Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I would unironically enjoy reading a list of Tuxedo Catfish's top 10 video games with a short (or not) description of what makes it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

some shiren game is getting ported to pc, at least for china? But surely everywhere else too right

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1164069165680025600

looks like 5, the most recent one released on vita. It's a great game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

genericnick posted:

I got Sproggiwood for the phone. Is there any difference tothe PC version?
Don't switch apps while it's running, it's very, very bad about running out of RAM and restarting. I've never had it happen while it's still the active app, but it happens fairly consistently whenever I switch apps, or even leave it idle long enough for my phone to self-lock.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xik posted:

I would unironically enjoy reading a list of Tuxedo Catfish's top 10 video games with a short (or not) description of what makes it good.

Fewer roguelikes on this list than you might think. The most common factor is action games where the developers really understand movement mechanics -- where everything cancels fluidly into everything else, where momentum is used sparingly and the player has ways to both create and instantly negate it, where precision is both possible and rewarded.

Dark Souls 3 -- very unique and rewarding PvP, surprisingly good movement-feel for a console game.

DoomRL -- some days of the week this might be ToME or Caves of Qud instead, but DoomRL is peak elegant RL design

Factorio -- like a survival game, except it respects your time; automation replaces plate-spinning. sadly, it's almost unique as such.

Hollow Knight -- amazing movement, 10x bigger than it has any business being, great boss fights

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun -- just really good stealth and strategy gameplay. complex without being overwhelming.

Skullgirls -- amazing movement, best online play of any modern fighting game

Subnautica -- one of the few video games i've ever played that was actually emotionally overwhelming, in a good way. beautiful and terrifying.

Unreal Tournament 2004 -- peak multiplayer FPS design, and also (not coincidentally) has one of the best options/setting screens in the medium

The Void -- the sexiest game about starvation, gardening, patriarchy, and the inner life of the soul ever made

Warframe -- amazing movement, shockingly good narrative for a F2P looter-shooter

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 22, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the void rules and i sorely wish icepick lodge would do a re-release/remaster of it

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Very surprising list, was expecting more roguelikes. The only one I haven't heard of is the void, looks interesting but not sure if it's my thing. Shadow Tactics does look really good now that you mention it, not sure why I've previously passed it over, wishlisting that one for later. It's actually 66% off on steam right now but already got a bunch of games on the go so will have to wait.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BexGu posted:

So basically just wait for it to get out of EA?

I don't think that's ever a bad idea for any game. Underminer is already in really fun shape though, thankfully -- I have high hopes for it

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

lets hang out posted:

some shiren game is getting ported to pc, at least for china? But surely everywhere else too right

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1164069165680025600

looks like 5, the most recent one released on vita. It's a great game.

It's Shiren 5+ by the looks of it. Got it on Vita and it owns.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Mayonnaise is actually just a thing you can eat and you're all suffering from giving too much of a poo poo about mayonnaise which is frankly bougie decadence.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Please destroy me at Skullgirls sometime.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Wait should I play Warframe? Isn't this one of those games where getting started so late you're basically always playing catch up?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lowness 72 posted:

Wait should I play Warframe? Isn't this one of those games where getting started so late you're basically always playing catch up?

It's fun from the getgo, it's free, and goons are super helpful. Give it a go.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

No, it's a game with hundreds of ways to kill every last motherfucker in the room

Doesn't matter when you start or what you use

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do not try to play Warframe solo, though. Having other people around to give you advice and explain things and such helps al ot, the game is pretty bad about explaining how it works.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585612 Head over to the warframe thread for more info.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Its can actually get less fun having high level people around since they blow through a room so fast you have no idea what going on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just join the goon clan and let them shower you with stuff

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fewer roguelikes on this list than you might think. The most common factor is action games where the developers really understand movement mechanics -- where everything cancels fluidly into everything else, where momentum is used sparingly and the player has ways to both create and instantly negate it, where precision is both possible and rewarded.

Dark Souls 3 -- very unique and rewarding PvP, surprisingly good movement-feel for a console game.

DoomRL -- some days of the week this might be ToME or Caves of Qud instead, but DoomRL is peak elegant RL design

Factorio -- like a survival game, except it respects your time; automation replaces plate-spinning. sadly, it's almost unique as such.

