Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

If Smith makes it very gay I will be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

If Smith makes it very gay I will be very happy.

Assuming he does it well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We were talking about She-Ra in a fb group and replying to my post about how Scorpia is too good with that thing she does with her face for Catra, they said that Catra is an incel; she thinks that she is owed something from Adora by virtue of them being near each other for their whole life. She never gives Adora any reason to be with her, but she still expect it because she carried that printer dammit!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

twistedmentat posted:

We were talking about She-Ra in a fb group and replying to my post about how Scorpia is too good with that thing she does with her face for Catra, they said that Catra is an incel; she thinks that she is owed something from Adora by virtue of them being near each other for their whole life. She never gives Adora any reason to be with her, but she still expect it because she carried that printer dammit!

I'm pretty sure Adora carried more printers in that one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I carried a printer all the way through the Whispering Woods and all she did was sleep curled up on my bed for a year

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

twistedmentat posted:

This is a good take on it. Also as with incels Catra is hyperfixated on the “perfect” woman she can’t have while ignoring Scorpia’s attempts at friendship. She also doubles down on her aggression in order to hurt others instead of actually admitting she has a problem and trying to fix it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So all this He-man talk makes me curious: As I haven't watched the 80's he-man since the 80s, was there a technological component to Adam getting his leather bondage outfit like in She-Ra, or was it all just handwaved as magic back then?

All I can clearly remember about the show is a buff dude with a sword than rode around on a giant cat. Part of me wants to say there was a triceratops involved as well, but I might be weirdly conflating this with space ghost or something

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pretty sure it was magic, and pretty sure She-Ra and the sorceress being magitech is just a thing in the new show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Azhais posted:

All I can clearly remember about the show is a buff dude with a sword than rode around on a giant cat. Part of me wants to say there was a triceratops involved as well, but I might be weirdly conflating this with space ghost or something

I think that was only in the comic. There was a toy, though.

The mixture of magic and tech was mostly used by the bad guys. Hordak was a wizard and also a cyborg who could transform into a rocket.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
MOTU had a mix of scifi and magic but magic took a bigger part in the tv show. I remember it being called "science fantasy" in an article which is apt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Pretty sure it was magic, and pretty sure She-Ra and the sorceress being magitech is just a thing in the new show.

Kinda - the sword was magic, but Masters of the Universe was always a science fantasy pastiche with plenty of sci-fi elements. Like, Prince Adam's mother is an astronaut from Earth who crash lands on Eternia. The old She-Ra has a bunch of magic vs. tech stuff, like the Horde uses a combination of both to control the planet, and Hordak's tech powers are implied to be augmented with evil magic. The new show has expanded on these vague themes a lot, but it's working off something that was present in the original show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

All the 80's shows are getting remakes these days; maybe Dino Riders will get it's turn next. That, or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs; though that's an early 90's show, even if the comics it's adapted from are late 80's stuff. I'm kind of a weirdo though, because the big toy cartoons like He-Man, G.I. Joe and Transformers mostly passed me by somehow, but I loved M.A.S.K., Bravestarr, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and Botsmaster . They're all basically forgotten though, and are unlikely to get the same kind of attention or rejuvenation at any point. Dino Riders and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs were great too, but quite short lived. Turtles was the only big cartoon I really got in to for whatever reason.

Numero6 posted:

MOTU had a mix of scifi and magic but magic took a bigger part in the tv show. I remember it being called "science fantasy" in an article which is apt.

"Science Fantasy" is an older term often used to describe works like Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, John Carter and so on, where space was basically just a background for fantasy stories about larger than life heroes. "Space opera" is a more modern synonym for the same thing, and it's often conflated with "science fiction" these days; though, at least by original intention, "science fiction" has more of a focus on the speculative scientific elements and how those would impact individuals or society. George Lucas usually refers to Star Wars as either "science fantasy" or "space opera" for instance, even though it's regularly called "science fiction" in media. I think he's even corrected people about it occasionally. Certainly, I know he's answered question directly relating to that difference in terminology at the very least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

tsob posted:

All the 80's shows are getting remakes these days; maybe Dino Riders will get it's turn next. That, or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs; though that's an early 90's show, even if the comics it's adapted from are late 80's stuff. I'm kind of a weirdo though, because the big toy cartoons like He-Man, G.I. Joe and Transformers mostly passed me by somehow, but I loved M.A.S.K., Bravestarr, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and Botsmaster . They're all basically forgotten though, and are unlikely to get the same kind of attention or rejuvenation at any point. Dino Riders and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs were great too, but quite short lived. Turtles was the only big cartoon I really got in to for whatever reason.

There was an attempt to bring M.A.S.K. back by IDW comics, which was trying to make an expanded Hasbro universe (for lack of a better term) that included Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K.,* Rom the Space Knight and others I'm forgetting. None of them exactly set the world on fire save the series that were already trucking along. M.A.S.K. seems to remain in the public consciousness to a degree, but I don't think it's a terribly large degree.

