Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Didnt Zach Braff beat a child to death or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

immortalyawn posted:

Lmao what

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

immortalyawn posted:

I think the worst I've ever heard him accused of is making a pretty bad movie?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

uh, you mean this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How do you miss punching someone in the stomach in a street fight? Zach Braff sucks at fighting.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kind of surprised hidden camera prank shows like that didn’t have more violence honestly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They probably do, it just relatively rarely involves celebrities.

Solice Kirsk posted:

How do you miss punching someone in the stomach in a street fight? Zach Braff sucks at fighting.

Most people do, and that's a good thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Most people don't throw body shots in a bar/street fight. It's usually just the Barroom Haymaker.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bobjr posted:

I’m kind of surprised hidden camera prank shows like that didn’t have more violence honestly.

Ellen Pompeo did threaten to stab a waitress in one ep but Justin Timberlake crying and Elijah Wood feeling awful were the best episodes imo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also one where Seth Green thought he was going to be killed by gangsters or something because he realized the federal agents arresting him had the wrong letters on their jackets and wouldn’t acknowledge it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing I remember everyone being angry at Zach Braff about was him funding his lovely indie movie via Kickstarter.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

bobjr posted:

I'm surprised no-one gets shot.

I'd imagine that some celebs must carry, given that a) they look like they have lots od money and b) absolutely insane fans.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Netflix put Pocahontas on my list for some reason so I watched a bit of it and I gotta say it's really weird seeing the whole "noble savage" thing played 100% straight in 2019. I kind of wonder if that movie was what made it start fall out of favor.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

The Moon Monster posted:

Netflix put Pocahontas on my list for some reason so I watched a bit of it and I gotta say it's really weird seeing the whole "noble savage" thing played 100% straight in 2019. I kind of wonder if that movie was what made it start fall out of favor.

Mel Gibson voices the main guy John Smith.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gaunab posted:

Mel Gibson voices the main guy John Smith.

They also made John Smith a clean-shaven blonde pretty boy instead of the doughy beard-o he actually was.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Pocahontas was always such a sweet inspirational story in elementary school textbooks. She helped the colonists, got married, became the toast of Europe, died of small pox all before the age of 21 because she was dead by then.

Perfect material for a Disney movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Here this is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARX0-AylFI

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is 30 minutes long

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Len posted:

This is 30 minutes long

Yeah, it's pretty short for one of Lindsay's videos.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's also not really good. I don't get the obsession with her. I tried watching The Hobbit review thingy and it was like watching a student film, only it was complaining about a bad movie. If that's your thing then more power to you, but I really don't get the appeal. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'd rather read a blog post than watch a 30 minute video and I miss the days when people wrote things rather than made monetized YouTube videos

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you want to analyse a movie the ability to show clips is an advantage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you want to analyse a movie the ability to show clips is an advantage.

Embed clips in the essay on a blog then. It comes down to taste but that's why to this day I still haven't watched the Episode 1 review the internet lost its mind about

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't get the obsession with that either. It's the most annoying voice I've ever heard and that review is like 4 hours long or something.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I'd rather read a blog post than watch a 30 minute video and I miss the days when people wrote things rather than made monetized YouTube videos

it very much reads like an essay that ranges over a number of topics related to exactly why pocahontas sucks as a film and as doctor spaceman said, it's way easier to criticize media when you can throw in all kinds of examples of what you're talking about without describing them

tldr

-pocahontas was awful because they totally botched the character of pocahontas, made her super sexy and the noblest of savages, and then tried to be all 90's enlightened by saying "both sides did bad stuff" regarding european settlement of north america
-it was also crazy culturally appropriative
-disney is branded as light children's entertainment so they stumble real hard when they try to talk about non-white narratives or colonialism
-disney learned though and made much less offensive films, notably lilo and stich, and moana was basically pocahontas again but done much better (still kinda bad)
-disney also continues to stumble though with stuff like the princess and the frog
-so disney is doing better at portraying characters other than white but they have a long way to go

Len posted:

Embed clips in the essay on a blog then

gonna suck in a year when people are trying to read your essay and half the links are dead