Hollow Knight -- amazing movement, 10x bigger than it has any business being, great boss fights

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun -- just really good stealth and strategy gameplay. complex without being overwhelming.

Subnautica -- one of the few video games i've ever played that was actually emotionally overwhelming, in a good way. beautiful and terrifying.

Unreal Tournament 2004 -- peak multiplayer FPS design, and also (not coincidentally) has one of the best options/setting screens in the medium

The Void -- the sexiest game about starvation, gardening, patriarchy, and the inner life of the soul ever made

Warframe -- amazing movement, shockingly good narrative for a F2P looter-shooter

That's why you show up in roughly 1/3 of the threads I follow, we're cut from the same cloth. If anything, this convinces me that Hollow Knight is not just "something I should pick up at some point."

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I don’t have time to read through 800+ pages of thread for an answer, so here’s my question: What’s the general consensus on Streets of Rogue?

Bonus points if you know how well it runs on Switch.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So is there any modern (preferably roguelike) take on the Sega Genesis classic Gain Ground?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ecavalli posted:

I don’t have time to read through 800+ pages of thread for an answer, so here’s my question: What’s the general consensus on Streets of Rogue?

I've got no consensus for you, but I've played it and find it fairly interesting. It's structurally very much a roguelike, but the actual gameplay feels weirdly like a top-down sprite version of Deus Ex: lots of places to go and sneak into and many many ways to get into them. It's not quite Party Hard in terms of interactivity, but it's definitely not just another twin stick shooter roguelite.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cardiovorax posted:

I've got no consensus for you, but I've played it and find it fairly interesting. It's structurally very much a roguelike, but the actual gameplay feels weirdly like a top-down sprite version of Deus Ex: lots of places to go and sneak into and many many ways to get into them. It's not quite Party Hard in terms of interactivity, but it's definitely not just another twin stick shooter roguelite.
Ditto no consensus, so YMMV. The controls are kinda floaty, by design (I always say that your character is a boat, which some people intuitively get but others don't), but there's a bigass range of things to do and now that the actual large quests for characters are complete that range is even bigger. It's fun. Not perfect, but I like it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Xik posted:

The only one I haven't heard of is the void, looks interesting but not sure if it's my thing.

It's an incredible game, but kinda lovely to play for a number of reasons. Goon CannibalK9 did an amazing LP of it though. I'd suggest watching that rather than playing it, even if you're not normally into LPs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ecavalli posted:

Streets of Rogue is a great 20-minute per run chaos simulator. It's got a ton of character classes, item, and perk variety that make each character feel fairly different from each other and scrambling to try to survive when things go wrong is good fun. But I'm gonna beg to differ on the comparison to Deus Ex, that is so misleading it's almost malicious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
FWIW, it really is nothing like Deus Ex in terms of actual game mechanics or how you play it, I just felt it had a lot of that sense of being dumped in a little part of a city and being "ok, here is lots of poo poo to break into, here are your tools for loving with people, go nuts" to it. Don't expect it to actually play like Deus Ex.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 22, 2019

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Alright, sounds good to me. As long as I don't go into it expecting a top-down Deus Ex, I should be pretty happy.

Thanks dudes!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

..btt posted:

It's an incredible game, but kinda lovely to play for a number of reasons. Goon CannibalK9 did an amazing LP of it though. I'd suggest watching that rather than playing it, even if you're not normally into LPs.

yeah, i wouldn't necessarily call it 'lovely' to play myself but it's very stressful in ways and it's the sort of thing that can turn someone off easily. the lp is definitely a great way to experience the game, as the lper has a relaxing voice and shows off the game well.

https://lparchive.org/The-Void/

the video links on that page are dead, though, but at the top is a red bar that links to the internet archive which has the videos there to view

https://archive.org/details/LP_The_Void

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Void is a super intense game but I started enjoying it much more once I installed a mod that let you grow Color on a tree more than once. I know it goes against the themes of the game, but it just makes it so much less stressful to play.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zereth posted:

Do not try to play Warframe solo, though. Having other people around to give you advice and explain things and such helps al ot, the game is pretty bad about explaining how it works.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585612 Head over to the warframe thread for more info.

As a counter, you can definitely play solo and be just fine, just ignore that feeling that you have no idea how anything works and focus on enjoying the things that make sense. The other stuff will make sense eventually. However the game has the most painless multi possible and it’s extremely low commitment.

