Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I got recommended a video by one of those storytime critic psychos and I can't believe this is a thing

I'm not hitting that last one just in case youtube takes it as reason that they should attack Quinn Curio's channel for disrupting one of their many popular moneymaker channel's growth. With how much awful poo poo happens on the website I'm sure as hell not taking any chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

so weird that the us pardoned only the warcriminals who built weapons.

vv love some macross 82-99

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 21, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been watching the Kyoto Video channel since it was linked and that's some good stuff.

Love the intro song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3goXxaeksFY

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ghostlight posted:

vv love some macross 82-99

You cannot out-health the commie threat. :eng101:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I was just reading an article about this recently. Turns out there is some Nazi medical research that’s still in use today, though Mengele didn’t have anything to do with it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcxfqqc2UYo

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I was trying to find a review of Star Wars lightsaber battles by sword and fencing nerds - and I did find this one by Buzzfeed Multiplayer of an Swordsman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrdKZEKEidQ - but dude, they have official "Saber Laser" in their fencing league in France. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQIr6NtJUw!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1164250155308085248?s=19

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Boogie still big

Also drat he really is an emotional manipulator and abuser. What a piece of poo poo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that sucks. i liked that series a ton. what won?

Twincityhacker posted:

I was trying to find a review of Star Wars lightsaber battles by sword and fencing nerds - and I did find this one by Buzzfeed Multiplayer of an Swordsman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrdKZEKEidQ - but dude, they have official "Saber Laser" in their fencing league in France. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQIr6NtJUw!

thats loving cool.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ash Crimson posted:

Boogie still big

I thought we weren't meant to comment on his weight.

I would hate to be a runner-up for a Hugo if it meant getting invited to stand outside a party where all the cool people are. It would be a marginally less tragic retelling of Charlie Gordon and the keyhole

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that sucks. i liked that series a ton. what won?

Lindsay's series was nominated for Best Related Work, which ended up being won by the fanfiction repository Archive of Our Own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

repiv posted:

Lindsay's series was nominated for Best Related Work, which ended up being won by the fanfiction repository Archive of Our Own.

gross. so good journalitic film critic loses to a site archiving gently caress fiction. thats depressing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sarah Z did an enlightening video on the subject of fanfiction and why it arises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8E_C00dKwI

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I kind of remember Lindsay saying that she in no way expected to win when going against other contender: fan fiction as a concept.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sarah Z did an enlightening video on the subject of fanfiction and why it arises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8E_C00dKwI

I feel like she rambles a bit sometimes, but she's solid.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gross. so good journalitic film critic loses to a site archiving gently caress fiction. thats depressing.

Good documentary lost to exemplary library science in the field of preserving a vast collection of outsider and amateur art.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think it was a referendum on the idea of fan fiction, which probably has special status in the world of science fiction and fantasy. The site she was up against is like 20-25 years old.

Expect the referendum on video essays in 2042.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FoldableHuman posted:

Good documentary lost to exemplary library science in the field of preserving a vast collection of outsider and amateur art.

Exactly.

A form of outsider and amateur art that is very old and until Ao3 existed had no preservation.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah was bout to say, Ao3 is a good rear end site.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
LOL fanfiction is the easy answer but there's some cool poo poo going on under the hood, and it's purely a volunteer driven work so they don't have to ban sensitive content for the sake of ad revenue or The Algorithms.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

i am sure there is some great fanfictions and some genuinly artistic stuff there. but i know my girlfriend has had a really rough time with folks in variou fan fiction communitie but that might just be facebook.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sure there is some great fanfictions and some genuinly artistic stuff there. but i know my girlfriend has had a really rough time with folks in variou fan fiction communitie but that might just be facebook.

might just be the fandom too, a lot of them are just dumpster fires you avoid at all costs.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

Like, drat, I've moved in fanfic circles for about 20 years but not thought of it as "outsider art".

And I have to chime in on the AO3 love, especially their in house legal team.

EDIT:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That sucks. It might be partially facebook because "people willing to sign their IRL name to work" is def. smaller than the whole fandom so there might be some particularities going on, but anything big or halfway active is gonna be difficult.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 22, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Like, drat, I've moved in fanfic circles for about 20 years but not thought of it as "outsider art".

i mean some of it is henry darger level of hosed up only with hosed up sex stuff and the violence. i am sure some fanfiction is fantastic, but i have sadly never come across it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean some of it is henry darger level of hosed up only with hosed up sex stuff and the violence. i am sure some fanfiction is fantastic, but i have sadly never come across it.