*Like the bad guys in M.A.S.K. - Venom - were formally the high-concept R&D outfit for Cobra and they figured out how to make transforming vehicles by, well, studying Transformers. Stuff like that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Android Blues posted:

Kinda - the sword was magic, but Masters of the Universe was always a science fantasy pastiche with plenty of sci-fi elements. Like, Prince Adam's mother is an astronaut from Earth who crash lands on Eternia. The old She-Ra has a bunch of magic vs. tech stuff, like the Horde uses a combination of both to control the planet, and Hordak's tech powers are implied to be augmented with evil magic. The new show has expanded on these vague themes a lot, but it's working off something that was present in the original show.

I really remember their sciencey fliers, to me those would fit really well in She-Ra

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Catra isn't an incel, that'd mean they never hosed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mordaedil posted:

Catra isn't an incel, that'd mean they never hosed.

*Reviews the facts and runs the numbers.*

Checks out. :dukedog:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Scorpia is technically the most incel yet has the most powerful Energy by an order of magnitude. Discuss.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Naw, Scorpia's no incel. Scorpia isn't bitter about not getting any and focuses all her energies on being a good friend first and wanting to spend time with her crush second. She just needs to broaden her horizons more and she'd find others who can see her awesomeness for what it is. :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

"Incel" isn't just someone who isn't getting laid, it's someone who is not getting laid and is EXTREMELY bitter about it to the point that they've made it their entire identity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Which is Catra. She was good at being a force commander, but she fucks it all up because all she really cares about is getting Adora.

She made Adora carry the printers, then is upset that Adora isn't greatful for having that opportunity, to expand on the earlier medaphore.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
She also tries to cut Adora off from friends that are helping Adora improve her own lot in life and create a new identity and purpose for herself that doesn't revolve around Catra's ideal world, and blames Adora for it.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 25, 2019

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe the characters don't map 1:1 onto internet memes about types of people

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stenis posted:

Next up is the Meyers-Briggs type indicator! Is Hordak an INTJ?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Can you become an incel without being a virgin... :thunk:

how does one become incelated

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Can you become an incel without being a virgin... :thunk:

how does one become incelated

if you mean in real life, you wander into an incel community and get redpilled

if you mean in this tv show, i dunno, you eat a mushroom probably

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

punchymcpunch posted:

if you mean in real life, you wander into an incel community and get redpilled

if you mean in this tv show, i dunno, you eat a mushroom probably

the red 'nip is the worst :catdrugs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Motherfucker posted:

the red 'nip is the worst :catdrugs:

What about spooky apples?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Stenis posted:

Internet: DOES NOT COMPUTE

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I want Katra to try catnip next season.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

T-man posted:

I want Katra to try catnip next season.

The intervention episode.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Has anyone brought up that there are official Youtube channels for 80's He-Man and She-RA.

Here's a fun game watch The Secret of the Sword and take a shot every time you recognize something used in the new series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuscDdtxIQs

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I’m looking forward to next season where Scorpia starts carrying around a water bottle and squirting Catra whenever she starts her poo poo.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the chad she-ra vs the incel catra

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I started watching this show but I got to about episode 5 and the villains just seem comically incompetent. Do they ever actually pose a threat? The later seasons of the Clone Wars may have spoiled me for having kids shows that actually have dangerous villains.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I started watching this show but I got to about episode 5 and the villains just seem comically incompetent. Do they ever actually pose a threat? The later seasons of the Clone Wars may have spoiled me for having kids shows that actually have dangerous villains.

Not....really. That's kinda not the point though.
The villains do some horrible stuff but it's always clear it'll be fixed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I would say that the She-Ra bad guys are, in general, more of a second set of protagonists than dangerous villains. Certain characters do genuinely awful things and you can feel free to hate them for it but the show also isn't real fussed by the idea that you might like them better than the good guys.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CuwiKhons posted:

but the show also isn't real fussed by the idea that you might like them better than the good guys.

Simply because no one can deny how wonderful Scorpia is.

No one :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Taear posted:

Not....really. That's kinda not the point though.
The villains do some horrible stuff but it's always clear it'll be fixed.

I was just really underwhelmed with some people lazily patting some horde soldiers with palm fronds and them running away in terror in the 4th episode.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was just really underwhelmed with some people lazily patting some horde soldiers with palm fronds and them running away in terror in the 4th episode.

scorpia is almost defeated by a mop!!

(it's way way way way better than it sounds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I wonder if Catra's eventual fate is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0x0abUki8

Meanwhile it does kind of blow my mind that Catra's VA is AJ Michalka, who also voices Stevonnie on Steven Universe.

Hmm, if those show ever crossed over we'd reach some kind of gay singularity. And it would be awesome.