Whether you play in the least optimal way possible or with total perfect knowledge of every system, you’re performing the same missions, executing the same maneuvers, slaughtering the same number of dudes, just with different fireworks. It’s more fun if you just pick an arbitrary goal of some kind than pursue a guided grind.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

The Void is a super intense game but I started enjoying it much more once I installed a mod that let you grow Color on a tree more than once. I know it goes against the themes of the game, but it just makes it so much less stressful to play.

I feel like a major theme of the game is the hopelessness of achieving a goal that is undeniably possible, but yeah, I think that makes it a better art piece and a worse game.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can find all kinds of weird little tricks to get stuff done in streets. For example, the doctor class has an insanely powerful ability to silently choke out a target from behind, but you can't get it to work if they are standing with their back to a wall. What you can do, though, is distract them with noise - even just punching the wall next to them and then running through them, or getting someone to answer a knock on their front door and grabbing them when they get bored.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

resistentialism posted:

You can find all kinds of weird little tricks to get stuff done in streets. For example, the doctor class has an insanely powerful ability to silently choke out a target from behind, but you can't get it to work if they are standing with their back to a wall. What you can do, though, is distract them with noise - even just punching the wall next to them and then running through them, or getting someone to answer a knock on their front door and grabbing them when they get bored.

That kinda stuff is exactly what I'm hoping for.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Playing as the cop is great fun because you can find clever ways to get people to commit crimes in front of you and then arrest them for career progression, just like in real life.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Streets of Rogue is also super fun in coop.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Streets of Rogue is also super fun in coop.

Yeah? Is it strictly local or also online? And do you have to play with people you know, or are there, like, lobbies you can browse to find other coop players?

dads_work_files posted:

Playing as the cop is great fun because you can find clever ways to get people to commit crimes in front of you and then arrest them for career progression, just like in real life.

Delightful!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

dads_work_files posted:

Something i've found now that i've exhausted the base game opportunities is to enable what i'm calling "Resident Evil mode" via mutators.

Using the line of sight mutator that disables seeing around corners without peeking and enabling a zombie apocalypse to be on every level along side making ammo more plentiful turns it into a nerve wracking zombie apocalypse roguelike where you learn to sneak in the middle of the streets, learn to curb stomp the infestation early on, or get chased by like 30 enemies wanting to eat your face.

The fact that I can actually do this via mutators is kind of amazing, really. Usually they're lovely minor modifications when games add them in.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've only done it online with friends, not sure if there are lobbies or not. But it also has local.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've only done it online with friends, not sure if there are lobbies or not. But it also has local.

Alright, cool. I can definitely work with that.

Archonex posted:

Something i've found now that i've exhausted the base game opportunities is to enable what i'm calling "Resident Evil mode" via mutators.

Using the line of sight mutator that disables seeing around corners without peeking and enabling a zombie apocalypse to be on every level along side making ammo more plentiful turns it into a nerve wracking zombie apocalypse roguelike where you learn to sneak in the middle of the streets, learn to curb stomp the infestation early on, or get chased by like 30 enemies wanting to eat your face.

The fact that I can actually do this via mutators is kind of amazing, really. Usually they're lovely minor modifications when games add them in.

gently caress it, I'm sold. I just dropped the $20 on it and am anxiously awaiting the download to finish.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haven't played it yet, but reading about Streets of Rogue reminds me a bit of Survival Crisis Z, a weird, obsolete (?) game that was at least a little bit ahead of its time as an open-city zombie shooter roguelike with that good old low-res creepy computer affect.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

doctorfrog posted:

Haven't played it yet, but reading about Streets of Rogue reminds me a bit of Survival Crisis Z, a weird, obsolete (?) game that was at least a little bit ahead of its time as an open-city zombie shooter roguelike with that good old low-res creepy computer affect.

Hell yeah, it belongs spiritually to that whole 'early aughts' games a teenager would download on a school laptop survival crisis z zombie smashers type legacy and it loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chakan posted:

That's why you show up in roughly 1/3 of the threads I follow, we're cut from the same cloth. If anything, this convinces me that Hollow Knight is not just "something I should pick up at some point."
Hollow Knight loving rules, especially if you are a person like me who loves learning and perfecting boss fights