Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

The one link to Crampton is expired now :/

http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

I tried looking for another host but didn't find one, I forgot to save it locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I gave up on teattro grottesco near the end. It got a bit too tedious for me and I wanted to move on to

COOL CORN posted:

Maybe North American River Monsters next!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tertius Oculum posted:

The one link to Crampton is expired now :/

http://img.pathfinder.gr/clubs/files/1856/3337.txt

I tried looking for another host but didn't find one, I forgot to save it locally.

I have an .epub version I can upload if a mod okays it, not sure if it would be considered :filez:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I've already read it, but the people who haven't would appreciate it, if the mods approve. :0

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tertius Oculum posted:

I've already read it, but the people who haven't would appreciate it, if the mods approve. :0

If you have reasonable reason to believe that either 1) copyright has been waived or expired or 2) permission to share it has been granted by the copyright holder, then it's probably fine.

In this instance the fact that there's no mass market publication and that it was online for so long for free, even with links in articles that Ligotti was aware of, indicates it's probably fine to share. But if Ligotti curses you don't blame me.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 22, 2019

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Here it is for anyone interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0d25zcf41zqz03/Ligotti%2C%20Thomas_%20Trenz%2C%20Brandon%20-%20Crampton.epub?dl=1

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

At least one limited edition printing exists, by Dutro if I'm not mistaken.

yeah, David Tibet's publishing company put it out, it came with a cd of Ligotti reciting poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fetSoZFyBw

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Visible Filth just ruined me

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i can only imagine a ligotti curse would take the form of him spiritually manifesting at your bedside every night and telling you about his pork-beef-goat nonsense while you're trying to sleep, forever

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

My own white noise generator, sold.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, David Tibet's publishing company put it out, it came with a cd of Ligotti reciting poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fetSoZFyBw

They're both great artists in their own right, but good lord I'm getting a headache just thinking about being in the same room as both David Tibet and Thomas Ligotti at the same time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished Wounds. Goddamn.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I've now read two collections of Laird Barron and I can safely say I do not like Laird Barron.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Catfishenfuego posted:

I've now read two collections of Laird Barron and I can safely say I do not like Laird Barron.

Send them to me, I'll read em

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

I was going to say he's an acquired taste, but honestly even that's not really true. I think it's either up your alley, or it isn't, he doesn't seem to be the kind of writer where eventually somebody will stumble on a story that really does it for them. I personally love some aspects of his stories (the settings, the atmosphere, his particular brand of Blackwood inspired nature-as-cosmic-horror themes) but just can't take other aspects seriously (pretty much every protagonist, who could all be the same Jungian consciousness of "grizzled smoking, drinking, knife-wielding, kneecapping badass in over his head")

I hope he does try to push his boundaries a bit, because while I've probably read all his collections and most of his novels at this point, it's all felt pretty same-y. Swift to Chase had a gimmick that was sort of interesting in retrospect and I kind of hope he'll do more of that kind of thing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Brian Evenson has a new book out, Song for the Unravelling of the World.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
laird barron is not good

fez_machine posted:

this however is very good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

I don’t either

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally got around to reading Teatro Grottesco. maybe it only shows up in later collections, but the puppet thing was overstated - instead the recurring theme seemed to be the subjective and treacherous nature of consciousness and experienced reality, especially in the first half of "Retributive Action" and the entirety of "Gas Station Carnivals" and "The Bungalow House." also as expected his dismal, deadpan pessimism was right up my alley

laird barron is one of those writers who's apparently reached fame through inundation in lieu of having anything interesting to say, he's flooded the market with his work and it's all unflavored tapioca

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Don't read Laird Barron read Brian Evenson.

It's been five years, and it's still true.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Black Sloth story was pretty great

I like a lot of what he has written but have to agree with OP that the samey protagonists kinda ruins it for me over time.

But really even Laird Barron would agree the world needs more Nathan Ballingrud

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

MockingQuantum posted:

I was going to say he's an acquired taste, but honestly even that's not really true. I think it's either up your alley, or it isn't, he doesn't seem to be the kind of writer where eventually somebody will stumble on a story that really does it for them. I personally love some aspects of his stories (the settings, the atmosphere, his particular brand of Blackwood inspired nature-as-cosmic-horror themes) but just can't take other aspects seriously (pretty much every protagonist, who could all be the same Jungian consciousness of "grizzled smoking, drinking, knife-wielding, kneecapping badass in over his head")

I hope he does try to push his boundaries a bit, because while I've probably read all his collections and most of his novels at this point, it's all felt pretty same-y. Swift to Chase had a gimmick that was sort of interesting in retrospect and I kind of hope he'll do more of that kind of thing.

Yeah those are sort of my thoughts but much harsher in general. There's two stories I can think of that I really enjoyed and both felt like major departures from his other stories, which tended to combine my least favourite parts of Lovecraft with my least favourite parts of generic Crime/Noir fiction. For gods sake please stop having your monsters give long winded identical speeches about how they're timeless and unknowable and have such sights to show you, it's the opposite of scary. Also stop using the word occulted every time you mean it became dark.