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Seems kinda weird to complain about someone dissecting why a movie didn't age well in a thread devoted to stuff that didn't age well. 98 percent of youtube is puerile trash and gamers so Lindsey's videos are fine by me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Moana is great and I will fight you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

luxury handset posted:

it very much reads like an essay that ranges over a number of topics related to exactly why pocahontas sucks as a film and as doctor spaceman said, it's way easier to criticize media when you can throw in all kinds of examples of what you're talking about without describing them

tldr

-pocahontas was awful because they totally botched the character of pocahontas, made her super sexy and the noblest of savages, and then tried to be all 90's enlightened by saying "both sides did bad stuff" regarding european settlement of north america
-it was also crazy culturally appropriative
-disney is branded as light children's entertainment so they stumble real hard when they try to talk about non-white narratives or colonialism
-disney learned though and made much less offensive films, notably lilo and stich, and moana was basically pocahontas again but done much better (still kinda bad)
-disney also continues to stumble though with stuff like the princess and the frog
-so disney is doing better at portraying characters other than white but they have a long way to go

gonna suck in a year when people are trying to read your essay and half the links are dead

That video is 2 years old and still up. You trying to tell me if she's posted the relevant clips on her YouTube they would be gone?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

That video is 2 years old and still up. You trying to tell me if she's posted the relevant clips on her YouTube they would be gone?

folks don't really like you cutting and rehosting a bunch of short clips of their copyrighted content on your page. it's a ton of work

now, maybe if you collected all those clips together into one big video, it would be easier to repackage under fair use. maybe also you could put a little narration over it or something to contextualize it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Moana is great and I will fight you.

Moana is great but its handling of Polynesian culture is a bit iffy. It's obviously not intended to be disrespectful but it still somewhat is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

luxury handset posted:

folks don't really like you cutting and rehosting a bunch of short clips of their copyrighted content on your page. it's a ton of work

now, maybe if you collected all those clips together into one big video, it would be easier to repackage under fair use. maybe also you could put a little narration over it or something to contextualize it

I mean maybe but I'm going to click the link see it's someone talking about a movie for 1/3 of the run time and close the tab. Ain't nobody got time for that when there's still shitloads of movies and TV shows I haven't seen.

Now you give me the ability to read what they have to say when I'm sitting at my desk that doesn't have speakers and you're onto something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

I mean maybe but I'm going to click the link see it's someone talking about a movie for 1/3 of the run time and close the tab. Ain't nobody got time for that when there's still shitloads of movies and TV shows I haven't seen.

Now you give me the ability to read what they have to say when I'm sitting at my desk that doesn't have speakers and you're onto something.

So video essays don't work for you as a medium. Don't watch them! Problem solved!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Moon Monster posted:

The best thing about Pocahontas is that Disney was convinced it was going to be a huge critical success - animators working on the Lion King were trying to switch teams so they could get away from the stupid talking animal movie and work on the serious historical drama...

And then it came out and everyone was "What is this racist bullshit?" and "This is historically offensive even by Disney's standards", while the Lion King became a beloved hit for a generation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So video essays don't work for you as a medium. Don't watch them! Problem solved!

A solution they mentioned in their first post even. I don’t see why Len can’t post their opinions and reasoning for it?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Len posted:

I've gone the same way. So many of those video essays are overly long, basic film crit / media 101 and full of skits / forced comedy that it's much faster to watch the subject show and turn off if you don't like it. Lindsay Ellis has made some fine points but she's practically part of the machine she's criticising.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

if you spent thirty minutes reading something vs watching a thirty minute video, it shakes out

i get not wanting to watch lots of bad video, or read lots of bad words, but lindasy ellis generally is real good at media criticism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It does not take thirty minutes to read the same amount of info as a thirty minute video

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Len posted:

Embed clips in the essay on a blog then. It comes down to taste but that's why to this day I still haven't watched the Episode 1 review the internet lost its mind about

Assuming you're talking about the Plinkett review, you're not missing a single thing imo. It's slow and droning and parts of it are creepy as gently caress.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't get the obsession with that either. It's the most annoying voice I've ever heard and that review is like 4 hours long or something.

People were upset that the prequels weren't what they wanted or as good as they should have been and someone doing a massive takedown of it gave them something to rally around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

while the Lion King became a beloved hit for a generation.

I'd argue it's the best of the 90s Disney renaissance films, at least for the target market.

They had such a solid series of movies but Lion King (and Aladdin) are the two that keep kids entertained from start to finish.

Beauty and the Beast is of course great still but it does have a lot that goes over kids heads and bores them in the middle. It just feels a bit more targeted towards young teens and up than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

The best thing about Pocahontas is that Disney was convinced it was going to be a huge critical success - animators working on the Lion King were trying to switch teams so they could get away from the stupid talking animal movie and work on the serious historical drama...

And then it came out and everyone was "What is this racist bullshit?" and "This is historically offensive even by Disney's standards", while the Lion King became a beloved hit for a generation.

Well the animation IS pretty great, although it makes Virginia look more like Pandora or possibly Valinor.