Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoyed them as a novelty when I first saw them in - I think - Human Revolution
Human Revolution's aren't timed. You need to pay attention in real time to use the CASIE aug but you have all the time you want to select an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

Human Revolution's aren't timed. You need to pay attention in real time to use the CASIE aug but you have all the time you want to select an answer.

There are times when the NPC you're talking to will yell at you for prolonged silence. I know the first of the big conversation clashes does it--the hostage situation--and I can definitely think of a few more where they logically would probably attack you for that, but I'm not sure if any of them actually make you fail anything for it.

I do remember that Sakura Wars, Sega's dating sim/SRPG hybrid from the Saturn days, does do it. Every choice is timed, running out of time is never good. And for an added curveball, there's times when a usually-better option only comes up after you've let some time elapse.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spit on my clit posted:

this is the stats for a gun in Bolderlands 3. what i'm wondering is, what does handling mean, and what is the percentage relative to. if this is about how fast you aim down the sights, why not just define the ADS time and call it "aim speed", or if it means how fast you swap from that gun, why not just list the time it takes to swap your gun, and why not just name the stat "swap speed"

i sure do love whenever games have such nonsensical terms with nonsensical numbers or percentage attached to it as if either of them mean anything

You can make that complaint about literally anything, though. Just that item card alone has a bunch of other things someone wouldn't necessarily be able to parse out of context (critical hits? what are those? what does accuracy mean for a shotgun?).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

You can make that complaint about literally anything, though. Just that item card alone has a bunch of other things someone wouldn't necessarily be able to parse out of context (critical hits? what are those? what does accuracy mean for a shotgun?).

Because Borderlands

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

John Murdoch posted:

How about the text size? I mean, good lord, there's so much empty space on that screen!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is it with Avalanche Games? With every game they take one step forward and two steps back.

Just Cause 3 had dogshit performance-issues, a bizarre world-map, an abrupt and anti-climactic ending, and awful bullshit side-challenges. But when I got it to run (and cheated the side-challenges) the chaos was so loving cool in how dynamic you could get. I also prefer the formula of the game in that is easier to keep track of progress, and all your weapons are free because there's no currency.

Mad Max had none of JC3's faults and is probably their best game, but they spread it too thin and you could have halved the content and missed nothing.

I'm not playing Just Cause 4 because it's supposed to look and run like horseshit. Worse is the fact that there is no C4 in the game and you don't complete locations by blowing poo poo up makes me want to burst into tears. That'd be like making a Fallout game with no role-playing, no moral quandaries, and endless lovely combat.

RAGE 2 has gotten nothing but apathy despite what Andrew W.K. promised us.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have RPG systems that don't have silly numbers? Fallout doesn't have numbers bigger than 100, Vampire Bloodlines didn't have stats higher than 10.

Original Fallout and Fallout 2 go to 300 but anything beyond 100 is just for better and more frequent criticals.

EDIT: At least in the first one it was worthwhile to get your main gun skill above 100 so that your shots did more than "just hit" frequently.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Aug 21, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What is it with Avalanche Games? With every game they take one step forward and two steps back.

Mad Max had none of JC3's faults and is probably their best game, but they spread it too thin and you could have halved the content and missed nothing.

With this one it is apparent where they ran out of money and/or time and had to skip at least one Act to get to the final one to actually have a releasable product which can be completed. The game has attributes which go nowhere, items which effectively do nothing, new stuff that shows up so late in game that it might as well not exist, and stuff like minor bosses which are clone stamped to save time even if the game hints otherwise.

The game is tight until you breach the wall, then it falls apart and quickly slinks into the end-game. They probably made the map first and were too late to dial down the stuff so the game takes a weird narrative quick travel just after where you expect to hit the last act before the endgame.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Aug 21, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The pacing is odd, and the various types of enemies aren't easy enough to tell apart, but otherwise Mad Max is a really solid game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing RE2 remake and while I'm enjoying the game as a whole I really hate how many normal bullets you have to shoot to put down a normal zombie. Making them hard to kill doesn't make them any scarier, it just makes them annoying to fight.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a sheet somewhere that lists the HP value for every zombie, which is hand-picked so some zombies are more durable than others. You don't do more damage with headshots, rather you have a higher chance of a critical hit. This makes aiming for their legs or making their right-hand come off equally viable. A shotgun will naturally have a higher chance of a critical on a zombie's fleshy head.