90% of fanfic is a garbage fire

But then there's the fanfic that's better than the original, fanfic you'd pay money for if only it didn't require someone else's work to understand the context of it

You gotta dig, but it exists

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

EDIT:

That sucks. It might be partially facebook because "people willing to sign their IRL name to work" is def. smaller than the whole fandom so there might be some particularities going on, but anything big or halfway active is gonna be difficult.

i think its worse. facebook doesn't really ban people outside obvious death threats or nudity or videos of violent animal death. they don't care if people are bullies. anyway, my girlfriend is admin so she has read fanfiction sent by friend, most of whome are middle aged women and its mostly weird rape fantasies and slash fiction. like one of them really likes the witcher, but she has never played the games or read the books or even watched lps. but she still writes hosed up fanfiction. like i find it amusing hearing about some boomer lady wanting to get railed by geralt of rivia and jon snow at the same time when she doesn't actually watch any of the stuff.

another middle age woman who used to be a good friend got mad that my girlfriend didn't defend her in argument where she called someone antisemitic for not liking her arya/possibly gendry or someone else gently caress fantasy. there was no anti jewish stuff. just that other lady didn't like it. my girlfriend was broken up about it for weeks because this rear end in a top hat was one of her few friends.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 22, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dancingbears posted:

90% of fanfic is a garbage fire

But then there's the fanfic that's better than the original, fanfic you'd pay money for if only it didn't require someone else's work to understand the context of it

You gotta dig, but it exists

oh i am sure. but its way too much effort for myself to dig for gold in piles of poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Like other instances of outsider art, the principal purpose may not be as much as to create a great art object as much as to form community or assert the reality of experience or have some kind of therapeutic effect (The Sarah Z video might get into this—I can’t watch it right now to see).

Like it’s not some kind of tool of political liberation or something, but I’m cool with letting people have things that matter to them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Like other instances of outsider art, the principal purpose may not be as much as to create a great art object as much as to form community or assert the reality of experience or have some kind of therapeutic effect (The Sarah Z video might get into this—I can’t watch it right now to see).

Like it’s not some kind of tool of political liberation or something, but I’m cool with letting people have things that matter to them.

oh i agree. it makes people feel better and have their escape, its why I play video games, or talk on here or read about history or play with pets. its therapeutic and its good to have healtyish outlets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I thought we weren't meant to comment on his weight.

I would hate to be a runner-up for a Hugo if it meant getting invited to stand outside a party where all the cool people are. It would be a marginally less tragic retelling of Charlie Gordon and the keyhole

I don't know, I'd love to hang-out at the Loser's party.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hey I liked Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. :colbert:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Naruto is best enjoyed by reading one of the fanfics that takes the characters and world and doesn't just waste them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grouchio posted:

Hey I liked Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. :colbert:

Why

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I too enjoy fanfiction of children's literature as envisaged by someone who actually thinks everyone is a simulation being tortured by a futuristic AI for not thinking of inventing it in the first place

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Oh man, George R.R. Martin was in the room when the ultimate fan fiction archive won a Hugo? I can feel the eye roll and annoyed sigh from here.

Anyway, new Nick Knacks for you, this time on Bananaman, the fruit-themed superhero cartoon voiced by The Goodies. Also, we've reached 1985, which means Nickelodeon getting bought by Viacom!

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
A good start into finding good fics is by google searching "[Fandom] fic recs" and going from there, or by filtering by most comments/bookmarks/kudos. It's not a perfect solution, since there's plenty of good stuff that hardly gets views because it has a weird premise/not popular pairing/was written way later than the fandom's prime days, but it is a start. And AO3 has many filtering options.

Fanfiction, once you think about it, is fascinating to think about how it plays, as SEW explained in his Simpson's video, into ideas that go beyond the limitations of the original work. I really recommend ppl to look at Avengers' fics over time to see this (reading "Avengers' Tower Family" fics from 2012 today is wild in a "honey, you have no idea" way).

As many have said before, the catch is that many write fanfic as a community bonding thing/personal fantasy projection, and the fact that everyone can upload everything means most of it is not made with the explicit intent of being an art piece.

Also, as Sarah Z mentions, for every straight woman slash fetish fic, there are LGBT+ ppl using it as a tool to express themselves, as a response to the lack of LGBT+ representation in media and queerbaiting, and to explore their gender/sexuality (that's what I did when I was a young teen before I realized I was bi)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poparena posted:

Oh man, George R.R. Martin was in the room when the ultimate fan fiction archive won a Hugo? I can feel the eye roll and annoyed sigh from here.
I mean, he started in fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeah but once he got big he started harping on it as being lazy.