Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

The werewolf beat reminds me of a lovely suggestion for interaction that a Beast should threaten to reveal a Demon not realizing this is an utterly stupid and horrible idea.

This is perhaps the strongest evidence for the fact that Beast is just White Wolf fanfiction. The original-character-do-not-steal is always allowed to tug on Voldemort's tail and get away with it, or flaunt basic established social rules and be liked anyway, because the setting conventions that prevent "real" characters from doing these things don't apply when the writer of the story you're in is on your side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

personally i think more beasts should be encouraged to try and reveal demons because it'll be the last thing they ever do and you can whittle their numbers down to zero via attrition

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
God, Beast was already trash when it was "reminding people of REAL WORLD HORROR for reasons" and now it's just cruelty for cruelty's sake? Just make your char kil themselves, they're pointless.

What's Contagion?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beasts need weird setting omniscience because otherwise their 'kinship' gimmick collapses in on itself pathetically. This shows up in their 'kinship powers' as well- a lot of them are really uninteresting but they build on the themes of the splat from an OOC perspective. Their whole 'I am a meta-monster that knows the kind of fear you inspire' is ludicrous because the horror themes aren't an in-universe construct; Beasts are running around treating the world like the horror setting it is but that won't make sense to others.

It's like how they encourage Prometheans to abandon humanity for cool monster powers; Beasts embody a certain OOC perspective IC that the point is to play a horror game so you should get out there and do some horror... but also they don't have any sense of personal horror, just inflicting horror on others. Which is to say, the most boring take on the horror fantasy milieu of the Chronicles.

E: also, this points to why they'd just get murdered by every other major splat: the horror other splats inspire is generally an undesirable byproduct of attempting to pursue their own goals. A Beast is offering to make your car produce more exhaust and noise with their kinship powers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JcDent posted:

God, Beast was already trash when it was "reminding people of REAL WORLD HORROR for reasons" and now it's just cruelty for cruelty's sake? Just make your char kil themselves, they're pointless.

What's Contagion?

A book full of crossover chronicle ideas that wasn't very well received by anyone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

A book full of crossover chronicle ideas that wasn't very well received by anyone.
As someone who backed it at physical book tier and then tumbled all the way down to a dollar by the end:
- It has a framework of cute power additions that only really make sense in the context of the chronicle's throughline of weird supernatural plagues or working with other supernaturals, and honestly the best ones IIRC just made me want to play Demon some more instead
- Said throughline is inconsistently written across chapters and half the time the settings seem less like "here's the status and here are plot hooks" and more "witness my clockwork setting, all pieces accounted for. just kinda hang around for awhile" depending on who handled it
- And the antagonists aren't even that cool! I was sold on Abyssal John Carpenter's The Thing With More Weirdness and got vampire ghosts that make you sad
- Also the PC factions don't really make a lot of sense half the time, or have any hooks for any of the settings beyond "ok we're playing here for this chronicle go"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

Say, do these guys also automatically know all this, too? I've never really thought about that part, but isn't that meant to be a huge part of NWoD? That nobody really easily recognizes one another on sight because every line is wrapped up in its own problems and really only deals with the others when they intersect? Do Beasts just know what a Promethean is and immediately start thinking about how they can ruin someone else's spiritual journey to grasp the essence of humanity?

Generally speaking? No, all this relies on someone sitting down and explaining to them all the lore of Promethean. At base, all a Beast is going to know is 'wow, that weirdo corpse-man sure seems to be hated by everyone for no reason.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

As someone who backed it at physical book tier and then tumbled all the way down to a dollar by the end:
- It has a framework of cute power additions that only really make sense in the context of the chronicle's throughline of weird supernatural plagues or working with other supernaturals, and honestly the best ones IIRC just made me want to play Demon some more instead
- Said throughline is inconsistently written across chapters and half the time the settings seem less like "here's the status and here are plot hooks" and more "witness my clockwork setting, all pieces accounted for. just kinda hang around for awhile" depending on who handled it
- And the antagonists aren't even that cool! I was sold on Abyssal John Carpenter's The Thing With More Weirdness and got vampire ghosts that make you sad
- Also the PC factions don't really make a lot of sense half the time, or have any hooks for any of the settings beyond "ok we're playing here for this chronicle go"

You forgot the part where despite the actual effects being highly detailed and specific, the causes, basic nature and so on of the crossover throughline were deliberately obscured. Like not 'here's a few examples of what might be causing this' but instead 'there is a cause for this, and the cause is <insert goose honk noises> so your ST can make it up entirely, without guidance beyond "it hates the God-Machine"'

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Beasts need weird setting omniscience because otherwise their 'kinship' gimmick collapses in on itself pathetically. This shows up in their 'kinship powers' as well- a lot of them are really uninteresting but they build on the themes of the splat from an OOC perspective. Their whole 'I am a meta-monster that knows the kind of fear you inspire' is ludicrous because the horror themes aren't an in-universe construct; Beasts are running around treating the world like the horror setting it is but that won't make sense to others.

It's like how they encourage Prometheans to abandon humanity for cool monster powers; Beasts embody a certain OOC perspective IC that the point is to play a horror game so you should get out there and do some horror... but also they don't have any sense of personal horror, just inflicting horror on others. Which is to say, the most boring take on the horror fantasy milieu of the Chronicles.

E: also, this points to why they'd just get murdered by every other major splat: the horror other splats inspire is generally an undesirable byproduct of attempting to pursue their own goals. A Beast is offering to make your car produce more exhaust and noise with their kinship powers.