I don't know how game-changing it is but the amount of ammo received from powder-mixing from isn't fixed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of Kingdom of Amalur's DLCs features an obnoxious manic pixie dream girl type and if you play along with her bullshit and stay nice to her the whole way through to the very end she...well, she doesn't fall in love with you but does literally say she's DTF. :barf: (You also get an achievement and a unique weapon out of it. Ugh.)

Said DLC was otherwise neat enough and has one of my favorite gimmicks - building up a home base. By the end of it you've got a suite of permanent buffs and the ability to generate drops at will by sending followers out to do stuff. But for some baffling reason you can't fast travel to or from the island even after you finish the main quest. You need to sail back and forth from it and one of the major cities on the mainland by talking to aforementioned horrible character. Which means I'm never going to bother coming back to manage my followers again because that's a pointless hassle vs. just fast traveling to any of my other many houses that are easily accessible.

Also for more yuck your final objective as master of the keep is to marry the daughter of one of the leaders of an outside...country? kingdom? somewhere that you've done diplomacy with. And don't worry, she compliments how good your character was in bed after you fade to black by accepting her proposal.

Also both DLCs were a lot shorter than I thought they'd be, though looking back on it they're not that far off in overall scope to what Skyrim and Fallout 4 offered. Either way being marooned on an uninviting island gave me strong flashbacks to Dragonborn, Far Harbor, and also a bit of Summerset from ESO.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Aug 22, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Age of wonders planetfall has way too much fiddly city management compared to age of wonders 3. In AOW 3 you generally have a smaller number of cities than planetfall and you can turn them into vassals if you don’t want to manage them anymore. That isn’t an option in planetfall, and the game incentivizes you to get more cities than 3, and the city management is more complicated in ways that constantly need your attention as a city grows.

Unlike AOW 3, cities don’t merely get income from whatever buildings you made and whatever little resource boosters are in their borders. there’s also this unnecessarily complicated sector system where a city annexes up to 4 nearby pieces of the map, sets a resource type to “exploit” on that sector, builds upgrades to that exploitation, a specialization for that exploitation, and upgrades to sectors that belong to a particular terrain and climate type. What’s more, to annex a sector you have to send a guy out to stand on the sector, which is a huge hassle for safe cities in the back where you aren’t building armies. But you can’t annex all 4 sectors at once, they unlock as the city hits population thresholds, so you run into this annoyance multiple times per city. and speaking of population, individual citizens in cities now get assigned to specific resources to generate and they have special synergies with sector exploitations to worry about, so you’ll miss out on things if you just leave them all on auto.

This would be totally cool if this was a game where you maxed out at 3 cities. Except I’ve ended my games with just over 20 cities under my control since the game incentivizes constantly building more and you also capture them from your enemies. Cities almost never get set to build anything that takes longer than 4 turns, and the options for what to build are constantly changing per-city as it expands and gets new exploitations, so each city needs your attention on more turns than not. Every turn gets distracted from the fun age of wonders gameplay of moving armies around and fighting, and bogged down by flipping through a bunch of nagging voices making you remember what the hell you were doing with this random city, possibly sending out a babysitter to annex a new sector, build the exploitation on a sector that just annexed last turn, building a specialization for the exploitation that just completed last turn, upgrading the sector level so you actually get decent returns off of the specialization that just completed last turn, fixing the citizen assignments because now they’re getting unhappy...and this whole process happens 4 times per city staggered out over time. Argh! You don’t have to do almost any of this stuff in age of wonders 3.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

muscles like this! posted:

I've been playing RE2 remake and while I'm enjoying the game as a whole I really hate how many normal bullets you have to shoot to put down a normal zombie. Making them hard to kill doesn't make them any scarier, it just makes them annoying to fight.

