked in a mock fight thanks to your overexciteable rival.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Merilan posted:

This is something I've never understood about FFX, actually. I love the game's worldbuilding and writing but the fact our heroes were outraged by this baffles me.

We're told explicitly by Wakka and Lulu that Yevon decides which machine are good and bad. The Blitzball stadium is far , far more technologically advanced than escalators.

The guns and robots are another thing as that is explicitly the kind of machina Yevon is against but it's the simple. not-weapon machina in the temple that makes them flip out.

Mega64 posted:

It’s a hosed up world if the only opportunities for demihumans to get higher education is to go in through hockey scholarships.

Even in Final Fantasy the NCAA is loving vile.

I never thought about it but it's kinda interesting all these Square JRPGs at the time had demihumans. FFVIII, Xenogears and Chrono Cross with it being a pretty big plot element in the latter two.

You gotta figure though the entire term "demihuman" is racist as it implies that humanity is the metric all other races are judged against. Although in Xenogears' case demihumans were actually just regular humans once upon a time while they are explicitly their own species and culture in CC.

And I'm thinking too much about this. Maybe they aren't even called demihuman in Japanese.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 22, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

zedprime posted:

It's not murder, they are tamed hockey playing monsters. They taught the monsters to play hockey as a way to keep them occupied until they needed them to fight something and it was good training anyway.

Man I really do not remember FF8 clearly at all

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The White Dragon posted:

Strike that, reverse it.

Barudak posted:

Weve barely begun discussing that human women having sorcery powers is a curse for them kicking gods rear end so hard he had to run away and never return.

Specifically he got so scared that they'd kill him that he tore a part of himself off and threw it at them to give himself a chance to escape. That piece became the inherent magic that sorceresses must pass down to a new generation before they can die; they're basically immortal until they decide not to be, though it seems like trying to live too much longer than the average human makes them crazy.

Ageless immortality goes a long way towards explaining why Edea remains a youthful as she appears in-game while Cid is Discount Robin Williams, now that I think about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CeallaSo posted:

Ageless immortality goes a long way towards explaining why Edea remains a youthful as she appears in-game while Cid is Discount Robin Williams, now that I think about it.

cid has other... assets, that make him desirable to a smokin hot woman like edea

for instance his great personality

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

Strike that, reverse it.

Specifically he got so scared that they'd kill him that he tore a part of himself off and threw it at them to give himself a chance to escape. That piece became the inherent magic that sorceresses must pass down to a new generation before they can die; they're basically immortal until they decide not to be, though it seems like trying to live too much longer than the average human makes them crazy.

The whole Sorceress Immortality thing is a big part of the R=U confusion. A lot of people think Sorceresses just can't die unless they are killed and pass on their powers. Ultimecia herself has to travel through time to give her powers to Edea before she can pass on. And it makes sense that they shot Adel into space if she literally can't die without passing o n her powers.

But we're told Adel was dying and that's why she was desperate to find somebody to pass her powers on to in the first place. So I have no idea what we're supposed to think.

Shocking no one, FFVIII has bad worldbuilding.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 22, 2019

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

But we're told Adel was dying and that's why she was desperate to find somebody to pass her powers onto. A nd it makes sense that they shot Adel into space if she literally can't die without passing o n her powers.

When are we told this? Adel was a nasty dictator, and the people conned Laguna into getting rid of her for them because she didn't show any signs of going away. And when she came back, she still didn't show any signs of dying (until you kill her). I don't remember it ever being asserted that she was dying or "desperate" to find someone to pass her powers to.

Agreed that the lore is poorly explained, though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I respect FFXV's commitment to bland sidequests. These frog catching / dog tag finding / ore hunting chains would be right at home in Dragon Age: Inquisition or the MMO.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Schwartzcough posted:

When are we told this? Adel was a nasty dictator, and the people conned Laguna into getting rid of her for them because she didn't show any signs of going away. And when she came back, she still didn't show any signs of dying (until you kill her). I don't remember it ever being asserted that she was dying or "desperate" to find someone to pass her powers to.

Agreed that the lore is poorly explained, though.

The hunt for Ellone and a bunch of other girls is because Adel is looking for a successor.

They remark that someone intending to rule forever wouldn't bother with a successor, meaning Adel is planning for her own death.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I might be planning my own death but if you try to murder me I might want to live longer to spite murder you before resuming my plan to die.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Randallteal posted:

I respect FFXV's commitment to bland sidequests. These frog catching / dog tag finding / ore hunting chains would be right at home in Dragon Age: Inquisition or the MMO.

Welcome to open world gameplay.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The White Dragon posted:

normally i'd ask "how can someone with fewer lines than an NPC be your bae" but people have fallen for less

Did you even play FF8? Selphie writes a blog entry for nearly every single plot event in the game, she has a lot of lines

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Booourns posted:

Did you even play FF8? Selphie writes a blog entry for nearly every single plot event in the game, she has a lot of lines

A blog on a PC you never, ever have to go to outside the very beginning of the game.

If you weren't aware of it you could very easily go through the entire game without knowing it existed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BisbyWorl posted:

A blog on a PC you never, ever have to go to outside the very beginning of the game.

a blog on a PC you can only ever access in the room you start the game in

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

The White Dragon posted:

a blog on a PC you can only ever access in the room you start the game in

Doesn't the blog only start after the SeeD exam as well?

So you have to go to a specific room after the SeeD exam to hit up a computer that was purely info about the Garden until that point (if you even knew you could use it during gameplay period), with no real prompt that Selphie hijacked part of the network for her blog.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

well that was a sudden rush of memories I don't care much for in retrospect, thanks

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The White Dragon posted:

cid has other... assets, that make him desirable to a smokin hot woman like edea

for instance his great personality

"oops, sorry miss, I dropped my monster condom that I use for my MAGNUM DONG"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Now that's not all what Selphie's about...

She's also the first party member to suggest terrorism or murder as a method of completing nearly any SEED mission!

Lovable rascal, she is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The absolute best writing in FFVIII was this exchange:
Irvine: They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there [the D-District Prison] when the time comes.

Rinoa: You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Irvine: They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there [the D-District Prison] when the time comes.

Rinoa: You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there.

Rinoa Was Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

lmao