A beast managing to avoid being killed by antagonizing so many different gribblies they're constantly getting in each others way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Generally speaking? No, all this relies on someone sitting down and explaining to them all the lore of Promethean. At base, all a Beast is going to know is 'wow, that weirdo corpse-man sure seems to be hated by everyone for no reason.'

It's basically assumed that whoever brought you into the whole Beast thing sat you down and explained all the supernatural groups to you, as Beasts have a vested interest in being at least casually aware of what everyone's deal is.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

You forgot the part where despite the actual effects being highly detailed and specific, the causes, basic nature and so on of the crossover throughline were deliberately obscured. Like not 'here's a few examples of what might be causing this' but instead 'there is a cause for this, and the cause is <insert goose honk noises> so your ST can make it up entirely, without guidance beyond "it hates the God-Machine"'
gently caress it's bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

It's basically assumed that whoever brought you into the whole Beast thing sat you down and explained all the supernatural groups to you, as Beasts have a vested interest in being at least casually aware of what everyone's deal is.

It is important to remember: the total number of Prometheans in the world is pretty drat small. Beasts are just absurdly well-informed for not very good reasons.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Beast was, iirc, originally intended to be a crossover splat--so the beloved-but-less-popular lines like Promethean could attach a Promethean PC into a Beast game, letting you play the character you want, but could never get a group for. So it wouldn't necessarily be that Beasts automatically know everything about all supernaturals, but that your group would have a backstory that included "and that's how Frankenstein met Smaug while hanging out in a decaying steel town." Beast is... really bad about actually facilitating that, but I think that was the reasoning.

Beasts would make good Promethean antagonists, though--they're inhumanity cheerleaders who fundamentally don't understand why a Promethean would voluntarily give up their powerful inhumanity to become a weak, easily victimized human.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And that's the thing - everything written about Beasts makes them horrible PC splats, but they would make for decent villains but WoD doesn't really need any more antagonist splats.

But the fact the writer of the line is a rapist himself would explain why he doesn't understand why the fact Beasts paling around with True Fae, see no issue in turning Changelings over to true fay, or forcing Prometheans to abandon their journey, or exposing demons are horrible, violating things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Beast is worse than every WW fan game I've ever seen, including Genius and Princess and Dolls: Children of the Dollhouse. And all of the Highlander ones, too.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's still baffling that Beast just has nothing for the players to do besides feed on innocent people. It just has no major hooks.

I wasn't joking when I compared Beast to Postal 2.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Inhuman beasts that parasize off of supernatural beings is a fantastic concept for an antagonistic force, that it's a player playbook is a waste of a cool concept

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ChaseSP posted:

Inhuman beasts that parasize off of supernatural beings is a fantastic concept for an antagonistic force, that it's a player playbook is a waste of a cool concept

Now I want to write up the latest Werewolf monster manual book so we can see some real body horror parasite gribblies.

(And also the Geryo, who are, uh...well, I mean, they're body horror monsters, but less cool than the other body horror monsters.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

It is important to remember: the total number of Prometheans in the world is pretty drat small. Beasts are just absurdly well-informed for not very good reasons.

Yeah, in 2E it says there's maybe a hundred at a given time. All of them frequently on the move and many of them socially awkward to say the least.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

And that's the thing - everything written about Beasts makes them horrible PC splats, but they would make for decent villains but WoD doesn't really need any more antagonist splats.

But the fact the writer of the line is a rapist himself would explain why he doesn't understand why the fact Beasts paling around with True Fae, see no issue in turning Changelings over to true fay, or forcing Prometheans to abandon their journey, or exposing demons are horrible, violating things.

I was going to say that Beast is a splat of author inserts, but I've been beaten.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bieeanshee posted:

I was going to say that Beast is a splat of author inserts, but I've been beaten.

remember one of the beast short stories is a beast mad that their Promethean friend actually succeeded in becoming human and tried to drag them back with all the overtones of someone trying to force a gay or trans person back into the closet

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Prometheans are my favorite WoD people and trying to destroy their Pilgrimages makes someone the worst. They just want to discover humanity in all its good and ill and go on a spiritual journey fraught with peril, dangit.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012
In a sick, twisted way, Beasts really are a true cross-gameline splat.

As in, every other supernatural has a drat good reason to form a compact to erase them utterly from the World of Darkness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seatox posted:

In a sick, twisted way, Beasts really are a true cross-gameline splat.

As in, every other supernatural has a drat good reason to form a compact to erase them utterly from the World of Darkness.

Splat by Splat

- Beasts disrupt the Herd, so vampires would at the least be irritated by them.
-Beasts just doing their thing would cause huge problems in the Shadow so Uratha would probably exterminate them.
-Mages... I dunno, I mean are Beasts supposed to be some sort of repositories of Super Secret Lore?

I'm not even sure how what the hook is for Beasts interacting with Changelings, Geists and Prometheans.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Okua posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm intrigued by ^PM AGEStOrm Age Master® and looking forward to more of... whatever it is.

Beers have been acquired. Nap has been had. The show must go on!

^PM AGEStOrm Age Master®: We're talking about content now!

Skipping the foreword, I thought we would start off with the "analogue" or introductory fiction. Again, edited for your reading pleasure.

Analogue posted:

You roll through the realizations of your plans being ready means you are going to have to make them for the first quest that comes to you. Standing up from your sleep, you grab at the day in denial; and the new area you think you are going to end up in. You'll have to get something for your change of plans re-bracing your old paraphernalia and strategies to be complacements for adapting and altering for "Filling" for the quest pot (or cooking pot/area pot) but it's equipment that shows your new direction.

You know that stresses the authorities here but they, at least, feel it's worth that finally they'll get some goals done. You know you're finally gonna have the chance to find those answers to strict ponderings you often came to being prodded to answer in your past Wisdom Peakings. One more thing you notice in a perfectly awakened world is that the closer you come to doing something that'll bring up a journey question you would find an answer for, the less analyzing sturdiness you need to conclude any questions and the less ponderings in life you see coming.

Knowing what real life is, finally, you start seeing the real balanced world again, as you feel like you're breathing fresh air lifting your head up from the Fantasy Peaks. You're not questionably too lazy to prevent yourself from tripping on too many unanswered things. Authoritatively, you now easily traverse the unsteady questionable and quivering Wisdoms which, without as many challenging questionables-obstacles in the way, the feeling that you could be taken advantage of while putting up dozens of fake answers just toget lunch is gone.

It almost makes sense, as if I'm reading an RPG from the height of the late '90s/early '00s. Something about that is appealing to me but I can't quite put my finger on it.

But enough about the fiction. You're here for the game. I'm most definitely not stalling to keep from getting there.

Character Grasp Scar

I'll be honest. I'm not going to provide an itemized list of game terms because most of them are word-salad-ish. I'll provide some highlights, though.

There are three attributes called "peaks" - Heart Peak, Attack Peak, and Defense Peak. These appear to be pools of some type as each has a corresponding "Current *" attribute. Maybe the version without "Current" prepended is your base value. I assumed that Heart Peak represented some sort of HP-type thing as it's described as "life points" but a later attribute, Heart Flow, is actually described as "health".

There are a few attributes I'll have to steal for later use as well - Happenstance Avoidance, Musclenary (strength), Re Mind (personality), Movement Height (dexterity), and Spiritual Axis Revolationater (willpower). There are a few more but, fun terminology aside, they're what you're probably used to. Spontaneous Attack/Defense (whose descriptions lead me to believe they're basically "magic attack/defense"), Remember (memory), Reflexes. The parens in this paragraph weren't added by me. I never would have guessed that Spiritual Axis Revolationater meant willpower unless the game included a set of parens after it delineating that.

There are skill levels, skill points, and maximum skill levels for both adventure and non-adventure skills but no concrete numbers for any of them. There's also at least four categories of something called "life climb challenges", which seems like it's the game's level up mechanic.

Character Peaks, or attributes for you normies

Following the list of attributes ("character peaks" in ^PM AGEStOrm parlance) is a more in-depth description of each. Most are fairly straightforward (he says, as if anything in this book can be) so I'll only be talking about things that catch my eye.

Your carry weight is equal to your Musclenary in pounds. This may be an issue as we're soon going to see that all of the races start with a Musclenary of 5. Musclenary is also the attribute used when attacking with axes.

Movement Height dictates your walking speed in feet per two seconds and is used when attacking with a sword. Likewise, all races start with a 5.

Remember, in addition to denoting the number of 1/7 spell faucets added to your spell pool (roundabout way of saying Remember/7 spell faucets?), is the bow attribute. Every race starts with, you guessed it, 5.

Reflexes seems to denote a percentage chance to trigger parries, counterattacks, and a few other things. It's also the attribute for improvised weapons (or, in ^PM AGEStOrm parlance, "random/random-use-of-something"). Another 5.

Heart Flow adds directly to Heart Peak. I'm assuming Heart Flow + Heart Peak is your Current Heart Peak. Sort of makes sense in the context of the game thus far if you squint a bit. It's also used for spears. 5 is your starting value.

Re Mind's only use is for blunt weapons. Another 5.

The final attribute, Spiritual Axis Revolationater, is very :words: . It's an A-K lettered list describing everything from maximum spell levels to spell resistance, Conscious Facet recovery per hour of sleep, number of spells per day, and a few other aspects. It's also the dagger attribute. These are all described in the form of 'Thing is Every "X" Spiritual Axis Revolationator= Y'. That's a confusing sentence that bears two examples and my attempt at interpretation. Are you sensing a theme in the starting attribute values yet? If not, I'll give you a hint. This one's a 5.

^PM AGEStOrm posted:

A.} Current Maximum Level of Spells Allowed for Adventure Height-related Spells is Every "10" Spiritual Axis Revolationater= 1
E.} Current Conscious Faucet Points acquired foor All Adventure Heights, to, "Cast a Spell" is Every "1" Spiritual Axis Revolationater= 2

Flail Snail posted:

A. Maximum Spell Level for Adventure Height spells is one tenth of your SAR value.
E. Every point of SAR gives two Conscious Facet Points, which I'm assuming is this game's expendable magic casting resource.

Combat, I guess

When using a weapon, your weapon skill is half of your character peak attack guider. CPAG is a fancy way of saying "that attribute I said you use for this weapon type". Those attributes give additional bonuses to the use of their associated weapons as well. When using an axe, for instance, you get a (Musclenary/5) * 3% chance of getting a +10 bonus on a given attack roll and the same chance of 20 additional points of damage. There's a maximum of 60% for each, mathing out to a Musclenary score of 100. So I guess you have to roll before rolling your attack to see if you get the attack bonus and then roll before rolling your damage to see if you get the damage bonus.

After a list of bonuses per weapon are the actual combat rules. These consist of about four paragraphs stretching across two and a half pages so I hope you'll forgive me for not bothering too much. In summary, you can do something called a "Call". "Craxl", "Craxls", "Craxlr", and "Craxlty" are all things that exist. You get five actions per round. Attacking takes two of them. I believe that various things like moving quickly reduce that number. One of the rules results in "a lot of muffling around" and "I don't wanna hear all you little nerds out there that wanna use this rule" so whatever rule that was is optional. How about we just skip the rest and say we reviewed it?

There's an entire series of nested lists with internal references that the Age Master gets to consult when enemies attack while unseen. Again, let's not and say we did. It's two and a half full pages.

And with that...

Rowm Scar

The beginning of this chapter defines things common to all humanoids, I guess. You're all size M. Coincidentally that happens to be in the middle of the alphabet. Other size options include everything from A to Z. There's an entire series of nested lists denoting what bonuses a size M character gets versus every single size category. Ten full pages. It includes stuff like this, abbreviated because I'm not typing out the full thing.

quote:

M.} Size M vs. Size M
[1...]
13.} Other skill penalties=
14.} Other skill bonuses=
15.} Other spell penalties=
16.} Other spell bonuses=
17.} Other
[... up to 32]

Skipping all of that brings us to the rowm list. The six races are Human, Eclipse Dwarf, Skymirror Elf, Halfling, Barbarian, and Vampire. They're all statistically identical but each has special abilities in their description. Skymirror elves, amongst other things, can heal all of the party's wounds three times a day while humans seem to be able to call NPC allies in the area for assistance.

You know how last time I mentioned the character sheet could be longer than it is? This bears a picture. Enjoy?

Guilds Scar

Skipping. These exist. Fiat the characters into one.

Adventure Height Scar

Classes. There are six of them - Fighter, Wizard, Ranger, Healer, Thief, and Assassin. Each has a list of favors and non-favors. Fighters, for instance, favor attacking, defending, general skills, and fighter skills while they non-favor magic.

Classes don't give you much besides the ability to ask or answer questions, metaphorically or otherwise. This bears an edited example because I really don't know how to describe this.

quote:

Fighter
The answers you're looking for are easy; Dreams for you to wake in the land with all the time, but only after you ask the right questions while in an endless obstacle.

Wizard
They found magic shelters in the magic of everyone enjoying traveling. The answers you're looking for are already known but you need a strong shelter.

Healer
Healer can ask anything at any end of a question of whether or not it believes it can be healed if it were not able to be answered here or there. Anything can be healed if it's the right answer to help it there whether or not it can get something more with a good or correct answer for any of its troubles. [...] Healer has an answering vision of a safety rope from the end that can try to help the healer when he/she asks the right question or it can help the healer procede a couple more steps forward.

So these are definitely a thing. I think if someone with a better grasp of game design and/or reality created a system based around this whole question/answer thing, it could be neat. But this is inscrutable.

Up next: Equipment, I guess? I'll be skipping about 50 pages of miscellaneous nonsense to get there, though.

Flail Snail fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 22, 2019

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Flail Snail posted:

Beers have been acquired. Nap has been had. The show must go on!

They should have sent a poet.

This is... beautiful. It's a love leter to not-quite-language. A prayer to the gods of not playtesting.

This is why I read F&F every day.

Thank you, Flail Snail. Thank you.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

The more I see about Beasts, the more I wonder how a Heroes game would go. You're some rando that suddenly starts having the cravings to act like a hero at all time, no matter what it does to your life.

Holy poo poo. Reverse Beast is just Hitmen For Destiny and I am here for it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah this isn't fun anymore and just makes me worried about the author's mental state. Not gonna armchair psychologist or whatever, but that reads a lot like what my friend with sever bi-polar disorder writes sometimes.

Also tracking number of stomachs????????????????????????????????

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kurieg posted:

Or if you have a hunger for transgression you c-

quote:

quote: Changelings understand transgression all too well. The True Fae twist their victims into mockeries, forcing changelings to transgress against human morality as playthings and hunting dogs, or slaves to any manner of grotesque desire. Enablers must respect these traumas if they want Kinship, and thoughtful Beasts find that harvesting Glamour for them makes a good ice breaker. Enablers are experts in emotional manipulation — sin so often leads to guilt, joy, dread, and anger all at once. With a few well-placed Nightmares, the Lost may reconsider their stance on deals with the devil.

OKAY gently caress THIS NOISE
That's enough of this chapter.

Next time: Chapter 3, When Beasts have Babies it's exactly as creepy as you think it should be, but it's on purpose.

Funny, I was just idly musing on the number of successes and contracts required to plausibly pull off a series of chain german suplexes ending in one of Zangief's spinning piledrivers on my red-raging summer courtier.

FUNNY.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUNNNNNNNNNNNY.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

-Beasts just doing their thing would cause huge problems in the Shadow so Uratha would probably exterminate them.

IIRC Beasts are humans who got hollowed out by an Ancient Evil devouring their soul who is now driving their spiritual husk around like a tonka truck.

For Uratha, dealing with that is just another Tuesday. This Ridden seems slightly less disturbing than the one I killed yesterday, nothing else memorable about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC Beasts are humans who got hollowed out by an Ancient Evil devouring their soul who is now driving their spiritual husk around like a tonka truck.

For Uratha, dealing with that is just another Tuesday. This Ridden seems slightly less disturbing than the one I killed yesterday, nothing else memorable about it.

True. "At least THIS one didn't explode into a horde of spiders."

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The Lone Badger posted:

see when you say it like that Beasts sound cool, instead of being the school shooter version of sailor moon

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Splat by Splat

- Beasts disrupt the Herd, so vampires would at the least be irritated by them.
-Mages... I dunno, I mean are Beasts supposed to be some sort of repositories of Super Secret Lore?

I'm not even sure how what the hook is for Beasts interacting with Changelings, Geists and Prometheans.

A Beast who does Beast Things will ping a nearby Mage's Mage Sight, and Mages are addicted to unraveling mysteries - and there's a lot of Mage factions who would look on beasts with severe antipathy once they grasped exactly what a Beast does. Even the Seers would be dubious about letting a bunch of uncontrolled mutant goetia run around freely making GBS threads up the Exarchs' property. That's not even getting into the type of beast who feeds on "Humbling the Proud", aka attacking Mages (and probably getting whacked by the Mage + their cabal).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dawgstar posted:

Seers of the Throne (antagonist Mage organization) would love Beasts, in the sense that immiserating the human soul is their day job, and Beasts are basically fire-and-forget weapons for reducing human potential without actually having any chance of actually causing people to reach for enlightenment to oppose them. Seers would never want to actually treat a Beast like a person, but Seers barely treat other Seers like people so they can probably get along.

Diamond Alliance Mages (most of the protagonist-y organization, Platonic occult revolutionaries in theory) would see Beasts as obvious flaws in the world who should be dissected for magical knowledge but also, and more importantly, they want to see human knowledge and power scale the cosmos and the attitudes of a Beast would be a slap in the face. The behavior of a Beast would be double that. The only reason they wouldn't be hunting down Beasts on the regular would be because they probably wouldn't consider Beasts a meaningful front in the Ascension War (same goes for vampires) but the minute a Beast starts infecting a large area of the Astral I can't imagine many Silver Ladder or Adamantine Arrow members who wouldn't at least consider hunting the Beast down and ejecting them from reality with extreme prejudice. Guardians of the Veil might try to use a Beast for their own purposes to encourage or discourage Awakenings but frankly, Guardians are much scarier than Beasts and 100% would treat them as assets, not friends.

The Free Council (an allied protagonist type to the Diamond mages), are extremely varied but include the kind of people who use an AK-47 as a magical tool. Their three tenets are democracy, violent revolution, and the sanctity of humanity as a whole. While not every Free Council mage would literally respond to Beasts with 'summon shotgun' the basic Free Council response to Beasts would be something one measures in force per square inch.

The aggressive occult revolutionary humanism of the protagonist Mages is not, shall we say, a path to virtue... but it's certainly a path to throwing lightning at the rear end in a top hat abuse dragon that moved onto your turf.

Oh and also Beasts have a whole thing about not letting Mysteries-with-the-capital-M be unraveled because yadda yadda metahorror which would piss off any neutral Mage, because the one thing Mages like more than high-minded excuses for throwing lightning is digging into Mysteries, especially the capital M kind.

(The Tremere, the soul-eating horrifying vampire mage organization, would probably pursue Beasts on the basis that they can eat souls and anyone who touches a soul is touching Tremere property, but Tremere probably have worse things to do with their time.)

E: oh yeah, any Beast who decided to humble the hubris of a Mage basically has two options: Kill them, or become an object lesson in why hubris is a coward's word, eventually. Mages take in mystery and exhale hubris as their basic mode of existence, plus they have extremely powerful freeform magic.

EE: A werewolf will still smoke a mage under most circumstances, to be clear, and a Beast with the claws powers could probably kill a mage by ambushing them, but when Mages get to set the terms of an encounter they can be terrifying.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 22, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Beast the Primordial Player's Guide: Chapter 3 Part 1-Unleashing the Horror

Hey kids, did you want new rules and mechanics?
Well too bad, like a disappointing Santa Claus this is more about what I have extras of than what you actually want to sit down while I open up this disgusting fleshy bag of gifts.

Atavisms
The Inguma have a few interesting Atavisms, mostly revolving around their ability to infiltrate socially. Alien Mindset makes it nearly impossible for people to follow your thought process, either through social maneuvering or skills. At low satiety you can give people false information about your Legend and Life, and with a Satiety expenditure you can just gain a new hunger trait for a scene if a particularly juicy target arrived and you want to get in on that action. Doppleganger lets you grow and/or craft a duplicate of a person that lasts as long as they remain in your possession and unconscious. The doppleganger has all the skills/traits/memories of the person but is unswervingly loyal to you. With a satiety expenditure you can put your horror into the Dopple to control it directly(but you don't have the ganger's skills or traits), alternately if you're in your lair you can instead teleport to and viscerally explode out of said doppleganger. Enemy Within lets you transform into a copy of someone, if you expend satiety your copy is so good it has your target's DNA and can even fool them.

Talassii have... uhh, one very very very good power, and some other ones. Caught in the Webs is ridiculous. With a thrown or touch attack you gradually ensnare someone in something that varies from Beast to Beast thematically. This reduces their dexterity by your lair/2(rounding up and stacking), if it hits zero they are now immobilized. This is a ludicrous combat power, particularly if you can do this while remaining unseen. At low satiety they inflict bashing damage for even trying to do anything while ensnared, and with an expenditure you just spray webs out everywhere around you. Crushing Coils gives you an iron grip. So long as nothing opposes you you can hold onto anything forever. At low satiety you can hold onto anything even if doing so would violate the laws of physics and/or the structural integrity of your fleshy body. Grab onto a speeding car? Doable. Replicate the helipad scene from Winter Soldier? Doable. Keep two train cars coupled with your butt cheeks? Why the hell aren't you doing it already? Illusion of Safety lets you supernaturally case a joint just by looking at it for a few seconds, and gives you a bonus to infiltrate it. Low satiety allows you to make it more difficult for other people to escape once you're inside an area, and an expenditure lets you turn an exit into a portal to your Lair.

The rest of the families get two each. Anakim gets a power that lets them attack people by punching the ground or make rock arms out of the ground to punch people for them. They also get a weird combo platter power that lets them automatically intimidate people by beating them in any opposed contest, scare his allies into doing better(and also giving them an integrity break if they do TOO well), or just scare everyone in the room. Ugallu basically get 3.5's spring attack feat. And ability that allows them to strip away armor/natural armor in combat, as well as excel in social maneuvering. Makara get a power that lets them eat basically anything, including people if they're at low satiety. The wording is really weird such that if they actually manage to swallow a person at low satiety they're just... swallowed. Proably dead. With a satiety expenditure they split themselves vertically into a giant mouth with arms and legs that actually does have an escape condition if you get swallowed (but it's easier to swallow someone) so I have no idea. Their second power gives them a lot of defensive power, because somehow you're manipulating the currents or something? Eshmaki can either snuff out all light around them(and at low satiety redirect the light directly into the targets eyes?) or eat someone's shadow to become it. If they're aware of this happening they can try and disrupt the beast but the only thing that can harm a shadow beast is fire. Otherwise you're just.. their shadow. You can use nightmares on the person who's shadow you are without eye contact(because you don't have eyes) and at low satiety you can use atavisms? Somehow?

Namtaru however won the loving Atavism lottery. Skin Deep lets you shapeshift out things like claws, gliding wings, armor, etc. This is explicitly an action of the primordial dream and will just straight up inflict a breaking point on mortals(and thus will trigger Heroes who can track you) but it's pretty ridiculous.
That's their least powerful addition this time around.

Plague Bearer Atavism posted:

Plague Bearer
Namtar — for whom the Namtaru are named — commanded 60 diseases to infect his victims. Modern-day Gorgons believe Namtar aimed low. These Namtaru collect diseases they’ve sampled through touch, taste, or scent, and distill them to deliver via this Atavism.
Dice Pool: Strength + Medicine – Stamina
Action: Instant (normal effect and Satiety expenditure) or Reflexive (low Satiety)
Normal Effect: With a touch (and a successful roll), the Beast infects her victim with a non-fatal disease. If in combat, the victim suffers the moderate version of the Sick Tilt. Outside of combat, the victim suffers a disease (Beast: The Primordial, p. 171) with Severity equal to Lair dots that inflicts bashing damage equal to Lair dots at an interval of (12 – Lair dots) hours. The victim must achieve (Strength + Lair dots) consecutive successes to overcome the disease. The Beast can infect a number of victims equal to her Lair at once.
Low Satiety: A miasma of sickness surrounds the hungry Beast. Anyone who comes within (Lair dots) yards must succeed in a Stamina + Resolve – Lair roll or suffer disease as per the normal effect. In addition, victims gain either the Confused, Fatigued, or Lethargic Conditions from the rapid onset of symptoms. If a character remains near the Beast longer than (Stamina) turns, she must test for infection again. An exceptional success renders her immune for the remainder of the scene.
"But Kurieg", you say, "that doesn't seem very powerful."

Motherfucking Satiety Expenditure Baby posted:

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast unleashes plagues of potentially biblical proportions. Everyone within (Lair dots x 10) yards of the Beast must succeed in a Stamina + Resolve – Lair dots roll or gain the Pestilence (Asymptomatic) Condition. The infectious zone moves with the Beast for the remainder of the scene. Supernatural creatures are immune to infection.

quote:

CONDITION: PESTILENCE
(SYMPTOMATIC OR ASYMPTOMATIC)
Your character carries a deadly disease, of which he may be unaware. Those with the Symptomatic version are clearly sick and infectious, suffering a disease inflicting lethal damage equal to the Beast’s Lair dots, with a severity equal to the original Beast’s Strength + Lair dots. Characters without precautions or protective gear who spend more than a few minutes with the infected must roll Stamina + Resolve – Severity, suffering the Symptomatic version on a failure, and the Asymptomatic version on a dramatic failure. Success protects the character until re-exposed, whereas exceptional success renders the character permanently immune from the disease.
Possible Sources: The Plague Bearer Atavism.
Resolution: The character receives intensive medical care and aggressive cocktails of drugs. He makes a weekly extended Stamina + Resolve – Severity roll, requiring 10 + Lair dots successes. The cure impacts the character’s body. Each time the player rolls, the character suffers one point of bashing damage on a success, one point lethal damage on a failure, or one point of aggravated damage on a dramatic failure as his organs begin to fail. He avoids further injury on an exceptional success.
Beat: An Asymptomatic carrier gains a Beat if he voluntarily surrenders himself for treatment. A Symptomatic sufferer gains a Beat if she survives the treatment.
I applaud the restraint of whoever wrote this power for not just putting "USE THIS IN AN AIRPORT" in 72pt font across the page. The satiety expenditure on this power is ridiculous. And is like, permanent feeding opportunities for a very very long time as your new black death works its way across the nation.

Nightmares
To be fair, I'm not really a fan of nightmares. They roughly fall into one of a few groups, either "This is something you use in combat", "this is something you use to make social maneuvering a joke", or "This is just an incredibly dickish thing to do to somebody." Though several of their exceptional successes have "This fulfills your feeding condition" you usually don't want to feed at high satiety, unless you spend down to starving after you invoke it i guess?

For instance.

quote:

This Is Due Tomorrow
You knew the assignment was easy, that you could definitely get this done. Now you’re stuck. Every time you look at that damned empty space where your work should be, you can feel the anxiety crawl down your spine. Whatever you create will be worthless and you’re never going be able to make this up with what little time you have left.
Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
Normal: The Beast chooses a project or an action that the victim would normally have to complete for their career or daily life. For the average person, these are projects like account reports or a university thesis rather than defusing bombs, unless the victim happened to be an EOD officer. Any attempt the victim makes to finish the project costs one Willpower.
High Satiety: Every impediment is worse than the victim originally thought. Even a simple setback makes it feel like it would just be better to start it all over again. Any failed rolls relating to fulfilling the project on the part of the victim count as dramatic failures.
Satiety Expenditure: Feeling the panic well up inside of her, the victim focuses on distracting herself from the feeling
of impending doom hanging over her. She gains the Fugue Condition with the triggering event of trying to finish her
intended project.
Exceptional Success: The victim gains the Shaken Condition.
I'm in this photo and I don't like it.
I'm really struggling to figure out how to use this in a way that isn't just "loving with the normies."

quote:

We’re Going Down!
She was handling just fine a second ago but now she’s throwing warning alarms you’ve never even heard of! You can feel the stupid ape brain inside of you insisting people were not meant to go this fast. Now all that’s left to do is scream as your metal coffin goes plunging into the broken earth.
Dice Pool: Presence + Satiety vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance
Normal: The victim is frozen in place with terror as the vehicle swerves out of control. The player must make a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll to attempt to prevent the vehicle from crashing. Even if the roll succeeds, the victim still receives a –2 penalty to all actions relating to operating a vehicle.
High Satiety: Something about the brakes sticks a little bit and the steering wheel always turns a little to the right if the victim doesn’t pay attention. All of the victim’s failed Drive rolls are treated as dramatic failures.
Satiety Expenditure: The victim unconsciously keeps his foot on the gas pedal even as the wall, truck, or pedestrian comes rushing up to meet him. The victim reflexively attempts to accelerate every turn as long as he is at the controls of the vehicle.
Exceptional Success: The victim can’t attempt to bail out of the moving vehicle without succeeding on a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll.
Yeah, it seems like an okay power until you remember that you need to make eye contact or touch the person to use nightmares.

Compare these with

quote:

Family is Forever (Vampire)
You know what they say about blood being thicker than water. You also know that just because you have to be polite doesn’t mean you have to particularly like this rear end in a top hat. Something about them drives you up the wall but you can’t just put them out.
Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
Normal: The victim becomes convinced that they’re in some way distantly related to the Beast. No matter how vague the details are, the victim’s subconscious fills in the gaps to make the cover story seem true. The victim gains the Leveraged Condition.
High Satiety: The Beast gains access to a number of the victim’s Social Merit dots equal to the Beast’s Satiety at the activation of the Nightmare. She cannot partially access flatrate Social Merits (such as True Friend) if she doesn’t have the requisite number of dots, but may partially access scaling Merits like Resources. For example, a Beast with 7 Satiety using the Nightmare on a victim with Contacts 5, Resources 4, and True Friend could gain access to Contacts 5 and use the remaining dots to access two of the victim’s Resources, but not True Friend. She could, however, use Contacts 2, Resources 2, and True Friend.
Satiety Expenditure: The Beast may make requests of her “family” that would normally require blackmail or weeks of cajoling. The Beast may spend multiple points of Satiety while this Nightmare is active — for every point of Satiety spent, open one additional Door against the victim.
Exceptional Success: The victim may be irritated by the distant “family” member, or even hate them, but them but turning them away seems unthinkable. The victim gains the Guilty Condition if they refuse a request of the Beast.
I mean, yes, this is a kinship nightmare, but this is pretty powerful. Particularly the High Satiety version as you can basically just walk around using it on strangers and force them to buy poo poo for you with their resources.

And then..

quote:

Your Struggle Won’t Matter
(Torn Sin-Eater)

Nothing you do is going to matter. Everything you sacrificed to get this far was a waste. Systems are self-perpetuating, and your little temper tantrum isn’t even going to turn a head. Someday you’re going to be dust and the status quo will be still be here, a monument to all the people it crushed underfoot without even noticing.
Dice Pool: Presence + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
Normal: The victim gains the Beaten Down Tilt. If the victim normally would not be able to gain the Beaten Down Tilt, he instead take a –2 penalty to fighting back.
High Satiety: The victim feels the futility of his actions pulling him down into deeper despair. Every attempt to prove his attacker wrong with words or actions just seems to make him seem that much stronger. The Beast regains one Willpower when the victim spends a point of Willpower to fight back.
Satiety Expenditure: The Beast may spend multiple Satiety on this effect. For every Satiety spent, the Beast reduces one attack by the victim to a chance die.
Exceptional Success: Forcing the victim to surrender (Beast: The Primordial, p.163) in the Beast’s presence counts as fulfilling the Beast’s Hunger.
At 9 satiety you're rolling a minimum of 10 dice against the average person's 2 or 3. The only way to resolve Beaten Down is to give the beast whatever he wants(and stop fighting for the rest of the scene), and you need to spend a willpower point to take any kind of aggressive action until you do.