You're not really meant to even attempt to fight every zombie, especially on higher difficulties.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

New Leaf posted:

How about the text size? I mean, good lord, there's so much empty space on that screen!
My theory is it's going to be a real bad game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BUT THATS JUST A THEORY

A GAME THEORY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Schubalts posted:

You're not really meant to even attempt to fight every zombie, especially on higher difficulties.

It really irks me to not kill every zambie in sight, but RE2 played a lot smoother once I realized this. Take that, thing formerly dragging that game down!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've never had a friend rage at me for how I'm playing a game harder than my buddy watching me play Silent Hill 2 and beating everything to death with my pipe. All monsters must die, gently caress this nonsense about ignore the dogs in the street!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They're survival games, and I'm showing the survival of the fittest by killing everything in my way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

They're survival games, and I'm showing the survival of the fittest by killing everything in my way.

It can't kill you if it's dead

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Len posted:

It can't kill you if it's dead

Debatable when it comes to zombies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a state beyond normal deadness...our scientists call it "superdead"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Redead, oh poo poo, wait, no

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

World Famous W posted:

I've never had a friend rage at me for how I'm playing a game harder than my buddy watching me play Silent Hill 2 and beating everything to death with my pipe. All monsters must die, gently caress this nonsense about ignore the dogs in the street!

I was that guy a while back. Every so often me and a friend do a thing where we stream some classic games we never had a chance to play and he insisted on killing almost everything for the first half of the game until he found himself with no health and no healing items.

I'm trying to convince him to try The Room one day. :getin:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will admit there might be some correlation between that play style and me having beat most silent Hill's final bosses with nothing but melee cause the clips are empty.

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to convince him to try The Room one day. :getin:
The last half of that game after your room comes to hate you is hell and I'll admit frustrated me out of finishing it (that and the weird monsters that didn't really feel silent hillish)

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Aug 23, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m surprised I haven’t heard more people complaining about the zombie health in RE2 remake. After RE 4, 5, and 6 rewarded us for killing everything in sight the whiplash for people playing RE2 for the first time must have been intense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I’m surprised I haven’t heard more people complaining about the zombie health in RE2 remake. After RE 4, 5, and 6 rewarded us for killing everything in sight the whiplash for people playing RE2 for the first time must have been intense.

That was me! Like I said it took some getting used to. In the end, the RE2 remake is my second favorite game in the series thanks to all the work they put into it, despite not really liking the original (or any other of the original style, really) and thinking RE4 is the platonic ideal of zombie games. Now if they'd only apply that level of care into remaking 4.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Double post, sorry :|

I was just talking in one of the positive game threads about enjoying the craziness of the MGSV prequel mission, and then I got to the bomb in Paz, her exploding, and me remembering all the other hosed-up stuff people were talking about way back when the game came out.

It reminds me of the problem I had with the orphanage scenes in RE2. Exploring heavy themes can be fine in some media but it just feels weird in a crazy action game, like, drat that's a weird tonal shift from the zany Ernest Infiltrates a Prison Camp adventures I was having thirty seconds ago :catstare:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Is it ok to say that Breath of the Wild is just so vastly empty most of the world is a giant waste yet?

Edit: and your main vehicle is a horse that can't go to, roughly, 96% of the map? Why not a giant fantasy creature that can fly? Or climb? Why can't I hire a Goron to climb with?

InsertPotPun has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

InsertPotPun posted:

Is it ok to say that Breath of the Wild is just so vastly empty most of the world is a giant waste yet?

Edit: and your main vehicle is a horse that can't go to, roughly, 96% of the map? Why not a giant fantasy creature that can fly? Or climb? Why can't I hire a Goron to climb with?

It's true, though, and you should say it. I adore Breath of the Wild, but there's fuckall to do in it for the most part. And that really harms its replayability. Yeah, it's really amazing when you first find a shrine, or a secret, or a little town nestled on the shore, but then you've found it. It's the same every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wanted By Weed posted:

It's true, though, and you should say it. I adore Breath of the Wild, but there's fuckall to do in it for the most part. And that really harms its replayability. Yeah, it's really amazing when you first find a shrine, or a secret, or a little town nestled on the shore, but then you've found it. It's the same every time.