The two I liked btw were The one where the lesbian couple hiding out from the abusive husband find a skinchanger pelt and the one where the tourists in India go to the weird avant-garde artist's piece at a construction site.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
can anyone recommend a decent horror shorts anthology (with various authors)? i already have the treasury of american horror stories (which is good and i'd recommend btw), so something without too much overlap would be great

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

nankeen posted:

can anyone recommend a decent horror shorts anthology (with various authors)? i already have the treasury of american horror stories (which is good and i'd recommend btw), so something without too much overlap would be great

Not sure what's in that collection, but two of my favorites are American Supernatural Tales and The Dark Descent

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

nankeen posted:

The Weird by the Jeff and Anne VanderMeer is world class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weird

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

fez_machine posted:

Thanks for recommending this; can anyone recommend some stories featuring flaming ghosts of Mormon amputee psychiatrists

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

nankeen posted:

You may want to look into Ellen Datlow and her anthologies. She's a well respected editor and anthologist that puts together 'best horror of the year' type collections.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, the Best Horror of the Year collections are pretty good (at least the ones I've read), and she recently released the ponderously titled Best of the Best Horror of the Year for the 10th anniversary, so that may be a good starting point. I haven't looked at what's in it, but like any "best of the year" collections the individual books inevitably have some weaker stories so it might be a good survey of the series overall.

I will say that I generally agree that Ellen Datlow is a good anthologist, but occasionally some of her more heavily themed collections are real duds. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but the ocean-themed horror one had a lot of iffy stories in it.

Seconding The Weird, I've had it for a couple of years and barely put a dent in it, it collects some fantastic classic weird fiction along with some authors I never would have heard of otherwise, and does a decent job of pulling a pretty wide net in terms of what authors are represented. It'll last you a long time.

If you're interested in more Cosmic Horror inspired stuff, The Book of Cthulhu I & II, edited by Ross Lockhart, are both very solid and he seemed to have made a point to track down a variety of stories that cover the gamut from pretty well-written pastiches, to send-ups of the more ridiculous elements of the subgenre, to interesting modern reimaginings. In the same vein, there are the Black Wings of Cthulhu collections, though I'd only bother with the first two. Every one after that (that I've taken the time to dig into) has been pretty weak.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Fourth of July Creek certainly isn't horror but it does feature something I found pretty unsettling and at times scary. There's a family that lives in the woods of Montana, prophesying the end times are coming soon and generally believing just about every conspiracy theory possible.

The fact that the husband and wife were once regular people who slowly became unhinged extremists, the kids seeing the insane rants of their parents as just normal mealtime conversations, the unending paranoia and preparation for some sort of final confrontation and the fact that the non-crazy protagonist never knew if they trusted him or were preparing to kill him, and of course the rural setting which they know like the back of their hand but other characters struggle to navigate in... All of that made me wonder if there was a good horror story along these lines. Any recommendations?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm about 70 pages into Paperbacks From Hell and already I'm LOVING IT. What a ridiculous fun read and I've added so many things to my "to read" list now.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

I'm about 70 pages into Paperbacks From Hell and already I'm LOVING IT. What a ridiculous fun read and I've added so many things to my "to read" list now.

Is it kind of like stephen king's danse macabre, but for books from that time period? I got some good book recommendations from danse macabre and enjoyed his musings about writing. Reading the description though, it sounds like it's more about the cover art than the contents of the books?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The British Library Tales of the Weird anthologies are generally really good and full of obscure writers who put out like, 3 amazing stories in a periodical in the 30's.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Is it kind of like stephen king's danse macabre, but for books from that time period? I got some good book recommendations from danse macabre and enjoyed his musings about writing. Reading the description though, it sounds like it's more about the cover art than the contents of the books?

Yeah. It's more about the contents of the out of print books than just the covers, but if you're after the artwork it is also overflowing with full color pictures.

It's awesome though because Grady Hendrix has teamed up with Valancourt Books and they have actually started to hunt down the rights to a lot of the books mentioned and started to republish them in new editions and roll out ebook versions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

With the original covers to boot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And if you hunt around you can still find some of the books for cheap. I have a copy of Satan's Love Child coming to me for $8 shipped :toot:

I still wish I could find a copy of Let's Go Play at the Adams' for cheap. I'm realizing I'm more drawn to the sick and depraved stuff :shrug:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Anyone here familiar with Adam Nevill? I picked up the short story collection Some Will Not Sleep on a lark because it was only 3 bucks but I'm really enjoying it. Things get wonderfully weird while (so far) never diving into grotesqueries per se (although Mother's Milk might come closest).

Highly recommend it. After this one, I'll definitely jump further into his bibliography.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LBBQV7W/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 2, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Anyone here familiar with Adam Nevill? I picked up the short story collection Some Will Not Sleep on a lark because it was only 3 bucks but I'm really enjoying it. Things get wonderfully weird while (so far) never diving into grotesqueries per se (although Mother's Milk might come closest).

Highly recommend it. After this one, I'll definitely jump further into his bibliography.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LBBQV7W/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

House of Small Shadows has been talked about in this thread before, and I liked it a lot.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's been some talk of Neville earlier on in the thread yeah.

He's generally good, though his later works have felt like he's running low on ideas imho. My favorite from him is Last Days.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i dont like him except for his short story "where angels come in" which is good and also the netflix adaptation (which is good) of his book the ritual (which is not good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He has a new novel out at the end of October!

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-reddening/adam-nevill/9781916094116

quote:

The Reddening is an epic story of folk and prehistoric horrors, written by the author of The Ritual, Last Days, No One Gets Out Alive and the three times winner of The August Derleth Award for Best Horror Novel.

:dance: