Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
How is wearing a sex harness to battle not already just text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
There was a whole episode about how the red Iron Cross on his harness is made from a magical metal that gives him power.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The iron cross I wear on my chest contains an essence that gets recharged when I jack it with a bro who also has an iron cross. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations etc. Nobody knows its a JO cross but me and my bro, man at arms.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Okay but like why does he wear it on a bondage harness instead of like...a breastplate or something.

Like I know the MoTU schtick was “sci-fi barbarians” but come on, Adam.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Personally, I think making the gay subtext in He-Man text would improve the show :colbert:

Maybe I'm shallow but I don't really care if they're literally gay or not as long as they're as hot and fanservicey as the Starbarians characters

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

uh i think you got slash mixed up with something else. That's (usually male) gay stuff.

At the risk of showing how online I am: slash has grown to mean any form of fanfiction which is centered on a ship, regardless of the genders involved. It's sort of a waning term though as far as I can tell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It comes from the / in ficiton and it does come from Kirk/Spock fiction, so yea it has origins in gay fanfiction, but it expanded to encompass pretty much any fiction based on a pairing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait seriously? When did that happen? I guess I'm stuck in the mid-2000s :psyduck:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wait seriously? When did that happen? I guess I'm stuck in the mid-2000s :psyduck:

It's actually really old. Like the Spock/Kirk stuff is from the 70s when Star Trek fan culture started to really solidify. Mostly written by women.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

twistedmentat posted:

It's actually really old. Like the Spock/Kirk stuff is from the 70s when Star Trek fan culture started to really solidify. Mostly written by women.

No, not that. I meant it being generalized into all relationships, cause growing up it was all gay all the time, with people putting things like "CONTAINS SLASH" in summaries (yes, I know, trap, spring, etc)

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

No, not that. I meant it being generalized into all relationships, cause growing up it was all gay all the time, with people putting things like "CONTAINS SLASH" in summaries (yes, I know, trap, spring, etc)

Well the term "slash fiction" still usually means that, but an actual slash between members of any pairing, gay or straight, started in the 2000s afaik

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stenis posted:

Well the term "slash fiction" still usually means that, but an actual slash between members of any pairing, gay or straight, started in the 2000s afaik

I know i heard it in the 90s, but yea its more recent in the application of all shipping related fanfiction.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

twistedmentat posted:

I had a guy make fun of me for not knowing about the slash fiction community centered around TF2, British people are terrible like that. :smith:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Are we expecting the start of season 3 in maybe January then?
Since season 1 was 13 episodes these two that just got released definitely feel like "Season 2" to me.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

SHVPS4DETH posted:

it will. the 13 ep first season was a netflix test balloon and now they're gna release whatever whenever bc they have license to do so. all 52 eps will drop in some way or another.

now beyond that is a whole different beast but let's not get ahead of ourselves imo

therapy is for everyone; it isn't a diagnosis to want someone in pain to be well

pibbs gets it

Don’t pretend “get therapy,” as innocuous as the words themselves are, is ever going to be perceived as anything other than a cheap insult when posted on the internet and directed at someone you know nothing about outside of a few posts. After all, it’s almost always intended that way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Don’t pretend “get therapy,” as innocuous as the words themselves are, is ever going to be perceived as anything other than a cheap insult when posted on the internet and directed at someone you know nothing about outside of a few posts. After all, it’s almost always intended that way.

Get therapy

:troll:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Saucy_Rodent posted:

i know you have to have read the post at this point and it's weird that you feel the need to defend it

also sure it's difficult to ascertain tone from posts but assuming every post is hostile isn't healthy either

basically, don't diagnose me either? is that how this works?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
It's been almost two weeks since I dropped the bait and you're still acting like this. Please get a life.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseLord posted:

It's been almost two weeks since I dropped the bait and you're still acting like this. Please get a life.

It seems like you figured out what you said was indefensible so now you're claiming it was trolling all along

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Ok, I take back everything, horselord sucks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HorseLord posted:

You could just choose to ignore all of it, like you recommended for adults to deal with their abusive childhood.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Merely pretending

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

We all deserve to go to beast island.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

pentyne posted:

You could just choose to ignore all of it, like you recommended for adults to deal with their abusive childhood.

It's the same as therapy except you don't pay an obscene hourly rate to talk to someone who's not qualified to describe themselves as a psychologist. "getting better" or whatever it is you think you've done is just an elaborate way of tricking yourself into being okay with your situation. It's fraud.

You had a real lovely parent? Doesn't matter if you think that's normal or not. To keep that person in your life when you are an adult is still the choice you have to make. Do or don't.

What is not normal is to place childhood emotional trauma on the same level as someone setting of a doomsday device on purpose. One is being like probably 80% of people who've ever had children, and the other is literally someone attempting to commit the ultimate genocide. There is a bigger picture than catra not being mother's favorite.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HorseLord posted:

It's the same as therapy except you don't pay an obscene hourly rate to talk to someone who's not qualified to describe themselves as a psychologist. "getting better" or whatever it is you think you've done is just an elaborate way of tricking yourself into being okay with your situation. It's fraud.

You had a real lovely parent? Doesn't matter if you think that's normal or not. To keep that person in your life when you are an adult is still the choice you have to make. Do or don't.

What is not normal is to place childhood emotional trauma on the same level as someone setting of a doomsday device on purpose. One is being like probably 80% of people who've ever had children, and the other is literally someone attempting to commit the ultimate genocide. There is a bigger picture than catra not being mother's favorite.

This post is not normal.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The villain of the show is the one that tried to kill everyone.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're arguing past everybody. Nobody is disagreeing that what Catra did was wrong. People are objecting to the idea that child abuse is no big deal.

At least understand which hill you're dying on here.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yes, the cartoon supervillain who latches onto powerful children and emotionally abuses them until they want to blow up big chunks of the planet to help her/hurt her is, in fact, bad and evil and not a perfectly normal parent. Quit universalising your awful childhood, dude.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Literally no one is taking issue with your opinion of which character is more evil/less sympathetic. Do you understand that? That's not what we're concerned about?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Stenis posted:

Literally no one is taking issue with your opinion of which character is more evil/less sympathetic. Do you understand that? That's not what we're concerned about?

If you agree with me that Catra's bad relationship with her mother isn't the actual important thing then why do you keep going on about it instead of the important thing?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Welcome to every TVIV thread during an hiatus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

HorseLord posted:

If you agree with me that Catra's bad relationship with her mother isn't the actual important thing then why do you keep going on about it instead of the important thing?

Hey HorseLord, calm it down. Why not post about Stalin somewhere instead?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I realized that this show isn't the first time I've been sympathetic to a nazi cyborg's romance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orEX-nZAgNU&t=1241s

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Steven Universe is pretty good alright.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You fool!

Now you've said it!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, if anyone knows how to weather a hiatus it's Steven Universe fans.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah but there's already a thread for that

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Kevin Smith uploaded a new episode of "Fatman Beyond" where he and Marc talk with the rest of the writers for "Masters of the Universe: Revelations" about the new project for a while, if anyone cares. You can view the discussion on YouTube, starting about 7 minutes in and lasting about 34 minutes, until just after the 41 minute mark. There's not a lot of actual content discussion, given how recently it was announced, and is more going in to how each of them got the job, vague overviews of how they see the show, what the writing process is so far, what Smith doesn't want it to be (i.e. he doesn't want it to become his usual thing and have characters selling weed in Eternia despite how fun that sounds to one of the writers) and so on, but if you are curious, it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfbui8Pag0Q&t=425s

If you don't care about Smith and/or his He-Man at all though, they do briefly talk about She-Ra during it, and I webm'd that bit, since it's pretty short (1 minute 44 seconds to be exact; and some of that is jokes).

https://webm.red/3Tzx

All they really say is that there's no discussion by anyone at the moment regarding trying to connect the two shows together in any way, and that if it's going to happen, it wouldn't happen until they've done at least one season and figured out what kind of show they are and how things are proceeding. It sounds like they think She-Ra should be allowed to run through at least it's original planned seasons before tackling it too. Other than that, one of the other writers, Diya Mishrya, who worked on a "Magic the Gathering" show for Netflix that hasn't released yet, said she thinks that She-Ra's opening song is amazing. Or rather, that "it fucks", and that she listened to it a lot while writing the second episode.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Thanks for the handy summary tsob. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If Smith makes it very gay I will be very happy.