Birthrights
There are some alternate birthrights!
Remember? Beasts have birthrights?
It's super fiddly, I don't feel like describing them.

Merits
Because these are WAY more interesting.
Direct Dial(*) You can do the horror movie villain thing of being able to call any person you've ever directly sensed in some way. You can even call dead phones, broken phones, or completely non-functional children's toys. It costs a point of willpower to use unless you're calling a member of your brood (and also has 3 dots in other merits as prerequisites).
Horrorspawn(*-*****)You've created a horrorspawn! I'll describe them later.
Infernal Machine(**) You have a car that's been specialized for pursuit, it's more durable, faster, and safer than any other car so long as you're driving it.
Legendary Horror(*-*****) Your horror is so powerful it gains an essence pool and numina. Also if you ever undergo the Retreat your horror is probably going to be "particularly troublesome".
Obascus Initiate(**) You've experienced Guidance and can now perform Obascus Rites! I'll describe them later.
Primordial Cult(**+) You have a cult that worships you! They can do a whole bunch of things and are amazingly helpful but if you abuse them you risk turning them into a circle of Heroes that know all your darkest secrets.

Lair Merits
These are REALLY interesting
Connected Lair(**) SOMEHOW your lair is connected to the information systems of the mundane world. You have phone, television, and internet access. One of the suggested uses of this merit is running a pirate radio station out of your lair which is goddamn amazing and deserves to be in a better game than this.
Trap Room(*) You can connect your lair to a room for a long period of time, and so long as it's connected anyone who tries to leave said room will be transported to your lair. This is dangerous because, well, ANYONE, heroes included.
Vast Lair(*-***) Your lair chambers are huge and take longer to traverse and collapse.
Well-Stocked Lair(*-****) Each dot in this represents 2 dots in some other merit that exists within a chamber of your lair. Alternately you can use one dot to turn a chamber of your lair into mordenkainen's magnificent mansion.

Kinship merits
Know Their Falseness(**)-Changeling You can make binding oaths with people and know immediately if they break it. Gaining +2 on the first 3 rolls to punish them for it.(doesn't work on Demons, obviously)
Feign Death(*)-Vampire You can halt your biological functions and walk around like a corpse, or lie around like a corpse. You appear dead to any casual observation but an autopsy will probably make you actually dead.
Look Between Worlds(**)-Ghost ..how do you get family ties with a ghost? uhh... well.. now you can see ghosts? And ghosts can see you?
Sanguivore(**)-Vampire You gain fangs that you can use to bite people and drain blood. You don't have the whole "inflict your victim with ecstatic lust" thing and you don't have a blood pool, but a point of blood will sate your need for food and water for a day and it's definitely one hell of a way for a Predator to feed.
Scent Your Prey(*-**)-Werewolf You have werewolf senses, one(or both) of enhanced hearing or smell.
Scour your Body(**)-Mage You can reduce one of your physical attributes by 1 and take a point of lethal damage to use an atavism or nightmare as if you had spent a point of Satiety. Why on earth would you do this.
Step Sideways(***)-Werewolf If you're looking at a mirror while opening a primordial pathway you get +1 die and can just.. go to your lair rather merging a physical location with a chamber. doesn't seem worth 3 dots to me.
Walk Lightly(**)-Ghost You leave no forensic trace of your presence. People with eyes and Cameras can still see you. "This merit is quite useful to Beasts who leave a trail of crime scenes in their wake."

Next Time: This fantastic sidebar (amongst other things)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

why don't they just have the beasts explicitly be bad guys? theyd be way more tolerable if they werent trying to market them as somehow being good guys. Black Crusade has lots of gross poo poo in but its fine because the characters are explicitly the most bad guys in a universe already full of bad guys.

at this point it would be subversive for them to have a gameline where the monsters are actually evil, and it would make a lot more lore sense for the other splats to be hostile to them than the weird kinship thing they have going on.

dial down the rapiness, dial up the baby-eating, and you could have a whole squad of scooby-doo villains and it might actually be fun

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Despite the relatively mainstream blasé attitude about them nowadays, they already make a good game where the protagonists no matter how sympathetic are fundamentally gross parasites on humanity.

Vampire. It's Vampire.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kurieg posted:

Primordial Cult(**+) You have a cult that worships you! They can do a whole bunch of things and are amazingly helpful but if you abuse them you risk turning them into a circle of Heroes that know all your darkest secrets.

This seems like another 'really fun idea if you weren't playing the Beast' - I'd be down for a game where you're all cultists who've realized the thing you're worshiping is actually just a colossal rear end in a top hat and have decided to take him down.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

The werewolf beat reminds me of a lovely suggestion for interaction that a Beast should threaten to reveal a Demon not realizing this is an utterly stupid and horrible idea.

It is a legitimately brilliant idea if you want to make an enemy who will do exactly what you want for exactly as long as they need to set up a fallback cover and dedicate their life to setting you on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The other issue is that if you do rip away a demon's Cover then they get a brief period in which they are a) incredibly powerful b) incredibly angry and c) have nothing left to lose