And the shrine is probably identical to one you've done 7 or 8 times already

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
THANK YOU. It's like an early access game honestly. Like Minecraft; the first Minecrafts had the world and that's about it. Some light crafting. But mostly just "hey look at the potential in this sandbox". I'm enjoying Hyrulian Warriors FAR more. The action is fast paced, there are more usable items, and you can play as a HUGE variety of characters all with their own variety of moves. It's a fantastic style fighter.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's like Minecraft or Space Engineers in that you have to make your own fun, but unlike those games it's not procedurally generated, so everything is always in the same spot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fingers crossed for having the lessons learned from that game in the framework of a more traditional Zelda dungeon progression.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bony tony posted:

It's like Minecraft or Space Engineers in that you have to make your own fun, but unlike those games it's not procedurally generated, so everything is always in the same spot.

Yeah, this is where I think my problem is, I don't enjoy playing Minecraft unless I'm playing with friends. And even then I just do weird poo poo like cover a guy's house in glass effectively shrink wrapping everything. Or the time I made a chicken bomb and crashed the server.

For people who enjoy looking at very pretty digital scenery and replacing flaming great swords with wooden sticks I'm jealous but my fun with the open world ended once I got all the towers active.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fingers crossed for having the lessons learned from that game in the framework of a more traditional Zelda dungeon progression.

I instead had my fingers crossed for more of just a traditional Zelda for the longest time, but that's not happening, so I'm instead hoping for this.

And that Metroid Prime 4 blows everything else out of the goddamn water.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Double post, sorry :|

I was just talking in one of the positive game threads about enjoying the craziness of the MGSV prequel mission, and then I got to the bomb in Paz, her exploding, and me remembering all the other hosed-up stuff people were talking about way back when the game came out.

It reminds me of the problem I had with the orphanage scenes in RE2. Exploring heavy themes can be fine in some media but it just feels weird in a crazy action game, like, drat that's a weird tonal shift from the zany Ernest Infiltrates a Prison Camp adventures I was having thirty seconds ago :catstare:

You uh...you really don't want to listen to all of the tapes that are found in Ground Zeroes. You REALLY do not want to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

You were having a zany time infiltrating Guantanamo Bay. It's a game of contrasts.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
For me, the worst part about all that stuff in MGSV is that it doesn't even really go anywhere. Any build-up of Skull Face as a new and particularly horrific villain is kind of ruined by both the subsequent themes of Phantom Pain and the fact that he barely even appears in that game. If it was meant to differentiate the game from previous entries as the "darker and more serious one" then it was also unnecessary, as the gameplay style changes and the setting already did a decent enough job of that. It really does just feel like it's in there for the sake of being moody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

For me, the worst part about all that stuff in MGSV is that it doesn't even really go anywhere. Any build-up of Skull Face as a new and particularly horrific villain is kind of ruined by both the subsequent themes of Phantom Pain and the fact that he barely even appears in that game. If it was meant to differentiate the game from previous entries as the "darker and more serious one" then it was also unnecessary, as the gameplay style changes and the setting already did a decent enough job of that. It really does just feel like it's in there for the sake of being moody.

Because Kojima lost his mind during the development of MGSV its impossible to tell what they were originally planned to do, what was added as a late patchwork and what was left on the editing room floor. If you pay close attention to the cut scenes, Skull Face is seen in the car driving away from the Sahelanthropus after he was supposed to be shot to head. Does that mean that he somehow survived, or that Snake was seeing things again, or that the developers salvaged a pre-existing clip without noticing that continuity error? Who the gently caress knows, since the game was originally designed to be something stupidly extensive like 4-5 Acts, from which we got about two and half if you combine GZ and PP. If you read up on the game, the story even ends up in a different place than in the game itself, because apparently the game shipped without the finally agreed and intended end-sequence in the last act, and they never bothered to complete and release it.

My guess is that Skull Face was always going to be the first part big bad who exists mostly to lose the Metal Gear tech to DD, but ended up being the only villain in the game because the development ran into trouble.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Aug 24, 2019